Menu

What are your best beach vacation meals?

I"d love to have some ideas for meal planning while on a beach vacation. We'll be driving over 12 hours to get there so I'm not keen on packing frozen meals. I do lunch pretty well because we've been packing pool lunches since June. The dinner prep makes me twitch. It tends to take too long and by that time of day, I'm tired. This year, I have a pinched nerve so I really want to be more prepared.

What menu ideas do you have for a beach vacation?

Buy simple, local items. When we hit the beach for a vacation, we eat a ton of fish...usually grilled so dh shares the work :) Sometimes I'll just pan sear something and either blacken it or make a simple sauce. I always bring some of my fav recipes with me. You could do the same with steaks or chicken breasts too.

I shop farmer's markets or supermarkets for in season veggies and prepare them simply as well. We just got back from Martha's Vineyard and I made some veggie salads that were served cold or at room temp. I'd make them in the am or if/when we came home for a midday beach break and then they'd be all set for dinner. One was carrot based and one had green beans cooked crisp tender with yellow peppers and red onion. Mozz/tom/basil salad is also an easy choice.

Hope this helps some!

I just fix the easiest dinners we have at home. Like taco salad, simple soups, etc. Grocery stores have all kinds of pre-prepared dinners now--but you can see I choose convenience over "what an amazing experience" meals!

Have a wonderful time!

Grilled fish, pesto noodles, grilled peppers and squash

Burgers, hotdogs, oven baked fries, raw carrots and broccoli

Grilled chicken breasts, pasta salad, grilled pineapple and peaches

Spaghetti and meatballs--- frozen are't as bad as you think, cook them in jar sauce on super low or in a crock for a long while, iceberg lettuce salad

And back to grilled fish again. Repeat.

is there peapod or another grocery delivery where you are? If so, time delivery for when you will be arriving. Don't forget the ketchup, buns, and if you can do a beach fire or a backyard fire, s'more stuff and maybe some firewood.

Have a great time!

nono, we'll be at Hilton Head and I've never been so I appreciate any help!

Parrothead, I love the seafood idea and plan on getting lots of steamed shrimp to peel and eat. I'm not very good at cooking fish though.

Beth, thanks for the suggestion. I tend to steer away from the convenience foods because they don't usually feed a family of 6 and are expensive. But maybe I should rethink this. A roasted chicken would be a great idea.

Mamageek, I confess that I cannot abide the boiled meat dishes that are generally crockpot fare. I'd rather eat pb&j.

that does help and that's my kind of cooking. How do you find a farmer's market while on vacation?

Well, we return to MV year after year so we know where to go, but you could either ask some locals or pick up one of those touristy type newspaper/magazines; you should be able to find it under local events. Sometimes you'll just pass one on the side of the road as you're driving around, too.

We just got back from Hilton Head. Here's what we ate for supper:

1. Frozen pizza.

2. Frozen meatballs with pasta and sweet and sour sauce.

3. Spaghetti and meatballs.

4. Fried chicken from the grocery store deli

5. Boiled shrimp, sausage, and corn (OMG) (This is called Shrimp Boil.)

6. Went out for seafood one night.

7. Prepackaged frozen chicken alfredo.

All easy, yummy, and cheap. (Cheap compared with eating out, I guess I should say.)

nono, we'll be at Hilton Head and I've never been so I appreciate any help!

http://farmersmarkethiltonheadisland.com/

That's the one I know about in that area. I think it's on Fridays only, but I could be wrong about that. I bet the links the other gals gave you will give you some more options!

HAVE FUN, and I agree with you that pre-packaged...eh, just not so great.

Anyway, why not also do what we call "an assortment" after you've been there for a bunch of days. Cold cuts, cheese, fresh bread, marinated veggies, cold poached fishes, fresh fruit, and lots of wine, if you'd like. Makes for a great night around the table. :)

hit the market on the way home, buy some produce and throw something simple on the grill. It's take no more than 15 minutes. Throw some olives and cheeses on a plate and pick at it with some wine while you wait.

The ocean makes everything taste better, anyway. :001_smile:

When we are at the beach it's all cereal, milk, sandwiches, chips, anything the kids can get for themselves for lunch and breakfast, but we go out to all our favorite restaurants every night, so we get spoiled with the seafood. If we do eat in, I buy pounds of shrimp and we have that with cheese, wine, crackers,etc.

• One large bag frozen pre-made meatballs (from Sam's Club) in a crock pot, covered with your favorite sauce, mixed in and set to low. Come back from the beach, cook pasta while the kids make a salad and you have supper. Or if you want to skip the pasta, put the meatballs on rolls.
  • Make a large, tossed green salad in the morning, with the family's help. Put it in the fridge to chill, then add in proteins when you come back from the beach -- hard-boiled eggs, chunks of cheese, rinsed canned kidney beans, cooked shrimp, cooked chicken, etc.
  • Burgers and hotdogs, fries, baked beans
  • Grilled meat with... my husband just walked in and saw that I had typed "grilled meat with...." He now says, "Why do you need the with? Why do you need to add ANYTHING to grilled meat, except BBQ sauce?" :lol: Have fun at the beach. :D

When we're on vacation our meals tend to be like this:

Lunch - rolls/croissants/crackers, apples/oranges/grapes, hardboiled eggs/sliced salami/lunch meat, carrot/celery sticks, sliced or cubed cheese. (easy-to-pack things)

Dinner - from a grocery deli: sub sandwiches/chips, chicken salad/rolls, pizza. Spaghetti w/jar sauce & salad, mac-n-cheese w/frozen veggies stirred in. Once we'll go out to eat or have fast food. I avoid having to cook much, especially if it's hot.