Menu

Reading List help for advanced rising 1st grader

I am trying to compile a list for my 5 year old who is going into 1st grade next year. He just finished Charlotte's Web, and I am trying to find books that fit a few criteria:

1. Not twaddle

2. Age appropriate yet also reading-level appropriate

3. Not-tiny font --this is a turn-off for him, and some books that might be appropriate in other ways only seem to be available with a tiny font.

4. He is a sensitive boy, and parts of Charlotte's Web were very sad for him, so definitely nothing too sad, aggressive etc.

The books I am considering are the following (other suggestions more than welcome)

Pippi Longstocking

The Mouse and the Motorcycle

Mrs Piggle Wiggle

Harriet the Spy

How to Eat Fried Worms (not sure this is appropriate?)

Stuart Little

The Littles

Tornado by Betsy Byars

I would appreciate ideas. Thank you.

ETA: he has read all the Roald Dahl books already.

Here's the list I made for this coming year (my son has read Charlotte's Web also). Some of these are a bit higher grade level, but they'd probably be doable at some point in the year:

Detectives in Togas

Henry Huggins

Homer Price

Mr. Popper's Penguins

Mrs. Piggle Wiggle

The Sword in the Tree

The Minstrel in the Tower

Follow My Leader

Caddie Woodlawn

The Happy Hollisters

101 Dalmations (by Dodie Smith)

Charlie and the Chocolate Factory

Redwall

The Phantom Tollbooth

The Book of Three

I haven't read ANY of these except Detectives in Togas, so I can't tell you about scary content. Amazon has samples for most of them so you can see text size. These are just suggestions I've picked up from here (I had a thread last week about this), Sonlight, HOD, VP, etc.

Others we've read this year:

Trumpet of the Swan

My Father's Dragon (trilogy - he LOVED this, and it's not scary)

The Chalkbox Kid

Stone Fox

The Boxcar Children series

And we read Tornado, but you already have that on the list (it's not as advanced as Charlotte's Web, but it was a good "first chapter book" for DS... I think he read Charlotte's Web 2 books later).

Here's the list I made for this coming year (my son has read Charlotte's Web also). Some of these are a bit higher grade level, but they'd probably be doable at some point in the year:

Detectives in Togas

Henry Huggins

Homer Price

Mr. Popper's Penguins

Mrs. Piggle Wiggle

The Sword in the Tree

Follow My Leader

Caddie Woodlawn

The Happy Hollisters

Redwall

The Phantom Tollbooth

The Book of Three

I haven't read ANY of these except Detectives in Togas, so I can't tell you about scary content. Amazon has samples for most of them so you can see text size. These are just suggestions I've picked up from here (I had a thread last week about this), Sonlight, HOD, VP, etc.

Trumpet of the Swan

The Chalkbox Kid

Stone Fox

And we read Tornado, but you already have that on the list (it's not as advanced as Charlotte's Web, but it was a good "first chapter book" for DS... I think he read Charlotte's Web 2 books later).

FWIW, the Happy Hollisters are great as well as the Phantom Tollbooth! Oh, and she's read Mr. Popper's Penguins multiple times. On the other hand, DD cried at the end of Stone Fox. She said it was great except for the end, so you might pre-read that one.

Detectives in Togas

Henry Huggins

Homer Price

Mr. Popper's Penguins

Mrs. Piggle Wiggle

The Sword in the Tree

Follow My Leader

Caddie Woodlawn

The Happy Hollisters

Redwall

The Phantom Tollbooth

The Book of Three

Trumpet of the Swan

The Chalkbox Kid

Stone Fox

You've gotten great suggestions. I wanted to add a cautionary note for "Detectives in Togas." My sensitive boy would NOT have been able to read that book at that age. And he got scared by "The Book of Three" when we tried to read it out loud. "Redwall" is wonderful, but there is a lot of fighting in it. Your son may be fine with these books, but you might want to pre-read or just check them out a bit.

My son loved "Freddy Goes to Florida" and the other books in that series, but they might be a little more difficult in reading level.

Here's something I wish I'd known a LONG time ago! Don't discount books that have tiny print. Go to the library and ask if they have it in a large print version. I didn't realize our library had an entire wall of the youth section full of large-print books until my read-y child was past the "no tiny print" stage.

Guest trelam

My DS sounds similar to yours. He loves to read...loved my father's dragon series and all of Roald Dahl's.

Some others he loved:

Half Magic

Melvin Beederman Superhero

George's Secret Key to the universe (by Lucy and Stephen Hawking)

Akiko series

Black Beauty

Tale of Desperaux

Magic school bus Chapter books

The Secret of Platform 13

The Island of the Aunts

Beverly Cleary books (Ramona, Henry, Ribsy, Ralph the Mouse, etc)

Simon Bloom; Gravity Keeper

Harry Potter (let him read up to book 3 - I think 3 starts to get a little too dark but he loved it)

Hank the Cowdog series

Encyclopedia Brown series

Lion, Witch and the Wardrobe

Indian in the Cupboard (and other books by same author)

It's a constant battle looking for books that will challenge him a little, yet be interesting to him and age appropriate.

best of luck

Here's something I wish I'd known a LONG time ago! Don't discount books that have tiny print. Go to the library and ask if they have it in a large print version. I didn't realize our library had an entire wall of the youth section full of large-print books until my read-y child was past the "no tiny print" stage.

Oh yes, I'd forgotten that I got some large print books for one of my dc. Also if you have an ereader, you can change the size of the print to make it easier to read.

What's the process for getting a sticky post on a forum? I think it would be great to have a sticky with recommendations for young advanced readers - it's a topic that comes up a lot, and it really can be a delicate process to find books that are interesting and challenging reads but not too old emotionally.

Don't forget nonfiction. My 7yo's teacher believd that nonfiction books showed how well you could read since the vocabulary is larger. My daughter's reading is high but she's not always interested in reading older kid situations. There's a site I go to often to find books on her reading level and interest level in whatever format. I think it's with Scholastic. I'm not at my computer now to check.

Don't forget nonfiction. My 7yo's teacher believd that nonfiction books showed how well you could read since the vocabulary is larger. My daughter's reading is high but she's not always interested in reading older kid situations. There's a site I go to often to find books on her reading level and interest level in whatever format. I think it's with Scholastic. I'm not at my computer now to check.

We do non-fiction via history and science, though I often get that stuff a little below his reading level so it will be more interesting (there are a TON of great history/science books in the 3rd-ish grade level reading range).

The Scholastic site you're probably thinking about is their Book Wizard. I love that site!

Oooh. I bet dd would love to start reading the Let's Read And Find Out series soon....

Magic School Bus has easy chapter books, too.

The sonlight lists are a great place to browse for ideas. You could look at both the read aloud and reader lists. The reader package for grades 4 to 5 is a nice collection of books that were largely new to me. The read alouds for grades one and two would also provide a nice list of titles that are age appropriate but more challenging than the grade readers.