Menu

it will get drunk?

"Don't worry about making too much lemonade. It will get __________?"

If you want to avoid the word "drunk," you could say, "consumed," "used up," or a similar term, or rephrase completely.

"Don't worry about making too much lemonade. There is no such thing as too much!"

"Don't worry about making too much lemonade. We'll drink it all!"

How about, "It will be drank"?

That is improper grammar. "Drank" is the simple past. "Drunk" is the past participle. This sentence is in the passive voice, which is formed by "to be" + the past participle not the simple past. That's akin to saying "The boat will be sank" rather than "The boat will be sunk."

I agree with the other poster that changing it to the active voice "We'll drink it (all)." is probably the best choice.

Drunk is the correct word. If it bothers you, I'd say go with the suggestions for alternative terms.

Okay, thanks for the responses. It doesn't bother me if I know it is the correct way to say it. All of a sudden, though, I wasn't so sure.

Well....off to the beach now with our gallon full of lemonade which will be drunk by all of us. ;)

If you want to avoid the word "drunk," you could say, "consumed," "used up," or a similar term, or rephrase completely.

"Don't worry about making too much lemonade. There is no such thing as too much!"

"Don't worry about making too much lemonade. We'll drink it all!"

:iagree:

it will be enjoyed.

It's the passive voice giving you a problem. It often sounds wrong to the ear.

Ahhh, I vaguely remember from high school grammar classes that one should avoid using the passive voice because it often ends up sounding confusing or awkward. Perfect example. The way I was saying it makes it sound like the lemonade is going to get tipsy.

I would say "someone will drink it" or similar

I guess I am used to "drunk" as an adjective rather than a verb :lol:

LOL, "someone will drink it" sounds ever so much better. (active voice)

And we are back from the beach and the lemonade did indeed get finished.