Menu

Do you have to take driver's ed in the county you live in?

Does anyone happen to know?

The nearest high school in our county is 45 plus minutes away. However, the closest high school is only 15 minutes away in the bordering county.

My dd is doing driver's ed (in NC) this summer. There were several schools doing driver's ed, but the kids were split up based upon what school they attended (kids from x, y and z schools went to y school for driver's ed, for example). The homeschooled students were lumped in with the private school kids at one of the local private schools.

Does anyone happen to know?

The nearest high school in our county is 45 plus minutes away. However, the closest high school is only 15 minutes away in the bordering county.

NC does require you to take driver's ed, not teach it yourself.

When I was ready with my oldest, I think I googled "driver's ed wake county" and came up with a web site. I found a list of when ot was offered at the county high schools and private schools. In Wake, they also offered a homeschooler class as well.

I don't remember having to take it in my county, but Wake is pretty biga nd I live about in the middle so it was easy for me to take it here. I have a friend who lives in Chatham Co and so her dd took it there.

I just checked the NCDOT site. All it says is check with your school. But then the NCDNPE site says this:

Who is eligible to take it in the Public Schools of North Carolina?

Anyone living in the area of the local public school who is at least 14 ½ years old and enrolled in a North Carolina public, charter, conventional non-public, or home school may take it.

"It" being driver's ed. But this seems to say it is the school (county) you are zoned to. So if you would attend the school 10 minutes away, you can take driver's ed there. Otherwise, unfortunately, you have to go to the one 45 minutes away.

I'm in Chatham county so the closest high school would be 50 plus minutes away - I just looked it up on google maps. Ugh!

That is a long way to drive and then do what.....? Drive back home? It would be hard to kill 6 plus hours a day for a week in Pittsboro - there isn't anything there.

I guess I'll call the Pittsboro high school and find out more info.

What's with this drivers ed business? Over here, we buy the road rules book from the newsagent, study it, take the test for our learners permit and if we pass, either our parents teach us to drive, or we pay for lessons with a driving instructor. When we've clocked enough hours (I don't know if anyone checks because I got my license before logging hours became mandatory) we do our driving test, and if we pass, we get our probationary license. Two years later, that becomes a full license.

Rosie

No, there is no drivers Ed. requirement in the state however many insurance companies offer discounts to young drivers who have taken a course with a certified driving instructor.

ETA: My oldest had already had quite a bit of practice when she took the basic driving course and so the instructor only spent about 4 hours driving time with her before giving her the driving test. The time and cost varied based on the students experience and ability.

Edited by akmommy

Here, they get thier permit the day they turn 15. They have to drive with someone over the age of 21 and drive at least 50 hrs with so many hours at night. Then the day they turn 16, they can go and take thier driving test. If they pass they get thier license.

What's with this drivers ed business? Over here, we buy the road rules book from the newsagent, study it, take the test for our learners permit and if we pass, either our parents teach us to drive, or we pay for lessons with a driving instructor. When we've clocked enough hours (I don't know if anyone checks because I got my license before logging hours became mandatory) we do our driving test, and if we pass, we get our probationary license. Two years later, that becomes a full license.

Rosie

I'm thinking you aren't in the US, right?

It's slightly different state by state. But here in NC, we need to have a certified instructor teach rules of the road to the kids. For my dd it was 5 days one week, 6 hours a day. It includes a certain number of hours of drunk driving ed or rather why to not drive drunk. After that, there is a behind the wheel portion. A different certified instructor takes the kids out for 12 hours of actual driving instruction - 6 hours driving, 6 hours observing. THEN we take a certificate to the driver's license office and get a permit. "Driver's ed" generally refers to the classroom part.

Ages are different by state too. In NC, you can take driver's ed at 14 1/2y, get your permit at 15y and then your license at 16y. When I was learning to drive in VA, I could get my learner's permit at 15y 8m.

I took the driving licence in California without having attended drivers' education, so surely going to the next county would be okay.... Maybe it depends on area. I had learned to drive in Britain, but I wasn't exchanging my licence for a California one - I was taking the full written and practical test.

Laura

I'm pretty sure my son needs to take driver's ed. at the high school he would have attended if he were in public school.

I called and spoke to an admin. with an attitude. She told me that this months driver's ed. is full - okay. That I have to fill out an application and fax or mail it in for the next class in August but that it may be full but that I was free to go and find a private company to teach my son driver's ed. She sounded like having to help homeschoolers was an inconvenience to her day.

Plus the classes are over 2 weeks. So two weeks of driving almost an hour in one direction - find something to do for 4 hours - then drive the hour home.

Ugh!

I think my ds has to take driver's training. I was hoping he could get his permit so I could teach him, but I couldn't find out how! So, he's signed up for driver's ed this summer. We're taking it with a private company. They don't teach it through the schools here.

When I grew up, it was free for high school students! We took it through the school and then got our permit.

It's slightly different state by state. But here in NC, we need to have a certified instructor teach rules of the road to the kids. For my dd it was 5 days one week, 6 hours a day. It includes a certain number of hours of drunk driving ed or rather why to not drive drunk. After that, there is a behind the wheel portion. A different certified instructor takes the kids out for 12 hours of actual driving instruction - 6 hours driving, 6 hours observing. THEN we take a certificate to the driver's license office and get a permit. "Driver's ed" generally refers to the classroom part.

Wow. You guys have a complicated system. You have to pay someone to let your kid watch them drive? When they have been watching you drive for most of their life? That's so weird!! We also get our "don't drink drive" education for free on telly. :lol:

Rosie

I think my ds has to take driver's training. I was hoping he could get his permit so I could teach him, but I couldn't find out how! So, he's signed up for driver's ed this summer. We're taking it with a private company. They don't teach it through the schools here.

When I grew up, it was free for high school students! We took it through the school and then got our permit.

Yes, in Michigan a driving school is required. My son just passed his road test yesterday and we went to the dmv to get his license. (His photo is pretty bad. You get to see how bad it is right away now. :tongue_smilie:)

You have to pay someone to let your kid watch them drive? When they have been watching you drive for most of their life?

Well, sort of. I think Anita was asking about taking it in your county to get it free. You have the option to pay an outside person. But you get it free in the public school and you can contact your base school and get it free that way. The company that does it for my county sometimes has homeschool classes. That's where my oldest took it.

Wow. You guys have a complicated system. You have to pay someone to let your kid watch them drive?. :lol:

Rosie

no, we pay someone to watch our kid drive. :auto:

then the kid has to drive with us (or anyone who can drive over 21) for a year.

In Iredell County we have to use the school that we would attend if we were in public school. They always have a wait list, but have been fairly friendly about the whole thing.