Menu

Whole Foods

Healthy but BUDGET-CONSCIOUS moms... what do you buy at Whole Foods? We have one in town but I never shop there because I assume it's too pricey for our budget. I tend to get my dried fruit, raw nuts, etc. from Trader Joe's when I am able to make a trip. But I want to know... is there stuff at WF that is just amazing and a good deal?

I only buy what I can't find from other places or if I need something in a pinch:

local pastured eggs

cultured/pastured butter

coconut oil

San Marzano tomatoes

grass-fed poultry or beef (if we're out of our 1/4 cow)

Kombucha

sprouted wheat pasta

organic snacks/cookies for outings or trips (if i didnt bake them myself)

sprouted wheat bread products

organic whole milk yogurt

Thai Kitchen coconut milk and other condiments

lacto-fermented condiments like pickles, sauerkraut, kimchi, salsa, dressing

I buy meat on sale. This is most of my meat - I buy a lot when it's on sale and freeze it.

Turkey liverwurst

Deli meat (no nitrates)

Fresh organic greens (kale, chard, cabbage, collards)

Other fresh organic produce I can't get easily at TJ's - turnips, other root vegetables, sometimes squash

Organic fruit on sale

Canned beans

Canned organic tomatoes

Bulk oatmeal

Bulk wheat germ

Organic popcorn (this is cheaper at WF than Orville Redenbacher not organic is at the local supermarket).

That's my fairly regular list.

I buy everything I can at Trader Joe's. Greens like frozen spinach and romaine I get there, and the bulk of my other grocery shopping.

In Maine, we called them Whole Paycheck.

I think their corporate values are not what one would expect from a store providing organic foods. I think the owner just jumped on the green bandwagon to make a buck. Local food co-ops, smaller health food stores like Wild Oats or Mrs. Greens, and even Hannaford (a regular Northeastern grocery store) have more eco-friendly values. People also say Trader Joe's has the much better prices than Whole Foods.

In Maine, we called them Whole Paycheck.

They have that name in Oregon too.

I go there for some of the items I can't get in other stores. Bee Pollen, renet, and things like that. I will go through the end of the aisles as they will sometimes have a good deal on whatever they are overstocked on. I picked up some 365 brand coconut milk last week that was on a good deal.

Also, it is the variety. They have one of the better selections of the Amy's frozen foods, ethnic gourmets, and bob red mill.

If we are having company I will get some fun crackers and cheese from there.

Then, there is the special mommy splurge. I LOVE the spinach and orzo salad they make. It is yummy. Granted I am trying to figure out the recipe for myself so that I can make it. I don't have it right yet...

I just read an article where they aren't going to ban Mansanto stuff from their shelves so I'm not sure I'll be shopping there. I guess what I'd really like is for them to change the name of their store.:001_huh:
There was a huge thread about this a couple months back. It isn't true.

I'm not sure if it's all stores, but at our local Whole Foods stores you can get a 10% discount if you buy a case. In general it's still more economical to order through a co-op like United or Azure, but sometimes it can work out to be a very good deal. I tend to stock up on frozen burritos this way. :)

I'm not sure if it's all stores, but at our local Whole Foods stores you can get a 10% discount if you buy a case.

:iagree:

Also, if you buy a whole wheel of cheese, you get the 10% discount. I get my sheep cheese there and buy a wheel of sheep cheese at a time and freeze. I buy mainly my allergy needs there here in the midwest. When we lived in California, it was closer, I went more often, and regular food was higher so there were sometimes things that weren't too bad, especially if they were on sale.