Menu

I want to donate blood but I'm a chicken.....

I've always wanted to do it and in times I've had an opportunity, I've either been pregnant or nursing. I'm neither right now so I have no excuses. Plus, dh and I will be running in a 5k the first of June and if we donate blood our registration fee is waived. Soooo....tell me about it. I'm not the least bit worried about the pain (I've had four children:tongue_smilie: after all) but I'm worried about fainting or getting sick. I went to college with a gal that fainted in class about 30 minutes to an hour after giving blood. What's been your experience? How long will I feel funny?

OK, I can't help it. Usually I can refrain from commenting on thread names, but this time I can't resist . . .

"Hmmm, I didn't know that the Red Cross accepted blood from chickens."

Sorry, but I don't have any practical help. I am not eligible to give blood because of medical history.

I used to donate regularly with a group of friends from work. None of us ever had a problem. We'd sit and have a glass of juice and a few crackers when we were finished.

Just don't be in a hurry to leave. Enjoy the snack and take your time.

OK, I can't help it. Usually I can refrain from commenting on thread names, but this time I can't resist . . .

Sorry, but I don't have any practical help. I am not eligible to give blood because of medical history.

:lol: I knew that was coming!

I'm a fainter! :tongue_smilie:

I'm also a big chicken... but now I give blood regularly. When my dh was in the hospital three years ago he needed lots of blood (12 units? probably more), and I decided I would try to "pay it forward". I also have A negative blood, which is often in short supply--I'm on the Red Cross email list so they will send periodic reminders.

I was nervous the first time, but did lots of deep breathing and relaxation... I use the same routine I did for hypnobirthing, actually. I hate needles! I've found that if I get up too fast afterwards (like, move and sit at the little table with cookies and juice), I pass out after about 20 minutes.

Now I tell them that I'm a fainter, and ask if I can stay laying down for an additional 15 minutes or so after I am done donating, THEN I move to the juice and cookie table. I haven't had a problem since then. In general, I think it's pretty unusual that people faint afterwards...

I've never felt bad after giving blood and I should be one of those who does (underweight, low blood pressure, barely have enough iron, tendency to dehydration...) I think my secret is that I've never been too shy to take another couple cookies and a second glass of juice. ;)

The one time I did feel awful after the fact was my own sheer stupidity... I had no car (impoverished grad student) and although the blood drive was on campus, I rode my bike 2 miles home about three hours later, and I thought I was going to pass out!! Of course I was woozy enough that I wasn't really thinking straight, so it never occured to me that I was woozy BECAUSE I was riding my bike (duh!) and so I kept going all the way home... but that was the only time I've had a problem. So just don't go run your 5K on the same afternoon! :D

I'm a fainter! :tongue_smilie:

I'm also a big chicken... but now I give blood regularly.

Well, if you can do it, surely I can!:001_smile: I'm a little worried about the fainting though. I have nearly fainted several times because of pain (like with my c-section while at the hospital when they made me get up and shower!) and I do get light headed sometimes when I've been pulling weeds or something and get up too fast. So, I may just tell them to leave me in the chair a while!:lol:

I've never felt bad after giving blood and I should be one of those who does (underweight, low blood pressure, barely have enough iron, tendency to dehydration...) I think my secret is that I've never been too shy to take another couple cookies and a second glass of juice. ;)

The one time I did feel awful after the fact was my own sheer stupidity... I had no car (impoverished grad student) and although the blood drive was on campus, I rode my bike 2 miles home about three hours later, and I thought I was going to pass out!! Of course I was woozy enough that I wasn't really thinking straight, so it never occured to me that I was woozy BECAUSE I was riding my bike (duh!) and so I kept going all the way home... but that was the only time I've had a problem. So just don't go run your 5K on the same afternoon! :D

Good information! And no, the 5K is a couple weeks after that.

I've donated several times also. It's not as bad as it seems.

At college, where it was almost mandatory, about 4000 of us donated of 2-3 days and I never saw anyone pass out.

Fainting afterwards can be caused by low blood pressure. Drinking a bottle or two of water right BEFORE can help prevent it.

They'll have you lay there a bit afterwards, Then they want you to hang around and have a cookie and juice. It seemed like a measly little cookie wouldn't have any effect but it must have.

I vaguely remember them making us stay a half hour, which seemed interminable.

Guest Katia

I think everyone reacts differently, so you may just have to "do" it and see what happens.

I have no problems. My blood comes out fast and when I'm done I get right up and have a cookie and some juice and I'm on my way.

My sister, however, has blood that comes out very, very slowly. They have to put a pressure cuff on her arm and it still takes a lonnnggg time. She lays for awhile and then has some juice and cookies. She is usually a little weak for a short time afterward, but then fine.

We have both found that NOT looking at your arm or the needle while it is being inserted helps you to not feel woozy. Also, don't watch the blood coming out of your arm and into the container. Really, just pretend you are resting or visiting someone and DO NOT LOOK.

My dad, on the other hand, does fine while looking at the needle. It doesn't bother him. He watches the blood come out ok. However, no matter how long he lays there or how many cookies and juice he has, he ALWAYS passes out when he gets up. Always.

So......you just have to try it and see. I have given well over a gallon and still do when I can.

Just make sure you eat BEFORE you give blood.

I gave blood once in my life. I didn't faint, but they didn't take the full measure. One of the nurses saw me about to faint, and they stopped. I had given less than half what they should have taken. But I hadn't had breakfast yet. I was on a completely empty stomach.

At the end of the day, I was in the bus getting home, and a complete stranger gave me his seat when he saw how pale I was. Hmm, I guess I really was pale!

Turns out my blood wasn't usable, I had antibodies in it. And then they added a clause that you couldn't give blood if you were in the UK between 1982 and 1984 (or something like that) because of the tainted beef. Well, guess how I came to speak English??? So I'm on their black list now. Forever.

I was the Director of Blood Services for a North Carolina Chapter, and it was my job to organize the blood drives, volunteers, companies, etc. The day of the drive, I always had a load of manual work to do -- setting up tables and chairs, on my feet all day making sure the event went well. I tell you this because those were the days when I gave blood regularly. I worked in that job for five years and gave blood every eight weeks, without fail. Never had any issues at all. None.

Eat a good breakfast (lunch?), and be well hydrated going in. Take your time afterwards before you get up. I'm like you and get light headed very easily when I've been gardening or crouching for any reason. And, my blood pressure has always been on the low side. But, as I said before, donating was never an issue.

Also, bring along some peanut butter crackers and some juice/soda/water of your own. I think it helps to continue to consume these things even after you've left the "canteen" area.

Good for you!! You can do it.

I've never had a problem or felt funny. (Though my dh almost passed out & they had to use smelling salts on him.)

Personally, I love the 'meditation' time I get while laying there, lol. It's a great excuse to zone out & rest for 15 minutes or more.

I think it does help to be hydrated before going, so drink lots of water that day (both before & after). Gatorade might be good too.

And, hey, they usually have Nutter Butters at the cookie table -- it's worth all kinds of pain & agony (just kidding!!) to get a couple of those! :D And, hey, if you need to rest a bit longer, maybe you can snag an extra cookie to help fill the time! ;)

Good for you! And, thanks for the reminder. I really need to go donate again because it's been awhile since my last donation.

In reference to your thread title, and because I simply *MUST*...

I think blood banks only accept human blood. Your being a chicken would, unfortunately, disqualify you. :lol::lol::lol:

(Okay, so I'm bored. Gimme a break!! LOL)

Back to your regularly scheduled thread conversation....

Ah, I see I'm too late! :tongue_smilie:

I've tried eating a huge breakfast before donating but it doesn't help me. I can't figure out why my body behaves so badly. Every. single. time. I donate I get extremely nauseous, turn white as a ghost, pass out and end up having to stay FOREVER so they can watch me. I'm sick and lethargic for two days after. I can't figure out how to prevent that kind of a reaction. I don't have any issues with needles and have never fainted getting an IV but after 20 minutes of blood donating I'm out like a light.

My dh is a great bleeder. He's in and out within 15 minutes and fine the rest of the day. I don't get it.

I would love to donate more but physically it's too hard.

Thanks for thinking of donating blood. My ds, age 4, has already needed 21 blood transfusions. I would love to donate, but they always reject me because my iron is never high enough.

Wow! Bless his heart!

I've tried eating a huge breakfast before donating but it doesn't help me. I can't figure out why my body behaves so badly. Every. single. time. I donate I get extremely nauseous, turn white as a ghost, pass out and end up having to stay FOREVER so they can watch me. I'm sick and lethargic for two days after. I can't figure out how to prevent that kind of a reaction. I don't have any issues with needles and have never fainted getting an IV but after 20 minutes of blood donating I'm out like a light.

My dh is a great bleeder. He's in and out within 15 minutes and fine the rest of the day. I don't get it.

I would love to donate more but physically it's too hard.

Well, I guess I'll never know how I'll do until I try........ Thanks for sharing your story!

Agreeing with the other posters' advice to (1) arrive well-hydrated and already fed, (2) keep extra well-hydrated the rest of the day and the following day, (3) take your time about getting up and around after.

I would like to add: plan your day so that you don't go out shopping or working out or anything else after you donate. Plan your day so that you can go home and take it easy after. ALSO be aware that your workouts will suffer for a few day, BUT it is a temporary thing. Plan to take it easier on your workouts for a few days after.

How long will I feel funny?

You shouldn't "feel funny" at all. If you are feeling abnormal, you should be getting another drink and sitting or lying down until you feel normal again.

Good for you and praying for a positive experience for you,

Karen

I've tried 3 times to give blood. Needles don't bother me at all. I would LOVE to donate blood! BUT, I have tiny veins, I guess, and they collapse. One of those 3 times they couldn't even get one to start bleeding! The other two times they wiggled and waggled the needle around, and got it to start, but it'd stop after a little while. :( I soooo wish there was a way I could give! I think it's a shame that I can't give and so want to, and others with good veins don't think to give, or are afraid to! Not putting anyone down, just wishing I had better veins!

Others have said this, but I'll just repeat---hydration is important! Have a good breakfast, then hydrate, hydrate, hydrate until about an hour before your appointment. Then pee as much as you can so you don't have to go in the middle of your session!!! ;)

Jen this the 4th time I glanced at the title and read "Donate chicken blood" and thought HUH??:001_huh: or:lol: I need caffiene BAD.

Y'all are too funny! I knew that would generate some raised eyebrows!!

Ok, thanks again for the feedback. I have good veins (at least that's what they tell me when they draw blood), so I don't worry about that. I'm not afraid of needles, so that's a plus. But my blood pressure does tend to be a bit low and I battle low blood sugar some days. But, I'm taking my vitamins and will eat a good breakfast, drink lots of water, and will take it easy! I will be going between May 14-19 with my hubby to donate. Hopefully, I'll feel completely fine. I'll let y'all know!:001_smile:

I used to donate blood regularly. I have never had any problem. Do like everyone else mentioned and be sure to eat and drink before hand and then take your time afterwards. Our place has lots of snacks and drinks and encourages you to eat, drink, and relax before leaving.

Now I donate platelets instead because I have a high platelet count and am A+ so they don't need my blood as much as my platelets. Now that is a whole 'nother story - they hook me up to a machine that separates the platelets and puts the rest of my blood back in my arm. It's nearly a 2 hour process start to finish to give a double unit and you can do that every 2 weeks. It used to be a nice little break from the kids, but now I just get antsy sitting there that long without moving. But, they take very good care of me and I have my own tv to channel surf all I want during that time.

I hope you go give it a try. It really doesn't take long and it truly can save a life.