Menu

selling eggs from chi?ckens? how much do you charge

Are they organic? That matters... (even if not certified... but you feed them organic) We also want chicken's eggs that are not fed soy and corn.

We are paying $3 a dozen right now, but earlier ... the same... were $5.00 a dozen. I compare good eggs to the difference between steak and hamburger :)

I charge $3/dozen and have no problem unloading them. My chickens are not organic, but they are happy - cage free (obviously), plenty of room to move around, and we supplement their feed with produce scraps and alfalfa. My neighbors like to bring their kids over to pet the chickens and feed them treats. The quality is so much better than eggs from chickens who sit in a cage indoors and only eat feed.

Our chickens are free-range on un-sprayed land, and are fed organic feed and non-organic kitchen scraps. I was buying from a gal (before) for $2.00 -- it's a GREAT price, but you can get free-range (non-organic) store eggs for that, so I charge $2.50. We may go up to $3.00 if people will pay it, and if we have extra. (We have 11 layers and we got the last seven during Lent -- during which time we don't eat eggs -- so I had a lot extra; with Pascha tomorrow, and egg consumption beginning again, I don't know how it will play out yet!)

Thank you, all!

We have been trading for them for a couple of years (our neighbors have 25 laying hens and don't eat eggs), but just this week got a dozen chicks of our own (because now I am spoiled and "can't" eat regular store eggs, LOL). So I might be counting the harvest before it's hatched, so to speak - we can eat a lot of eggs, that's for sure.

Thanks for the feedback - I'll check at our farmer's market! It's only in the late summer / fall up here - but I did hear rumors of a winter one, so I'll look into that, too.

I'll check at our farmer's market!

Here, they're quite a bit pricier at the farmer's market. $4.00 or so a dozen. When I was the customer, wanting to buy eggs, I knew to find people selling privately if I wanted to pay less ($2 or $2.50/dozen).

I pay $2.50/doz for organic, free-range eggs from my neighbor, which I think is a really good deal. He is obsessive about what he feeds them (no feed), and I really think that he should charge a bit more. He also sells me cracked (membranes still intact) eggs at half price, which I always get if he has them. I have seen CSAs and farmer's markets in my area charge $3.50-$4.50 per dozen.

Like for bringing them to home school co-op? Is there a going rate? $2/dozen?

(I looked on here but couldn't find my answer; sorry if it's already been asked.)

My local CSA just upped the price to $5/dozen for free range, certified organic. They are the best eggs I have ever tasted.

I am looking for a cheaper source of good eggs.

Are they considered "cage-free" if we keep them in a nice large coop + henhouse? If they ran wild here, they'd be hawk bait in no time. Or hen-sicles.

I think the idea with free range is that they have abundant free access to bugs and other food they find in grass and in other flora. Our coop is all dirt (due to them already clearing it out) and isn't portable, so they don't get much there.

Are they considered "cage-free" if we keep them in a nice large coop + henhouse? If they ran wild here, they'd be hawk bait in no time. Or hen-sicles.

I think that they would be "cage-free" but not "free range" (implies access outside to forage, etc.).

I think that they would be "cage-free" but not "free range" (implies access outside to forage, etc.).

I didn't think it that far through -- you're right. And cage free is good in that the chickens aren't stressed by being kept in a small cage.

My egg lady just went up to $5 a dozen, from $4. Not certified organic, or even informally organic as far as I know, but still yummy. Plus, she prays for her customers every Saturday--bonus! I have a friend who picks hers up from the chicken owner's backyard and pays $2.50 a dozen.

Terri

I used to pay a friend $4 a dozen for eggs from "happy hens". They had bright orange yolks, and looked very different from store bought eggs. I recently paid even more for eggs from the farmer's market. The yolks were very pale, just like store bought eggs. I wouldn't buy them again.

The going rate here is around $3 a dozen. Some charge a bit more, some a bit less. I just paid $4.50 for 18 eggs that are all jumbo. The seller weighs them and sorts them so all are the same size. A regulatr dozen is $3.50. Another seller we know only charges $1 a dozen but her eggs can be anything from very tiny bantam eggs to jumbo in the same carton. A friend of mine sold hers for $3 a dozen unless the buyer provided the carton, then she gave a $1 discount.

Another 'fee' here depends on if the eggs are delivered, to a co-op or farmer's market or where ever. Then they cost more than the eggs would if you drove to the house selling the same eggs.