Menu

vitamins derived from real food and other supplements for mood swing?

I went to my dr. on Wednesday and the blood test showed nothing wrong with my thyroid, iron level, or D.

I have some hot flashes, which doesn't seem very bad now. I had very dark mood and was very irritable for three weeks. Now it is not too bad either.

I can think more clearly now and I am trying to pick what supplements to add to help my mood and mild hot flashes.

To start with, I now take regularly:

• Carlson's fish oil
  • D3 (but I just ran out and need to search for a new brand)
  • Cranberries pills for UTI prevention
  • Sometimes one a day women's multi vit. (I would like to have a better food based vit.)
  • I drink organic soy milk and eat organic tofu often

I would like to add or change to (Please help me with these)

• More natural food-extracted women's daily multi0vit.
  • B-complex
  • cal/mag/D
  • Black cohosh or St. John's wort for mood swing or something else?

Also, if you have suggestions for the mood swing supplements, please let me know. Thank you!

my dh takes Sam-e and St. Johns Wort for his mood swings. He has also used a product called Postive Thoughts http://www.vitacost.com/Source-Naturals-St-Johns-Positive-Thoughts

They both have worked well. He prefers the Positive Thoughts. I prefer the Sam-e. When he takes the Positive Thoughts 3x a day like he is supposed to it works incredibly well. He often forgets. The Sam-e he takes in the morning.

I went to my dr. on Wednesday and the blood test showed nothing wrong with my thyroid, iron level, or D.

I have some hot flashes, which doesn't seem very bad now. I had very dark mood and was very irritable for three weeks. Now it is not too bad either.

I can think more clearly now and I am trying to pick what supplements to add to help my mood and mild hot flashes.

To start with, I now take regularly:

• Carlson's fish oil

• D3 (but I just ran out and need to search for a new brand)

• Cranberries pills for UTI prevention

• Sometimes one a day women's multi vit. (I would like to have a better food based vit.)

• I drink organic soy milk and eat organic tofu often

I would like to add or change to (Please help me with these)

• More natural food-extracted women's daily multi0vit.

• B-complex

• cal/mag/D

• Black cohosh or St. John's wort for mood swing or something else?

Also, if you have suggestions for the mood swing supplements, please let me know. Thank you!

My thyroid was "normal" too, but I have PCOS and they are sometimes linked, so I started taking "Thyroid Energy" by NOW Foods (brand of supplements) and WOW! I am losing weight, w/o doing anything else different, I have more energy and my moods are better.

I use NOW Foods Brand for ALL my supplements. They were recommended by my holistic nutritionist b/c they use high quality ingredients, almost no allergens and NO (bad) preservatives or fillers. Plus, they are pretty cheap! I get them off of iHerb.com or Amazon.

* for a multi I take the EcoGreen Multi-Vitamin (lots of greens/algae/etc)

* the Calcium/Magnesium Capsule

* Cinnamon (blood sugar)

* D3

* and I keep Ginger on hand, if I think I'll be doing something that will cause motion sickness

http://www.iherb.com/Now-Foods-Thyroid-Energy-Thyroid-Support-90-Vcaps/843?at=0

http://www.iherb.com/Now-Foods-Eco-Green-Multi-Iron-Free-180-Vcaps/559?at=0

http://www.iherb.com/Now-Foods-Calcium-Magnesium-240-Softgels/461?at=0

http://www.iherb.com/Now-Foods-Vitamin-D-3-2-000-IU-240-Softgels/16272?at=0

I've been told that One-A-Day looks good on the label, but the coating prevents most of the vitamins from actually being absorbed.

I don't know if it's even true, but it's what I've been told.

I don't trust most regular brands of vitamins. My holistic nutritionist asks that you bring in whatever supplements you are taking and she goes over each ingredient with you, to show how most of them are junk. For instance, I was taking Target brand stuff that had both Iron and Calcium in it. She said that first of all, unless you are anemic or pregnant you don't need to take iron, and second, taking Iron and Calcium together reduces the benefits of both of them; they cancel each other out, so to speak.

She recommended several brands, NOW Foods being the cheapest, and I order them on my own.

Also, I looked at my in-laws Centrum capsules a few months ago... they contained hydrogenated oils, sorbitol, aspartame, BHT and food dyes. Not exactly healthy.

Chiropractors can help stabilise moods.

(My hubby doesn't even believe in chiropractors but wants me to keep going for the "placebo effect" because last time I skipped an appointment I was AWEFULLLLLLL.)

Rosie

Rosie,

I am thinking of seeing an acupuncturist. Maybe a chiropractor can help too. I used to see one for my neck/back pain. She was amazing. She does nutrition, too.

I'd like to add that I felt so, so much better after getting rid of unfermented soy from my diet. I've also known many others who feel it is one of the best health decision they've made and saw noticeable benefit as a result. Here's a good article to get you started if you're interested.

http://www.mothering.com/food/whole-soy-story

Well, I'm not a doctor or a nutritionist, so you would need to do your own research, but some people with moodiness need to eliminate the cod liver oil temporarily while they start taking evening primrose oil. I've heard it recommended to take one or two EPO caps with supper daily, doubling amount a week before and during periods. Once that's going well - a month or two - add back in the cod liver oil for the Omega-3s, and keep taking the EPO with extra right before and during periods.

Another thing for moods is to watch the foods that are high in copper - chocolate, soy, carob. If you are already high in copper or low in zinc (often going together), your mood will be in the gutter, and those foods may make it worse. Likewise, I believe it's yellow #5 that can mess with copper/zinc levels, too.

B6 and B12 at pretty high levels can support moods, and I think B12 helps support zinc levels, too - I know one of them does.

Again, do your own research. It's late, and I may not be remembering this stuff properly. I hope you find the answers you need!

Another tip for mood swings is to make sure you are eating regularly and not eating sugar. A regular, stable blood sugar is important, as well as a healthy diet with lots of vegies.

Soy is a hot issue- do your research.

Exercise is mood stabilising. For me, walking in the fresh air does the trick, or yoga.

You might also find it useful to try one thing at a time so that you can tell what is and isnt working, when it comes to herbs.

Hot Flashes are periods of sudden intense heat, while flushes include the obvious flushing or redness. While they usually come and go for a year or two, some still have hot flashes for 10-15 years after menopause. Hot flashes and flushes can last for a few seconds or up to five minutes.

WHAT HELPS

HEALTHY EATING

Heat-producing foods can trigger hot flashes – limit fatty foods, sugars, caffeine, and very hot spicy foods

Cooling foods and plant estrogens help reduce hot flashes – fruits, vegetables, yogurt, goat cheese – these all cool the body

More salads

Fewer cooked foods

Drink plenty of water throughout the day

When dietary changes are not enough, it’s time to look into supplements.

SUPPLEMENTS

Hesperidin is found in the skin of lemons and oranges. It works like a miracle for many women, eliminating hot flashes and night sweats.

Take 500 mg morning and night. You most likely will need that much to reduce hot flashes.

Although hesperidin is a bioflavonoid, you can’t get enough of it in bioflavonoid supplements. Look for a hot flash formula with high amounts of hesperidin.

PHYTOESTROGENS are plant-based estrogens that curb hot flashes, weight gain, and other complaints.

Look for a multiple-herb formula with

• Chaste-tree berry (normalizes hormone secretion and helps balance estrogen and progesterone) – 40 mg daily – quite frankly, this is the only one I think I will try from this list of phytoestrogens. The rest are of concern to me, since there is a likelihood that they may raise breast estrogen levels.

• Black cohosh

• Red clover

• American ginseng

• Milk thistle

Nothing has been found to be nearly as effective for menopause symptoms as Black Cohosh. Many Black Cohosh supplements are less potent than they appear. You need to get 540 mg daily. Studies have shown that in sufficient doses, this herb can help alleviate menopausal symptoms in as little as 4 weeks. Puritan’s Pride Black Cohosh 540 mg

One study found that women who took Black Cohosh were 47 percent less likely to have breast cancer.

Black cohosh can reduce hot flashes by 85%. 40 mg daily of Remifemin

Black cohosh treats hot flashes, night sweats, headaches, vaginal dryness, and anxiety

OVERALL RELIEF

Daily Balance Harmony

Enzymatic Therapy AM/PM Menopause Formula

Gaia Herbs Phyto-Estrogen

NOW Foods Menopause Support

Solgar Herbal Female Complex

SAGE has been used since ancient times to stop hot flashes and helps reduce all kinds of excessive perspiration. Sage tea and sage tincture helps hot flashes and night sweats.

1-3 cups of sage tea can reduce your hot flashes OR take the herb as a supplement

Sage tea is the safest and least expensive solution. Allow the tea to cool down for best results. Drink 1-3 cups a day in between meals. You can increase this amount, if you like, to 4-5 cups a day. You may need much less. In fact, just 1 serving of sage tea can cool down some women within two hours and last for a day or more.

Tinctures or capsules containing sage are good options if you don’t want to drink the tea.

WILD HOPS reduces hot flashes and night sweats, anxiety, and helps muscles relax. Wild hops can help you sleep

30-120 mg at bedtime

Has to be dried to have any medicinal effect

Often used in combination w/valerian and lemon balm.

SAFFRON promotes calmness and reduces irritability and hot flashes

1 pinch stirred into hot, cooked food daily

Some have said that the combination of Chinese Bitters (taken before breakfast) and Fem-Mate (taken at bedtime) is very helpful for alleviating hot flashes. In one case, a 60 year old woman was on HRT for 10 years and was told to stop her HRT immediately because of her vaginal bleeding. When she stopped, her hot flashes became unbearable, and she tried all manner of remedies to no avail. When she took Chinese Bitters and Fem-Mate, her hot flashes became manageable in only 4 days, although it took 3-4 months before her hot flashes disappeared.

This remedy works because Chinese Bitters decongests and cleanses the liver while Fem-Mate stimulates natural progesterone and estrogen production by stimulating the adrenals. For some women, whose hot flashes are relatively mild, Chinese Bitters alone is enough to eliminate their hot flashes.

In some cases, the complete program of liver and gallbladder cleansing may be necessary because HRT is known to cause gallstones. Daily morning exercises such as stretching and deep breathing can also help by "activating" the liver in the morning.

OTHER TIPS

Sleep on right side. Sleeping on right side prompts relaxation and decreases blood pressure – which can help calm you during hormone-related symptoms such as hot flashes.

Soak your feet in cold water to prevent hot flashes during night

MOOD ISSUES

SUPPLEMENTS

I always believe in a healthy diet first and foremost. Supplements come after. I've tried and taken most of these. Not all. I don't take supplements every single day. I usually like to give myself a break 1-2 days a week. I also take a break from certain supplements for a month or so at a time. The body, otherwise, becomes overly efficient and the supplement, I find, is not as effective, as when I take a break from it.

A good fish oil – such as Carlson’s - A recent large study found that rates of depression were nearly 30% lower in people who regularly take fish oil, probably because of the healthy omega -3 fatty acids it contains.

Vitamin D3 – Mood swings, depression, and bipolar disorders are all linked to a Vitamin D deficiency. Vitamin D helps normalize brain function. Take 2000-5000 IU daily.

If you're under 50, take at least 2,000 IU per day.

If you're 50 or over, take at least 5,000 IU per day of vitamin D3.

Always take your vitamin D with a fat-containing meal to ensure absorption.

Your need for vitamin D3 is affected by age, skin color, and the severity of any deficiency

St. John’s Wort – 300-1000 mg

To raise serotonin levels

Help relieve chronic insomnia

Help relieve mild depression – especially if you’re healthy and not taking other medications.

Because this herb can sensitize the skin to sunlight, take it in the evening after the sun has set.

Magnesium – depression and anxiety are symptoms of a magnesium deficiency

Magnesium is crucial for the synthesis of serotonin and other neurotransmitters. Magnesium is usually lacking in those with depression. In fact, one study reported “rapid recovery from major depression” after treatment with magnesium, and found that magnesium helped relieve the anxiety and insomnia often associated with depression.

Many women have an undiagnosed magnesium deficiency ,which can contribute to anxiety.

Some say to take equal amounts of calcium and magnesium.

For most people on a healthy diet, 500 mg of each supplement should be enough.

If you have symptoms of magnesium deficiency (and most of us do!) – if you’re feeling edgy, have muscle cramps, suffer insomnia, crave chocolate, or notice increased urination, adjust your calcium-magnesium ratio, so that you’re taking at least as much magnesium or—ideally—twice as much magnesium as calcium.

400-1200 mg daily of Magnesium is helpful but use according to bowel tolerance. Your body knows how much magnesium you can tolerate from bowel tolerance – take as much magnesium as your bowels can tolerate

If you can, add 100 mg of magnesium to your nutritional supplements, and increase it by 100 mg every few days until your stools are soft, but not uncomfortably loose.

Take in divided doses and with meals to ensure optimal absorption – preferably more at night

Some say to not take magnesium with calcium - I think that that is preferable.

Calcium, magnesium, and many other minerals are best absorbed when they are bound to an acidic carrier such as citrate, aspartate, picolinate, or amino acid chelate. Minerals need an acidic base to break down and get used.

The most absorbable forms are magnesium citrate, glycinate taurate, or aspartate, although magnesium bound to Kreb cycle chelates (malate, succinate, fumarate) are also good.

Avoid magnesium carbonate, oxide, sulfate, and gluconate. They are poorly absorbed (and the cheapest and most common forms found in supplements).

Side effects from too much magnesium include diarrhea, which can be avoided if you switch to magnesium glycinate.

People with kidney disease or severe heart disease should take magnesium only under a doctor's supervision.

GABA CALM – take sublingually before bedtime or a few hours before sleeping

100-500 mg daily

Try to avoid eating or drinking anything for 20 minutes before and after taking this

YOU LACK GABA IF YOU:

• Frequently experience back pain or muscle tension

• Worry excessively

• Often feel nervous, jumpy, or anxious

• Sleep problems

• Stress-related physical symptoms: headaches, IBS, and muscle aches

• Elevated cortisol levels which can lead to belly fat

• Are an emotional eater

GABA is the brain’s natural calming agent.

• Helps de-stress

• Relaxes muscles

• Suppresses cravings and helps curb emotional eating.

• Anti-depressant

• Helpful for day-to-day anxiety

5-HTP

Helps with:

• Sleep problems – quality and duration

• Emotional eating and evening cravings – helps suppress appetite

• Anxiety and depression as it increases serotonin levels

• Melatonin production

• Serotonin production

Best if taken sublingually - opening the capsule and pouring the contents on your tongue.

Try to avoid eating or drinking anything for 20 minutes before and after taking it.

No more than about 3 capsules a day – can safely take up to 400 mg per day – although most need less.

Loses its efficacy if taken every single day – best if you take breaks – sometimes alternating days – and sometimes take a break for an entire month or so

It may take 1-2 weeks to notice any effects and up to 6 weeks to notice the full benefits.

Be cautious about taking this if you’re on anti-depressants

L-TRYPTOPHAN may help mitigate insomnia and depression by boosting serotonin and melatonin levels in the brain

May help cure night-time waking

500-1000 mg before bed

Vitamin B12 converts amino acids to those all-important brain transmitters, serotonin and norephinephrine. Vitamin B12 helps the body make SAM-e as well, a compound that’s involved in optimal neurotransmitter production and function. Low levels of SAM-e can lead to depression.

The sublingual or time-release form is the best absorbed

Doses of 500-1000 mcg are the usual recommendation

Oral vitamin B12 isn't well absorbed; you may need up to 1 or 2 mg daily.

Ask your doctor about B12 shots or doses you can take under the tongue.

Zinc is required by the brain in order to produce GABA, a compound that eases anxiety and irritability.

25-50 mg per day

DO NOT TAKE MORE THAN 100 mg

Use zinc gluconate lozenges or OptiZinc for best absorption

According to a study, women who took a daily zinc supplement in addition to a multivitamin for 10 weeks experienced significantly less anger and depression than those who took only a multivitamin.

If you’re depressed AND suffer from chronic pain from conditions like arthritis, take SAM-E. This eases depression and acts as an anti-inflammatory to relieve aches. Avoid SAM-E if you have bipolar disease. Start with 1600 mg a day, then cut back.

Valerian is used in Chinese medicine for insomnia. This herb promotes relaxation and curbs anxiety.

Take 400 to 800 mg in divided doses throughout the day.

The Bach Flower Remedies represent a form of psychotherapy in a bottle, a noninvasive modality to address negative emotional states like:

• Anxiety

• Depression

• Impatience

A Welsh homeopath, Dr. Edward Bach recognized in the 1920s that, if herbs have healing powers, so must flowers. Over many years, he experimented with numerous flowers and trees to create a total of 38 plant-based Bach Flower Remedies.

Bach Rescue Remedy is used in many emergency rooms to help alleviate trauma.

Centuary is useful for boundary issues, especially for people who give too much of themselves

Impatiens is good for irritability and short tempers.

Oak is for those determined types who struggle on (despite setbacks) through adversity or illness.

Rock water can ease tension for those who tend to be hard on themselves.

Rhodiola rosea is an excellent addition to any stress-reduction program – along with exercise, daily meditation, prayer, more rest, a healthy diet, and specific supplements

• Increases energy

• Alleviates depression

• Helps with weight loss

• Relieves mental and physical fatigue

• Stimulates brain chemical production – norepinephrine, dopamine, and serotonin – which all help you think and feel better

• Improves sleep

• Improves mental alertness

• Improves short-term memory

• Enhances weight loss

The amount of Rhodiola you need to take is not critical.

High or low amounts of this her both work.

Not all Rhodiola supplements are equally effective.

Any Rhodiola you buy should be standardized extract and say Rhodiola roesa on the label.

Nature’s Way

Planetary Formulas

HerbPharm

NUTRITION

Amino acids help the body produce neurotransmitters that affect your mood. The body uses the amino acid L-tryptophan to make serotonin and the amino acid L-tyrosine to make norephinephrine. Amino acids are found in turkey, cheese, chicken, fish, beans, almonds, avocados, bananas, and pumpkins seeds.

3-4 weekly servings of oily fish such as salmon, tuna, or mackerel can lift symptoms of depression – even in cases where drugs like Prozac don’t help. Such fish are rich in DHA, a fatty acid that is also a major component of brain tissue. When DHA levels are high, brain biochemistry works optimally, leading to greater output of feel-good neurotransmitters like dopamine.

Mediterranean Diet helps reduce the risk of depression – these diets fight inflammation – diets that are high in omega-3 fats from chia seeds, fish oil, and flaxseed oil as well as gamma linolenic acid (GLA) from black currant seed, borage, and evening primrose oils provides anti-inflammatory prostaglandins. These good fats ease depression and offer a whole ton of other benefits

Eating a diet high in processed food increases the risk of depression, research suggests.

Too much sugar intake can lead to chronic depression.

What is more, people who ate plenty of vegetables, fruit and fish actually had a lower risk of depression.

They split the participants into two types of diet - those who ate a diet largely based on whole foods, which includes lots of fruit, vegetables and fish, and those who ate a mainly processed food diet, such as sweetened desserts, fried food, processed meat, refined grains and high-fat dairy products.

After accounting for factors such as gender, age, education, physical activity, smoking habits and chronic diseases, they found a significant difference in future depression risk with the different diets.

Those who ate the most whole foods had a 26% lower risk of future depression than those who at the least whole foods.

By contrast people with a diet high in processed food had a 58% higher risk of depression than those who ate very few processed foods.

Reviewing beverage consumption in this country, Harvard researchers also link sugary drinks—everything from soft drinks, sweetened teas and lemonade, fruitades, energy drinks, and even vitamin waters—to inflammation.

Sugar is the underlying cause of so many disorders—including depression.

One of the main determinants of “silent” inflammations in our bodies that promote the development of cancer is the balance between omega-6 fatty acids (which favor inflammation) and omega-3 fatty acids (which reduce it).

Since World War II, the farm animals that give us meat, butter, milk, cheese, cream and eggs are no longer nourished with grass and leaves; they are fed soy and maize instead. Grass is very rich in omega-3s, but maize contains none at all, and soy products contain very little. The animal products that we eat now are thus highly unbalanced, with far too many omega-6s and very few omega-3s.

On average, people in the West have 10 to 15 times more omega-6s in our bodies than omega-3s. This is one of the reasons why all the diseases and conditions that are nourished by inflammation – including depression - are in constant progression in Western countries.

The omega-6s and omega-3s in our bodies come exclusively from our diet. They thus reflect exactly what we eat and drink. To lower the omega ratio, all we need to do is reduce dietary sources of inflammation-promoting omega-6s: red meat, especially if it is produced by industrial farming techniques and if it does not carry an “omega-3” label; dairy products; eggs not marked “omega-3”; sunflower oil, corn oil, safflower oil, and soybean oil. Use olive oil, rapeseed oil, or a mixture of the two. We should also increase all sources of omega-3s: oily fish twice a week (sardines, anchovies, mackerel, salmon); omega-3 eggs; nuts; lambs’-ear salad; green vegetables; linseed or flaxseed oil and flax seeds. Some people (and I’m one of them) also take omega-3 supplements (roughly 1g or 0.03 oz of the EPA-DHA combination) to make sure they have a regular and constant absorption of omega-3s even when they are traveling and find it difficult to maintain a healthy daily diet.

Folate may be a major factor in forming SAM-e and the neurotransmitters serotonin and norephinephrine. Research shows that people who suffer from depression almost always have low levels of folate, which causes symptoms of anxiety and in severe cases, schizophrenic behavior. Find Folate in: turkey, lentils, pinto beans, chickpeas, spinach, black beans, asparagus, collard greens, and turnip greens.

Magnesium is crucial for the synthesis of serotonin and other neurotransmitters. Magnesium is usually lacking in those with depression. In fact, one study reported “rapid recovery from major depression” after treatment with magnesium, and found that magnesium helped relieve the anxiety and insomnia often associated with depression.

Many women have an undiagnosed magnesium deficiency ,which can contribute to anxiety. Get 400-500 mg daily.

Magnesium is found in oat bran, halibut, spinach, barley, pumpkinseeds, beans, and artichokes.

Zinc is required by the brain in order to produce GABA, a compound that eases anxiety and irritability.

Zinc is found in oysters, crab, turkey, lentils, barley, yogurt, and pumpkinseeds.

Look for foods that are high in the amino acid tryptophan. This amino acid may help mitigate insomnia and depression by boosting serotonin and melatonin levels in the brain.

Whole grains – Fiber-rich foods such as brown rice, oats, and quinoa

Sunflower Seeds

Fruit – Bananas, mangoes, figs, and dates

Tuna, turkey, whole grain crackers, yogurt

EXERCISE is key

Do something that you enjoy - even if you don't, once you get into a routine (say after 6 weeks, you'll see amazing benefits). Whatever you choose, it will help. I’m convinced that if my dad didn't exercise, he would never be so upbeat. That and prayer. When my Dad gets frustrated or upset, he goes out for a walk or a swim. I'm not as disciplined as he is. But he's an example to me. Exercise will calm you down, lift your mood and help with depression.

People who exercise for 30 minutes 3 times a week see mood improvements similar to those who take the antidepressant Zoloft.

Many yoga poses and the regular practice of yoga help relieve symptoms of depression and anxiety.

Take a walk for well-being – walking or just being outdoors helps greatly with depression and anxiety

OTHER TIPS

Vanilla is calming and boosts serotonin levels in the brain. Just like comfort food, vanilla can bring us back to a place of security and peace. Burn a vanilla-scented candle or inhale the aroma of vanilla beans.

Lavender contains linalool, a substance that blocks the stress response in the body and relaxes the muscles.

Perfect if you have neck and shoulder pains

Add 6 drops of lavender essential oil to your moisturizing lotion.

SUPPLEMENT TIPS OVERALL - based on my reading. I could be wrong.

WHAT I LIKE TO AVOID

Many “one-a-day” formulas - Theragram-M, Geritol, Centrum usually:

• Have such long ingredient lists (a red flag for me!) with synthetic coloring, waxes, and other undesirable ingredients – this is my main reason for avoiding them

• Are too low in potency – most one-a-day formulas cannot possibly give you high enough potencies of nutrients. There simply isn’t enough room to pack a lot of nutrients into a single capsule. Do be aware that a good multivitamin and mineral formula requires that you take it in larger quantities – from 3-6 capsules daily. This may seem like a lot, but it’s not. When it comes to herbs, and often minerals and vitamins, most of the time, the quantity and potency is extremely low, that it really isn’t going to do anything much at all. As Peela once mentioned, it's best to research all the brands and see which has the highest dosage, or even double or triple the dose. I have to admit that due to financial constraints, I seldom do this these days, unless I'm focusing on a specific health concern. I do believe that nutrition (healthy diet) is first and foremost.

• Are often poorly absorbed

Any supplement (usually they are minerals) that has the word “oxide”. The oxide form of any is the cheapest source of that mineral. Most of the cheaper brands include oxide to cut down on costs, but these brands do our bodies no good, since they’re barely absorbed.

Any supplement that has vitamin E as dl-alpha – dl-alpha is synthetic and junk.

Any supplement that has calcium carbonate – ditto, as above

Most brands at Walmart, Costco, etc. But this doesn’t always apply. Some brands at these larger stores are fine. You'll have to do your own research to know. Just because the supplement is sold at Walmart or Costco does not that it’s necessarily bad. You need to look at the ingredients.

are the same.

WHAT I PREFER

Bio-available when possible – these are best absorbed. Many bio-available forms are patented and identified on the label.

Anything with a short ingredient list – no soybean oil, no sugar, starches, colorings, soy, etc. – the less things in it, the better! With vitacost, you can click on side bar buttons to say that you're looking for something without soy, etc.

MY ABSOLUTE FAVORITE – IF I COULD

If I lived in the U.S., I would try my utmost to get as much as I could from Standard Process - which you have to buy from an alternative health care practitioner. Standard Process is wonderful. But they don't have every single supplement. They're very specialized.

ALKALIZING MULTI VITAMINS AND MINERAL SUPPLEMENTS

Most of us have systems that are overly acidic. Working towards a system that is balanced or more alkaline is the key to overall health. These supplements are said to be very good for alkalizing the body.

http://www.auntiegs.com/index.php

12 Systems Synergistic Multiple – one tablet per meal

• Vita Lea (Shaklee) – one tablet with each meal

• Bio Strath – One teaspoon with each meal or tablet as indicated – I saw it on vitacost

AFTER THAT

I prefer searching for good brands on vitacost or amazon – reading reviews, and looking at brands. The following are brands that I like and trust:

Carlson’s

Nature’s Way

Twin Labs

KAL

Enzymatic Therapy

Green Magma – for green, alkalizing drink

Solgar

Source Naturals

Rainbow Light

Solaray

NOW

Swanson

UniKey (do a google search)

New Chapter Organics

Brands I've heard good things about, but have not yet tried, and don’t yet know enough about:

Aerobic Life Products

Blue-Green Algae

Country Life

Darwin’s

Gaia Herbs

Health from the Sun

Jarrow

Kyo-Green

Member’s Mark

Metagenics

Nature’s Plus

Nature’s Sunshine

Nordic Naturals

Planetary Formulas

Pure Encapsulations

Puritan’s Pride

Shaklee

Trace Minerals Research

Vitamin World

Zone Perfect

B COMPLEX

Any good multivitamin or B Complex needs to have at least 10 mg of B vitamins. It's a red flag if the B vitamins are at very low levels. When lower than 10 mg, they’re insignificant and unhelpful.

VITAMIN C

Best if taken as Ester-C – this is a patented form of bio-available vitamin C

CALCIUM

I think there is a very big difference not only in the brand but the type of calcium you use.

The major types of calcium are: Carbonate, Citrate and Bone Meal.

1. Calcium carbonate (also found in coral calcium) is the hardest calcium compound for the human body to break down and absorb. You’ll find it in a lot of supplements because it’s inexpensive. The Carbonate (like Tums) is basically like taking chalk board chalk. It may alkalize your body, but it does almost nothing for your bones.

2. Calcium citrate is slightly better than calcium carbonate, since minerals need an acidic base to break down and get used. It is a little bit more bio-available, but still not the best.

3. Bone Meal is the best source for bones and has one of the highest bio-availabilities. Just make sure it's from a clean source, and the animals it came from weren't given hormones or antibiotics. KAL from New Zealand is good and I get it from vitacost or amazon.

4. You can also get an herbal calcium source that is also bio-available and easily absorbed.

COPPER

Try to avoid multivitamins with copper. Research has shown that even tiny traces of copper from water pipes can lead to heart disease, as well as diabetes and Alzheimer’s. Over time, even small traces of copper can contribute to the production of excess damaging oxidant radicals. The study recommended that anyone over 50 should avoid supplements containing copper (and iron – more info on iron below). A good form of zinc will lower copper levels in the body. Copper overload can also cause:

Depresssion

Fatigue

Food Cravings

Poor Liver Function

Weight Gain

Yeast Infections

VITAMIN D3

Vitamin D helps everything—your bones, your immunity, your emotional well-being, your mind; it even helps prevent cancer.

If you're under 50, take at least 2,000 IU per day.

If you're 50 or over, take at least 5,000 IU per day of vitamin D3.

Always take your vitamin D with a fat-containing meal to ensure absorption.

Your need for vitamin D3 is affected by age, skin color, and the severity of any deficiency

VITAMIN E

If any multi or Vitamin E supplement has dl-alpha, rather than d-alpha, I stay away from it. D-alpha is the good and natural kind. Dl-alpha is synthetic and not processed by the body.

FISH OIL

Make sure to get a good, high-quality fish oil – such as Carlsons’s. You want to avoid fish oil that may come from polluted sources or that may be high in mercury. Other good brands are Nordic Naturals, Enzymatic Therapy, and Metagenics.

Fish Oil is good for your heart partially because it decreases blood clotting and reduces blood pressure. If you have high blood pressure, high triglycerides, or other signs of heart disease, 3-5 grams may be helpful. Talk with your doctor or pharmacist if you’re taking medications to make sure there are no negative interactions. Fish oils thin the blood just like aspirin, gingko biloba, and garlic. You don’t want to thin your blood so much that it causes bleeding.

For all others, 1 gram (1,000 mg) is fine.

Stop taking fish oil and any EPA supplements 2 weeks before surgery – as well as possibly avoiding a fish dinner the night before any surgery.

Do not take fish oils if you are on any blood thinner.

GLUCOSAMINE

The cheaper glucosamine hydrochloride form is totally useless. Only glucosamine sulfate has been scientifically shown to have any efficacy whatsoever. But, glucosamine HCI is really, really cheap

IRON

I prefer to avoid iron in supplements. I always take iron-free multis and try to get my iron from natural sources instead. If you want natural iron alternatives, there are some supplements. I can share info on that.

Stored iron normally increases as we age, and accumulates in the body after menopause and may increase women’s risk for arthritis, cancer, heart disease, and stroke.

Iron supplements may be used by tumors to promote their growth. Since it oxidizes, if you take too much supplemental iron, it can lead to cancer.

If you have had cancer, or if there is a high incidence of cancer in your family, you may want to take a formula without added iron unless a blood test determines that you are iron-deficient, in which case, natural sources may be far superior.

Iron supplements should also be avoided if you have arthritis.

MAGNESIUM

Magnesium is a key mineral that many are deficient in.

Anything that is tight, irritable, crampy, and stiff -- whether it is a body part or an even a mood -- is a sign of magnesium deficiency.

Magnesium and many other minerals are best absorbed when they are bound to an acidic carrier such as citrate, aspartate, picolinate, or amino acid chelate. The most absorbable forms are magnesium citrate, glycinate taurate, or aspartate, although magnesium bound to Kreb cycle chelates (malate, succinate, fumarate) are also good.

Avoid magnesium carbonate, oxide, sulfate, and gluconate. They are poorly absorbed (and the cheapest and most common forms found in supplements). If I see these in a multi, I avoid it.

Side effects from too much magnesium include diarrhea, which can be avoided if you switch to magnesium glycinate.

People with kidney disease or severe heart disease should take magnesium only under a doctor's supervision.

MUSHROOM EXTRACT

Look for a formula that combines the immune-boosting and anticancer properties of reishi mushrooms, the blood-sugar balancing and cancer-fighting properties of the maitake mushrooms, and the cholesterol-lowering abilities of the shiitakes. Fungi Perfecti is very good, but expensive, however.

PROBIOTIC

Any probiotic you take should contain at least 1-5 billion colony-forming units (CFUs).

Good probiotics include:

Dr. Ohhira’s Probiotics 12 PLUS is known to be the one of the strongest, most effective probiotics

Udo's Choice Adult's Probiotic – 12-36 billion CFUs

New Chapter Organics Probiotic All-Flora – 8 billion CFUs

Jarrow Formulas Enhanced Probiotic System, Jarro-Dophilus EPS – 5-20 billion CFUs

Puritan's Pride Probiotic Acidophilus – 3-9 billion CFUs

Jarrow Formulas femdophilus – 5-10 billion CFUs

Advocare Probiotic Restore – 2-4 Billion CFUs

Kyo-Dophilus – 3 billion CFUs

Nature’s Way Probifia Pearls

Enzymatic Therapy Acidophilus Pearls

ZINC

L-OptiZinc is a patented form of bio-available zinc

THE MOST IMPORTANT SUPPLEMENTS – in my personal order of preference – this may vary for each person, of course! – these are my top if $ is a concern

• Fish Oil
  • Vitamin D3
  • Magnesium
  • Probiotic
  • Green Magma (or other high-quality green drink – if you don’t juice veggies regularly) and/or Capra Mineral Whey – these are important, very, very important to help balance our body’s pH – a healthy pH is essential for overall health. My husband refuses to touch the Mineral Whey. I love it, however. Since I juice veggies often, we don’t need Green Magma very much. On days that I have little time for juicing, we take the Green Magma.
  • Mushroom Extract
  • A good multivitamin/mineral formula

Overall, most of us are far more deficient in minerals than we are in vitamins. When budget is a concern, as it for most of us, focus much more on minerals and a healthy diet, than lots and lots of vitamins.

TIPS ON TAKING THEM

My naturopath friends have always told me is that it's good to take 2 days off most or all of your supplements every week, preferably any two days that are back-to-back. So, if you need to take them on weekends. Fine. You could try skipping them on any other 2 days of the week.

Another thing I do, based on what I have read and played around with - is take a break from some supplements for an entire month. Not all. Just some. They work so much better for me, when I get back on them - 5-HTP, Melatonin, even probiotics, whatever you want or think that your body could do well to take a break from in order to be more effective. The body sometimes becomes overly efficient and not challenged by supplements. That’s why taking a break and going back on them, in my opinion and experience, helps them to become much more effective.

My thyroid was "normal" too, but I have PCOS and they are sometimes linked, so I started taking "Thyroid Energy" by NOW Foods (brand of supplements) and WOW! I am losing weight, w/o doing anything else different, I have more energy and my moods are better.

I use NOW Foods Brand for ALL my supplements. They were recommended by my holistic nutritionist b/c they use high quality ingredients, almost no allergens and NO (bad) preservatives or fillers. Plus, they are pretty cheap! I get them off of iHerb.com or Amazon.

* for a multi I take the EcoGreen Multi-Vitamin (lots of greens/algae/etc)

* the Calcium/Magnesium Capsule

* Cinnamon (blood sugar)

* D3

* and I keep Ginger on hand, if I think I'll be doing something that will cause motion sickness

http://www.iherb.com/Now-Foods-Thyroid-Energy-Thyroid-Support-90-Vcaps/843?at=0

http://www.iherb.com/Now-Foods-Eco-Green-Multi-Iron-Free-180-Vcaps/559?at=0

http://www.iherb.com/Now-Foods-Calcium-Magnesium-240-Softgels/461?at=0

http://www.iherb.com/Now-Foods-Vitamin-D-3-2-000-IU-240-Softgels/16272?at=0

Meixue and anyone who knows about this,

My TSH is 0.89 and the normal range is 0.4 - 5. Two and a half years ago it was 1.55. So does it mean I am low normal? I don't want to take supplement if I don't need to. But it does look low in the range. So should I take some supplement as listed above?