Menu

Will I have to go live in a tent on the outskirts of the Hive if....

AvasMom

I don't teach my kids Latin?? The fact is...my dd hates it. Passionately. With all her heart. I'm not sure I want this to be my hill to die on. I think I'd rather just teach them both Spanish. I took 5 years of Spanish when I was in school. I can teach it with confidence. Latin...not so much. If I add a Greek and Latin root study will that be enough? Honestly, I'd rather their challenging, grapple-with subjects be things like math and writing. To add Latin onto that just, I don't know, it's too much I think. Help! I don't want to deprive them of an education but I don't want them thinking school sucks and that they hate Latin either. :confused:

Make room in the tent for me. :)

We did some Latin with older dd-dabbled in Minimus/Lively Latin and then did LFC A-part of C- and it just took so much of our time and it wasn't getting us where we wanted to go anyway.

We dropped it and I won't do any more, or do it with younger ds.

We're not even going to start it. I talked with a mentor I have close by that homeschooled all 5 of her kids through high school and each went on to higher education with honors. She understood why some chose to go that route, but insisted it is not a necessity to a happy and educated life. So we'll do modern languages and learn our Greek and Latin roots and enjoy life.

No Latin.

No desire.

No way.

There are many educated people who have not studied Latin and somehow they are still intelligent. :)

I have one ds graduating with a degree in engineering...with honors. He is going for his phd next.

I have another ds that is working his way through college while majoring in programming.

No Latin for either of them.

Edited by Susie in MS

No Latin here.

I have no interest in teaching Latin. Maybe Latin roots for vocabulary, but if I had to choose a dead language, I would teach ancient Greek so my dc could read the Bible in it's original language.

Other than vocabulary, I don't see a point in Latin unless you were going into a field of study where you had to read original texts.

I'll join you in your tent city too.

I thought I'd teach Latin, bought LFC and LL, I never used either one. I actually bought and sold LFC 3 times.

As others have said learning latin isn't the only road to being an well educated person. I know many say it's handy for someone if they are going into Law or Medicine, but I was a medical secretary for many years and all it took was one Medical Terminology class and I was golden. That class wasn't any harder for me who'd never been exposed to Latin before than it was for those that had taken some Latin in their past school years.

I'll join all of you in the tent, lol. I bought Lively Latin the first year we homeschooled. Ended up dropping it after a few weeks because we just couldn't find the time for it. Bought Latin For Children the second year and we dropped that for the same reason.

I would LOVE to teach/learn Latin and my boys would really enjoy it, but I just can't seem to find the time for it.

Can you move over? I need a bit more room for my air mattress! (No intentions of teaching Latin over here)!

:lol: If we can bring air mattresses I'm totally coming. I'll teach Latin if my kids want to learn it. We might try it out with something inexpensive and simple, but if it's not fun, we'll quit. I have a reluctant student, and this is NOT worth the arguments. A modern language, yes, a dead one? Nope.

I'll join you in that tent. I have no plans to teach latin unless the kids request it.

:iagree:

Don't worry about it. Though I would suggest picking another language you enjoy. There is a lot of logic taught in learning another language.

:iagree:

Learning another language gives you some real skills in logic and grammar. But, we just don't have time for Latin, or desire, or money, or patience to add one more subject!! I speak French so we're going that route: more useful and more fun!!:D

(I do plan a word root study as vocab in mid school).

I love you guys and I'm so glad I'm not alone. :D However, those of you with air mattresses are going to have to bring the small ones because apparently this rebel camp is going to be larger than previously thought. Haha! ;)

Teach the Spanish with a happy heart and our fullest blessings.

My dd did take Latin and Spanish, and did well with both. She has an ear for language so it was a good choice for her. Plus I had a friend willing to teach it. If I hadn't had that resource, I doubt dd would have done Latin, because we had just. too. much. upheaval in our lives for me to teach an unfamiliar language.

My ds will NOT be taking Latin. He struggles much more with language than does dd. He is learning only Spanish so as not to clutter up his brain with more language stuff than he can learn WELL. No guilt there at all--this is a good choice for him.

If your kids are learning Spanish well and enjoying the process, GOOD FOR YOU. You have a custom-tailored education that fits your gifts and abilities. I'm sure it will be great!!!

Did Latin with DS but with DD's we are doing Spanish. I am going to do Latin Roots but our foreign language is Spanish and in the future Mandarin.

Anyone is welcome to join me in my tent. I'm serving Margaritas and killer Quesadillas! :lol:

I decided on Latin for DS, but mainly because I took Latin in college, and I loved it. I feel more confident teaching it than I would teaching a modern language. If I was more comfortable with Spanish, and it was more enjoyable for DS, I'd go with that, without hesitation.

(This is probably heresy, but honestly, Latin isn't that hard to learn, once you have a good grasp of English grammar, due to the limited vocabulary, standard forms, and no real need to understand it conversationally. I am far more comfortable reading Latin after just one year of college Latin than I am reading Spanish, which I studied for five years. So if your kids get interested in learning Latin at some point, I'd say that once they hit high school or college, they could probably pick it up relatively quickly on their own. I feel like it takes much longer to become proficient in a modern language, so if I was confident in a modern language, my personal preference would probably be to start my kids on the modern language when young, because years and years of study are often needed to become fluent, and then save Latin for high school, since I don't think they'd need more time than that to gain proficiency.)

Still have room in that tent for me? I'll bring the non-alcholic daquries. I loathe Latin. I am not teaching it. And logic...unless someone knows a dvd based secular course.

My oldest wants to learn Greek. But likely I will stick with one of the other 3 languages I do know (sort of from my youth) Dutch, German and French.

Edited by Guest