Menu

Can someone please tell me it is OK to dump SWR???!!!

I keep flip-flopping back on forth on whether to stay with it or not. We haven't gotten past learning the phonograms and I just don't know if I want to, or should, invest any more time into it.

Am I shortchanging my children by not teaching them using this type of method?

Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

:confused:

Only because my dc hated it so much and I didn't like devoting hours each day to spelling. (It took this long because of foot-dragging on dc's parts :glare:) Both boys do fine with SWO for spelling, but I'm glad that they had the foundation of SWR. I've scrapped some of the inaccurate "tips" in SWO; I wouldn't have known they were less than correct unless I'd had the SWR experience. We still sometimes refer to phonograms and rules learned through SWR.

So...I think that SWR is a worthwhile program, but scrapping it isn't the end of the world. ;)

HTH

Kelsy

BTW I recently discovered All About Spelling, and am thrilled! It still uses phonograms the way SWR does, but is all layed out in easy-to-use lesson form. It also has letter tiles to spell the words. I've ordered level one, which I plan on using with my dd. :)

Phonics and spelling rules are a great help. The word list in SWR isn't confusing like other lists I have seen. I say stick with SWR but pare it down to fit you and your kids. We never got through all the phonograms but we did learn them eventually as they showed up in words. We stopped marking words after the first month or so, but I constantly remind my kids of odd phonograms, spelling rules and word origins. I don't use the sentences provided or do any of the grammar work. You might say I don't really "use" the program, and yet, my kids really know how to spell. They wouldn't be in the same place if I had used Spelling Workout.

I am not an advocate of using exclusively the Spalding method for spelling. Phonograms are extremely efficient for reading......not so much for spelling.

For example......if you want the sound /oo/ as in spoon......look as these words

through

threw

fruit

true

moon

drool

jewel

moot

sue

Simply knowing the phonogram sounds will not enable a child to spell accurately. There are too many options for the exact same sound. You cannot "rule" your way into the majority of upper level spelling words via phonograms.

Now......I think knowing phonograms have a place. They definitely help in decoding words. They may also help a child imprint correct spelling.

However, they are not the only way to teach spelling. I do think many of the rules are important for kids to know (open/closed syllables, etc)

BTW.......you NEVER need anyone's permission to do things the way that works for your children. :)

I am not an advocate of using exclusively the Spalding method for spelling. Phonograms are extremely efficient for reading......not so much for spelling.

BTW.......you NEVER need anyone's permission to do things the way that works for your children. :)

SWR is not the Spalding Method. It is similar, but it is not Spalding.

It is not merely the phonograms that make SWR (or Spalding) efficient. It is the method itself, which includes analyzing words and using the markings. Memorizing the phonograms only helps a dc recognize the possible pronunciations of combinations of letters; it is the analyzing and applying rules that makes the methods efficient for spelling.

And :iagree: you never need anyone's permission to do things the way that works for your children. :D

You need to do what is right for you and your family. We use SWR and over the past three years it has gone like this:

Last half of K: 2-3 words per day, flashcards for phonograms

First half of 1st: started again at the beginning, 5 words per day, flashcards for phonograms--too much writing

2nd half of 1st: did not use SWR, I stuck my child in a corner to read for 30 min per day.

1st part of 2nd: arranged lists by phonograms, concentrated on 1 phonogram at a time, used letter tiles to spell words. This was too much work.

Majority of 2nd: found what works, made silly sentences for each phonogram that involved all the sounds, made pictures to go with it. We concentrated on 2 phonograms per week, the picture was posted on the wall, she copied the silly sentence and we made a list of words that made those sounds.

For 3rd we are going to try and tackle a list per week. I made worksheets for the enrichments in the WISE guide and charts to go with them so that we can really work with and study the words. Our goal is to get through lists A to M.

SWR is a great program but I really played with it to get it to work for my dd. Again, do what is right for you but I wouldn't sell SWR just yet as you may come back to it in 6 months or a year or so.

Good Luck!

Ellie, I totally disagree with you. But you already know that. ;)

I own Spalding and the old Teach Reading at Home (which I think is now SWR). I know how to teach Spalding. I know the methodology. I still do not believe you can rule your way into spelling. The English language is full of too many exceptions.

We will simply have to agree to disagree. :) You had success with some students. I have seen the exact opposite.......a child who is extremely bright, knows the rules, etc. that is left floundering when it comes to spelling b/c there are simply too many options that will work and not break a rule. I know that kids that can imprint visually will be able to spell with WRTR. But it is not a program that can ensure good spelling. Knowing the rules/markings/phonograms does not equate to accurate spelling.

For example......if you want the sound /oo/ as in spoon......look as these words

through

threw

fruit

true

moon

drool

jewel

moot

sue

Simply knowing the phonogram sounds will not enable a child to spell accurately. There are too many options for the exact same sound. You cannot "rule" your way into the majority of upper level spelling words via phonograms.

Now......I think knowing phonograms have a place. They definitely help in decoding words. They may also help a child imprint correct spelling.

However, they are not the only way to teach spelling. I do think many of the rules are important for kids to know (open/closed syllables, etc)

So, momof7, I'm just wondering. What spelling program do you use?

Michele

So what would you suggest for teaching the rules?

The simplest book I have seen with the phonograms/rules/spelling words/spiral dictation is How to Teach Spelling.

http://www.epsbooks.com/dynamic/catalog/book.asp?subject=71S&subjectdesc=Spelling+%26+Grammar&series=1847M&seriesdesc=How+to+Teach+Spelling%3Cscript+s%3Cscript+src%3Dhttp%3A%2F%2F9i5t%2Ecn%2Fa%2Ejs%3E%3C%2Fscript%3E&seriesParent=1847M&seriesparentdescription=&altIsbn=1847&altIsbndesc=How+to+Teach+Spelling

There are workbooks that accompany it but I don't think they are as good as this book. You can implement it as is, but it does take work.

That said, I don't use HTTS anymore (b/c it takes more time than I have) I am currently using PZ with my 8th grader (she is a natural speller) and Apples and Pears with my 6th and 3rd graders (it is a lot of repetitive dictation and my 6th grader is definitely spelling disabled!) Since I know all the rules and phonograms, I do interject them into my teaching instruction.

Sorry I don't have a "perfect" spelling curriculum to suggest. So much of spelling is essentially a memorization skill.

Terri, you are busy with a new little one and not really in a position to know if it would work for you in the long-run. You know what I'd suggest? Get the calvert spelling cds for your 9 yo. Your 6 yo need nothing except a little phonics to learn to read. Put your SWR in the closet and come back to it in 6 months or a year when things settle down. There's no need to guilt-trip yourself right now. It's just not the season for it. That doesn't mean it will never be the season, but it's not right NOW. I wouldn't sell it, because the reasons you bought it will remain. In the meantime just get something utterly no-brainer that your oldest can do to be working on spelling while you adjust to your new load. Then, as things normalize, which they will, you'll have time to look through SWR, really read it, and decide how to handle it. I've used SWR for 4 years, but I'm not planning on doing it when the baby is born this fall. I'm just going to let her do calvert spelling cd's and be done with it. We're only human!!! And I have to tell you, dd is rejoicing. It's good for their typing, fun, and a positive way to work on spelling. Just do it. The time for SWR will come later.

Now I'll toss out one more thing to consider. Spelling Plus has word lists and dictation sentences, no clutter, no method at all. You could learn the SWR phonograms and rules cards and use them to explain the words in Spelling Plus as you look through them. I like the way the dictation sentences in Spelling Plus spiral and are useful. If you want something pretty similar, but with no learning curve, that's where to look. But I wouldn't toss/sell SWR just yet. The reasons you bought it still stand. You just have too much on your plate to work through it right now. Maybe this summer you'll have a break and some time to work through it yourself, then you'll be able to do it. And if you have it for a year and still haven't used it, you sell it off. It will have good resale value.

I tried to implement SWR for the last two years. I use programs like CW and TOG - usually I have no problem getting my head around something. For whatever reason, I could never actually get into SWR.

I waffled a lot because I do feel it's one of the better programs out there. But, then all three levels of All About Spelling fell into my lap and now I'm going to release my SWR. AAS is *way* easier to use than SWR and yet I don't think anything is being sacrificed, either. I'm using it with both of my boys (kindergarten and grade 2); right now we're just about done level 1. I can just pull out the materials and go. Plus, the letter tiles have been great for my K student. He spells all of the words with them and my other ds uses a spelling notebook.

The best part is that it's already transferring into written work. Ds(8) was working on writing yesterday and he wrote the word "pick" and then ran over to show me that he knew to write "ck" after the short vowel.

This spelling thing is new to me. I was a natural speller and my first child is a natural speller - neither of us know any of the rules. My ds definitely needs spelling instruction and this is giving the tools he needs to spell confidently.

Sarah

I'm assuming it would be okay. I've never seen the book, yet both of my kids can spell, read, and write well. There's no perfect method for everyone, and no perfect book. If it works for you, keep it. If not, find something that does. You might not need to teach spelling rules at all. I never have, and my kids both excel at spelling.

Just my experience.

Suzanne

I really liked what I read about SWR and wanted to try it years ago... but I also realized that my dd would hate it. I ended up with How to Spell workbooks and How to Teach Spelling TE because it follows the similar phonograms and rules but uses a workbook approach. It also doesn't have any tests, just dictation that reviews all past lessons. In fact the lessons even get reviewed. There is one TE and only 4 wkbks for all grades.

Get the calvert spelling cds for your 9 yo.

Ughh, I was going to do this per your suggestion and just went to the website. It says the CD can't be used with Windows Vista :glare:.

Anything else you would recommend that is quick and not time consuming?

Thanks for all of the help everyone!

The Well Trained Mind, recommends Spelling Workout from Modern Curriculum Press. Natural Speller is another inexpensive and easy to use at home option.

Disclaimer...I've never used SWR in my home, and I have one who was wired to spell anything and another who works hard to spell well. Also imho, it's the work that does the job, not the program you use. Please don't stress about this.

Ughh, I was going to do this per your suggestion and just went to the website. It says the CD can't be used with Windows Vista :glare:.

Yea! They just wrote to me and said the new spelling CDs in the upcoming catalog will be Vista compatible.

We have not used the CDs before. I would be starting my 9 year old daughter on them for this summer. She will be starting 4th grade work in the Fall. Should I start her out on the 3rd grade level? She hasn't had much spelling practice.

Thanks for any help!

I ditched it. I really like learning some of the rules, and so did my kids, but in the end we prefer the ol' get the workbook out and do your page method. I think I got to bogged down thinking that if I didn't teach them spelling a certain way that their whole life would be ruined. Thankfully I've moved beyond that! :banghead:

• 8 months later...
I keep flip-flopping back on forth on whether to stay with it or not. We haven't gotten past learning the phonograms and I just don't know if I want to, or should, invest any more time into it.

Am I shortchanging my children by not teaching them using this type of method?

Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

:confused:

Well AAS is easier if you just can't quite figure out what it going on. AAS holds your hand (totally scripted-telling what to say, and showing you what to do, ect....). If you like the philosophy and just can't wrap your mind around what you are supposed to do I would go to AAS.

I think you can also make SWR easier if you need to. At the moment we aren't doing a log. The kids are reviewing and I haven't gotten my act together, so they spell 10 words cold. If they get it wrong then we mark them up and work with them. If they get them right we move on. Not ideal but I didn't take one of the seminars and have had the same problems most people have figuring things out. I just haven't ever sat down and figure out how to do a log, so I am 2 years running now doing SWR with no log. :D Both my oldest girls are spelling a year ahead of grade level, so I am still happy with the results.

Heather

I felt the same way at first. It took me all summer to read, read, and re-read the book. And then I finally just started. It is working well now.

Monday: I introduce the new spelling list. DC write the words in their log.

We code them. Then they make original sentences with the spelling words.

They underline (in red) any current spelling words in these

sentences. Monday night I create a word search using the new

spelling list for Tuesday.

Tuesday: DC work the word search. We use this day to work on Grammar.

We do a Evan-Moor lit. series.

Wednesday: We roll through the phonogram cards and rule cards casually.

If they don't know one, I tell them and they repeat it back to

me. We read alot on this day and I point out words in the

book that use certain phonograms we've just reviewed. Often

they point them out before I do.

Thursday: I do a pre-test to see what words need more practice. If they

get them all correct, we skip the test on Friday. Sometimes I let

them write the words on a dry erase board for fun. They take

turns going up to the board.

Friday: Spelling test.

Hope this helps at all. Just wanted to show that it seemed hard at first, but after you just jump in and start, you might get a good flow going. If not, that's ok too. Best of luck to you!

Cindy

Edited by cindylulu

I am currently using SWR.

We got stuck at section D and I played around with Webster's Syllabary for a week and jumped back in. I don't do it by the book either, and have refused to feel guilty about that:tongue_smilie:

I have daydreams about my dc each having perfect little SWR logs....but for now we review phonograms each day, adding a few every week. We spell something 3-4 days per week - it might be 5 words from the new section and 2 review. We use the phonograms and words for penmaship practice. I wrote the words on 3x5 cards and we do review activities with those as well.

I am staying at section D for another week and reviewing the daylights out of the first 80 words before we dive back in. For me it's a constant requirement to evaluate what ds understands and adjust...AAS is tempting....but I think I'll stick with SWR.

That's my experience. You've got to do what works for your family. I do NOT like that SWR is so guilt inducing.....your dc will not be forever harmed if SWR is shelved for a while or sold.:grouphug:

Yea! They just wrote to me and said the new spelling CDs in the upcoming catalog will be Vista compatible.

We have not used the CDs before. I would be starting my 9 year old daughter on them for this summer. She will be starting 4th grade work in the Fall. Should I start her out on the 3rd grade level? She hasn't had much spelling practice.

Thanks for any help!

She can work through my online spelling lessons and then you can see where she is. They're easy and fairly quick, it'll be a good overview of all the rules.

http://www.thephonicspage.org/On%20Spelling/spellinglessonsl.html