Menu

Dr Hive!

What would cause a sudden swollen lip? My bottom lip suddenly started swelling late this afternoon and it's now triple it's normal size. There's no visible bug bite and I don't recall being bitten by anything. I'm also not allergic to any foods (I had a burrito this afternoon, coconut soda, coffee, and milk). I took an antihistamine, but it didn't do anything.

Do you have a cavity? When oldest dd was about 1, she fell and injured her teeth. Two years later, she woke up one morning with her top lip ridiculously swollen. The injury two years before had caused a cavity to develop, which allowed bacteria to get into that tooth, which freakishly caused her top lip to swell. She had an abcess develop on her gums. We had to drain it. Nasty stuff.

Yes, I have cavities (in the middle of a series of appts repairing). But the cavities are toward the back, not the front. My gums are fine.

I'm wondering if it could be staph (I was rearranging the garbage this morning as a couple of bags had been put in the wrong bin...last time I got staph was when I had cleaned a flooded basement years ago...woke up the next morning to a swollen and seeping ear...but my lip is not seeping).

Edited by mommaduck

Sounds like an allergic reaction to me. It could be something as simple as touching a houseplant and rubbing your lip. Did you spend time outside before this happened? It sounds like a contact allergy.

Yes. We went for a walk today. But I don't remember touching any plants.

You can get cold sores in your lip. I've had these. I recall that it tingles a bit ahead of time (not too noticeable) and I bite at the sensation a bit (again, somewhat absent mindedly). When the lip swells, then I realize that it had been tingly and I'd bitten at it. I don't think the tingly and biting is necessarily always a part of it; but this is what it has been like for me. All the same, a swollen lip can be a cold sore.

You can get cold sores in your lip. I've had these. I recall that it tingles a bit ahead of time (not too noticeable) and I bite at the sensation a bit (again, somewhat absent mindedly). When the lip swells, then I realize that it had been tingly and I'd bitten at it. I don't think the tingly and biting is necessarily always a part of it; but this is what it has been like for me. All the same, a swollen lip can be a cold sore.

Nope, very familiar with coldsores. I get them whenever my immune system is down. Got the virus from sharing glasses with my parents when I was a kid. This isn't the same and there's no sore; my lip never swells with them either.

Have you used any Chapstick/lip gloss/lipstick lately? A friend had a similar thing happen and it was her makeup.

No. I rarely wear makeup and haven't worn any in over a month.

Nope, very familiar with coldsores. I get them whenever my immune system is down. Got the virus from sharing glasses with my parents when I was a kid. This isn't the same and there's no sore; my lip never swells with them either.

I'm familiar with the "sore" type of cold sore, too, but this one is different. There's no sore, but the lip swells considerably. It might not be what you're dealing with, but I've had both types of cold sores.

I'm familiar with the "sore" type of cold sore, too, but this one is different. There's no sore, but the lip swells considerably. It might not be what you're dealing with, but I've had both types of cold sores.

hmmm, never heard of that before. Maybe it is :( Hoping it goes away soon.

If you feel ANY swelling in your airways and/or throat, go in to the ER right away. Please!

Don't worry, I will. That is why I'm staying up tonight. I told DH before he left for work that if I feel it hit my airways, I will have son call 911 or have a neighbour take me up and call DH home from work.

How are you feeling? Does it itch at all? Does the roof of your mouth itch?

Food allergies can develop as we age, as I'm sure you know.

My ds's neck was swollen once. We got him on antibiotics very quickly, and the infection/swelling never went to any other part of his body (what is the term for that?). After 3 weeks in and out of the hospital for the same thing, they were never able to determine what it was *because* it didn't spread.

Generally I'm not a 'run to the ER' kind of person, but I would probably go in for this, even though it sounds very inconvenient for you tonight.:grouphug: