Menu

Mommy Summer School

Please help me create a plan for my own self-education over the summer. I used to think I was somewhat intelligent. Then I came here:tongue_smilie:. I want to stay on top of my children's education. I want to model good study habits for my kids. I want them to see that you are never too old to learn something. So, I've decided to really make an obvious effort this summer. I ordered Elementary Greek for my kids for next school year. I went ahead and ordered an extra workbook for myself in order to work ahead of them. I currently own SWB's History of the Medieval World. Since we are covering the Middle Ages next school year, this will be perfect for history.

I really need a refresher course in grammar.

I want to study some sort of logic.

I know nothing about economics. I should probably fix that soon.

Is there some sort of general intro to philosophy that will not bore me to tears?

I need some science-type book. Anything would help.

Help! I need recommendations, suggestions, general encouragement. Thanks!

Well, I don't have much on the suggestions front, but it sounds like a great project. Go for it! What a great example for your children!

Only book possibility that came to mind was "Sophie's World", which is a philosophy primer masquerading as a novel. Could be an enjoyable way to learn some basics. Disclosure: I haven't read the whole thing yet.

Hope it goes well!

Only book possibility that came to mind was "Sophie's World", which is a philosophy primer masquerading as a novel. Could be an enjoyable way to learn some basics. Disclosure: I haven't read the whole thing yet.

:iagree:When you said that you wanted an enjoyable philosophy book I instantly thought of Sophie's World. You may also be interested in Stephen Law's Philosophy Files (I think it might be called Philosophy Rocks in the US). It's aimed more at teens, but I've found it to be very enjoyable.

For grammar you might want to look at Woe is I or The Deluxe Transitive Vampire.

DD 14 and I have been working on Introduction to Logic. It is focused on formal logic, but has some informal as well.

Is there a particular realm of science you're interested in? Are you looking for living books or a textbook? Without really knowing, I'll throw out a few suggestions. A Short History of Nearly Everything is a very readable science history book. The Discoverers is another excellent science history, probably I bit more complex than Bryson's. They're not books, but the Teaching Company has lots of science courses. I'm really enjoying Physics in Your Life and I'm hoping to get How to Understand the Universe soon.

This is a great project. Way to go! :)

I'm working through Dod by CAP for formal logic. I finally get it! Another interesting read is Aristotle for Everybody by Adler.

Grammar - I'll 2nd the Deluxe Transitive Vampire (if you enjoy dark gothic humor in your grammar text), also Elements of Style would be a quick read.

Science Matters would be a good overall science read. It's designed for adults to create scientific literacy. It has a chapter that makes quantum mechanics even make sense.

Alexander McCall Smith has a series of mystery novels with the theme of philosophy. The first one is The Sunday Philosophy Club. Good for when you want a break or beach reading. They have something like graphic novels for the major philosophers that I saw once in a collegey independent bookstore.

Edited by OrganicAnn

I'm working through Dod by CAP for formal logic. I finally get it! Another interesting read is Aristotle for Everybody by Adler.

Grammar - I'll 2nd the Deluxe Transitive Vampire (if you enjoy dark gothic humor in your grammar text), also Elements of Style would be a quick read.

Science Matters would be a good overall science read. It's designed for adults to create scientific literacy. It has a chapter that makes quantum mechanics even make sense.

I love love love dark humor! I've never heard of this book before. Sounds promising. And thanks for that Science Matters rec. That sounds perfect.

I'm doing Mommy summer school too!

Look at Traditional Logic by Memoria Press. It's what SWB recommends and it looks good. I'm working through book 1 this summer.

For writing I'm working through Writing Strands, starting at Book 5.

For history I'll be reading Herodotus' Histories.

I'm passing on science and math for now. Still detoxing from 15 years of Accountancy.

Wanna be study buddies? I am going to be overseas so the time zones will get in the way, but we could email - keep each other accountable. PM me if interested. Just know I'll be offline for about 2-3 days as we fly and get settled.

Check out Michael Clay Thompson for grammar and the associated practice books. Each level reviews the previous stuff and goes into more detailed and difficult stuff as well.

Edited by joannqn

It looks like you have a lot of heavy lifting planned. So I'll recommend something lighter.

The Cartoon Guide to Physics.

Ds#1, a real science buff, said he learned as much from that book as he did frommhis Apologia Physics text (sans math). I think there may also be similar works for other branches of science.

It looks like you have a lot of heavy lifting planned. So I'll recommend something lighter.

The Cartoon Guide to Physics.

Ds#1, a real science buff, said he learned as much from that book as he did frommhis Apologia Physics text (sans math). I think there may also be similar works for other branches of science.

Yes, there is also The Cartoon Guide to Chemistry, which DD 14 really enjoyed, as well as ones about genetics and the environment.

I just thought of a couple other philosophy books (I happen to be studying this myself right now :)). This is Not a Book and The Philosophy Book are two I've enjoyed. And for a bit of lighter reading there is Plato and a Platypus Walk into a Bar.

Paula's metion of quantum mechanics made me think of The Quantum Zoo, an extremely interesting (and even entertaining) introduction to quantum physics for non-scientists. Marcus Chow has several other books too, although I haven't read them.

I don't have any recommendations in the economics department, but I'm interested myself. Most of my knowledge of the subject comes from LoF Pre-Algebra with Economics. :tongue_smilie:

An Incomplete Education (by Judy Jones and William Wilson) is an easy, fun read with lots of interesting information about everything from grammar to physics to opera. While not a comprehensive resource, it's a great starting point for deciding what you want to read more about. I read it as a teenager, but it holds up fairly well.

As far as the economics, or for that matter philosophy and logic, goes I really prefer to listen to a good lecture.

iTunesU (free!) has a good selection of lectures from a wide variety of universities. I know Berkely has their whole intro econ course available right now, and if that professor doesn't work for you, there are several other universities.

You might enjoy Khan Academy mini-lectures on math, economics, chemistry, etc. These are small bites at a time, auditory and visual, and fun. The videos have accompanying problems to solve. I also advocate starting int he children's section of the library when approaching a new content area. Easy to read, heavily illustrated children's material, like Eyewitness books or an encyclopedia, provide an introduction which makes the adult material instantly familiar and easier to digest. Also, have you seen http://www.academicearth.org, or hippocampus, or the open classroom materials from MIT, Yale, etc. These free online lectures, often with accompanying outlines and reading assignemnts comes directly from tehse universities. I also adore the Teaching Company, but these courses are not free. Have fun!

Thank you guys so much for all the great recs! I have been researching these all afternoon. Those grammar recs look perfect for me. I especially appreciate the recommendations for science. I really had no idea where to go with that one.

To all the ladies embarking on the self-ed journey- Good Luck! I hope more people respond to this thread so others can be inspired.

Someone suggested Woe is I. I second that. It cracked me up, and I couldn't put it down. Words Fail Me by the same author is great, too.

For Logic, I recommend Peter Kreeft's Socratic Logic. This is a college text, but it's a fun read. He cracks me up, too.

I looked up Woe is I. Amazon said there was a chapter titled "Comma Sutra".:lol: It is now in my cart. That alone sold me on the book.