Menu

TMI: Has anyone here had pelvic floor repair surgery?

When my second DS was delivered, I had to have a huge episiotomy due to shoulder dystocia and his failing heart rate. I've had a minor rectocele and cystocele since then, though it's not really very minor anymore.

Anyway, I know I need to make a consultation to arrange for surgical repair, but I've been putting it off because really, when do moms ever have time for something like that?

But really...the issues stemming from it are getting old and I really think it's time to fix it. Of course, as soon as I decide this, I start seeing lawyer commercials on TV about faulty mesh being used in these types of surgeries and I'm thinking...great!

Anyway, if anyone has any BTDT experience to share, I would love to hear it. (i.e. recovery time, post-surgical pain, what TEA time is like afterward...)

Thanks in advance!

For me, it was a quick recovery, very little pain med, not miserable.

I do feel "scarred" and am glad I did this after the teA time of my life was over. My hormones had left, I wasn't trying to conceive, and I'm not involved in a romantic relationship. If I had one or two of them still active, I suspect I would have figured a way to "cope".

I had the sling surgery for bladder prolapse 1 year ago. (I have forgotten the medical terms!) I couldn't be happier! My recovery was painless. The worst part was having to wear a catheter for several days (4-5) after surgery. I have had no complications and I can jump, sneeze, cough, run...(you get the idea) again. I couldn't lift heavy objects including my dd for 4 weeks.

I did do PT before deciding on the surgery. My dh took care of things at home.

Hth!

I had a radical hysterectomy, bladder lift, and rectal hernia repair done all at once last October. I will say the vaginal/rectal repair was the most painful part of the procedure, but my repair was large. TeA was painful for quite a while as well because it tightened everything so much. The hardest part for me was a 4 week lifting restriction. My twins were 22 months old and were over my weight limit so that was a challenge. All that being said, it was well worth it and I felt like a new woman once I was all healed up. (and I don't wet my pants when I sneeze anymore!)

I'm holding off.

I have a rectocele, cystocele, and urocele to different degrees.

The worst is definitely the urocele - fallen bladder.

My damage was done with Baby #5 - a.k.a. Pumpkin Head. :glare:

However, I will say that how good/bad it is varies a LOT. It was dreadful earlier this year after a surgery and I didn't see how I could continue with it at all. Then it improved. Every time I've gone through a truly wretched time, it's been followed by improvement. It will be unpleasant for 6-8 weeks after this baby.

My perinatologists have said that unless it's truly a quality of life issue, to not repair it. I wouldn't have an optional hysterectomy and as of right now it isn't preventing us from babies, so I'm surviving. Well, more than that - it's different but not horrible most of the time.

I'd say if you can use the bathroom without splinting, assistance, etc. and you're pain free, leave it alone. If it's truly affecting quality of life, fix it. I'm very (very) scared of having it fixed.

LOL about the Kegels! Count UP the elevator....and DOWN.... :lol:

Unfortunately, it has affected me in the bathroom (too TMI to talk about how) and has for years, but it just feels different now...which makes me wonder if it's getting worse.

My OB basically said the same thing yours did, Blsdmama...

Decisions, decisions!

I did. I'd rather not describe as it is TMI, but recovery was very fast and I was up and operational with just a few days of taking it easy. TeA is just fine now, thanks, and all the plumbing is working much better as well. Surgery was 8 years ago and I've been very happy with the results.