Menu

Truthquest History....

MrsMe

Is it worth buying just for the commentary?

I read the samples over and while I need more help and planning than that, I was wondering if the commentary in the guides were worth having. Just the TM. I thought they were excellent, but I don't know if it's good throughout, or just simply had a great commentary on the sample.

You know, something good for mom's to learn from and use in our teachings.

I didn't really understand TQ until we started using it. When you use it along with the books for the time period, it is awesome! Best year of history we have ever had.

Could you explain a little more about what it actually is, and how it works? There seems to be this idea that it is a booklist, but I think it seems to be more but don't totally get what is involved/included! thanks.

Could you explain a little more about what it actually is, and how it works? There seems to be this idea that it is a booklist, but I think it seems to be more but don't totally get what is involved/included! thanks.

All that is included in the guide is the commentary and a book list for each topic. That is why it seems like not much. But once we started reading through the commentary and each topic, history became so much richer than just reading facts and figures. Yes, we learned about places and people and events. But the commentary weaved a larger thread showing how each event in history is influenced by our view of God.

Well, I bought it for the commentary and, for me, it is worth it. I was already using most of the books that were in the booklist anyway so I didn't need it for that. We used it last year for Ancients and I learned alot from the commentary. It made me look at history in a different way. It also has helped in my teaching history to my kids.

Yes, I think it's worth it for the commentary. We're not using it right now, but when we did I had several "aha" moments after reading the commentary. I love how she shows cause and effect -- how the policies and ideas of a certain era led to future policies and ideas.

Guest momk2000
If you have a good working knowledge of history yourself, then maybe. If not, then I would say no. As someone who has little memory of the history I studied in hs and college, the TQ guides didn't compute for me.

Michelle

:iagree:

If you have a good working knowledge of history yourself, then maybe. If not, then I would say no. As someone who has little memory of the history I studied in hs and college, the TQ guides didn't compute for me.

Michelle

Did you read the accompanying books or other books about time period of just the commentary?

Did you read the accompanying books or other books about time period of just the commentary?

We did a year of it and read books from the book lists about the time period. But for me, with little memory for history, the commentary didn't cut it. I had to use a different book for a spine to tie things together in my mind.

Michelle

We did a year of it and read books from the book lists about the time period. But for me, with little memory for history, the commentary didn't cut it. I had to use a different book for a spine to tie things together in my mind.

Michelle

I could see that. We used the spines scheduled in the TQ Guide which worked very well.

I can see the benefit of using it with the different stages. The books could be useful for grammar stagers for facts. The commentary is helpful for dialectic stagers for making connections. The Rhetorics could write about what they learned. There are writing assignments in the guide.

BTW, I heard some peopple had trouble finding the books. Anyone have trouble with that?

They're only $25, maybe you should try one & see? I did that last year--I used Mystery of History with books I chose from Sonlight and other sources, so I didn't really need the TQ booklists, but I wanted to use some of the commentary, maybe the questions etc... We used the Ancient Egypt & Greece one. I do think the content is good. In the end, I think I tried to juggle too many resources, so I ended up not keeping up with it (didn't get Rome). But, it might still work for you & the resale value is good too.

Merry :-)

BTW, I heard some peopple had trouble finding the books. Anyone have trouble with that?

I have been wondering about this as well. I love the looks of Truthquest and I think it might be a really good fit for my oldest. I wish that I could tell how many books I would be able to find in kindle format.

Janet

I started to post yesterday, but I lost it due to my internet. So, I'll try again.

My oldest daughter uses Truthquest. She began in grade 7 with Greece, then we followed in the next years with Rome, Middle Ages, Ren. & Ref. Next year we will be beginning AOR 1. I have no trouble finding spines or resources. When we began, I used the library a lot. Now I tend to purchase, just because I do not get to the library often enough. I have always based the spine books on the age level and maturity level. Sometimes she still likes books that are a lower age because they are fast reads and often tell a good story that works well with the curriculum. I do not have a problem with that because it is paired with spine books at the highest level and also many fiction ones that are also high level.

My younger daughter does not do well with programs that are specifically literature based. Her brain is wired as a math/science/music lover, so literature is just not her thing. She will be using Mystery of History Vol 1 next year and most likely I will be pulling Truthquest items out to pair with it. However, I will not expect her to do all the reading and comprehending on her own.

My older daughter follows a plan that I make and we discuss a little bit, but not every day. We do use the ThinkWrite questions. Sometimes I ask her to write a report, other times we just discuss.

I think the plan is more than just commentary to add to other curriculums. I think it is pretty complete, especially if you use spines, add mapwork, reports, discussions, and maybe a timeline.

The new A Journey for Learning materials might be a big help, depending on the ages of your children. The samples are on the TQ website and also on AJL website.

On the Kindle question, I do see many of the spines that we use for Kindle. Now having a Kindle, I haven't purchased any. We have talked about it, but my daughter likes to have the book in hand and leave bookmarks. She doesn't like to read the books on the computer, so I often wonder if the Kindle experience would be similar.

Best of luck with your decision.

encouragement? I am thinking about starting this with my 7th grade daughter. I was planning on doing a unit study with her, but with my work schedule, I feel that I wouldn't do it justice.

I like the looks of Truthquest and feel that maybe she could work independently with some input from me, but I'm scared to take the plunge. (I have bought ALOT of curriculum in my 21 years of homeschooling! ;)

Anyway, is it easy for you to implement? Does your daughter like it? What are the pros and cons in your experience with it?

Anyone else can also jump in, as well.

Thanks in advance. . . .

BTW, I heard some people had trouble finding the books. Anyone have trouble with that?

The author tells you up front not to stress over using only the books she's included. However, I purchased a WinterPromise history program 4 years ago, and now that we're using TQ for our second run at Amer history I have found that most of the WP titles are also cited in TQ. So there are many "in print" books included.

We've completed 3 weeks of AHYS1 and I am in love with TQ at the moment (stay tuned for the next 5 years or so to find out whether the love lasts. :D) So far the commentary has been sparse, but I think there is more at the World History level. The thoughts presented are compelling, though. I do think it's of more value as the basis for your own program than as a supplement. I bought it originally planning to use it as a supplement to WP and found our plates were too full to supplement anyway.

For implementation...I make a schedule where I list out the spine books down the left side of the page and acrossthe top lists the days of the week. I use a donnayoung file that is a 6 week spreadsheet. Then I begin dividing the table of contents into the number of weeks we plan to have school. I look through the guide and pick out any fiction, movies, or anything else to add to the spines. I try to plan the entire year and do this over the summer.

Then I print out the schedule and place it in a binder. She takes the binder and plans her day with her other studies and checks off as completed. Last year I had her recording the amount of clock time as well so I could keep better track for credit purposes.

Now, I am not the best planner is spreading out the materials. So some days will be jam packed and others not have so much.

Pro's/Con's ... Sometimes I would just like a plan made for me, especially when I do not have a lot of energy. In my experience, this does not work well for us, so I am continuing with my planning. Sometimes I pick out a book and when it arrives, I really do not like it. It seems to not be a good fit. The spines have been okay, but this happens with other book selections. As far as pro's, I like how each study seems to weave the same beliefs through. It is Christian based and I like that. She has learned how many governments have worked in many civilizations and she remembers them. I never learned that in school.

We are beginning AOR 1 this year. I am still making the plan, but am getting there. This one is very intimidating for me as it is a larger book than the previous ones. I think I will be trimming it down a bit to fit it in, especially if we want to hit AOR 2 and 3 before graduating.

I may think of other things later. If I do, I will pass them on.

Opinions please--we're new to homeschooling!

I am thinking I'd like to use Beautiful Feet Early Am Hist (primary) plus TruthQuest together to cover exploration to 1865 over two years with my 7 year old son. I'm imagining having BF be the grid/guide for when to do what but using TQ to supplement with resources in areas where we want more depth or in spots where BF just doesn't touch on topics (like I think Roanoke isn't mentioned at all in BF). I also like the questions/narration that BF provides for after you read, but I like the narrations in TQ for before you cover certain areas. So could this be a really nice blend?

I think this will work OK this year, since so much of the year is on Pilgrims, etc. and the later stuff is barely touched on. But then I realized that next year, I'll mostly be without a schedule/grid b/c so much of the end of the year is compressed in BF. Is this a bad idea for a new homeschooler? I keep thinking it'll be awfully fast to do through 1865 in one year...

Any advice you've got is appreciated!

Hi, SnowWhite!

Were you replying to me? Did you mean that lots of families do what I'm thinking about with BF and TQ? That would be great to know! I'm going back and forth between thinking this is a great idea and thinking I'm biting off more than we can chew :tongue_smilie:

thanks!

Oh, now you've got me looking at TruthQuest Amer. History for Young Students I. I was "settled" on Guesthollow (I love the hands on and all the reading), but would love something a little more Biblical/Christian in perspective. Maybe just adding in the Peter Marshall books would do that :confused:, but I wonder if there is more to TQ than that? I like that I'm seeing a timeline and lapbook, DD will like that.

What is a day in TQ for a 2nd grader really like? Is there really that much "Christian perspective" woven in at that level at the US history stage?

(hope I'm not hijacking this thread :))

Thanks!

Wendy

Hi, SnowWhite!

Were you replying to me? Did you mean that lots of families do what I'm thinking about with BF and TQ? That would be great to know! I'm going back and forth between thinking this is a great idea and thinking I'm biting off more than we can chew :tongue_smilie:

thanks!

Yes, correct, sorry I should have quoted you! I have been on the HIStoryquesters yahoo group (official TQ group, Michelle Miller the author reads and graciously posts frequently) for 4 years and heard lots of folks mention BF. Many TQ families do more orally than BF has laid out though. BF gives you a good way to get a handle on a book package. (like WP did for me).

I have the TQ guide (AH1), but the book list is hugely overwhelming to me. It's nice to have a list of so many resources, but I can't sort through it all.

I'm hoping that the using Story of the Great Republic and Story of the Thirteen Colonies, by H.A. Guerber, will be enough of a spine. I have some Scholastic activity books to do various activities to go along with it, too, but I think I will need mapping activities, etc.

I like the flexibility, but I am having a hard time getting a good schedule together. I really wish this had a schedule like Apologia Zoology notebooking journals do.

Oh, now you've got me looking at TruthQuest Amer. History for Young Students I. I was "settled" on Guesthollow (I love the hands on and all the reading), but would love something a little more Biblical/Christian in perspective. Maybe just adding in the Peter Marshall books would do that :confused:, but I wonder if there is more to TQ than that? I like that I'm seeing a timeline and lapbook, DD will like that.

What is a day in TQ for a 2nd grader really like? Is there really that much "Christian perspective" woven in at that level at the US history stage?

(hope I'm not hijacking this thread :))

Thanks!

Wendy

Wendy,

I'm no expert b/c I've only had my TQ manual for a day! But Michelle clearly weaves a Christian perspective through history with her narrations. Some are a page; others are only a paragraph. I love how she introduces TQ by explaining that history should be focused on God working in the world instead of on people (that's an awful paraphrase on my part).

Not to complicate your life, but we're also using Beautiful Feet Early Am History (primary) and it also has a wonderful Christian focus. They've got these five principles that it has the child learn through poems (like self governed instead of needing a ruler) and some days, BF just has you look up Bible verses for the lesson!

HTH,

christina

Yes, correct, sorry I should have quoted you! I have been on the HIStoryquesters yahoo group (official TQ group, Michelle Miller the author reads and graciously posts frequently) for 4 years and heard lots of folks mention BF. Many TQ families do more orally than BF has laid out though. BF gives you a good way to get a handle on a book package. (like WP did for me).

Thanks so much for the info! I am going to join that group and see what they have to say. Maybe someone will even have some suggestions for my BF/TQ master plan :D

We are in that "don't like to write too much" camp ourselves but I plan to do a lot with narration instead of writing/coloring. I think what you said is right on--that BF is giving me a way to figure out how to read through so many terrific books with enough of a schedule that we're not lost. This will be our first full year HSing, so I need some structure for sure!

WP looks lovely and I considered it, too, but it seemed like too much for us to tackle with everything else in the schedule (so many activities, and I'd want to do all of them--being type A is dangerous). I keep seeing it on the Sale board and wanting to buy it, though. So maybe in a few years, we'll jump into WP!

thanks again for the advice!

christina

We're using the American history guides from TQ. The book lists can be overwhelming but keep in mind she is giving you lots of choices to fit individual tastes, availability and how much time you have to devote to history study.

At first the guides just look like a long list of books but she has a heading for each stage in history with sub-headings for specific people or events. She does a great job of keeping the focus on America since this is written for 1-6th grade.

The book lists are not only set up chronologically but by reading level as well. So, you can use the guides for many grade levels. I love the commentaries which can be very short to quite long. Each topic starts with the spine and what the parent should read if they aren't confident in their history knowledge so you're learning along with your child. If she lists a spine she tells what chapter and/or pages to read for that particular topic.

She includes movies and coloring/activity books as well.

Some books haven't been in our library system but I've been able to find some great alternatives and she asks us to let her know if we've found a really great resource.

The yahoo group is great and there are schedules posted by many members.

My one issue, and it's my own flaw, is I can get bogged down in the topics because there are so many options and my son has to remind me to move along. I try to choose 2-3 books and an activity book if one is listed per major topic.

The lapbooks and notebooking pages from A Journey Through Learning are really helping me stay focused on a time schedule. I highly recommend them.

I have truly gotten a clear perspective on American history.

• 7 months later...
Opinions please--we're new to homeschooling!

I am thinking I'd like to use Beautiful Feet Early Am Hist (primary) plus TruthQuest together to cover exploration to 1865 over two years with my 7 year old son. I'm imagining having BF be the grid/guide for when to do what but using TQ to supplement with resources in areas where we want more depth or in spots where BF just doesn't touch on topics (like I think Roanoke isn't mentioned at all in BF). I also like the questions/narration that BF provides for after you read, but I like the narrations in TQ for before you cover certain areas. So could this be a really nice blend?

I think this will work OK this year, since so much of the year is on Pilgrims, etc. and the later stuff is barely touched on. But then I realized that next year, I'll mostly be without a schedule/grid b/c so much of the end of the year is compressed in BF. Is this a bad idea for a new homeschooler? I keep thinking it'll be awfully fast to do through 1865 in one year...

Any advice you've got is appreciated!

I know this is an old thread, but this is what I have been thinking about also. . .combining Truthquest, BF, and some sort of spine for my two boys next year. Did anyone do this plan? Did it work out?

You have to choose your own pace. I have spent a year on AHYS1 this year. I am going to try to get past WW2 and the Depression (so AHYS2 and half of AHYS3) next year. It will be a challenge. I plan to do Beginnings simultaneously in "Bible" study fashion and I plan to do Greece and Rome in one semester each. I cannot imagine a whole year on Greece and a whole year on Rome!

• 1 month later...

Reviving this one again! I am a Sonlight user, getting ready to go into Core D, which is American History. I am finding myself really drawn to TQ. I am thinking it may give us more of the "HIStory" component that, for me, is lacking with SL. Does anyone know whether a lot of the books listed by TQ are on the SL book lists? Has anyone ever combined these two? I may need to start another thread asking about this specifically, but since others here were talking about combining WP or BF with TQ, I thought this may be a good place to start!

I know this is an old thread, but this is what I have been thinking about also. . .combining Truthquest, BF, and some sort of spine for my two boys next year. Did anyone do this plan? Did it work out?

I missed this thread when it was revived back in March, but I'll comment now. We planned to combine BF with TQ when I was researching and planning last summer. What we ended up doing in reality was just using the TQ guide and we LOVED it!

I bought the whole BF book package for primary American History, and the books are lovely, but the BF guide was paced too slowly for us. It had us spacing out a D'Aulaire book on Columbus over more than a week (going from memory here). We read that book in one day!

Basically, I ended up wanting to cover more topics in greater depth than BF did, so we used all of the BF books but we used TQ as our guide and added in a bunch more TQ-recommended books. We read about 90 books this year just for history, and it's my son's favorite subject.

So nothing against BF, but TQ was a much better fit for us. I've already purchased AHYS II and III for next year and the year after!

HTH,

Christina

Reviving this one again! I am a Sonlight user, getting ready to go into Core D, which is American History. I am finding myself really drawn to TQ. I am thinking it may give us more of the "HIStory" component that, for me, is lacking with SL. Does anyone know whether a lot of the books listed by TQ are on the SL book lists? Has anyone ever combined these two? I may need to start another thread asking about this specifically, but since others here were talking about combining WP or BF with TQ, I thought this may be a good place to start!

We used TQH for middle and high school with my oldest. LOVE it! :D "I" learned so much right along with my ds, including the love of HIS-story.

I'm sure many of the SL books are recommended, but please know you can use any book on a topic with TQ. Michelle (the author) gives lists of either books she's read and loved or others have told her about. They aren't, however, a list of "read these". Use whatever you have available. She also gives several spine options for most topics. Again, they aren't must reads, just suggested options with page numbers that correlate.

If you're looking for HIS-story, TQH is excellent!

Just wanted to add that we combine TQ with the free curriculum guide from http://www.simplycharlottemason.com. So far, this has worked great to give me a handle on how many books are doable for a year. I also pull in a few extra books (usually AO or a TQ 'don't miss' book). Last year I typed out a day one, day two, etc. plan for our books and commentary readings and lists for the kids to read independently. It was a great year...better than our first when I tried to wing it and felt very crammed at years end:)

SCM also has teacher guides for $11...I'm going to try that for next year to have it planned for me, and will just jot in when to read what page of the TQ commentary. I'll likely add a couple more books. And I like to jot the history movies TQ recommends into my schedule, too. LOVE TQ:) It's great for teaching the kids a biblical worldview. Just last week my nearly 10yo commented out of the blue that Obama wanting to let men marry men was just like the WWII era and the views were still happening. We'd just read about evolutionary ideas, devaluing of people, Hitler, and how people start to believe their own ideas and not God's plan, etc. Anyway, HTH some:) Gina

We used TQH for middle and high school with my oldest. LOVE it! :D "I" learned so much right along with my ds, including the love of HIS-story.

I'm sure many of the SL books are recommended, but please know you can use any book on a topic with TQ. Michelle (the author) gives lists of either books she's read and loved or others have told her about. They aren't, however, a list of "read these". Use whatever you have available. She also gives several spine options for most topics. Again, they aren't must reads, just suggested options with page numbers that correlate.

If you're looking for HIS-story, TQH is excellent!

Thank you so much for this post! From the way you talk about it, I am thinking that TQH should be my "spine," rather than Sonlight. I am nervous about going to a less scheduled curriculum, but when I really think about it, I don't usually use my SL IG "as is" anyway! I love the fact that they have coordinated the readings, but I don't read things all broken up, the way SL has them scheduled. TQ may end up being exactly what I have wished SL was!