Menu

have you ever sunk a trampoline?

Did you line the walls of the hole first? I don't want them to cave in, but - if that's not a huge possibility, I'd rather save the expense of lining a monster hole.

http://littlegreenfingers.typepad.com/little_green_fingers/2009/02/how-to-create-a-sunken-trampoline.html

We live in New England, and the ground does freeze and thaw every year.

I saw this same post on FB yesterday and asked my husband to do it for us since our net on the trampoline has succumbed to the effects of mother nature and too many kids! However, my husband was concerned with the hole having standing water in it and becoming a breeding ground for mosquitos.

I saw this same post on FB yesterday and asked my husband to do it for us since our net on the trampoline has succumbed to the effects of mother nature and too many kids! However, my husband was concerned with the hole having standing water in it and becoming a breeding ground for mosquitos.

Not only that, but somewhere near us, this summer a child drowned in the standing water. He slipped under the tramp and it was difficult to get at him. It was just awful.

Hmm, with as high as my children tend to jump on the trampoline, I would fear that they would not land right and end up on the grass, and thus broken bones. Many times that netting is the only thing that keeps them in the trampoline here at my house.

Not only that, but somewhere near us, this summer a child drowned in the standing water. He slipped under the tramp and it was difficult to get at him. It was just awful.

I believe that the people where I live who sink their trampolines line the bottom of the hole with gravel so that there isn't open standing water (?).

I believe that the people where I live who sink their trampolines line the bottom of the hole with gravel so that there isn't open standing water (?).

I think this family had taken all precautions. Tehre was just too much rain and flooding this spring.

Hmmm, well it would be right next to a pond (also in our yard), so - the water concerns are already there, to be honest (and not to lightly dismiss that poor little boy and his family).

And I googled pictures and saw that the safety netting can still be put up.

My main concerns are (1) that if we put it level to the ground, the lack of air flow will kill the bounce, and (2) how we would cover it in winter.

Hmmm, well it would be right next to a pond (also in our yard), so - the water concerns are already there, to be honest (and not to lightly dismiss that poor little boy and his family).

My main concerns are (1) that if we put it level to the ground, the lack of air flow will kill the bounce, and (2) how we would cover it in winter.

I didn't think you could put them right against the ground. I've always seen them at least 6in up??

I didn't think you could put them right against the ground. I've always seen them at least 6in up??

Well, my initial link says to put it flush to prevent a stumbling hazard and to make mowing easier. (makes sense - I'm just looking for other people who have done it who can give some tips)

Maybe I just need a fortune-teller to tell me if the walls are going to collapse or if the poles of the frame are enough to keep the ground solid.

Hmm, with as high as my children tend to jump on the trampoline, I would fear that they would not land right and end up on the grass, and thus broken bones. Many times that netting is the only thing that keeps them in the trampoline here at my house.

Yup, I would still want the net around. I would also be concerned with the standing water under the thing.

My dh and I were just talking about doing this. We live in the desert where standing water isn't an issue (EVER!) so that doesn't concern me. We're redoing our back yard this winter. While the digger is here, I think we're going to do this!

Thanks for posting.

If you live in the southern part of Nevada, don't forget about the caliche. My friend had a pool installed a few years back and the machine to break up that caliche cost $725 / hour. Crazy!!

Is it a man made pond or a natural one? If natural, I would wonder what the water table is?