Menu

The Amazing Value of the Kindle in Homeschooling!

I'm thinking about this. I have a Kindle, and it is mine. :D Do you think it would be a foolish thing to get one for my girls, loaded with their reading for school? I don't know if that would be possible, just thinking out loud.

• 2 weeks later...
I'm thinking about this. I have a Kindle, and it is mine. :D Do you think it would be a foolish thing to get one for my girls, loaded with their reading for school? I don't know if that would be possible, just thinking out loud.

I've been thinking about this, too. I have a Kindle, and I hate to share.

It's mine, my own, my precioussssss... :sneaky2:

In my opinion, if you're serious about ebooks, you need an ereader for every reader in the house. Our three-year-old knows he'll get his own ereader when he learns how to read. Sharing an ereader is like trying to share the new hot book that just came out that you only have one copy of- and five people in the family who want to read it. Doesn't work.

Since the new ad-supported one is $114 (and they've promised no "racy" or suggestive ads, just boring stuff like credit cards) I would go for it. Not back when they were $250+, but now, sure!

Since the new ad-supported one is $114 (and they've promised no "racy" or suggestive ads, just boring stuff like credit cards) I would go for it. Not back when they were $250+, but now, sure!

We just got my MIL one with the ads for Mother's day. They aren't bad at all. They have a small banner ad when you are on the menu screen and the screen savers are ads as well. That's it. And they are boring ads, too, like Olay with a picture of a lotion bottle. I wouldn't hesitate to get it for a child if I was getting an e-reader for them anyways.

We just got my MIL one with the ads for Mother's day. They aren't bad at all. They have a small banner ad when you are on the menu screen and the screen savers are ads as well. That's it. And they are boring ads, too, like Olay with a picture of a lotion bottle. I wouldn't hesitate to get it for a child if I was getting an e-reader for them anyways.

This is good to know. I've been debating about one of those for dd12, but I wasn't sure if the ads would be appropriate. I know some of the ads that pop up in the free apps that I've downloaded on my phone have been less than desirable.

Ads on a Kindle????? Can no corner of our world be safe from ads???????

So those of you with more than one Kindle in the house: how does it work as far as sharing books among Kindles? I would register all Kindles to my account, right? But are all books automatically shared? I have a few books on my Kindle that are not quite appropriate for the kiddos, kwim?

In my opinion, if you're serious about ebooks, you need an ereader for every reader in the house. Our three-year-old knows he'll get his own ereader when he learns how to read. Sharing an ereader is like trying to share the new hot book that just came out that you only have one copy of- and five people in the family who want to read it. Doesn't work.

:iagree:

My dh has my old 2nd gen Kindle, oldest ds, dd and I each have a 3rd gen kindle and my soon to be 6 year old is very excited that he'll get his once he's reading (probably for next xmas or so) he can't wait for and reminds me daily that he needs the red cover with the built in light. LOL

So those of you with more than one Kindle in the house: how does it work as far as sharing books among Kindles? I would register all Kindles to my account, right? But are all books automatically shared? I have a few books on my Kindle that are not quite appropriate for the kiddos, kwim?

Right now I have mine, dd and oldest ds's kindles linked to my amazon account. All of the books I buy through it are available to download to any one of them or all three of them. I also made sure not to set up the ones for my kids with the wifi in the house because otherwise when it syncs them it puts all the books I've bought on them and some of my books wouldn't be of interest to my kids. So for them I just do "Download to PC" when I buy their books and then put them on the Kindles via USB directly. I really wish Kindle would update so that you could do it like playlists in Itunes and only sync the ones you want to any particular ipod (that's how I have our ipods all set up on my computer)

HTH

Since the new ad-supported one is $114 (and they've promised no "racy" or suggestive ads, just boring stuff like credit cards) I would go for it.

I didn't like the idea of ads on a Kindle, but from what I'm reading the ad supported version also has some really good offers only available if you have that particular model. For example, there's an audible.com offer available only to owners of the ad supported Kindle - 6 months of audible for $6. Dh and I are thinking of getting ds one both for school and personal reading. If we do, I'm not sure if I'll take the ad supported one and give him mine, or just let him have the new one.

I loathe software with ads; the trial Microsoft Office with ads in the sidebar on my laptop almost drove me insane! I bought Office just to get rid of the ads, LOL!

We recently bought our just turned 9 year old the Kindle with WiFi. I think it was $139.

He is our voracious reader. Since he received it (May 9th), he's downloaded over 120 free books from Project Gutenberg, Internet Archive, and Open Library. I love that we can download all of these out of print books *for free* --- we have spent a small fortune in the past few years tracking down used printed copies of his favorite series from the early 1900s. We tallied and found that if we had purchased paper versions of his new ebooks, we would have spent well over $2,000!!! :)

Edited by Heather in WI

I was wondering if a Nook might not be better for homeschooling since you can get one in color? I just can't imagine getting children's illustrated books with no color. I was really leaning towards the Kindle until being in Barnes and Noble so much the past couple of months. (although I did avoid the nook displays, just happened to see the add with all the colorful kids' books.)

ETA: is the iPad Nook app for color? I'm still thinking an iPad would be more useful for me.

I was wondering if a Nook might not be better for homeschooling since you can get one in color? I just can't imagine getting children's illustrated books with no color. I was really leaning towards the Kindle until being in Barnes and Noble so much the past couple of months. (although I did avoid the nook displays, just happened to see the add with all the colorful kids' books.)

ETA: is the iPad Nook app for color? I'm still thinking an iPad would be more useful for me.

The Nook Color is actually a tablet, and has a reflective screen just like a computer. For extended reading e-ink is generally better. Unfortunately color e-ink is still being developed. The short answer is, if you want a tiny portable computer that does cool stuff, buy a tablet, and you can manage to read on it if you need to. If you want to read on-the-go (as in outside, or in a car/train/bus with the sun/bright lights shining on you), you want an e-ink ereader. Color e-ink is coming (and that will be a happy, beautiful day!), it's just not here yet. You have to choose, unless you've got enough disposable income and purse space to get both.

The Nook Color is actually a tablet, and has a reflective screen just like a computer. For extended reading e-ink is generally better. Unfortunately color e-ink is still being developed. The short answer is, if you want a tiny portable computer that does cool stuff, buy a tablet, and you can manage to read on it if you need to. If you want to read on-the-go (as in outside, or in a car/train/bus with the sun/bright lights shining on you), you want an e-ink ereader. Color e-ink is coming (and that will be a happy, beautiful day!), it's just not here yet. You have to choose, unless you've got enough disposable income and purse space to get both.

Thanks, I didn't realize the differences were that drastic. So the iPad would make more sense then in that respect.

Barnes and Noble just released a new Nook with better e-ink (so claims the store and reviewers). For the price, I would get that instead of the Kindle with ads because the new Nook is about the same price and does not have ads. Just a thought.

I have a Nook Color and love it. I am considering getting my dd the newest Nook so she can have it when she goes away to college. She is already realizing she can't take all her books, so this might be a way for her to have her favorites with her.

Kindle is coming out with the ability to borrow books from the library also, not sure exactly when that is supposedt to be available but I understand it should be soon.

My four year old 'reads' alphabet books and that sort of thing on my kindle now, as well as early readers that I made up for him, saved as a .pdf file, and loaded onto the kindle, and has demanded one of his own for his next birthday........the seven year old and the eleven year old insisted on one also. I have to keep a tight grip on mine or someone will sneak off with it. We use it for school every day and it would be soooooo much easier if everybody had their own.

Sometimes I feel hopelessly backwards...I love holding a book in my hands! Love the weight, feel, smell of the pages. I should probably consider getting an e-reader, especially with the high cost of paper books in children's literature, but somehow I haven't been able to make the mental leap.

I love technology! I personally believe that things like Gutenberg, e-readers, iPads, Khan Academy, and, hopefully the project I am a part of (see sig.) will revolutionize the way we think about education and the possibilities of homeschooling.

I love technology! I personally believe that things like Gutenberg, e-readers, iPads, Khan Academy, and, hopefully the project I am a part of (see sig.) will revolutionize the way we think about education and the possibilities of homeschooling.

:iagree: I was browsing the Khan Academy videos earlier today and saving some as favorites for ds to watch this fall. Your site looks interesting btw. I think it's great what you all are doing.

:iagree: I was browsing the Khan Academy videos earlier today and saving some as favorites for ds to watch this fall. Your site looks interesting btw. I think it's great what you all are doing.

Thank you! Seeing someone say that means a lot.

And how can we convince Amazon to give us a Homeschooler Discount?:tongue_smilie:

• 1 month later...
Sometimes I feel hopelessly backwards...I love holding a book in my hands! Love the weight, feel, smell of the pages. I should probably consider getting an e-reader, especially with the high cost of paper books in children's literature, but somehow I haven't been able to make the mental leap.

A Kindle takes up a lot less room than 1000's of books, especially useful if you travel or have a weight limit when you move, or if you have a wife that complains that all your books make the bedroom look too nerdy! :P