Menu

Help! Tick bite on my preschooler

I just noticed a bullseye rash on my preschooler. It's around a bite and the whole area is puffy. :( No tick in sight. It's in a really obvious spot on his body so it's not like it's been a long time since and I've not noticed it. I am sure that there was nothing there last night.

Does the rash crop up so fast? I don't even think there was any sign of a bite there before. :confused:

What does the bullseye rash mean? That he has lymes? Or that it was a tick? I've been reading about antibiotic treatment but most of them are high dose for 30 days and not for young kids.

I'm hoping the doctor will know what to do but I'm not holding my breath. We have terrible, TERRIBLE doctors at our local clinic and I'm worried they won't treat this properly. :(

What do I need to know, ladies?

I just noticed a bullseye rash on my preschooler. It's around a bite and the whole area is puffy. :( No tick in sight. It's in a really obvious spot on his body so it's not like it's been a long time since and I've not noticed it. I am sure that there was nothing there last night.

Does the rash crop up so fast? I don't even think there was any sign of a bite there before. :confused:

What does the bullseye rash mean? That he has lymes? Or that it was a tick? I've been reading about antibiotic treatment but most of them are high dose for 30 days and not for young kids.

I'm hoping the doctor will know what to do but I'm not holding my breath. We have terrible, TERRIBLE doctors at our local clinic and I'm worried they won't treat this properly. :(

:grouphug:

Bulls eye rash means Lyme disease. Please insist on the proper treatment. I just blogged/posted about this today.

http://thisrealmomslife.blogspot.com/2011/06/our-journey-with-lyme-disease.html

Early on when we were trying to figure out what was wrong with my middle son, my ped. went ahead and treated him for Lymes. He would've been around 3 years old, and she treated him with a long course of abx, so I know it can be done in young children.

I would absolutely have any of my boys treated for Lymes if they had a bullseye rash. The risks are too great and the tests can be unreliable.

:grouphug: Like you needed another thing, right? :grouphug:

Just a head's up, if they want to test him for Lyme it will not show up now. (if it ever does) It takes 4-6 weeks for the body to start producing Lyme antibodies. Also the standard Lyme blood test checks for something like 10 strains when there are thought to be hundreds of different ones.

I'm not trying to scare you, just arm you with knowledge, something I didn't have when we started this.

I've never dealt with Lyme Disease myself, but maybe taking a picture of the rash now would help if it goes away before you can get to the doctor (or if you want a second opinion after the terrible doctors at your clinic.) I think I remember reading that the rash can dissipate quickly. :grouphug:

I has a bullseye rash recently. I was advised here to take a picture, make a dr appt. and get an rx for 28 days of doxycycline. I believe that is the minimum treatment plan.

I was glad I had a pic to show the dr because it disappeared in one day. The dr agreed that it was a bullseye and had to be treated. Athough she would have been happy with 21 days, she agreed to the 28 days abx.

Lyme is scary!! Good luck!

I had some really bad bug bites last year with a bullseye rash (I think I had one on each forearm). The bullseyes appeared within hours of being outside on a really buggy night and grew really big. I was sure I had brown recluse bites or something so I went to the doctor and he said they were likely just infected mosquito bites. Got antibiotics and steroids and was back to normal quickly.

So, just wanted to reassure you that it's possibly not Lyme disease or a brown recluse bite.

See if you can locate 2 puncture wounds on the bite area. If yes, it's likely a spider bite.

I, personally, would probably still try to get a round of antibiotics. Ds6 had a 3 week course of amoxicillan last summer and is currently on another round for a recent tick bite (which we may stop since we found the tick did not test positive for lyme).

Clean the area well with hydrogen peroxide or alcohol and put some neosporin on there in the mean time.

:grouphug:

When my son was 3 or 4, he had what I thought was a new freckle on his abdomen. Found out the next evening on closer inspection that it was a tick that I pulled off. When he woke up the next morning he had a very faint bullseye rash (and another tick lodged in his privates that required the doctor to remove...). We went straight to the doctor where they gave him the 21 days of antibiotics. I remember the doctor saying tick + rash = treat for lyme. They didn't do the test. We are in a very lyme prevalent area.

Also, deer ticks are so, so tiny! Seriously, like speck of dirt tiny! So though you didn't see the tick itself, it may have been there anyway a few days ago. :grouphug:

Please, don't mess around with a bullseye. The consequences of untreated Lyme are NOT worth it (my daughter contracted Lyme around 2.5 years old, and we tested for it--negative; within 8 months, she had full-blown arthritic Lyme in addition to many behavioral issues that we were calling "terrible threes"). It's possible that it's something else, especially since I didn't think the bullseyes were usually puffy. BUT, I'd do the 28 days. Insist on it, loudly and repeatedly. I hate antibiotics, especially in such young ones, but it's so much better than the alternative.

And, if you wait until you can get a positive test result, you could be putting your child through 6 weeks or so of horrible side effects. Again, :grouphug:!