Menu

Here is a happy topic (not)

Middle aged weight gain.

I keep reading that as women age, especially after menopause, they gain weight.

Why is that? If a woman remains just as active (assume this for the sake of the problem) at 50 as she was at 30, why would her metabolism slow? Or does it? Does it?

I know muscle takes more calories to maintain than fat. If a woman remains equally active (exact same amount of daily living, cardio, resistance training), will she still lose muscle? And if she doesn't lose muscle, will her metabolism still slow? Any reason why?

When I was diagnosed with fibromyalgia, and started reading about the condition, I learned that FM people often are plagued by stubborn, bad weight gains. The knowledge sure doesn't console me any, but as the saying goes, "It's good to know." (helps explain my frustration with being overweight)

Well this middle-aged woman just got back from a sweaty 30 minutes walk. I need to lose more than a few pounds and by gum this better work.

Thyroid issues are a concern here, but with no insurance and no money I won't be testing them. I've had radiation on my thyroid, they told when it would probably damage my thyroid.

I've been paying attention to vitamin D levels as well. Which means I'm taking it on a regular basis.

I've just committed to a family challenge for the month of July. Regular fitness is a part of that. I'll be your test subject.

I've been wondering that myself. I'm not in my 50's yet (43), but I struggle with weight gain that seems unreasonable. I gained about 9 pounds in the past 2 months and my eating habits haven't changed that much. I admit, they've changed a little, but I feel like I've gotten that under control now and still haven't lost anything. In fact, I've had this stomach virus for the past 2 days, haven't eaten a thing (and have done all those things common to stomach viruses;)) and I gained a pound. Explain that to me.

I think it's because your body is preparing for the cessation of estrogen production. Fat cells store estrogen. After menopause, you no longer make any, so the theory is that the stored up estrogen is all you have for the rest of your life.

I'm 46 and have been going to Weight Watchers for years -- and have kept 46 lbs. off for five years now.

The women over 50 who are doing WW lose just as well as anyone under 50.

I think that as we age we simply can't eat as much for whatever reason -- Vit. D, thyroid, not chasing kids.

Seeing the women over 50 slim down has always given me hope.

Alley

I just rejoined WW after not being in it for 8 years and am knocking hard on the door of 40...(October)

I have lost weight FASTER this time around than before and I am working out way less - I don't even belong to a gym anymore. My first time through, I worked out for a couple of HOURS at least 4 days a week.

What has changed is that I really make a hard effort to eat fresh because I insist my kids eat fresh. I think I ate every WW product out there my first time through. :glare:

I can't help wondering how much of that, "Once you're mennopausal, it's all over!" health *information* is actually accurate. I can't help but wonder how much of it is just really crappy nutrition.

Your metabolism slows down as you age.I know well the whole weight gain after menopause thing. You simply cannot eat those carbs w/o gaining. Horrid trick on older women! Also, exercise and simply watching what you et doesn't knock off the pounds like it did in one's 40's. The smartest solution is to stay slim early on, if you can. It is hard work later....:)

I think it's a shift in the endocrine system. After reading "Good Calories, Bad Calories," I got a whole new perspective about the role of hormones (insulin, estrogen, thryroid and all the rest) in fat storage. I know that for me, when I hit my late 40's, the weight piled on, and the changes I made that would easily have shed the weight earlier just didn't have the same effect. I *don't* think it's just about activity level. Not at all.

I think it's because your body is preparing for the cessation of estrogen production. Fat cells store estrogen. After menopause, you no longer make any, so the theory is that the stored up estrogen is all you have for the rest of your life.

:iagree:

In Susun Weed's book Menopausal years : the wise woman way, she talks about how we need the extra weight in these years and we will hurt our bones by keeping it off.

I turned 50 in December. At 38, I weighed 165lbs and went to WW. I lost 25lbs and kept it off for 10yrs. I've gained 20lbs in the last 2years. I still walk every morning and go to the YMCA approx 5 days/wk. I have had to drop some of the classes because they got too difficult or I was afraid I would hurt myself. I don't have as much self-control when it comes to food, but I haven't started eating THAT much more.

For the last 2 years, I've asked every older woman I run into about menopause and how they deal with the various symptoms. I find that approx 50% use anti-depressants. A side effect....weight gain.

An acupuncturist I saw for a while told me that we lose something like 1% of muscle per year starting in our mid-20s. The muscle can be maintained, but it takes more work to maintain it.

My 2c.

Thyroid issues are a concern here, but with no insurance and no money I won't be testing them. I've had radiation on my thyroid, they told when it would probably damage my thyroid.

If it was radio-active iodine it WILL damage your thyroid as in killing at least part of it. So if you have any signs of low thyroid (and there are many), it would well worth your health and sanity to get at least an initial thyroid level check.

You can get your thyroid tested (TSH, Free T3, Free T4) for $85 through Healthcheckusa.com. You do not need a doctor's order. My doctor's office charges $240 for the same tests.

I've been wondering that myself. I'm not in my 50's yet (43), but I struggle with weight gain that seems unreasonable. I gained about 9 pounds in the past 2 months and my eating habits haven't changed that much. I admit, they've changed a little, but I feel like I've gotten that under control now and still haven't lost anything. In fact, I've had this stomach virus for the past 2 days, haven't eaten a thing (and have done all those things common to stomach viruses;)) and I gained a pound. Explain that to me.

That sounds like thyroid - classic thyroid.

About 3 years ago, I gained some weight in spite of no change in lifestyle. I looked awful, my cholesterol began rising, my blood pressure increased... My doctor thought it probably hormone-related, but didn't really offer any solutions. I don't want to go on meds for things that I can change without meds, but I don't have enough discipline about food to diet - diets make me think about food, which just makes me eat more. After reading some books and websites, I decided to go low carb because it seemed like something that I could live with as a lifestyle rather than a diet. I lost weight slowly but steadily without ever being hungry and without exercising. I continued losing weight after I stopped trying, and clothes I bought this spring have already gotten big on me. I thought I'd never give up sweet tea, but it really doesn't even appeal to me anymore. I am not a fanatic about carbs, but I try to eat only healthy carbs most days.

Edited by LizzyBee

Yes, we lose about 8% muscle mass per decade from about 40 on. Everyone, men and women. The difference is that men generally start out with more lean muscle. And, again generally speaking, men are more inclined to physical work.

Strength training slows that down. You can use body weight exercises for that: squats, push ups, etc.

If you've had thyroid radiation, though, you NEED to have it checked. The fallout from low thyroid levels is not just annoying symptoms. It can lead to life threatening conditions. Find somewhere that will do bloodwork for a reduced rate or sliding scale. Thyroid replacement is cheap, too.

This is who helps me with my hormone issues: http://www.happyhormonecottage.com/index.htm I know they have some links/info/resources on their site and probably have some things about this subject on there. I haven't looked around the resources much.

I'm 33, so not quite there yet, but dropping weight was the first thing that happened to me when I started getting my hormones straightened out.

I think this is part of what is confusing to me. Does the average person lose 8% muscle mass, or is it truly every one? What about the guy who doesn't ever really work out until his 50s and then starts strength training. Won't he have more muscle than he used to have?

And if we do lose muscle mass, why? Why would we lose it if we continue (or start) a weight lifting program?