Menu

Catholics, how would you answer this objection?

• Replies 170
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm a proud Roman Catholic who loves my faith dearly, and although I really don't have anything particular to add. I'm downloading and listening to Gregorian Chant while enjoying reading this thread immensely.:Angel_anim: I'm so mellow right now. :chillpill:

Continue on... :thumbup:

Edited by 3Blessings4Me

Not that you need mine or my family's approval but I just want you all to know that not all non-Catholics feel this way. I am Christian of the Wesleyan persuasion :) I remember as a child hearing something somewhere about Catholics not being Christians and asked my dad about it. My dad, who was a PK and a much older than normal dad, told me that just like all the people who go to my church weren't necessarily Christians in their hearts he was sure that somewhere there were some people who attended a Catholic church who weren't Christians in their heart but that Catholics believed in Jesus for their saving grace just like we do. They were God's people just like we are. Confession was explained to me kind of like a how many Protestants have a mentor or pastor that holds them accountable. He went on to point out some more differences but also showed me we have more in common with each other than we have different. I have NEVER understood the derision that some have for the Catholic church. I hope that you all don't think all of us Protestants were raised to hate you.

I have to ask this in all seriousness (I'm not being snarky). Do protestant churches actually discuss Catholicism and its beliefs or "beliefs" in church. I mean, the minister actually preaches about Catholicism as his topic? They study it in Sunday school?

I obviously can't speak for all churches because some have seen this and posted here but please know it isn't true for all. Our church has NEVER had a sermon or a SS class about this. In the town in Oregon I was raised in and attended church in from birth until two months ago our pastor was very good friends with the St Peter's priest. Our town had a weekly breakfast between the pastors of multiple churches including the Catholic church. We even all put together community outreaches multiple times a year. There was a rule that no one could say which church they were from during the outreaches so that the community would only see that we were all the body of Christ working together to help others. I know it isn't this way everywhere but I love the vision that our town put together for the world to see, I hope in the future the world's body of Christ can act more like it does in that town.

Carry on! Sorry if way too OT but I have really enjoyed this thread, it has given me more insight and I even bookmarked a few pages mentioned to go back and read later. I think it is wonderful that you ladies stand up for your faith in such a respectful way and are willing to answer everyone's questions. It made me sad that you have been attacked for your faith by other Christians that should have stood alongside of you. :grouphug:

It's funny how when you only know one thing, you expect everything always to be like it, whether it's a conscious expectation or not. My former pastor had been Catholic and had spent a lot of time telling everyone what he'd been 'saved' from and if there were any other former Catholics, it would be a 'Praise the Lord you were brought out' and such.

Well, I expected that when I went to my first confession but in the opposite way. But I didn't realize I had expected it until I had time to ponder my time with the Priest.

I heard nothing like it and so far, nothing about any other church. Just focusing on ourselves and celebrating Mass.

Edited by justamouse

I have to ask this in all seriousness (I'm not being snarky). Do protestant churches actually discuss Catholicism and its beliefs or "beliefs" in church. I mean, the minister actually preaches about Catholicism as his topic? They study it in Sunday school?

I was raised RC and I take the kids to church now and I've never, ever heard a homily or CCE lesson about other faiths.

In Protestant churches I've been in (I was raised Southern Baptist and only recently stopped going after realizing it's not really where I belong), no, the pastor does not preach about Catholics. It's just an overall and pervasive attitude. If Catholics are brought up in a conversation, their beliefs are completely misrepresented. I appreciate the patience of the women at this forum who have educated me extensively since I started coming here, probably without knowing it since I don't really post in these threads. I do read them though. :)

Not that you need mine or my family's approval but I just want you all to know that not all non-Catholics feel this way. I am Christian of the Wesleyan persuasion :) I remember as a child hearing something somewhere about Catholics not being Christians and asked my dad about it. My dad, who was a PK and a much older than normal dad, told me that just like all the people who go to my church weren't necessarily Christians in their hearts he was sure that somewhere there were some people who attended a Catholic church who weren't Christians in their heart but that Catholics believed in Jesus for their saving grace just like we do. They were God's people just like we are. Confession was explained to me kind of like a how many Protestants have a mentor or pastor that holds them accountable. He went on to point out some more differences but also showed me we have more in common with each other than we have different. I have NEVER understood the derision that some have for the Catholic church. I hope that you all don't think all of us Protestants were raised to hate you.

I obviously can't speak for all churches because some have seen this and posted here but please know it isn't true for all. Our church has NEVER had a sermon or a SS class about this. In the town in Oregon I was raised in and attended church in from birth until two months ago our pastor was very good friends with the St Peter's priest. Our town had a weekly breakfast between the pastors of multiple churches including the Catholic church. We even all put together community outreaches multiple times a year. There was a rule that no one could say which church they were from during the outreaches so that the community would only see that we were all the body of Christ working together to help others. I know it isn't this way everywhere but I love the vision that our town put together for the world to see, I hope in the future the world's body of Christ can act more like it does in that town.

Carry on! Sorry if way too OT but I have really enjoyed this thread, it has given me more insight and I even bookmarked a few pages mentioned to go back and read later. I think it is wonderful that you ladies stand up for your faith in such a respectful way and are willing to answer everyone's questions. It made me sad that you have been attacked for your faith by other Christians that should have stood alongside of you. :grouphug:

Thank you for sharing this. Your hometown sounds wonderful!

There are several reasons:

Thanks for the insight.

I've enjoyed the threads about Caltholicism and the Orthodox churches and have spent a few months researching (trying to build up the nerve to actually try one).

Go ahead and go this Sunday. The Mass and the Divine Liturgy are similar in many ways but also very different. Pick one for this weekend and one for next weekend.

I'm a proud Roman Catholic who loves my faith dearly, and although I really don't have anything particular to add. I'm downloading and listening to Gregorian Chant while enjoying reading this thread immensely.:Angel_anim: I'm so mellow right now. :chillpill:

Continue on... :thumbup:

Cool link. Thanks.

I hope that you all don't think all of us Protestants were raised to hate you.

I personally don't think that. I have two IRL best friends. One is very Catholic. The other is very Baptist. I took my Baptist friend to her doctor on Monday. On the way back she needed to stop at her church. She said, "I know you don't want your car seen in the parking lot. I'll be quick." :lol: I told dd to buckle her seatbelt so when the lightning and thunder start she wouldn't be thrown from the car. :smilielol5:

So we laugh with and about each other's religious views.

This has deep roots, doesn't it? After all it wasn't just a tea tax that led to the American revolution. It was also the Quebec Act that gave rights to Roman Catholics.

Yes, deep roots. Good point.

Someone here mentioned a Protestant Pastor who had previously been RC. IME, some of the folks who engaged in the most egregious RC-bashing were folks who had left the RCC.

My FIL is a retired pastor (Church of G-d) and he was raised RC. It should be interesting if/when he learns (and we have done nothing to hide it - it just isn't something we would bring up in conversation with FIL or MIL - and they live 3 hours away) that we have all been attending Mass and ds10 has been through Altar Server Training. I would not expect him to be hateful or disrespectful, but I do know he will not be happy if dh should decide to convert to Catholicism. Not that either of us care.

Edited by MariannNOVA

Back to the OP's original questions on page 1. The things I said about my relatives in the first post are actually literally what they think, not to characterize all Catholics everywhere. I wish my relatives would read this thread so that they could see the value of the Bible and having a relationship with God.

Back to the original question, when you told your Baptist friend that you are thinking of going back to Mass, it probably conjured up images like the one I described with my relatives. If I were you, I would tell her that you are interested in renewing your relationship with God, and things like reading the Bible are important. Also, tell her that you know that you don't need to go through the priest to talk to God because Jesus made you right with God through His death on the cross. If you said those kinds of things, I think your Baptist friend would be very enthusiastic.

Mrs. Twain, All those things about Roman Catholicism that it seems to me that you view as an impediment to becoming closer to God have had the opposite effect on me. I find your suggestion of how the original poster should explain herself to her Baptist friends distressing. It sounds like you want Catholics to minimize important aspects of their faith so that our Catholic faith seems more palatable and different from the images you've "conjured up" in your mind.

When you say your relatives should read this thread so they could see the value of the Bible and having a relationship with God, I just wish to say that you cannot know their hearts--only God knows that. You suggest to the original poster that she make sure her friends know that, "You don't need to need to go through the priest to talk with God because Jesus made you right with God through his death on the cross." It seems to me when I read this whole statement that you are in fact referring here to the Sacrament of Penance, and there are requirements with regard to that if one is a practicing Catholic. So, of course Catholics can talk directly to God, but that doesn't undo the obligation a practicing Catholic has with regard to confession.

Edited by Violet

Hopefully nobody minds...I'm a Southern Baptist eavesdropper :lol: listening in. I wanted to add that we don't all hold to the misconceptions. I don't pretend to know the ins and outs of Catholicism, but I happily embrace ya'll as my christian siblings in Christ.

To the op: I hope your conversation goes well.

Catholics talk directly to God all the time. Confession is a sacrament that is mediated by a priest. As are several other sacraments. Confession is the only one where they issue a Get Out of Jail Free card. Also, the Divine Mercy is "Bank Error in Your Favor."

:thumbup:

Just wanted to say about the Protestants preaching anti-Catholic messages, there is a wide range of beliefs on the Protestant spectrum. I was raised in a Presbyterian church, PC(USA), and there were never any anti-Catholic sermons or teachings. My church fully considered all churches, Catholic and Protestant, to be our Christian brothers and sisters.

And it's been very interesting to learn more about the Catholic church from reading what you ladies have posted! I mainly just learned the regular Bible stories and simple messages and am only now really starting to delve more deeply into all the theological differences within Christianity so I appreciate having a chance to read more about what people believe. :)

Just wanted to say about the Protestants preaching anti-Catholic messages, there is a wide range of beliefs on the Protestant spectrum.

Indeed. You could probably go from a Catholic service to a High Anglican service and be quite at home. :D

• 1 month later...

Forgive me if I'm repeating anyone as I just stumbled on this thread and didn't read all 11?? pages. This is the bible verse that Catholics believe is the basis for confession. How were they supposed to forgive if people didn't tell them their sins?

John 20:21-23 from biblegateway

21 Again Jesus said, “Peace be with you! As the Father has sent me, I am sending you.” 22 And with that he breathed on them and said, “Receive the Holy Spirit. 23 If you forgive anyone’s sins, their sins are forgiven; if you do not forgive them, they are not forgiven.”

oh boy! you have to be so careful when speaking about other people's religions. i am catholic and am from a big catholic family, and live in a big catholic area of united states. some people of other faiths do have this understanding of us not being able to speak directly to God, among many other misconceptions.

but here's the thing. of course we can talk to God in our own prayers and ask for forgiveness etc... BUT the practice of "going to confession" and actually speaking to someone else is helpful for us to give up what we did. i hope i explained that well enough. also, did you know that suicide is lower in the catholic faith than others? this is attributed to the act of actually telling another person what we have done wrong, and hearing the forgiveness from that person (priest) who is acting on God's behalf. interesting!

the ultimate goal is for all of us to go to heaven. whichever path we choose that helps us get there and live a life for Christ is the right one. the path that is correct for me may not be the right one for you.

one final note. i think it is so important for our youth (or any age) to have a course in world religions. I think by understaning others' beliefs (may not go along with yours) can help teach respect and tolerance of all our faiths :grouphug:

angel