Menu

so, for those kids flying through math/reading...

jennynd

what is your plan for middle.high school?

I saw there are quite a few kids here are doing 5th, 6th grade math or reading at 7/8 years old or even younger. Just wondering what is your plan. I guess for reading, you can always keep reading and writing. But for math?? do u plan to have them attend college early ?? or ...???

Just curious.

I'm guessing my kid qualifies. He is doing Singapore 6 right now and I anticipate that he will finish in a few months. He will move into Jacobs Algebra in the fall. He is 9, so he is older than the kids you're talking about by a year but I'll share my plan anyway.

My plan is for him to to Jacobs Algebra over two years (grades 4-5). I will also have him do a review of arithmetic for at least the first year because he went so quickly though levels 4-6 that I want to be sure it sticks. Then I want him to do the AoPS counting/probability and number theory books, which should take another year (grade 6). Then he will do geometry (grade 7), Algebra II (grade 8), precalculus (grade 9), and calculus (grade 10). He will then either enter college early (all of his academics are or will be as accelerated as the math) or dual enroll.

This takes a kid who is four years ahead in 4th grade and slows him down so that he is only two years ahead in 7th grade. Of course, he may not take to the slowdown well and then I'll have to reevaluate.

But for math?? do u plan to have them attend college early ?? or ...???

We have the kids work on math at their own pace. There is always MORE math to study, no danger of "running out" of math - so accelerating math does not have to mean early college.

DD took algebra 1 in 7th. She is finishing geometry and half of algebra 2 the following year which we decided to label her Freshman year, so we essentially skipped 8th. She is doing solid high school level work, taking college physics and will graduate a year early.

DS is in 6th grade now, has been doing algebra 1 this school year and is currently solving quadratic equations. He will continue with algebra (we use AoPS, the book is way more than a single year of alg. 1) in the Fall. We will then continue in the math sequence. We do not have any plans for early college for him, we need to see about his maturity. I certainly see him taking some dual enrollment classes for high school.

Well, as you say, there are always more books to read. ;)

Math is a little tougher. Ds was nine (almost 10) when he started algebra 1 (using Dolciani). That went well, so he started a high school geometry class a year later. So far so good. Next we'll have algebra 2, then precalc/trig, then AP Calc AB. After that, we run out of classes he can take with the local math teacher we've been using a like quite a lot. I guess I'll look for online courses for AP Statistics, and then we'll be looking at finding college courses. There are endless other math topics -- the challenge is just finding someone to serve as a teacher or mentor at that level, until he's ready to go off to college full time. But it can be done.

Hi, I just posted a link to the free online courses in another thread but I am copying it here too.

I am considering it with my child when she is a little bit older.:)

Here is a great site with absolutely FREE on-line courses including Calculus! It is private and I don't know the owner:)

It has 2100 videos and 100 self-paced exercises.

http://www.khanacademy.org/

Their mission is to deliver a world-class education to anyone anywhere; they consider themselves as a free World Virtual School.

Here is the list of courses they are offering:

Algebra, Arithmetic, Biology, Banking and Money, Test Preparation, Chemistry, Brain teasers, Economics, Developmental Math, Calculus, Astronomy, Finance, Differential Equations, History, Linear Algebra, Geometry, Organic Chemistry, Physics, Pre-Algebra, Pre-calculus, Statistics, Trigonometry, Investing.

Edited by SneguochkaL

When ds was working on Saxon 3 in third grade I wondered where we'd be down the road. It's worked out beautifully! He does a lot of math (right now he's doing TT Geo and Life of Fred Geo @ 6th grade). He's studied prob & stats, problem solving, logic problems, tested for the Math Olympiad and other interesting things. I was not in a rush to get him through curric and it's worked out very well so far. Think breadth and depth, not just length of the subjects.

He may take classes at community college early, but it may not happen. We'll see.

The longer I homeschool and parent the more I realize all of that much of my thinking, planning, hoping, worrying was really a waste of time. When the time comes upon you, you usually know what to do. [i don't mean we shouldn't give these topics some thought, but don't waste your time planning it all out. You never know!]

HTH,

When ds was working on Saxon 3 in third grade I wondered where we'd be down the road. It's worked out beautifully! He does a lot of math (right now he's doing TT Geo and Life of Fred Geo @ 6th grade). He's studied prob & stats, problem solving, logic problems, tested for the Math Olympiad and other interesting things. I was not in a rush to get him through curric and it's worked out very well so far. Think breadth and depth, not just length of the subjects.

I agree with this statement. I have a similar approach in math. I could rush my child through SM Primary but I decided to think "bigger" and combine three absolutely different curriculum such as SM, MEP and Russian Peterson math(for elementary grades). My daughter studies a lot of math laws/rules and algebra in Russian math earlier than she would be studying in SM at the grade level. When she gets to it in SM she would already knows it. It usually takes her an hour to go through a Lesson/Chapter in SM and 2 hours to do 2-3 Lessons of Russian math. For SM IP it takes a little longer than an hour:)

We had been studying "Birds" for almost 2 weeks and finally are ready for our project-Bird Lap-N-Note book, so we take our time to have fun as you all do!

Edited by SneguochkaL

We have the kids work on math at their own pace. There is always MORE math to study, no danger of "running out" of math - so accelerating math does not have to mean early college.

Not only is there always more math, but there is SO much that is never touched on in the usual sequence, that accelerating doesn't have to be consistently "ahead". DS did Algebra extremely early, and my original plan was to alternate "progress" years with "fun" years... we did Algebra 1, Statistics (with an approved AP syllabus but no AP exam), Geometry, and Discrete Math (Art of Problem Solving Number Theory and Counting/Probability). Also, he has dabbled in computer programming on the side.

We were going to do Algebra 2 next year, but between what he needed for stats and what we've fit in with financial math and economics and various science needs... there's not a whole year of it left. So next year will be Problem Solving (AoPS again), and then probably their Intermediate Algebra (Algebra 3). At that point... maybe another round of discrete math before Precalculus? On one hand he's not as far "ahead" as he was when he started algebra 1, but on the other hand he has a lot more behind him than the regular curriculum... and he is absolutely rock solid in algebra, having applied it in a million different ways since he learned it.

My kids are not really that advanced in math.

My sixth grade age child is finishing up Singapore Primary 6.

My 3rd grade age child is using Primary 4A.

My preschool/kindergarten age child (fall birthday, so this is a tough call) is using Primary 1A.

I only plan a year or two in advance, but I read what you all are doing and take notes so I know what I want to do when I get there. :D

My kids are advanced readers -- especially the boys.

But there's more to academics than reading. Some kids read like crazy but work at grade level in history and science. It's harder to label a grade level in those subjects, though.

I expect, except for math, my sixth grade age child will be working at high school level subjects in the fall. (For some topics and skills he's at that level/beyond that level already.) He'll also be doing Algebra then (having started it here and there in addition to Singapore Math already). I don't really consider that high school level, though. So, I guess he'll be working a few years ahead, but that doesn't necessarily mean early graduation. There are always college-level and adult-level materials that can be used for science and history topics while high school aged. And, of course there's the dual enrollment idea. I can't really plan that far in advance. I guess we'll see what happens when we get there.

I don't have any idea with my younger ones yet. There's no need to estimate this far out anyway. Who knows WHAT will happen in the next 9+ years?! :001_smile:

My 9 year old is in 4th grade, officially, this year. He's finishing up Algebra 1.

Next year, we well begin Art of Problem solving following their recommended sequence. Because he's already done algebra, that would be Intro to Counting and Probability, Intro to Number Theory, Intro to Algebra, Intro to Geometry, Intermediate Algebra, Intermediate Counting and Probability, Precalculus, and Calculus which should take us through the end of high school.

Edited by joannqn

I expect when DD9 is in high school, she will be taking classes at the college under dual enrollment. For reading, I intend to just keep her moving along at her level, with more literature studies in broad genres (British, American Lit, pre-1850, non-Western Lit, etc).

Do you have limits on dual enrollment? Here, it seems to be reaching the age of 16 and having a decent ACT score, so I'm wondering what I'm going to do if DD needs college classes before that point? I'm not worried about math, so much-there is always more math and her father has a graduate degree in the field, and I can turn her loose in the college library to read and write for literature and history, (and in both cases, worry about college credit/placement when she gets there. I know that when I was in college, I was able to walk into the professor's office after the first class session, tell him I'd already done the material on the syllabus, take the final exam, and be done with it!) but I suspect she's going to want more science than we can easily do at home before that point, and her grandfather's lab is about a 16 hour drive.

I suspect she's going to want more science than we can easily do at home before that point, and her grandfather's lab is about a 16 hour drive.

I'm trying to do the same thing with science that we do with math... adding in interesting content along the way so we don't rush through the standard sequence. So after biology (last year) we did marine biology, and next year we're doing electronics rather than a full physics... But again, things get picked up, and we might end up covering more general physics than I intend to and having to accelerate again...

On the other hand, there really is plenty of content available, and almost limitless options for following ones own questions. DS puts a huge amount of effort into his science fair project each year, which serves both to beef up our regular work with more skills and more math and to give him an outlet for his particular interests. And he reads a lot of science news (New Scientist, HHMI Bulletin, a couple others) which adds in even more content. What worries me is what to do when his interests require a lab and better supervision than I can give. We really are going to need a mentor at that point. I can do the textbook stuff right through AP (and thankfully there are plenty of AP options), but I can't really provide a lab after a certain point. We'll probably reach that point with his independent (science fair) work before his regular coursework. I really think I probably have one or two more years at most. When we get to that point though... then we'll see what the options are.

Do you have limits on dual enrollment? Here, it seems to be reaching the age of 16 and having a decent ACT score, so I'm wondering what I'm going to do if DD needs college classes before that point?

We have friends who have sent 13 year olds to community college classes. The colleges don't generally advertise that they accept younger kids. Sometimes the families have to "fight" for it, but it can be done.

Khan Academy has some science videos, but you'll have to piecemeal stuff. Not sure if any of it is really in-depth enough for college level, though.

Someone here recently suggested http://www.ucopenaccess.org/ but I don't know too much about their science courses yet. They do have simulated labs you can do on-line.

MIT and Yale have free Open Courseware.

What about The Teaching Company videos?

Maybe a thread titled something like "How have you accessed college-level science before high school?" would help?

My oldest will be there for science/has been there for some science topics. He has joined a paleontological society and attends regular lectures given by professional scientists and college professors. He's attended fossil collections with similarly minded adults. He and some friends (kids with similar interests/obsessions) have spoken with paleontologists. There are always professional journals to read, too. (Figuring out how to subscribe to one or two is on my current to-do list.)

Edited by zaichiki

Do you have limits on dual enrollment? Here, it seems to be reaching the age of 16 and having a decent ACT score, so I'm wondering what I'm going to do if DD needs college classes before that point? I'm not worried about math, so much-there is always more math and her father has a graduate degree in the field, and I can turn her loose in the college library to read and write for literature and history, (and in both cases, worry about college credit/placement when she gets there. I know that when I was in college, I was able to walk into the professor's office after the first class session, tell him I'd already done the material on the syllabus, take the final exam, and be done with it!) but I suspect she's going to want more science than we can easily do at home before that point, and her grandfather's lab is about a 16 hour drive.

Though not advertised here, students in high school can attend a community college beginning their junior year for free (dual enrollment). Many students will graduate in the middle of May with an associate's degree from the community college and graduate at the end of May with their HS diploma.

The student can then transfer to a regular university without the need for any SAT, ACT, etc. test scores and graduate in another 2 years with a bachelor degree.

This is what I am thinking. right now science is all experiment, all fun and light reading. But at some point when physics and chemistry get serious. It gonna be heavy calculation also. especially for physics. I just not sure at this point. How I should sequence it. My recollection is physics in more or less 7th-8th grade when it started getting into heavy calculation which is also around the time algebra started. DS supposed to finish 6B this year or early next year. He just way to young to get into middle school math. (he will be an older 7 years old just just about to turn 8 at that point) And I am just thinking to slow him down in math and catch up science to same level. We are afterschooler and most attention is in math/reading.

Edited by jennynd