Menu

Another Dance or Gymnastics question

Which would be better for a child with some physical disabilities? She needs to stretch as much as possible and to be as active as possible to prevent her muscles from getting worse. She has spastic CP affecting one leg as far as we know but it is very mild. She has a limp that is sometimes slight and sometimes very pronounced, cannot jump on the affected leg, walk long distances, it is weaker, and she cannot move that ankle or the toes much at all- for now. Maybe she could improve if she worked at it. She may have weakness in her arm/hand on that side of the body but so far it has not been obvious. The PT said there were some signs of weakness in the arm but it wasn't significant. She does martial arts already and can keep up with the class. We blends in well enough that we have to remind the instructors that she has cp sometimes.

She wants to do dance or gymnastics. I can see advantages and disadvantages with both. With dance, she probably won't be able to stay in sync with the other girls and won't be as graceful with her footwork, but maybe it would be easier with less chance of injuries. With gymnastics, she could specialize in activities that rely more on upper body strength and won't have to blend in with the class, but it seems like it may be harder and that if she can't do something and tries then she will be more likely to injure herself or get discouraged. :bigear: Thoughts, please?

I don't know dance, but I do know gymnastics at that level. Most gyms I know, have a free try-out session so she could see how she likes it.

How is her balance? I could see that being an issue on something like the balance beam. Many things in gymnastics can be done on one leg or the other, so she could do it on her stronger leg. Gymnastics coaches tend to be very encouraging and are there to spot the gymnasts so they won't get hurt. The injuries that I've seen have occurred at higher levels in gymnastics.

At a low level, I would say gymnastics. I don't think either would be ideal. There is just so much jumping. Does she have any interest or is she willing to try swimming? It seems like it would be ideal. We have a girl on our team who had a stroke and lost use of one side of her body for a time when she was very young. She's been swimming for a year now. If you watch very closely, you can tell that that side is slightly weaker. But at this point, you really have to know to be watching for it. For her ankles, kicking is a natural flexibility workout there. Wearing fins during portions of practice further increases ankle flexibility. (One of the reasons they use them, I was surprised to find out!) Other stretching is done, but is something that you would need to really keep up at home.

I would also cast another vote for swimming, and more specifically synchronized swimming. It's perfect for kids with disabilities of all sorts.

Found this PDF file meant for coaches

http://www.synchro.ca/e/development/documents/SynchroforAWAD-CoachesandClubs_000.pdf

it gives you an idea of how open minded the sport can be, and that it's very common.

here's another link

http://www.synchro.ca/index.php?option=com_content&task=category&id=41&Itemid=34

With synchronized swimming you're giving her a sport she can practice her whole life

She's 7 and she wants to do one of them. She likes to be in the water but we live in a very small town with not very many choices. There's only 1 year round pool here and it is about 40min away. Also, while she likes pools, she doesn't like to have water in her face. She's just now not throwing a complete fit and screaming that she's going to die if she's not holding onto someone else in the pool. I know that swimming and horseback riding are supposed to be the best therapies but she wants to do dance or gymnastics. Also, for her PT they wanted to get her jumping. She has gone from not being able to stand on one foot with her weak side at all to now she can stand on it and bend her knee up and down. She just can't get in the air yet but I'm sure she could if she keeps working on it.

Her balance is good unless she's standing on one foot with her weak side. She compensates very well. Most people would never suspect she had any problems. She does not have seizures or any other complications.

I'd go with dance, but caution you to talk with various studios and go and watch lessons. Usually the critical teachers are critical even in front of parents. Obviously, your looking for someone compassionate!

My older daughter has a foot that turns in and it's been wonderful for her to take ballet. I think gymnatics might be a little too intense or competitive. You can find dance schools that are recreational without pressure.

You could have been describing my daughter. My choices would be swimming or dancing. Gymnastics would be okay as long as you avoid the competitive route. Competitive gymnastics can be very rigorous and hard on the joints. My daughter already places a lot of stress on joints on the nonspastic side of her body. The only issue with swimming that we've had is diving. It's very hard to dive correctly with spastic right side of the body. We, too, have to make sure the coaches know about dd's condition. They don't seem to understand that one day she might be able to do something and not so much the next. One coach thought she was being lazy. Good luck with your decision.

Tori

I could see either being good and helpful for her, but I think you would get a greater variety of stretching and movement through gymnastics (coming from a former dancer & gymnastics coach).

If you are really feeling torn, maybe try a free class at both and then make a decision? Most places will let you try before you sign up.

ETA: At the recreation level I don't think you will run into competitiveness and rigorous workouts in gymnastics. At that level it is about balance, coordination, body awareness, etc.

I have mild CP, and lucked out for several years by finding a dance instructor who was working on a degree in dance therapy. My DD has similarly lucked out in gymnastics-her current teacher is working on a masters in OT, which has been WONDERFUL for a kid with sensory issues!

I'd say check teachers and see what's available. In my area, there is a dance program that specifically offers classes for children/adults with disabilities at one of the pre-pro schools.

She's 7 and she wants to do one of them. She likes to be in the water but we live in a very small town with not very many choices. There's only 1 year round pool here and it is about 40min away. Also, while she likes pools, she doesn't like to have water in her face. She's just now not throwing a complete fit and screaming that she's going to die if she's not holding onto someone else in the pool. I know that swimming and horseback riding are supposed to be the best therapies but she wants to do dance or gymnastics. Also, for her PT they wanted to get her jumping. She has gone from not being able to stand on one foot with her weak side at all to now she can stand on it and bend her knee up and down. She just can't get in the air yet but I'm sure she could if she keeps working on it.

Her balance is good unless she's standing on one foot with her weak side. She compensates very well. Most people would never suspect she had any problems. She does not have seizures or any other complications.

Ah, I thought you meant that she was not allowed to jump. In that case, I would l think gymnastics would work. At a non-comp level, it is very mild. You may want to look for a homeschool class. They tend to be even less intense than the regular classes. Honestly, the best choice is most likely going to depend on the individual who is teaching the class. You should probably visit several places and make a decision based on the individual instructors there. Is there any way she could try both to see which one is a better fit (or just more fun!).

I would talk with the teachers and feel out who seems best able to adapt the class to her needs.

You may find that both facilities are equipped to adapt their class as needed, or you may find that another type of class/facility/teacher would be a better fit.

:iagree:

I think either could work in your DD's situation, but you are going to have to find a gym and/or dance studio willing to work with her.

I have seen several students at our gym center with disabilities, some severe, some mild. There was a set of twin boys (probably 10 or 11 yo) that were blind and had pretty bad CP. Obviously they weren't doing what the other boys were, but the gym director worked 2 on 1 with them to help build strength and flexibility and to have fun. I don't know if that family would have found another gym in our area that would have done the same, as they are mainly gyms looking for competitive members (or some that will be there eventually).