Menu

What grade is traditional for learning multiplication?

I realize all curricula is different, but I'm wondering what is the traditional grade that kids learn multiplication? I'm not talking the beginning abstract concept, but when they actually start learning the different facts.

Thanks~

ETA: I learned my multiplication facts in 3rd grade and am surprised to see so many curricula introducing it earlier; that's where this question is stemming from. :)

On average, I would say, the concept of multiplication is introduced in 2nd grade and mastered in 3rd. I've been pleasantly surprised at how Singapore has logically blended in multiplication in 2nd grade with the 1, 2, 5 and 10 family early. She's also learned the 3 and 4 family, too. Third grade is the traditional grade for mastering the multiplication facts, but you are right, these concepts are coming earlier and earlier, it seems.

On average, I would say, the concept of multiplication is introduced in 2nd grade and mastered in 3rd.

:iagree: ABeka introduces the *concept* at the very end of the 1st grade book. They teach the 0, 1, 2, 3, 4, & 5 families (mult & division) in the 2nd grade book. Memorizing all (up through 12x12) is in the 3rd grade book.

At the private school I went to, we learned all the multiplication facts at the end of 2nd grade. When I switched to public school the next year I found that they spent all of 3rd grade working on multiplication facts.

Most of the programs I've seen introduce some basic multiplication in 1st grade. Things like:

2 x 3 = 3 + 3

2 x 9 = 9 + 9

They generally do just 1,2,5,10. The 5 and 10 facts are with nickels and dimes.

3rd is when it's tested on my state's test, but skip counting and some visual multiplication by repeated edition, especially 2s, 5s, and 10s is introduced in 1st and 2nd. I don't think the multiplication sign is used much before late 2nd or early 3rd, and I was a little surprised when the formal notation was introduced in 1B in Singapore Math.

It was definitely 3rd grade when I was a kid (early 80's). In the TERC Investigations series that is at our local public schools, it is mentioned as skip counting groups (without x symbol) in 1st and 2nd, then taught in 3rd grade and expected to be mastered in 4th.

Yes, I agree that they are teaching things earlier and earlier these days.

I learnt multiplication in 3rd and fractions in 4th. My dd will do multiplication in 1st and fractions in 2nd. Her school has already taught all parts of speech (except interjections) and subject-verb in the first three months of 1st grade!

I don't see the sense in cramming so much into the little minds; especially in a country where the majority of students learn English as a second language.

3rd usually.. all though Saxon teaches it at the VERY end of 2nd and into 3rd. We, personally didn't teach it until the VERY end of 3rd {as in two weeks before ending the school term} and then we started again when we regrouped. We started with the EASY facts first. 10, 1, 0, then we moved into 2, 5, & 11. I think 11's are easy because it's just 22 33 44, etc. ;) From there we'll work on the trickier ones. :D

I remember doing times tables in 3rd grade so we must have learned it then (OR ps in the early 80s). We could have started in 2nd but I doubt it.

Ps schools here don't learn until 3rd grade (using TERC) but we started with 2nd grade math using Singapore. I don't really count it in Singapore 1B because it's just a little conceptual intro. Mastery isn't required.