Menu

Royal signs of affection....

Yes, it does seem so strange. Especially their first public kiss on the balcony. To me, it seemed so forced....quick and awkward. I mean, I don't want them hanging all over each other or making out or anything. But he just seemed to kind of give her a quick side kiss. He didn't even face her or anything.

Yes, it does seem so strange. Especially their first public kiss on the balcony. To me, it seemed so forced....quick and awkward. I mean, I don't want them hanging all over each other or making out or anything. But he just seemed to kind of give her a quick side kiss. He didn't even face her or anything.

But he was blushing, it was very sweet.

I have always hated the kiss. It is so silly. You can tell that William is not comfortable with PDA. He was blushing like crazy. I felt such embarrassment for him. Just because he doesn't show it in public doesn't mean that is how it is behind closed doors. During the carriage ride, they both looked so happy and so comfortable with each other regardless of the lack of touching.

I don't know why but it's really bothering me that there was no kiss, no hand-holding in the carriage, etc. What a bummer it would be to be in such formality that you can't show affection. Perhaps that is an American thing?

Not sure if that is a factor, but dh always said he was constrained from any pda in his military uniform. He wore his dress uniform at our wedding, and we did sneak a kiss, but generally we didn't hold hands when he was in uniform.

They've been dating for a very long time and had their fair share of private moments. So I think they have a comfortableness about them that couples who have dated a much shorter period of time would not have. It isn't new to them but that doesn't mean that they don't enjoy it on their own time.

Plus, they have to appear mature, regal, ready to lead...too much PDA and well, it just isn't befitting. But, their eyes, etc. betray their emotions and they were clearly sweet on each other.

The wedding kiss is ridiculous. It's all so staged and awkward. But, what is absolutely worse is the ridiculous tradition in the U.S. of banging on the glasses at the reception in order to get the couple to kiss. Seriously, dh and I IGNORED this and it made people mad. But, I hated it...so uncouth. DD says she isn't having anything to do with that either at her own wedding.

The other thing that comes to mind is that this is a couple who will have virtually NO privacy. I don't blame them for being reserved.

Faith

Joan Lunden, who was on the Fox network, said that kissing in the church is not acceptable, that the first kiss is on the balcony . . . She said "everyone" thought that Charles *forgot* to kiss Diana at the conclusion of their wedding, but he didn't; the media misunderstood about kissing in the church not being approved protocol . . .

... But he just seemed to kind of give her a quick side kiss. He didn't even face her or anything.

I think I read somewhere that the balcony kiss had to be at a certain angle so that it would look right to the cameras and people observing--so I don't think that they could be spontaneous about it.

Would you feel comfortable kissing in front of a live audience of thousands and around 2 billion people watching? Oh, and your very proper Grandma (who happens to be the Queen of England) right there? Also, you know that the very positioning of every ounce of your body will be scrutinized. If the kiss is too short, people will say it is a bad omen. If it is too long, people will call it too much.

Personally, I thought the cute looks during the ceremony were much more romantic.

He looks so much like his mother, especially when he blushes and when he looks up and sidways with his eyes. It's so sad she is gone.

I "saw" Diana several times today in William. So many similar gestures, etc.

I watched Diana and Charles' wedding many years ago and as I watched today's wedding, I thought how sad it was Diana wasn't there for this momentous occasion.

You can tell that William is not comfortable with PDA. He was blushing like crazy. I felt such embarrassment for him. Just because he doesn't show it in public doesn't mean that is how it is behind closed doors. During the carriage ride, they both looked so happy and so comfortable with each other regardless of the lack of touching.

:iagree:He does have his Mother's shyness. I find it very touching.