Menu

Stupid airline prices!!! :(

So my Grandma just passed away this afternoon, and I'm looking at airline tickets to attend the funeral. Cheapest I've found so far is $480!!! It'd cost me almost $600 to fly SouthWest (which *used* to be the cheap option :glare: ). This is all before the taxes and baggage fees (although I'd trick to stick to just a carry-on), plus my husband's time off work.

I may not be able to attend her funeral due to the cost, and it suuuuuuucks. :(

So sorry about the loss of your grandmother. WHen is the funeral? They raise airfares on certain days of the week and I think today was the day. It is often cheaper to fly on a Tuesday and booking flights early in the week seems to yield cheaper fares. PRices are outrageous right now though. I sympathize. Have you looked at those 'last minute' flight sites?

So my Grandma just passed away this afternoon, and I'm looking at airline tickets to attend the funeral. Cheapest I've found so far is $480!!! It'd cost me almost $600 to fly SouthWest (which *used* to be the cheap option :glare: ). This is all before the taxes and baggage fees (although I'd trick to stick to just a carry-on), plus my husband's time off work.

I may not be able to attend her funeral due to the cost, and it suuuuuuucks. :(

Inquire with the airlines about bereavement fares. I am sorry for your loss.

So sorry about the loss of your grandmother. WHen is the funeral? They raise airfares on certain days of the week and I think today was the day. It is often cheaper to fly on a Tuesday and booking flights early in the week seems to yield cheaper fares. PRices are outrageous right now though. I sympathize. Have you looked at those 'last minute' flight sites?

There isn't a set time for the funeral yet, so I don't know when exactly I'll have to fly. I'm just looking around right now, comparing airlines and flight days to see what my optimal window might be (for example, so far it looks like I might be able to squeak out the money for a flight to the funeral if it's next Wednesday, but if it's on Friday it'll be way beyond our budget.)

I hope you're right and prices will go down on Monday. :(

:grouphug:

I know. I just bought plane tickets for an upcoming wedding and now I feel like I'm missing a few limbs... :001_huh:

Really. They should give you steep discounts for bereavement rates. When I looked into bereavement rates for my mother's funeral they were more than their regular tickets. Prices are ridiculous.

Edited by bonniebeth4

Inquire with the airlines about bereavement fares. I am sorry for your loss.

When I flew home for my grandfather's funeral the bereavement fares were more than a regular ticket through expedia.

I'm sorry for your loss, Xuzi. Tickets are expensive. I flew home for my grandfather's funeral alone and paid almost that price from Hawaii to Dallas. :grouphug:

I'm sorry for your loss. Air ticket prices have just sky-rocketed this year. :( Have you checked out comparison sites such as kayak.com?

Yes, I've been looking at Kayak.

Bereavement rates are like others have said, more expensive than what I can get for without the "discount". :glare:

I am so sorry for your loss.

Have you tried lastminute.com?

We just flew coast to coast with DS7 and DS10, and with timing, had to also give certain crucial meds to DS7 midflight. They refused to seat us together, even though we checked in online 24 hours in advance, AND phoned them. They saw no reason why a 7YO would need to sit with his parents, and definitely not a 10YO. We were scattered throughout the plane. I was steamed!

Yes, I've been looking at Kayak.

Bereavement rates are like others have said, more expensive than what I can get for without the "discount". :glare:

Bereavement tickets cost more because you can change flights on them if you need to. You are not guaranteeing that you will be on a certain flight. The cheapest tickets don't allow you to change flights without steep penalties. We used bereavement tickets when my FIL died unexpectedly and we didn't know for certain how long we would be staying to help my MIL. We did have to change the time and date of the return flight home thanks to stupid funeral home delays. In the end the berevement tickets were less than buying the cheap tickets with locked in flights because we would have completely lost our money on those and had to pay again for a different flight to get home after the funeral schedule changed.