Menu

How did you know it was time? (euthanasia)

I am having a struggle. I love my cat. Love him! (I call him my boyfriend ;) ) But, he has aged tremendously in the past six months. He is 14 and lost one back leg and the sight in one eye 12 years ago. His remaining back leg is giving out and he is having a hard time getting around (hop, hop, hop, rest). I've often wondered if I was holding on to him too long. Other than losing the ability to jump, he has been healthy. He has had to claw his way up the end of my bed for the past year but he could make it. Recently he has given up trying to get on my bed and waits for someone to lift him up.

I've made an appointment with the vet for Wednesday. They'll probably try to talk me out of having him euthanized. Blah! I hate making these types of decisions.

Oh my! ((((HUGS)))) I'm so sorry.

YOU know your cat best!!!!! You have obviously done all that you can and have given him a wonderful life!!! This isn't something you are taking lightly! I'm sure the vet will see that. They'll make sure you know all your options...but, I am sure they will support you in the decision.

:grouphug: I'll be thinking of you and your cat on Wednesday!

I put cats down when they stop purring when I hold or pet them, and my dog when she quit wagging when I spoke to her. My folks put my other dog down when he lost sensation in his rear, and defecated in his sleep and took 5 minutes to make it to the dinner bowl. He was a 12 year old Dane, and rather daffy.

I put cats down when they stop purring when I hold or pet them, and my dog when she quit wagging when I spoke to her. My folks put my other dog down when he lost sensation in his rear, and defecated in his sleep and took 5 minutes to make it to the dinner bowl. He was a 12 year old Dane, and rather daffy.

Yes. When you know your pet is in pain and has lost the ability to enjoy simple pleasures like eating or being petted.

We've been through this twice. I'm so sorry. :grouphug:

:grouphug:

It's especially tough since they can't tell you what they want.

I haven't had a vet talk us out of euthanizing. Our cat, CP, had kidney disease for a couple of years and was losing weight. The night before we had her euthanized, she had seizures during the night. It was one of the longest, roughest nights we've had. We probably did wait too long. However, I don't think waiting had her in pain. I did have the prior night with her snuggling next to me and purring.

:grouphug: I wish you peace with your decision. :grouphug:

I am having a struggle. I love my cat. Love him! (I call him my boyfriend ;) ) But, he has aged tremendously in the past six months. He is 14 and lost one back leg and the sight in one eye 12 years ago. His remaining back leg is giving out and he is having a hard time getting around (hop, hop, hop, rest). I've often wondered if I was holding on to him too long. Other than losing the ability to jump, he has been healthy. He has had to claw his way up the end of my bed for the past year but he could make it. Recently he has given up trying to get on my bed and waits for someone to lift him up.

I've made an appointment with the vet for Wednesday. They'll probably try to talk me out of having him euthanized. Blah! I hate making these types of decisions.

It is hard. At one time we had schnauzers. The oldest was 15 1/2, quit old for schnauzers. She had lost most of the use of her hind quarters. We babied her along for another 6 wks but I really wish we hadn't. It was hard. The next one was almost 14 and she was having seizures. We had taken her to the vet several times, tried different meds but to no avail. She would be walking along and just fall over with a seizure.

I can't imagine a vet not being supportive of your decision. I really do believe that when life becomes miserable for the pet instead of enjoyable it is time.

One thing I just thought about is how we keep our pets alive much longer than they would have lived in the wild. For example, I have an older dog (unsure of age but over 10) who suffers from heart issues, lung issues, and arthritis. At this point, he has medication for both the heart and arthritis and he has stopped crying so we are good. He will continue to have the arthritis medication and the heart medication for life. I will continue to monitor him and if his arthritis gets to the point that his pain can't be controlled or his heart gets a lot worse, it will be time. I love my dog but I have arthritis and I know how painful it is. His spine and hips are affected and if it can't be managed, he won't be able to move. to me, a dog or cat is much more important that they move than even for us- we can have such a life through books, videos, music, the internet, etc. Not for them. I think unresolved mobility issues and unrelenting pain that cannot be addressed are both valid reasons.

When flies started landing on my doggie and she couldn't bother to shed them off, that told me it was too much suffering to let her bear. She was blind, deaf, had poor bladder control and advanced gum disease. She was 16 and I had had her since I was 16. :grouphug:

It felt especially horrible to call the vet, making an appointment for the end of her life. I felt dastardly doing it. Seemed like a betrayal. :grouphug:

I had to make that decision last year with both my greyhounds, within two months of each other. They both got to where they could hardly walk any more, weren't really eating, and couldn't make it outside for potty duty. It's such a hard thing to do because our animal friends become so integrated into our lives. My hounds were very stoic creatures, but it didn't seem kind to them to keep them lingering when they couldn't even manage daily living activities any more. I'm sure your cat had a happy life with all the love and attention you gave him. Hugs to you, Polly. :grouphug:

I'm sorry... I still miss my first "babies" -- my kitty was born in 1991. She was with us until a year ago (she was almost 19). She was blind, deaf and had lost all sense of bladder control. She was in renal failure. She had started peeing all over the place (on herself, even). I knew it was time.

To be fair, my kitty was a loner... you didn't even know she was around except for the litterbox and empty food bowls.

My Cocker has been gone for 5 years now... I know it's been 5 years, because we put her down two weeks before my Lizzard Breath was born. She had cancer, was bleeding, and had congestive heart failure. She was struggling just to breathe. Again, we knew. Meds may have given her another couple of weeks...

I'm crying with you....

Thank you all.

Hubby came home on his lunch break and buried him. I started crying all over again. I never thought I would be like this. My eyelids are puffy and red. I keep blowing my nose. When I put his cardboard carrier in the recycle I started sobbing all over again. I've cried so much I have a headache. I'm going to miss that cat.

The doctor said his kidneys were enlarged which was making him heavier and putting more strain on his remaining back leg. He said the cat probably had feline leukemia.

Thanks for listening to me babble. I never expected to take it this hard.

I'm so sorry for your loss and crying with you. I had to put my female Bengal cat down almost two months ago now and I still miss her so much.

We just got a new kitten though and she is really cute - looks just like the one that just died:001_smile:. It has helped me, although I still miss my baby.

I'm so sorry. We had our dog put to sleep 3 years ago when he continually bled from his rectum after 6 months of trying to stop it. He had a tumor in there. His hind legs also started giving out on him. It is so painful, and it helped me to know I would be able to smile as I remembered him instead of feeling pain. :grouphug: