Menu

Lodging during our move

OMG! I am so frustrated! I've been looking up hotels/motels to try to plan our trip across the country, and most sites I visit mention a four person maximum occupancy. This is so frustrating! We need to save money (single income military family here), so we don't want to have to rent two rooms each night, and we're not looking to stay in uber-expensive hotels. We have four kids, no pets. I have NO idea how to go about getting rooms for us!

Any advice? I know there are lots of military wives here, I hope someone can steer me in the right direction. We are planning to take the 8 east to AZ, then take the 17 up to the 40 east to Memphis. There aren't Navy Lodges on that route, LOL, except in Memphis (and we won't be staying there overnight, we'll be staying with family in AL).

I don't know how far we'll get the first day, I don't know what a reasonable amount of distance is to plan for (we don't want to do any tourist stops, just rest stops/pit stops) per day. I'm a wreck. I am PMSing big time, we have 6 weeks left till our move, and I feel SO overwhelmed. UGH!!!!!!!

I know the last time we moved across country..we stayed at Hampton Inn Suites or places like that. More space and not to much more money. There was 5 of us and a dog..of course the dog had to sleep in the truck. Good luck on your move...I'm currently doing the same thing..tis the season for the military.:)

I know the last time we moved across country..we stayed at Hampton Inn Suites or places like that. More space and not to much more money. There was 5 of us and a dog..of course the dog had to sleep in the truck. Good luck on your move...I'm currently doing the same thing..tis the season for the military.:)

:iagree: Hampton Inns are awesome! Much nicer than Motel 6 and for just a little bit more.

It had 2 queen sized beds and a pull out sofa bed to sleep 2. And it only cost $10 more than the Best Western across the street. Ask for a discount - I'm sure they have a military discount - and then ask if that's their best price. We stopped on our way up to NC and the guy in reception went down from $129 to $89. On our way back down to FL a different guy was at reception and he said the price was $109. When I mentioned the $89 from the previous week, he matched the price.

My only advice is, make sure you don't get the room over the indoor pool and spa. I thought we were going to roast.

Just keep calling around. It's only been the last couple of years this 4 person max issue has come up and it's a serious PITA. It's especially bad since a lot of places no longer have connecting rooms. Seriously? You think I'm going to stick my children in a room unattended? We've managed to find places with lower-priced suites or connecting rooms but it hasn't been easy.

Yup! Clarion Suites is awesome!!! Nice big rooms that sleep 6. The breakfast in the morning is wonderful too.

We've stayed with four kids in a regular hotel room too. We were honest with the front desk and usually they didn't care. We didn't mind being squashed for a night when we were just staying there for 12 hours tops! Try calling instead of making the reservations on line.

Jenn,

I empathize with you. It's hard for us too because of those restrictions. Honestly, if they had a rule where no more than 4 unrelated people could share a room it would make more sense. But when you're talking about minor children, well, it's just ridiculous. Usury.

Can you stay on military bases as you travel? Would that make practical sense? Or are Navy Lodges the equivalent of bases? Can you see how ignorant I am of military stuff?

How many days will it take you to drive from point A to point B?

The second thing is a question. Are you originally from Iowa? Someplace else in that general area?

I'm asking because I have a friend who is from Iowa and she is the only person I know who calls interstates "the 40" or "the 17." :001_smile:

Because I'm sure you could stay in Air Force and Army temp. quarters as well, esp. on orders. Hmm, I'm trying to think of a website that has a map of all military installations CONUS, but I can't think of one, and I don't have time to google right now. We're leaving Monday for a big trip west for a wedding. We're going to try to stay at F.E. Warren AFB in Wyoming and Ellsworth AFB in South Dakota, and that's just space-A!

As far as hotels go, we have 6 kids, and it is always hard to find rooms. We pretty much always stay in the Comfort Inn family of hotels (www.choicehotels.com) because a LOT of them have rooms with 2 beds and a 2-person pull-out sofa. We usually get the phone number of the place we are thinking about staying off the internet, and then make the reservations by calling the hotel directly. We've found that often the local places don't even care that there will be 8 in a room, especially when they find out how young our kids are (the youngest 2 are still in pack-n-plays). This usually means we have to stop somewhere near a bigger city to find hotels with the 2 bed/pull-out sofa rooms, but we're usually able to do it. But we definitely can't just stop when we feel like stopping--everything has to be very well-planned!

I hope it all works out!

I ran into this issue too. What I decided to do (rather than lie on the internet forms) was just to call to make my reservations. Rarely did they even ask how many kids we had and if they did, I just said, "they are all small and some will sleep in sleeping bags on the floor or in bed with us." Not one responded weirdly to that. They just put us down for one room and that was that. If the kids were over 17 or something I think then they would probably say something. HTH

Okay, I'm back. I've nursed and looked at your route. I also dug up an old "Military Travel Guide, USA" that has info on all the installations CONUS. Here's what looks like it's on your route:

Luke AFB, Phoenix, AZ-- lodging phone number is 623-856-3941

Kirtland AFB, Albuquerque, NM-- 505-846-9652

Tinker AFB, Oklahoma City, OK-- 405-734-7426

Little Rock AFB, Little Rock, AR-- 501-987-6753/6652

As far as how far to go in a day, 500 miles takes us about 8 hours with just bathroom/food stops. We try to go about 600 miles, no more than 700 miles, in a day. I use http://www.randmcnally.com/rmc/directions/dirGetMileageInput.jsp?cmty=0, this mileage website, to determine mileage between cities, when I'm trying to plan out our stopping points.

I hope this is helpful! Where are you starting out from? San Diego? Feel free to ask me about any other locations, or more specifics about any of the bases. Air Force lodging is usually really nice.

We almost always stay at Comfort Suites and Inns. (The rooms are much bigger than Hampton, btw) We have 3 dc, and it has never been a problem. BUT, you have to call the hotel direct, the internet only allows 4 pople per room. Oh, and someone mentioned Clarion, they are part of the same family as Comfort.

HTH

P.S. Best Westerns are usually pretty good too!

LOL! Well, I was going to offer our place when you got to Memphis (we're an hour south east, so it's in the general direction of FL), but that's the only place you've got covered.

We have 6 people, so we usually reserve a place in a suite. We usually reserve through Hotwire or Travelocity and have gotten good deals. Although, my dh has had some good fortune calling hotels directly and explaining that we have small children and don't want them in a separate room, and many have accommodated us in one room with three kids in one double, dh and I in the other, and one kid in a roll-away.

I hope you find something. And you are still welcome to stop for a free lunch on your way through!

I'm asking because I have a friend who is from Iowa and she is the only person I know who calls interstates "the 40" or "the 17." :001_smile:

I'm betting she picked that up in Californy. As I recall from my six-year stay in sunny SD, all freeways and interstates were called "the". Down here, I only hear "the loop" and "the tollway". I always wondered why numbered expressways seemed to merit an article out west. :confused::D

Jenn,

I empathize with you. It's hard for us too because of those restrictions. Honestly, if they had a rule where no more than 4 unrelated people could share a room it would make more sense. But when you're talking about minor children, well, it's just ridiculous. Usury.

Can you stay on military bases as you travel? Would that make practical sense? Or are Navy Lodges the equivalent of bases? Can you see how ignorant I am of military stuff?

How many days will it take you to drive from point A to point B?

The second thing is a question. Are you originally from Iowa? Someplace else in that general area?

LOL, no I am from Alabama :D

What do you call them, if you don't call them "the number"? Just curious.

Navy Lodges are the inns on Navy bases. We should be able to stay in them with no problem, since we are relocating we get top priorite for available rooms. We also get free nights in the Navy Lodge, for every so many nights that we pay (I think for every three nights, you get one free night when relocating). I'm not familiar with the other branches lodging or if they would give us "priority" status. We are thinking it will take about 4 days to get from here to Alabama (we're stopping there for a few days to visit the relatives).

Awe, thanks Tutor! You are so sweet! It would be great to meet you IRL. I don't know if the DC will be in a well-behaved state of mind at that point, LOL. Heck, I don't know if I'll be SANE at that point, LOL.

:eek: :lol:

LOL, I just say the number, like "We head west on 70 and then north on 75" or something. Or maybe "I-70". No article in front, though.

You would definitely get priority on AF bases as well. I know you can call now and make reservations, whereas we who are trying to stay space-A have to wait until the day before to call. Rooms sure are cheap though--less than $40 a night usually, and often the lodging is housing units that are furnished, so you would get a 2 or 3 bedroom place. Works great for our big crew! : )

Californians do this.

I can always tell when I'm talking to a transplant in Seattle. They refer to the main interstate as The Five. Something no one from this area would do. :D

I'm LOL, I really had no idea there was a regional "dialect" in reference to interstates.

Now that I think about it though, in Birmingham people say I-59, etc. when there are lots

of freeways around, but the main East-West road in our county is just "the 78" or "78 East" "78 West".

I don't notice a "noticeable" difference between any of those "titles".

I'm LOL, I really had no idea there was a regional "dialect" in reference to interstates.

The funny thing is that there is no one *right* way around here, but there is a *wrong* way.

The main N-S interstate is I-5. The Eastside interstate is referred to as 405 - No I, no The. Several highways are known both by their numbers and their names. 169 is Maple Valley highway, and 167 is The Valley Freeway.

:001_huh:

Thank you Claire! That is very helpful. We are starting out in San Diego.

We live in the NW Valley (Phoenix), and it takes us about 6 hours to get to Encinitas/Carlsbad area. So I would think from San Diego, you could make it in one day, although my experience on long trips with little kids is minimal. You'll find plenty of hotels in the Phoenix area, as well as Luke AFB in the west valley, if that works.

Wendi

P.S. I grew up in FL, where most interstates were referred to simply by number (take 75 north, etc.), but for some reason the main interstate that cuts through Orlando was called I-4, not just 4. I noticed my friends from California used "the" in front of highway numbers. We do it in Phoenix, too. Now I say, "take the 101 to the 17".

I totally forgot about that from last fall when we spent a month in Scottsdale, AZ. Everyone gave us directions as "the ##". Here in Alabama we say either "take Interstate 10" or "take I 10". Funny.

Hey, we'll be moving from Alabama to Arizona, so in spite of the fact you are starting in San Diego, there will be 2 Bama transplants in AZ soon. :)

Californians do this.

I can always tell when I'm talking to a transplant in Seattle. They refer to the main interstate as The Five. Something no one from this area would do. :D

I sooooo resemble this remark.

Oh well, i'm a 3rd generation Californian - what can i say???? :D

Now, i will say that i don't say "the 27" - which is the highway right out my front door. It's just 27.

AND hey, maybe it's because out west we don't call it the "10" - it's "the San Bernadino freeway"???? Names, not numbers! LOL!!

Several highways are known both by their numbers and their names. 169 is Maple Valley highway, and 167 is The Valley Freeway.

:001_huh:

Call the interstates and other roads by their "given" names, like Gaston Parkway or Shirley Highway or Evans Expressway. All the locals know, of course, that it's named for their wonderful senator who served for 45 years in Washington, but it's NOT on the map! It's I-44E, or I-395 or whatever.

Happy trails whichever routes you take.

About the hotel room thing. Here is how we chose lodging:

1. Look for a military base with a lodge

2. Look for a suite (Embassy, Hampton Inn, Comfort Inn and Suite, etc.)

3. Boldly violate the rule because it's arbitrary and unsafe- justifying that the whole reason the max. capacity exists is for fire safety and our family is a whole lot safer in the same room.

If option 3 must be exercised then we sneak in through side doors. It's sad, but true.

Jo

LOL, no I am from Alabama :D

What do you call them, if you don't call them "the number"? Just curious.

Too funny.

We call them either "I-the number" or "Rte. the number." Oh, and sometimes just the number itself, like "287."

Well, happy trails, whatever you call it. It looks like you've gotten some good leads here anyway.:001_smile:

Now that I think about it though, in Birmingham people say I-59, etc. when there are lots

of freeways around, but the main East-West road in our county is just "the 78" or "78 East" "78 West".

I don't notice a "noticeable" difference between any of those "titles".

Are you from B'ham? I grew up in Hoover :)

As for hotels - try the Marriott chain, we've stayed in a 2 BR suite (Towne Suites I think) for < $100. If you were passing through Houston I would invite you to stay here (you wouldn't be in the same bedroom but adjoining rooms, grin) - but it sounds like we're moving about the same time (mid-late June).

3. Boldly violate the rule because it's arbitrary and unsafe- justifying that the whole reason the max. capacity exists is for fire safety and our family is a whole lot safer in the same room.

If option 3 must be exercised then we sneak in through side doors. It's sad, but true.

Jo

:D That's what my mom said we should do- just take them into the room and don't mention how many kids there are if we can't find a place that will take "all" of us. I am just NOT okay sleeping in a strange place with kids withOUT DH in the room with us, ya know? :tongue_smilie:

The thing is, I remember when you could just tell them you had an extra guest and they'd just charge you an extra $10 or so (I guess for the extra towels/breakfast stuffs) and it was no biggie.

We've been debating whether we should take our camping gear with us, just in case, LOL. But I figure that in the summer campsites may be full. :confused: I think I may be overthinking, LOL, but that's what I do. I'm just ready to :auto:

:D That's what my mom said we should do- just take them into the room and don't mention how many kids there are if we can't find a place that will take "all" of us. I am just NOT okay sleeping in a strange place with kids withOUT DH in the room with us, ya know? :tongue_smilie:

The thing is, I remember when you could just tell them you had an extra guest and they'd just charge you an extra $10 or so (I guess for the extra towels/breakfast stuffs) and it was no biggie.

We own an inn. Occupancy rules aren't arbitrary. They're based in part on fire safety and in part based on what works best for the most guests. Having too many people in a room leads to noise complaints from adjacent rooms. (Now, maybe your family is quiet, but that's what *everyone* says. Unless you are repeat guests, the innkeeper has no way of knowing.) I have a responsibility to provide a pleasant experience for all the guests.

Trust me, it only takes one cranky guest complaining about noise to ruin an innkeeper's weekend.

We're not insensitive to the needs of families. (We travel with four kids ourselves.) We have larger rooms that can accommodate more people, but they are more money. They also cost more to maintain, heat, etc. Sometimes people don't want to pay that much, or they wait too late to make their reservation and the larger rooms are all gone.

I do my best to help them find other accommodations, but it is just not worth it to me mentally or financially to put more people in a standard room. In the short run and the long run, it hurts our business.

And I loose a lot of respect for people who lie to me. This is my business, and I'm running it the best I can. My rules are based on experience. If they don't work for you, don't stay here.

(That said, I do recommend calling the hotels directly and being honest about the size of your family and the ages of your kids. The innkeepers will know if they have a room that will work for you.)

Jenn,

Finding out that you are originally from Alabama is doing weird things to my brain. I never "heard your voice" with an Alabama accent. So now I'm having to change the way I read your words. Does that make any sense?

I wonder if anyone else does that?

People often imagine other posters to look a certain way, but I also "hear" them a certain way. :001_huh:

Jenn,

Finding out that you are originally from Alabama is doing weird things to my brain. I never "heard your voice" with an Alabama accent. So now I'm having to change the way I read your words. Does that make any sense?

I wonder if anyone else does that?

People often imagine other posters to look a certain way, but I also "hear" them a certain way. :001_huh:

:lol: I don't "hear" people's posts. Someone on another board said they "hear" a person's avatar pic as their "voice", so they hear Jack when I post. :D