Menu

How to start a jogging routine?

I am ready to get fit! I want to start jogging but I don't really know where to begin because I have never done it before. I have taken up biking as well, but I want to try out for lacrosse and volleyball so I need to build up my endurance. I want to be able to jog for 30 minutes straight without stopping and maybe even go to 45 minutes. I also would like to start running marathons to raise money for cancer and autism.

I plan on waking up early in the morning when it is cooler and that way I will have more time to jog. I have also started a healthy diet plan tohelp along the way.

To all you joggers out there, where do I begin?:bigear:

It's hard to beat the Couch to 5k program. Just Google it--there are about a million (give or take) versions. You can also get the app for iPhones/Blackberrys etc. It's slow & steady and will get you there in just a few weeks. Have fun!

Signed,

One who recently began running and is now up to FIVE MILES without stopping or walking!!! :svengo:

It's hard to beat the Couch to 5k program. Just Google it--there are about a million (give or take) versions. You can also get the app for iPhones/Blackberrys etc. It's slow & steady and will get you there in just a few weeks. Have fun!

Signed,

One who recently began running and is now up to FIVE MILES without stopping or walking!!! :svengo:

:iagree: I just recently started the Couch to 5K program (on Week 2) and already love it!!!

I have absolutely no endurance when it comes to running. I can sprint if it's a short distance, but jogging anything more than 2 minutes killed me :D

I love how it alternates between jogging and walking and builds you up over time.

You can follow the couch to 5K program. Several people here have done that. Check out your local running club and/or running shoe store (not general sporting goods store). Running clubs and running stores often have intro programs, where you meet once a week for 5-8 weeks. They'll spend 15 minutes on a few tips and go on a short run with the group. Having the once a week thing helps because it makes you run in between so you keep up the next week. Hopefully, by the end of the session you've developed the habit. Once I felt confident I started making it a point to join the local running club for one weekly run. The group has so many levels and speeds it's easy to find someone to run with. This keeps me to my regular workouts at 5:15 am during the week. I look forward to meeting the group once a week--it's an incentive to stay at it.

Signed,

Amazing! I love it already, thank you all! This is perfecto!! :lol:

I literally just got back from my first C25K run. It kicked my butt, but I'm ridiculously out of shape. Seriously, the most movement I've been getting in a long time is watching my little raccoon run around Ravenwood Faire on FB. If you are in better shape than I am (and you probably are...), then it is awesome! As it is, I'll be doing Day 1 for quite a while. At least until I can actually finish it.

I got an app from the Android Market for it that I like a lot, though. It lets you program your own music into it (last time I tried C25K, I had to listen to this music that came with the podcast... definitely wasn't my type. I think it was considered techno or something?), and then the guy just tells you when to run and walk. It also tells you when you're half done.

Of course, by the time I got home, I was thinking rather un-Christian thoughts about the guy on the app. :glare: Did I mention I'm really, REALLY out of shape?

I am ready to get fit! I want to start jogging but I don't really know where to begin because I have never done it before. I have taken up biking as well, but I want to try out for lacrosse and volleyball so I need to build up my endurance. I want to be able to jog for 30 minutes straight without stopping and maybe even go to 45 minutes. I also would like to start running marathons to raise money for cancer and autism.

I plan on waking up early in the morning when it is cooler and that way I will have more time to jog. I have also started a healthy diet plan tohelp along the way.

To all you joggers out there, where do I begin?:bigear:

Can you walk comfortably for 30 minutes? If so I'd just go out for 30 minutes and walk for 5, jog for 1, or whatever feels ok to you initially. Start smaller with 10 or 15 minutes if you want. Go slow and have fun!

The hardest part, especially for early morning runs, is getting your shoes on and getting out the door for me. Tell yourself if it's awful after 10 minutes, you'll go back. By 10 minutes I'm always happy I'm out there. :D Good luck!

Can you walk comfortably for 30 minutes? If so I'd just go out for 30 minutes and walk for 5, jog for 1, or whatever feels ok to you initially. Start smaller with 10 or 15 minutes if you want. Go slow and have fun!

The hardest part, especially for early morning runs, is getting your shoes on and getting out the door for me. Tell yourself if it's awful after 10 minutes, you'll go back. By 10 minutes I'm always happy I'm out there. :D Good luck!

I actually walk for 2 hours a day but I never jogged before, it is so much fun! Week one is going really well for me (couch to 5k) and I can't wait to start week 2!

Take it slow. Get good shoes. Stretch after running (not before.) Hydrate. Have fun. :)

Very good advice, but may I ask why you don't stretch before and after? Thank you!

I like the couch to 5k and I am enjoying doing it at my own pace, I feel better than I have in a long time and I can't wait to run my first marathon!

Thank you all!

A couple of tips:

1. If you plan on exercising in the early morning, lay out your running gear the night before....even sleep in some of your running clothes if you choose. It makes getting out the door so much easier!

2. Another :thumbup: for C25K. I have to admit that I modified it a bit. Without taking a cheat sheet with me, I simply couldn't keep remember how many/how long the segments should be. To simplify things, I deviated from the C25K plan, and made up my own....something like run 30 seconds, walk 4 minutes...and I did that 4 or 5 times. Then the next week, run 1 minute, walk 4 minutes, etc., etc. Eventually, you'll work up to the point where you are running more than walking (run 8 minutes, walk 1, etc.) I didn't have one of those fancy runners watches....so I just took my small kitchen timer!

Good luck!

For me, personally, the only way I'd start a jogging routine would be being chased by a vicious animal.

But, since its unlikely to be repeated, I guess it wouldn't become a 'routine' :lol:

:iagree::iagree:

I have bad knees where it feels like someone is stabbing me in the kneecaps with every step. Add in an ankle injury and I am just not a running candidate.

:iagree::iagree:

I have bad knees where it feels like someone is stabbing me in the kneecaps with every step. Add in an ankle injury and I am just not a running candidate.

For me, its the stoopid arm. Walking for too long makes it feel like its pulling out of the socket. Running/jogging would have to be life or death :lol: