Menu

s/o avoiding swim suits; where would I find a swim shirt for me?

We are moving in a few weeks, and will have a pool.

I don't wear a bathing suit for modesty reasons. Dh and I have talked about what I would be comfortable wearing to swim in, since the boys are *so* excited to have a pool, and will want me to take them.

I've settled on a pair of (men's) swim trunks for bottoms, which are easy enough to find in pretty much any store. But, I need a swim shirt, and have no idea where to find one. I'd probably get a mens, since it is likely to be less 'fitted' on me, and therefore I will feel more comfortable/ modest in it. I've also read on here that they're called 'rash gaurds'; are they the same thing?

Any idea where I should look? I haven't worn any swimwear in several years, so I don't even have an idea...

We are moving in a few weeks, and will have a pool.

I don't wear a bathing suit for modesty reasons. Dh and I have talked about what I would be comfortable wearing to swim in, since the boys are *so* excited to have a pool, and will want me to take them.

I've settled on a pair of (men's) swim trunks for bottoms, which are easy enough to find in pretty much any store. But, I need a swim shirt, and have no idea where to find one. I'd probably get a mens, since it is likely to be less 'fitted' on me, and therefore I will feel more comfortable/ modest in it. I've also read on here that they're called 'rash gaurds'; are they the same thing?

Any idea where I should look? I haven't worn any swimwear in several years, so I don't even have an idea...

Pretty much any sports clothing store should have them.

You might like something from Simply Modest or WholesomeWear?

You'll still need a bikini top or something to wear under the rash guard. Because they are swimwear, they aren't loose like a T-shirt by design. My DD has a girls' one from Lands' End (they have them for women too) that is lined so she can wear it alone, but developed girls and women would need something more supportive underneath. They aren't intended (except on kids) to replace a swimsuit top entirely--at least the ones I've seen.

ETA: Here's one with a shelf bra: http://m.landsend.com/mt/www.landsend.com/pp/AquaTerraShortSleeveShelfBraRashGuard~216199_-1.html

Edited by WordGirl

Pretty much any sports clothing store should have them.

You might like something from Simply Modest or WholesomeWear?

I've looked at these before, but I can't get over just how expensive they are. :tongue_smilie: I figure I can put something together from a B&M store that I feel comfortable with for less money.

You'll still need a bikini top or something to wear under the rash guard. Because they are swimwear, they aren't loose like a T-shirt by design. My DD has a girls' one from Lands' End (they have them for women too) that is lined so she can wear it alone, but developed girls and women would need something more supportive underneath. They aren't intended (except on kids) to replace a swimsuit top entirely--at least the ones I've seen.

See, I didn't even think of that, LOL. But of course; it makes sense!

Buy a swimsuit to wear as underware, per se, and wear a rash gaurd (a bigger one - so that it isn't tight) and a pair of women's board shorts....

Not only will it be modest - you'll look like about 30% of the other women there anyway ( I never take my shorts off in public - and see many women swimming like that).

Lookin' at Land's End right now. They're having a great sale, and they're stuff is cute! Thanks ladies!

A nice thing about Lands End is that if the item doesn't work out for you, you can return it through any Sears store without paying return shipping - even if that stores doesn't sell the Lands End line.

If the shirt is loose, it may fly up when you swim. A close fit is better for actually swimming; you can always put on something over it when you're out of the water. Any nylon/lycra sport shirt will do. Check Marshalls/TJMaxx, they often have separate tops & bottoms this time of year; you could look for a top for under the rashie, and perhaps a skirted bottom or something for under the board shorts.