Menu

Please post your dining room/homeschool room shelf system.

I wasn't sure what to title this. I'm looking for something nice to go in my dining room that will conceal our homeschool supplies we use daily. If you have something you love, please provide a link or photo. This will fit language arts, history, science notebooks, etc.

Thanks,

Capt Uhura

I wasn't sure what to title this. I'm looking for something nice to go in my dining room that will conceal our homeschool supplies we use daily. If you have something you love, please provide a link or photo. This will fit language arts, history, science notebooks, etc.

Thanks,

Capt Uhura

What size/wall length?

I have a schoolroom that is separate from the dining room, but it is just across from it.

This is when we were still getting organized, but I have Billy bookshelves along one wall and have the Exedit as a room divider. You can fill it with baskets or you can put doors on it, there are a lot of options.

The two smaller walls are 7'5" long. the longest wall is 12" long. The other wall is all window.

_____windows_________

|---------------------------doorway

|

|12' -----------------------|

|-------------------------- |

|---------------------------|

|---------------------------7'5" about

doorway___7'5"________|

dining room table is in the middle of the room.

We use our hutch in the dining room. One basket per kid, pens, pencils, etc... in the tiny baskets. Other books (that aren't used daily) are on bookshelves in other rooms.

Hubby is in the process of building me a real office/schoolroom. But the Lord may return long before that is ever completed! (kidding!!!)

(ignore the clutter-- it's been a loooong weekend! LOL)

e905a6d5.jpg

We use our hutch in the dining room. One basket per kid, pens, pencils, etc... in the tiny baskets. Other books (that aren't used daily) are on bookshelves in other rooms.

Hubby is in the process of building me a real office/schoolroom. But the Lord may return long before that is ever completed! (kidding!!!)

e905a6d5.jpg

Clutter? There's clutter? Heck! There's not even any dust!:001_huh:

I hide the workbooks and so forth in baskets like in Joyfulheart's picture.

I keep the messy art supplies and science stuff in the basement in its own storage area and only have a few everyday kind of things out - pencils, colored pencils, paper.

And then I let all the books be out. Our dining room doubles as a library anyway, with a ton of shelves and books. The homeschool shelf is occasionally less kempt than the others because the books are constantly coming off and on the shelves, but I can tidy it up quickly if need be and it mostly blends in. I think of books as a general decorating scheme though.

What about an armoire? They hold tons of stuff AND you can use the doors for white boards or bulletin boards or just sticking things on, then when you're done, it's closed and clean!

This is what we do - I dragged this sucker home from an old school in Boston that was being torn down and stripped about 6 layers of paint off of it.

DSC08026.jpg

My kids are young, so we are still learning / tweaking an organizational system that works well for us, but - this has worked for 3 years now.

DSC07942-1.jpg

I put cork-board on the insides of the doors so we can use it as a bulletin board.

DSC07944-1.jpg

homeschool stuffa2tR7v

Here is my set up. This was once a tv hutch. I stuffed a small, cheap bookcase inside and voila! I only keep stuff we are currently using for nearly daily use in the upper area. Other stuff is kept in ds' bedroom closet. I love that I can close it and its a "real" piece of furniture. Btw, I bought this about 8 years ago at a JCPenny scratch and dent place for around $100 :w00t:

sorry, haven't figured out getting actual pics up :( is there tech forum?

Edited by Purpledaizy

uh-huh. You can all pretend you don't have days where, when school is closed, the bar is open. Heehee. :lol:

Those dishracks are genius! What else is part of her system?
I'd love to hear more about wishbone dawn's system too!!

Look up one of her posts. She has a link to her blog post outlining her genius in her signature. :001_smile:

homeschool stuffa2tR7v

Here is my set up. This was once a tv hutch. I stuffed a small, cheap bookcase inside and voila! I only keep stuff we are currently using for nearly daily use in the upper area. Other stuff is kept in ds' bedroom closet. I love that I can close it and its a "real" piece of furniture. Btw, I bought this about 8 years ago at a JCPenny scratch and dent place for around $100 :w00t:

You upload them as attachments. (The paperclip, not the picture button ;))

I've always had to school in my dining room. THis is where the majority of items are kept and then I have a small bookcase on the other side of the room.

This picture is a few years old--cushions/magazine holders and runners have changed, but the furniture has stayed the same.

DS2_0085.jpg[/img]

e905a6d5.jpg

OH I like that one! What clutter?

This is what we do - I dragged this sucker home from an old school in Boston that was being torn down and stripped about 6 layers of paint off of it.

DSC08026.jpg

My kids are young, so we are still learning / tweaking an organizational system that works well for us, but - this has worked for 3 years now.

DSC07942-1.jpg

I put cork-board on the insides of the doors so we can use it as a bulletin board.

DSC07944-1.jpg

OH MY! THat's what I want!!!!! Ok, I'll search for armoire! Thank you!

homeschool stuffa2tR7v

OH that's an idea! If I find something like that, I can put a small bookcase inside of it! Genius!

We have a huge built-in that takes the whole wall of our kitchen.

Most of the books are in another room that has 2 walls lined with built-in bookshelves.

Every time I reorganize the school stuff I thank the previous owner of this house - she's put those shelves everywhere. :D

WOW I'd be thanking her too!!

Here's my issue. Currently, my DS8 does his work at the kitchen table. On the floor near the table I have two baskets. In those baskets, I keep their daily work and some junk which I need to clear out - ie old workbooks we never got to and never will. :D My DS11 works at the dining room table. Currently, in the dinning room I have a floor to ceiling bookcase which has history, LA, science stuff on it. That room is a mess right now b/c we had the basement finished and just got the Cert of Occupancy on Friday. So I'm in the process of sorting through all the stuff in the dining room and figuring out if it's going in the basement, in a closet, in the attic, in the trash, or donated. Anyhow, the boys do not work well together at the same table. DS11 needs quiet. DS8 needs to make noise and move and shake the table and sit on the table and fall of his chair.

My thoughts were to move everything to the basement but buy an armoire-ish thing for the dining room to put curricula, current books in so I can try to keep the dining room neat and tidy.

The other option is to tell DH I'm turning the dining room into a full-fledged school room and line the walls w/ book shelves and keep most things there. :001_huh: We do use the dining room for dinner and on weekends.

A third option is to move everything to the basement and HS down there. It is a really nice space. It's a full walkout so it gets lots of sun after 12:00pm. It has a bathroom, sink. The bad thing is that the Wii will be down there and if DD4 wanted to play, it would be distracting for the boys.

AARRGHH..... did I mention I want this done tomorrow so I can start planning? And our summer schedule is hectic w/ all the activities going on....not. enough. time.....

Where is the smiley with it's head spinning round and round? (not the laughing one...Think Exorcist).

Capt Uhura

This is mine, but it's a separate room, so maybe less concealed than you'd like :)

I LOVE this. I've been trying to come up with a system to organize everything for years, but nothing ever works out as well as I would hope. This looks fantastic. I'm picturing it taking up the entire wall on the dining side of my kitchen.