Menu

Virginia, Maryland, DC Area

I am also in Maryland, and go through a reviewer in Harford County. If he were any more laid back, he would be in a coma. :lol: But, it varies by area. We also have the option to go through an umbrella, in which case we never have to deal witht he county at all. Overall, it's really a non-issue. Good luck!

We are in Frederick county and LOVE our reviewer. She does a fall interview (literally 10-15 min long, where I bring a few samples of work to show her what we have been doing). The spring interview is just a phone call, where she asks if the kids are still doing well and tells me to have a good summer. She is very available to us anytime we need her, though.

Let me plug a fabulous local resource: the Baltimore Homeschool Community Center. It's located in a huge office suite in a business park just outside the Baltimore Beltway, and run by a homeschooling family.

BHCC offers everything from a preschool co-op to high school science courses, with tons of enrichment classes like fencing, yoga, Lego robotics, and chess club. Members can also just drop in to do projects in the art room, play with the toy trains, or chat. It's been an awesome addition to our homeschooling life.

(I don't have any financial interest in BHCC - I just love the place, that's all.)

Let me plug a fabulous local resource: the Baltimore Homeschool Community Center. It's located in a huge office suite in a business park just outside the Baltimore Beltway, and run by a homeschooling family.

BHCC offers everything from a preschool co-op to high school science courses, with tons of enrichment classes like fencing, yoga, Lego robotics, and chess club. Members can also just drop in to do projects in the art room, play with the toy trains, or chat. It's been an awesome addition to our homeschooling life.

(I don't have any financial interest in BHCC - I just love the place, that's all.)

That's sounds amazing! Thanks.

I think DC is the easiest but any area I would want to live there is too expensive and that is with us having a relatively high income. Maryland is more annoying than VA but there are good areas and good homeschooling opportunities. VA has tons of activities, lots of good areas to live, and much better services (I know you asked about homeschooling but let me tell you, you don't want to be serviced by Pepco-which serves much of Maryland and DC, they have power outages all the time and long ones too. We have had some here too but Dominion is much, much, much more responsive.) For crime, Prince Georges county in MD is the worse followed closely by DC. VA is overall safer but Montgomery County, and further out Maryland seem nice too.

Really the homeschooling will be fine in any of the places, it isn't PA or NY or even arbitrary MA. The areas are used to homeschooling and here in Fairfax County, the school officials I have had to deal with have been very helpful and supportive- more so than in any other state I have lived in. So concentrate on finding the right neighborhood and dwelling and you will be alright.

I live in VA, and I find the mandatory yearly testing (or assessment) suffocating. After hsing for many years, it is now for religious reasons, but when we moved here four years ago, I found the filing process for that to be too intimidating (varies by county, apparently).

But I'd be more unhappy to meet with someone yearly. I'd start asking questions about why they aren't more concerned with kids in ps than my kids.:glare:

I really resent government intrusion, can you tell?:D

MD doesn't have mandatory testing; you choose whether to opt in or out of standardized testing.

You have the choice of being reviewed by the county reviewer (the personality of whom, as indicated, is variable by county, but the *requirements* are state level and the law states explicitly that individual jurisdictions may not add any), or an umbrella group. The groups (being religious organizations by definition) each define their own requirements and review process.

For county reviews, you are required to show evidence of "regular and thorough" instruction in the subjects generally taught at grade level. You provide this through a portfolio of work samples.

If you review with the county, you file a notice of intent the first year, then let them know you're continuing before the beginning of each school year by letter or email. If you go with an umbrella, they do the annual notification for you.

I will note that I have some bias here because I direct an inclusive umbrella group. However, many of my friends review through their counties here on the eastern shore, and they don't have any problems.

I live in Loudoun County, VA. Each year I file a notice with the school board, and provide a list of subjects I will teach. For $25, I order the CAT test to proctor at home, and send the results to the school (I'm not sure which CAT it is, but my kindergartener could have passed the 3rd grade test my older son took). They have to score above the 25th percentile or something like that. I do have the option of having my kids take standard tests at the school for free.

The whole thing is very easy. The county sends me reminders as well. It takes about 2 hours each year to administer the test, and about 10 minutes to draft the letter of intent to homeschool.