Menu

Am I the only one?

DDR

Who feels like my brain will explode from all of the millions of choices and the possibility that the next curriculum I exhaustively research instead of just planning with what's sitting on my shelf might be the be all and end all of curriculums when, really, truly, and seriously, it's going swimmingly right now? :001_huh:

I love this forum for its wealth of knowledge from newcomers, seasoned pros, and everyone in between, but there are times my head spins. Usually when I'm gearing up for a big round of homeschool purchases.

(advice to self. Breathe. deeply. it's working so keep on keeping on.)

OK. I feel a little better already!

Yes, I felt that way all of the time. Believe it or not still do. Since I've had to use some of the stuff i have here at home anyways even though my girls are going to school. I still have to find stuff that works for them to get the point through. So I look at all that is available and it makes my head want to burst.

So your not the only one. LOL

You are not alone!

We've taken a very laid back approach to school this year and we are ready to ramp up with a more academic focus in 2011-12. I'm getting overwhelmed as there are just too many choices!

We've used enough things to know what definitely does NOT work, but then I come read here and start to question my decisions.

Momma to 4: ages 7,9,11 and 13

(I need to decide what curriculum we are using before making a sig line.)

I can TOTALLY relate! There are soooooo many choices to pick from and all of them of stellar quality. I just really need to park and go, go, go! As a newbie homeshooler myself, I too value these forums. Coming here is like going to the place "where everybody knows youe name." I love the camaraderie and reading about you wonderful people on the same journey. However, there have been many times where I do come here and I leave with my head in a fog. Balance is my #1 goal.

Enjoy it! I spent years researching curriculum and getting so much pleasure doing it. Now, I feel like I've seen it all and I've figured out what works for me and my kids, so it's no fun anymore. I went to a local homeschool conference last month and didn't buy one thing. How depressing is that? It seems like all the fun, eye-catching stuff is for littler kids. I've yet to find a new hobby to take it's place. :001_smile:

Lisa

it's easy to get overwhelmed at the curriculum choices out there. I know when I first read TWTM I was like Can I really do this?! LOL but if you've been doing it a few years like me I'd say to just keep on going with what is working for your kids-if you want to add in some new things that you've found go for it but I tend to think that "if it's not broken don't try to fix it" KWIM? if you're a new comer then the boards here are full of great info....if you are not part of a homeschool group where you can regularly chat and meet with other HS moms and see what they use and what they like......

I've got to find a new hobby too. I can't even remember what I used to do before researching curriculum.

:iagree:That's one way to put it! I didn't realize it had turned in to a hobby for me until I started to look at how much time I spent doing it.

Step away from the computer...

I've got to find a new hobby too. I can't even remember what I used to do before researching curriculum.

I've decided to keep the same hobby, and when my youngest graduates two years from now, I'm planning to start homeschooling other people's children. :) My plan is to teach a small group of girls who are academically capable, but haven't been challenged (very, very common around here in the homeschool community as well as in the public schools).

Edited by ereks mom

You are not alone. I made the mistake of ordering catalogs. Everytime I look at a catalog I'm sold on whatever they are offering. Especially Sonlight. They make me want to just order everything from them and get one big box. I know that it won't work for us as a complete program with all my heart too. And I was all settled into using Sonlight for science until the Apologia catalog came to my door. Now I want to use Apologia.:willy_nilly:

I'm pretty set on what we use for Math, LA, and reading. It's history, geography, and science that I keep going back and forth on.

Honestly, I generally avoid the curriculum forum during most of the year b/c reading about all of the options out there just makes me feel stressed. :blushing:

But, this is the time of year when I really appreciate this forum, b/c I know what I'm keeping next year, and where I need to make changes. And, I want to 'hear' about the curriculum I'm considering before I buy it.

Last year I completely revamped everything. That was overwhelming. This year, I am only anticipating a few changes. :D

My plan is to teach a small group of girls who are academically capable, but haven't been challenged (very, very common arround here in the homeschool community as well as in the public schools).

Oh no! That's why I keep researching curricula. We have an excellent school system, students who end up in the Ivy League, so at least academically, I have to do my research and find the curricula that suits and challenges us. Otherwise, I would really be doing a disservice. It's stressful in a sense but I really enjoy it and I always get really good and detailed responses from parents here. People here really take the time to help each other.

I love this place. Sometimes I love it too much! I have to take breaks from here now and then because I can get a wee bit obsessive over curriculum.

By now I do feel like I have a pretty good idea what might work for our family. It's still fun to lurk on other threads discussing other styles though!