Menu

On a lighter note - "Brand Loyalty"

Do you buy any one thing simply out of loyalty to a brand?  

1. 1. Do you buy any one thing simply out of loyalty to a brand?

• Guilty as charged ::sheepish grin::
    • Not I, McFly. I buy based on good deals, not marketing tactics.
    • I have in the past, but am a brand loyalist in active recovery. The economy, ya know.
    • I tend to because I belong to a rewards program that makes it worth my while.

Land O' Lakes butter

Charmin

Tide

Andouille sausage, certain spices, bar-b-que sauce, coffee - I get shipped from Louisiana (in dry ice if necessary) because I just can't use anything else. I just can't.

Where do you order your Andouille sausage?

I got Andioulle from WF and made stuff with it, it was great my family loved it. I tried to save some money and I bought some from Costco but my family is whining that it wasn't as flavorful or good. :lol: I still have two-three batches worth of sausage. :glare:

Edited by Sis

What? No 'other'? I buy some brands because I've tried the competitors and they just don't measure up. But for most products, I'll buy whatever is cheapest, usually the store brand.

:iagree: If I have tried the other brands and dont like them, is it really saving money to buy what you hate?

I've come to the conclusion that my taste buds must have a deficit somewhere. Most of these items that people pay extra for (especially condiments - except salsa) I can't tell the difference between name brand and store brand, so I always go with what's cheapest. I literally have tried yellow mustard, mayo, and butter side by side and haven't been able to pick which one is which. I don't like ketchup, so that one doesn't count (for me). No one in my family can tell when I'm using one brand over another either.

Some other items (like hot dogs, sausage, and soup) I think one prefers a brand or another due to their specific seasonings, so those make sense to me when people prefer one or another. I think a lot of this is what one grows up with and what they think "_____" should taste like.

We're loyal to a few brands. We've tried other brands or generics of these, but they just weren't worth the money in our estimation.

Brawny paper towels

Smuckers grape jelly

Birkenstock sandals (me); Keen sandals (dh)

Tom's of Maine toothpaste (me)

I am going at this from the idea of this:

I walk into a store with the intent to buy an item. If they don't have 'my brand' I would leave without the item. Either purchasing at another store, or doing without (for a reasonable amout of time).

Yes, I am brand loyal to a few things.

Cascade

Tide

Coke (I will drink Pepsi in a restaurant but I won't buy it for the house)

Various grocery items.

Eddie Bauer t-shirts for me and dh. (at least 90% of my daytime wardrobe is EB LOL)

I'm loyal to a lot of stuff. If I buy it more than once, it must work or taste good so I don't feel "sheepish" about it.

:iagree:

I will admit though I'm a facial tissue snob and it has to be Kleenex Ultra 3 ply tissue, if it's anything less than 3 ply it just disintegrates so what's the point.

Whew! I get so self-conscious sometimes that I automatically assume I said something odd. My IRL friends will giggle at things I say, but not correct me because they think it's "cute" - which, maybe it was as a kid, but it sure isn't as an adult!

I like to think that Citibank is loyal to me ~ isn't that why they keep offering me credit cards? :lol:

I should not have posted that in a new reply anyway. :001_smile:

I forgot my other reason for brand loyalty... 3 out of 5 of our family members have food allergies. These are all allergies that are used as ingredients in many items from bread to sausages to juice. I could spend hours and hours reading labels, but it is much easier to figure out the "safe" brand for each item and just buy it each time.

I forgot my other reason for brand loyalty... 3 out of 5 of our family members have food allergies. These are all allergies that are used as ingredients in many items from bread to sausages to juice. I could spend hours and hours reading labels, but it is much easier to figure out the "safe" brand for each item and just buy it each time.

I am sure you know this, but do check each time the ingredients each time you buy an item, manufacturers can and do change ingredients on a regular basis. Especially things like the oil component, or basic fillers can change based on what what cheapest at the moment.

I am sure you know this, but do check each time the ingredients each time you buy an item, manufacturers can and do change ingredients on a regular basis. Especially things like the oil component, or basic fillers can change based on what what cheapest at the moment.

Ya, I know:001_smile:, but it does make it quicker to start with the brand we normally see as "safe" and only have to check to see if the ingredients have changed. If not, we are done and it is in the cart. If so, then I will read the other brand labels to find a replacement if there is one. It saves a lot of time doing this than to read every label for every brand for nearly all items. Unfortunately, our food allergies are all different from one another, so the list is long!

Ya, I know:001_smile:, but it does make it quicker to start with the brand we normally see as "safe" and only have to check to see if the ingredients have changed. If not, we are done and it is in the cart. If so, then I will read the other brand labels to find a replacement if there is one. It saves a lot of time doing this than to read every label for every brand for nearly all items. Unfortunately, our food allergies are all different from one another, so the list is long!

I do this too. And I get quite ticked when a company changes ingredients!

brands I am loyal to (because they either work the best for me or taste the best if a food):

Scott toilet paper (NOT the extra soft)

Puffs Plus facial tissue (NOT the kind with vicks)

Q-tips cotton swabs

Viva paper towels - the choose-a-size roll only

Mentadent toothpaste for me

Tom's of Maine toothpaste for the kids

HEB brand yogurt tastes FAR better than any of the others to me

Fiber One vanilla yogurt is the only kind my youngest will eat

7th Generation laundry detergent because of allergies

I hate change! I also hate when they discontinue a product! I had a many- year love affair with Pantene Curl Control Mousse. It was the only curl mousse that agreed with my hair and did what it was supposed to do! One day it was no longer available. I was crazed looking for it...lol...and it took me a year to find something as good (but not quite). I still miss it. Why would they stop making that? Whhhhhhhhhhy?

I like to think of myself as a saavy consumer, but truth of the matter is that even I am guilty of being brand loyal and of purchasing accordingly.

Are you loyal to any brands?

How long have you been loyal to this brand?

I'm all about the Charmin, baby. I don't even glance at other toilet papers, even though I've used different brands at the homes of other people (and even liked the different brands) ... coupon or not, Charmin is what's going into the cart. I didn't grow up using it, but it's what my husband was buying when we got married so I just kept buying it.

Dumb, really LOL.

It depends on the item.

Milk, eggs, refried beans, cheese, tortillas, produce, sugar/flour, pasta, condiments, butter, not so much.

Beer. Toilet paper. Ice cream. Yogurt. Chocolate syrup. Bread. Coffee. Cereal. Brand matters to me.

Toilet paper is a biggie. I can either use a little, nicely, or use a ton of the carppy stuff and still end up, well, you know.:ack2:

:iagree:

I will admit though I'm a facial tissue snob and it has to be Kleenex Ultra 3 ply tissue, if it's anything less than 3 ply it just disintegrates so what's the point.

I used to be a tissue snob. It had to be Kleenex, no lotion because that makes me sneeze. I'm okay with 2 ply, but I need soft. When my seasonal allergies act up, I use a lot of tissues. I need them to be soft.

Anyway, dh recently bought BJ's brand by mistake (Berkley and Jensen) and I discovered they're soft enough for me. Now I only buy Kleenex if a sale and/or coupon makes them cheaper than BJ's.

I'm a condiment snob. :)

Tide.

I've done everything from making my own laundry soap to Costco detergent to "enviro friendly" stuff to generic to other brands.

IMO, they all suck in comparison.

I don't know what kind of fairy dust they put in Tide that makes it clean so well, but man, it will get stuff out of clothes that nothing else will!

a

Right on!! :iagree: