Menu

What's so cool about C-rods?

mo2

No, you absolutely have to have the Cuisinaire rods for Miquon. I have the plastic connecting ones that I found at a school store. I also use them constantly in Singapore.

Miquon is a LOT of fun - just sayin'. We use it as a math lab. :)

Are they popular only because they are used with Miquon? Can any other manipulative be used with Miquon in place of C-rods? And there are so many variations---plastic, wooden, connecting, scored... :confused:

OK, you got my attention :D

On this forum think most people using C Rods are probably using them with Miquon, or with other programs and Miquon. I know Ellie (hi Ellie!) likes a program published by ETA/ Cuisenaire called "Mathematics Made Meaningful" that uses C Rods.

In truth C Rods could be be used with any program. For me the way Miquon uses C Rods is what makes it cool. But it is fun to invent your own uses too.

You could not really practically use something in place of the C Rods. They are integral to the program.

The "wood" vs "plastic" choice is purely a matter of personal taste. I happen to like the plastic over the wood (which surprises me as I tend to prefer "organic" things) but no big deal.

The scored connecting rods I think are an abomination. These are not what Georges Cuisenaire developed and are a recent innovation that undermines their value by having protruding "nibs" that interfer with estimations of length, and the rods were designed to be freely moving "kinetic" manipulatives, not things one locks together. Better stop...bad for my blood pressure :tongue_smilie:

Edited by Spy Car

Ok, here's another qustion. Is using this little booklet

http://nurturedbylove.blogspot.com/2008/12/cuisenaire-discovery-book.html

enough prep work with the rods before going into Miquon? (Talking about a 4yo here.) I have looked at Mathematics Made Meaningful at Ellie's suggestion, but I'm not sure I can swing the cost right now, when I can get just the rods on Amazon for $13.

On this forum think most people using C Rods are probably using them with Miquon, or with other programs and Miquon. I know Ellie (hi Ellie!) likes a program published by ETA/ Cuisenaire called "Mathematics Made Meaningful" that uses C Rods.

I don't dislike Miquon. I just think that MMM is a very nifty introduction to C-rods. It is because of MMM that I learned to like C-rods in the first place; Miquon did not appeal to me until I bought MMM and played with the rods and did the task cards. :001_smile:

The scored connecting rods I think are an abomination.

:iagree:

He designs elaborate mazes out of them for pillbug races. :tongue_smilie:

Wow, what a totally awesome use for C-rods. I need to tell my DD about this. She loves picking up pillbugs, but hasn't graduated to racing them yet. OTOH, maybe I shouldn't tell her. Then she'll want to bring the pillbugs into the house.

When teaching math, C-rods, along with the AL abacus, are my go-to resource for demonstrating a new concept. C-rods are great because

1) They are small enough to store easily.

2) They are cheap per rod.

3) They match base 10 blocks in scale.

4) They can be used to teach all four basic operations (+, -, *, /).

5) They can be used to teach fractions.

6) They don't hurt as much as Lego blocks when you step on them.

Of course, the best part of C-rods is that they are a great building toy.

As for what type of rods to get, I totally agree with SpyCar. Wood or plastic doesn't matter. But don't get notched or connecting rods. The connectors limit the types of designs you can make when playing with C-rods.

OK, you got my attention :D

The "wood" vs "plastic" choice is purely a matter of personal taste. I happen to like the plastic over the wood (which surprises me as I tend to prefer "organic" things) but no big deal.

May I ask why you prefer plastic? I tend to prefer wood too, so am curious.

Also, just as an aside, I noticed when searching for prices on rods, someone is selling Froebel's gift of wooden sticks and saying they can be used like c-rods. The connection of original kindy and c-rods was interesting to me. :001_smile:

No expert here, but I put in another vote for the plastic, non notched, non connecting rods.

I was all set to get the wood version, as I dislike plastic in general and make an effort to buy toys, containers, etc. that are not plastic.

However, I read here that the plastic is very high quality and not "plasticy" if that makes sense :tongue_smilie:... and actually nicer, smoother, and better made than the wood version.

That swayed me, and I don't regret my decision - they really are terrifically well made.

To be fair, I haven't actually handled the wood ones, though others that had often said they chose the plastic instead.

No expert here, but I put in another vote for the plastic, non notched, non connecting rods.

I was all set to get the wood version, as I dislike plastic in general and make an effort to buy toys, containers, etc. that are not plastic.

However, I read here that the plastic is very high quality and not "plasticy" if that makes sense :tongue_smilie:... and actually nicer, smoother, and better made than the wood version.

That swayed me, and I don't regret my decision - they really are terrifically well made.

To be fair, I haven't actually handled the wood ones, though others that had often said they chose the plastic instead.

Thanks for your input. I was curious why plastic was preferred.

No one else has mentioned what I feel is one of the greatest advantages of C-rods: they keep your toddler happy and occupied while you're doing math with a big kid. :D

But seriously: rods are phenomenal for developing a deep sense of how numbers relate to each other. A kid who plays with rods a lot really knows that two is half of four, because when you're building things it takes two red rods to equal a purple rod. Rods make abstract relations between numbers concrete.

We didn't only use rods for specific rod-based activities. Instead of drilling math facts with flash cards, I had my daughter use rods to model any math problem she couldn't figure out immediately. Sometimes that meant that a worksheet took a long time. But ultimately that experience of repeatedly "building" equations (with literal blocks!) turned her into a kid who is very, very good at taking numbers apart and putting them back together in different ways. That ability extended beyond math facts we'd already studied - she already knew new ones when we got to them.

May I ask why you prefer plastic? I tend to prefer wood too, so am curious.

The plastic ones seem more dense, and have the satisfying thwack one might expect of wood ones. I don't know what sort of wood they may have used in antique sets but the new ones are made of soft wood.

Were they maple or something like that I'd be singing a different tune.

It is not a big deal. The base 10 flats are also plastic so there is some unity when you mix them, and occasionally I have washed them in soapy water. I'm not sure how the wood ones would take to that. But either will work, I am "surprised" to prefer the plastic over the wood, but I do.

One downside of the plastic ones is the colors do seem to vary from batch to batch. Not a big deal unless you add a second set later. Then it might be annoying. A 155 set seems like a good size.

Bill

Edited by Spy Car

We've been using our C-rods along with Singapore's Challenging Word Problems 1. So far all of the problems have involved small enough numbers that we can use the rods like bar diagrams. My oldest three have been working these problems together, and the rods have been great. Once we get to harder problems, I suppose we'll have to just draw the diagrams.

I also agree that they are great for entertaining toddlers! My 2yo and 4yo LOVE playing with them while we are doing school.

But seriously: rods are phenomenal for developing a deep sense of how numbers relate to each other. A kid who plays with rods a lot really knows that two is half of four, because when you're building things it takes two red rods to equal a purple rod. Rods make abstract relations between numbers concrete.

We didn't only use rods for specific rod-based activities. Instead of drilling math facts with flash cards, I had my daughter use rods to model any math problem she couldn't figure out immediately. Sometimes that meant that a worksheet took a long time. But ultimately that experience of repeatedly "building" equations (with literal blocks!) turned her into a kid who is very, very good at taking numbers apart and putting them back together in different ways. That ability extended beyond math facts we'd already studied - she already knew new ones when we got to them.

We had essentially the same experience. This sort of play with different combinations of rods to make a given whole value was the same thing as we would come to do with "number bonds" in Singapore, but just in a "concrete" form that my child could do himself (without needing to write).

It feels like "play" and at the same time the lessons sink in the way that fun engaging activities tend to do.

Bill

A 155 set seems like a good size.

We started with the typical introductory student pack, but found out quickly that we needed more rods. Then I placed an order for a group set. I hope we now have enough. :D

The rods have been absolutely fantastic for CWP and showing the relationships of number bonds. We love our c-rods!

I don't dislike Miquon. I just think that MMM is a very nifty introduction to C-rods. It is because of MMM that I learned to like C-rods in the first place; Miquon did not appeal to me until I bought MMM and played with the rods and did the task cards. :001_smile:

OT but I' waiting for this (bought it used without the rods off Amazon) and largely based on yours and RR rec. Will post a review after using it!

I used to play with my aunt's old set of wooden rods and they weren't of uniform size. If the two rod and the three rod don't actually match correctly with the 5 rod, you kind of miss the lesson... Of course they were still very good for building pyramids :lol:

Rosie

We have several different types. I wanted to add a note of caution about the connecting ones (besides what has already been said). If your dc have any fine motor issues, snapping the rods together may be difficult. Then the parent has to do this... not a good situation. We like the plain old wooden ones.