Menu

If you were going to talk with a councillor would it matter to you . .

I've visited two people for councilling (one was a psychologist) in the past 12 months (grief issues) and both were women. I got along with both but it wasn't until I went to the second, the psychologist, that I was really challenged (and challenged was the word. I sometimes heard things I didn't like) and made real progress. I'm not sure the gender would have as much to do with it as the councilor's experience, training and personality.

Well, I have a psychologist (active, not really "talk," therapy). I wouldn't trade him for all the gold in the world!

I would think the KIND of counselor matters more than the gender. I wouldn't be comfy with navel gazing forever as many therapists seem to encourage. Talking is, no doubt, necessary; but.... I really think a male would be best for me for a variety of reasons and yet I can imagine that usually I'd have trouble finding one I wasn't intimidated by, didn't think was going to hurt me, could stand, etc. I just can't imagine ever finding a woman who I felt would work even though finding a male would be so challenging.

I'm just hoping my psychologist never retires. He's not particularly old, but he's already pared down his practice considerably. And he really has, in my case, practically worked himself out of a job. Sometimes (like tomorrow), I go for a tune up of sorts...a couple sessions just to make sure I'm using all the skills and tools I can to handle things that are going on. And really, by the time I get to the appointment, I've usually done most of the work. But I'm gonna go anyway :)

Ideally, imo, a therapist should be working themselves out of a job.

No. Education, training, speciality/emphasis, clinical orientation are important to me.

Family/parenting orientation is primary (I have specifics I'd have to be in line with). I'd also expect a certain orienation in terms of recovery from substance abuse, abuse, trauma.

Personality fit would be a more important factor for me. I'd probably rather have a man because they are (statistically) less likely to be an S.

S?

Personally, I prefer a male. For whatever reason, I just seem to work better with them.

My current psychologist, whose been helping me to deal with my disability is male and Christian. I feel very fortunate.