Menu

Christian books vs. Secular texts

I am a Christian. I want my kids to grow up knowing God and having a passion for Him. I want them to be willing to do whatever he asks of them.

That said, I am a bit torn in my textbook choices for my teen. I don't want her totally sheltered from the way the world at large views life, but I still want her to have a Biblical worldview.

Do you use Christian texts or secular ones? What influenced your choice? How do you address the texts that embrace things that you don't necessarily believe in?

I don't want my kids first introduction to different worldviews to be when they are at college and the professor makes out Christians to be idiots.

Would you mind sharing your thoughts?

I am far from having teens, but I was also homeschooled secularly (I am now a Christian). My mom chose to use materials that gave both perspectives. I personally think that it is very important for parents to teach their children what the mainstream views are alongside the family's personal beliefs and values. I have seen so many kids who have grown-up only getting the Christian worldview and once they get out on their own are either 1) seen as ignorant or weird by their peers because they cannot defend their position (it's really hard to fight the opposition when you have no idea what the opposition thinks and is in the majority) or 2) totally lost their faith because they felt betrayed by their parents. And, as you mentioned, college presents its own set of difficulties without understanding both perspectives.

I hope that helps!

EDIT: I meant to note that, for me since I was not a Christian in high school or the beginning of college, it was really helpful understanding where Christians were coming from when I was because I was able to defend my beliefs whilst maintaining sensitivity and respect for my friends' beliefs.

Edited by mhgillil

I am an eclectic teacher as my kids are eclectic learners! It seems like we have every learning style in the book!

We use a variety of books - Christian and secular. For me, as long as they are not ANTI-Christ, ridiculing my faith, etc., (in other words: REALLY neutral) a secular book might be the best option for one of our courses.

We don't totally eliminate other views (nearly impossible with books we get from the library) and when topics come up (evolution being the main one) we talk briefly about how many people do think that, but this is what we believe and why (and why I think evolution can't possibly be true).

I don't want them shocked or rude when it comes up in other conversations with their friends, so I want them to know what else is out there - but only what they need to know. I want them to be respectful (without judgment). As they get older, we teach more about different beliefs.

I have pretty lofty goals, don't I? :)

All that to say, it's not black and white for us. And I've done a TON of research on lots of curriculum to find "just" the right one. (And it's hard for me sometimes when I buy the curriculum and find out it's actually not!)

If you DON'T have the time or desire to look at each book, each level, etc., there are plenty of pre-packaged whole curriculums that are very good (then I would go for Christian).

Don't worry about sheltering your children. I always hope I err on the side of sheltering. They can grow up fast enough. (It doesn't take much to expose them to the "real" world.)

Edited by KinderSafari

I am far from having teens, but I was also homeschooled secularly (I am now a Christian). My mom chose to use materials that gave both perspectives. I personally think that it is very important for parents to teach their children what the mainstream views are alongside the family's personal beliefs and values. I have seen so many kids who have grown-up only getting the Christian worldview and once they get out on their own are either 1) seen as ignorant or weird by their peers because they cannot defend their position (it's really hard to fight the opposition when you have no idea what the opposition thinks and is in the majority) or 2) totally lost their faith because they felt betrayed by their parents. And, as you mentioned, college presents its own set of difficulties without understanding both perspectives.

I hope that helps!

EDIT: I meant to note that, for me since I was not a Christian in high school or the beginning of college, it was really helpful understanding where Christians were coming from when I was because I was able to defend my beliefs whilst maintaining sensitivity and respect for my friends' beliefs.

yes...I have met too many rude Christians who are insensitive to the view points of others to want my kids to grow up completely ignorant of those views. And I don't want them to lose their faith either.

I am a Christian. I want my kids to grow up knowing God and having a passion for Him. I want them to be willing to do whatever he asks of them.

That said, I am a bit torn in my textbook choices for my teen. I don't want her totally sheltered from the way the world at large views life, but I still want her to have a Biblical worldview.

Do you use Christian texts or secular ones? What influenced your choice? How do you address the texts that embrace things that you don't necessarily believe in?

I don't want my kids first introduction to different worldviews to be when they are at college and the professor makes out Christians to be idiots.

Would you mind sharing your thoughts?

Your first statement could be written by me.

I personally do not subscribe to a "Bibical World View".

I use the text that will work best for my child & self, our circumstances for each class & year.I adjust as needed.I've never seen an anti-Christian text.

While there are professors that would act like that, most I've known would respectfully challenge your child to examine some of what they have been taught to believe.

I pre read/research and then read/discuss books with my high school age children that are written by Christians who have differing views of subjects we study. Like creation/evolution, old earth/young earth, etc. It has been very faith strengthening for us all.Under examination my beliefs have been changed, and so have I , in a good way.If you decide to explore your beliefs , I'd be happy to recommend some of our favorite books & blogs.

I'm a Christian and I use secular texts exclusively. I think the whole point of using a Christian text would be to give your kids exposure to your beliefs and the doctrines of your faithbut my problem is that most Christian texts promote a very specific conservative American protestant POV. I'm protestant (Anglican so I get the protestant label by the skin of my teeth :D) but Canadian and my denomination isn't literal, creationist or even sola scriptura so it would defeat the purpose if I used them.

Honestly, textbooks are such a small part of our lives. I think their are far more powerful and meaningful ways to pass on your view of your faith. I wouldn't worry too much over it.

For this reason I use secular texts. I don't have exactly the same problem, yet the problem is so very much the same.

Being Catholic we can't use Christian texts for a variety of reasons. First and foremost Christian texts don't necessarily fulfill the needs of Catholic Christians.

So we get our religious training by living our faith more than by reading about it. Going shopping to get the most bang for the buck to donate to the food pantry is, IMO, a higher priority for living the Christian lifestyle than doing word problems about the same purchase.

Secondary to using secular texts I get a larger variety of curriculum from which to choose the appropriate fit for dd. Locking us into one of the Catholic homeschool curriculum would essentially mean the same as locking ourselves into the public school curriculum. What is the point in doing that?

Edited by Parrothead

I am another Christian who uses secular texts. Being labeled "Christian" doesn't guarantee that it agrees with my theology. I like helping my kids learn how to evaluate what does and doesn't agree with Scripture, so that they are prepared to do so when on their own.

I am trying to present evolution, OE and YE as we believe in a bit of all of them and agree with none of them. Besides that, my own views on the topic have been changing.

It looks like Sonlight presents a variety of views. I am looking forward to using them.

I have been looking for secular science for grades 7 and up as that is when SL switches to Apologia, but the courses that appeal to me do not have things set up for homeschoolers, so it looks like I might end up using a Christian curriculum and adding secular books.

This is a good conversation. We were just discussing it on the Sonlight thread. Thanks.

I too have decided to go YE (even though I lean towards OE) and secular but this is just because looking at Apologia I just cannot seem to find anything else to match it. For secular I am caving and just going with Houghton Mifflin. Adrian will most likely follow a science related path and I just don't want my current choices affecting his future. My goal is to hopefully use both with him. We will use Apologia elementary in the summer and HM during the school year. We'll see how that goes!
Edited by Lovedtodeath

I hear you and am on the same page. I also want my kids to know what other beliefs are, and why they believe what they believe. We use the texts that we find to be most accurate and that they find most interesting to learn from. I have found that Apologia does address the differing viewpoints (evolution vs. creation), and their lab teacher at our coop had them (for extra credit) write a paper with three points of evidence both for and against creation AND evolution. My son argued that there was *no* evidence for evolution. I told him that many people believe in evolution, and to go research it and find out why. I required him to do the paper- to look online, and to see for himself the arguments for opposing viewpoints, and then to write what *his* perspective was after viewing the evidence for both sides.

We are using high school as a time to learn not only the required subjects, but to give them an understanding of the world they will be living in. My son also takes an online Great Books class that reads through the great books and then the teacher discusses with them the differing beliefs and how they compare to the Bible and what that teaches. This has been good for him as well.

I do not choose secular texts just for the reason of exposing kids to different viewpoints. If I found a secular text that I thought taught the material well, we would use it. I have found that most secular science texts present evolution as fact, whereas the Apologia text actually teaches them that neither evolution nor creation can be scientifically proven as fact. I like to see someone who is willing to look at evidence rather than being threatened by evidence that goes against their beliefs.

I have been looking for secular science for grades 7 and up as that is when SL switches to Apologia, but the courses that appeal to me do not have things set up for homeschoolers, so it looks like I might end up using a Christian curriculum and adding secular books.

The Singapore Interactive Science is really good. Material is well presented and there's, as always, a good on thinking skills.

I am Catholic and use primarily secular texts. If there were Catholic curricula that I really liked I would use them, but unfotrunately that is not the case. I have attempted to use Protestant curricula, but it didn't work out too well. I would never use a text that is anti-Christian, but if religion is simply left out that is fine with me.

Although most of our curricula is secular our homeschool (and life in general) is very religious. We pray the liturgy of the hours together, live the liturgical year, go to weekday mass, celebrate saints days, study church history, volunteer for charities, discuss the origins of the universe, etc. I've found it to be much easier to add our beliefs to a secular text than to take out someone else's beliefs from a religious one.

I have found that most secular science texts present evolution as fact, whereas the Apologia text actually teaches them that neither evolution nor creation can be scientifically proven as fact.

I am so confused about Apologia. I read this and think I can use it, then I read a review that says that Apologia crams creationism and speaks of little else. :001_huh:

For this reason I use secular texts. I don't have exactly the same problem, yet the problem is so very much the same.

Being Catholic we can't use Christian texts for a variety of reasons. First and foremost Christian texts don't necessarily fulfill the needs of Catholic Christians.

So we get our religious training by living our faith more than by reading about it. Going shopping to get the most bang for the buck to donate to the food pantry is, IMO, a higher priority for living the Christian lifestyle than doing word problems about the same purchase.

Secondary to using secular texts I get a larger variety of curriculum from which to choose the appropriate fit for dd. Locking us into one of the Catholic homeschool curriculum would essentially mean the same as locking ourselves into the public school curriculum. What is the point in doing that?

I am Catholic and use primarily secular texts. If there were Catholic curricula that I really liked I would use them, but unfotrunately that is not the case. I have attempted to use Protestant curricula, but it didn't work out too well. I would never use a text that is anti-Christian, but if religion is simply left out that is fine with me.

Although most of our curricula is secular our homeschool (and life in general) is very religious. We pray the liturgy of the hours together, live the liturgical year, go to weekday mass, celebrate saints days, study church history, volunteer for charities, discuss the origins of the universe, etc. I've found it to be much easier to add our beliefs to a secular text than to take out someone else's beliefs from a religious one.

:iagree:

We are Christians too, and I love the Christian emphasis in some of our materials. However, I do not support the Young Earth theory, nor the belief that the U.S. is God's blessed country. (Those are just a couple examples.) So, for the most part, I use secular science and history books. I do make some exceptions though, if it seems to be a particularly good book otherwise!

A "Christian" text can usually only represent one facet of the faith, & in doing so, the text is often required to make some sacrifice: good writing, objectivity, etc.

I would prefer to use texts that represent the best scholarship in an area & take responsibility for infusing my faith myself.

ETA: That doesn't mean I'd *avoid* a Christian text; it would just have to meet the same requirements as anything else I'd choose. Too often, I'm afraid the Christian label allows a product to have a "pass" on quality.

That is one of the reasons I appreciate Sonlight. The curriculum comes from a Christian worldview but exposes kids to different beliefs, as well. Like you, I want my children to be educated about the different religious beliefs in the world. (We use the history, readers and literature readalouds.)

I use mostly Christian when the kids are younger or secular if it is fairly neutral. As they get older and are able to have deeper discussions on different views, I use some secular as well. For high school, dd is going to do a 4 year cycle of history. I am actually going to have her reading a Christian textbook and a secular textbook so that we can discuss the differences in views.

We're Catholic and I've tried just using secular texts, and it didn't work out well for us. I'm not well versed on my faith enough to go it alone without the books. That being said, I would gladly add secular texts to our Catholic curriculum. I just enjoy weaving my faith through all of our subjects.

We're Protestant and I've chosen a mix based on which ones seemed to do the best academically for us. It's worked well. When a Christian or secular book disagrees with our beliefs that is a prime time to break into a discussion of why we believe what we believe and still point out that other intelligent people can and do believe differently.

As a very updated side note. For Bio, our local high school uses Glencoe, so my boys have used a combo of Glencoe and Apologia. My youngest just finished taking our state's new Keystone test in Bio and told me he felt Apologia prepared him better.

Whether one agrees or disagrees with YE/OE aside, the rest of the book seems to do a good job.

With regards to YE/OE, my kids learn both theories and I don't require them to pick one. To us, it's a lot like Stonehenge, Nazca Lines, or Atlantis - something many people have theories about based upon what we see, but no one will ever know for certain. It's history. That said, I want them to know what people believe (both sides) so they aren't uneducated in conversations.