Menu

Does anyone NOT study grammar during the elementary years?

garddwr

We have so many things to study, I don't feel like we have time for separate grammar study. It seems to me that my children are immersed in rich language, and will pick up the structure of the language naturally. I don't think it will hurt them to wait to study formal grammar. What would be good reasons to study grammar early? If you have waited what was your experience?

Thanks!

Sarah

Well, I'm no expert:) but I do not/am not teaching grammar in the early years. Granted, by oldest is only in Kindergarten:D But, for me, as long as he is talking and narrating properly, then I don't find it necissary for my first grader to know any formal grammar rules. This year, without any formal teaching, he has learned that all sentences start with a capital letter, that a sentence conveys a complete thought, and that sentences end with a period, question mark or explanation mark. He's also learned what a semicolon, colon, and comma is. I do not plan to start formal grammar until between 3rd and 5th. At the same time, I have no doubt that he and his sisters will learn grammar info without it being taught formally.

This is something I have just run up against with my DS 11/ DD 9. I'm wishing I would have started formal Grammar earlier because we are running up against nouns, verbs, objects and subjects in our language studies (Greek and we'll be starting another language next year) and none of us have a good enough grasp of Grammar for this not to be an issue :blush: I even ran across a problem using the 5th grade Handwriting Without Tears book which dabbles in Grammar while practicing cursive.

I started DS in R&S 3 this year (I just happened to have that on hand) and things are much easier for him even though he's just started. My poor DD is really struggling. It's just too much to learn a language plus grammar at the same time. I had the same trouble in college French, I just couldn't keep up since I was expected to understand and use basic Grammar ( I had next to no Grammar in school)

Anyway, that's our situation, I'll be starting Grammar earlier with my two little ones, and a stronger Phonics program too (Abeka). Just tools so they can move on to learn other things more easily. I can see where this will be beneficial in what I have planned for them down the road. Ymmv! :)

My ds will be starting grammar at age 8 for 3rd grade. Up until now we have not studied grammar except for what he learns from Mad Libs and Grammar Rock. He is my oldest so I can not tell you how it will turn out. He will be doing R&S grammar 2. I tried to do PLL with him this year but dropped it. I do not plan to start any of mine until around 3rd grade.

This is something I have just run up against with my DS 11/ DD 9. I'm wishing I would have started formal Grammar earlier because we are running up against nouns, verbs, objects and subjects in our language studies (Greek and we'll be starting another language next year) and none of us have a good enough grasp of Grammar for this not to be an issue :blush: I even ran across a problem using the 5th grade Handwriting Without Tears book which dabbles in Grammar while practicing cursive.

I started DS in R&S 3 this year (I just happened to have that on hand) and things are much easier for him even though he's just started. My poor DD is really struggling. It's just too much to learn a language plus grammar at the same time. I had the same trouble in college French, I just couldn't keep up since I was expected to understand and use basic Grammar ( I had next to no Grammar in school)

Anyway, that's our situation, I'll be starting Grammar earlier with my two little ones, and a stronger Phonics program too (Abeka). Just tools so they can move on to learn other things more easily. I can see where this will be beneficial in what I have planned for them down the road. Ymmv! :)

:iagree:I am not accelerating my ds11 and dd9 through PR 2 (just finished PR1) and WWE and FLL.

Ds6, dd4, and dd2 are all doing phonics PR1 slowly) and are being introduced to grammar in a fun and slow way. But I will NEVER go back to doing none.

We were using books from AO and other sources (like SL CORE 3). It still was not enough for my ds11 and dd9 to pick it up naturally. It hurt their confidence in writing as well. :(

Edited by AngelBee

This was a subject that was discussed a few months ago on one of the TOG forums. It is the position of Marcia Somerville, TOG's creator, that ideally children should not study grammar until at least 6th grade. And when they do, it should be studied concurrently with Latin.

Have you ever looked at Analytical Grammar? My kids are too young for grammar, yet, but I am intrigued by AG's position that the study of grammar can be done later than most other programs with very little time commitment.

I don't know how I will feel about all of this in a couple of years, but for now, I am not doing grammar with my 6yo.

The main reasons I see to study grammar are:

Detailed writing instruction

Formal study of a foreign language

Standardized testing

If you don't plan to do any of these during your elementary years, you may do very well without studying grammar.

Personally, I have liked an early, but light study of grammar. I cannot rave enough about The Sentence Family which is a fun intro for all elementary grades.

I don't believe in Grammar prior to third grade, but then I believe it essential to cover thoroughly each year.

We don't start "formal" grammar until 3rd grade. There is light exposure to grammar in SWR's The Wise Guide but in my experience, the ideas don't really stick or carryover until the kids are older.

My #2 child had some grammar exposure this year with Prima Latina, but didn't "get" it. She'll do GWG 3 starting in the fall & I think that is a good first exposure to formal grammar.

My oldest really solidified her understanding of some basic grammar concepts with Writing Tales I this year and Prima Latina reinforced & enhanced it.

Maybe my kids are really "slow," but 3rd seemed plenty early for formal grammar. Depending on how #2 does with GWG, I might wait until WT to introduce grammar with future kids.

I have wondered about this as well, especially for my oldest with whom language comes naturally. My husband is a natural born writer and even writes for a living. He says he thinks grammar is unnecessary. He believes if one is exposed to great literature and lots of reading then he/she will know how to write well. Because writing is such a struggle for me, it is hard for me to go along with him. I don't want my girls to struggle like I have. I will reread and have to think a long time before putting something in an email or thread post (like here :)). Though I do understand grammar and remember grammar from school I am a weak writer. Maybe it depends on the child.

I am glad to see others waited until the children were older and were fine.

I didn't do much till 3rd either, but then we had the opportunity to send the kids to a private Christian Classical school...

They were woefully behind, and DS was placed a grade lower. (spelling/writing issues too)

So, if you choose this route, just make sure a private school isn't in your kids future.

(the grade placements was a combo of poor grammar/spelling skills, and the timing of when they tested him. We had just switched to year round, and DS had only been in 3rd grade for 2-3 months when he was evaluated)

We have so many things to study, I don't feel like we have time for separate grammar study. It seems to me that my children are immersed in rich language, and will pick up the structure of the language naturally. I don't think it will hurt them to wait to study formal grammar. What would be good reasons to study grammar early? If you have waited what was your experience?

Thanks!

Sarah

It has been difficult to find a good Spanish program that we can use without already having a good foundation in English grammar.