Menu

dd in 5th will NOT read assigned books without great stuggle...help!

Kfamily

Hi! I have tried many different ideas and talked with many people about this problem but I cannot seem to figure this out. This has been going on for a full school year. I assigned my daughter at the beginning of this school year-5th-On the Banks of Plum Creek. We had read Little House in the Big Wood and on the Prairie in 4th. She read them out loud to me. I thought this would be a great place to start. She would read some days, cry and stay on the same page other days and even on occasion lied about reading on other days. This is not her character.

Today it is worse. She really stresses out about this. I must get her over this hump because to me it is very important that she read some books for school independently.

She did finish On the Banks of Plum Creek and later Caddie Woodlawn.

These are all the things I have considered to help us work this out:

1. I have asked if her eyes bother her and will get them checked this summer anyway although she says this is not the problem.

2. I have considered reading problems but A. she reads books she likes with no difficulty and B. We have had the Woodcock Johnson done with her two school years in a row for evaluations and both years she tested above grade level (for 3rd she tested in 5th and for 4th she tested in 8th).

3. She says she likes to read out loud better--particularily when she finds the book boring (which seems to be the case with all books on my list). She is a highly auditory learner and even relies on memory too much. This shows up in piano. She truly is not a hard worker and does not have good internal motivation in things she finds difficult, tedious and/or boring. Interestingly, she can read silently to herself if she is highly motivated or interested.

4. I have given her many options to finish books I want her to read. I have been flexible with how much she reads, when she reads and what she reads. My last option allowed her to choose from a list of books.

5. I have with many teary-eyed talks (her tears) gathered little information except she finds reading these books boring and she worrries she has not read them well or correctly. I think she reads the words but has trouble slipping into that storie's "world". She is distractable as well. I suggested snuggling in her room with her book and bed and quiet but she doesn't like this either.

6. I have concluded this:

I have "babied' her too long and she needs to work harder and through this.

and/or

she could be using dramatics at this point to get out of the hard work of this.

I am at this point trying to reteach her and remind her that she can read well. We are reading Prince Caspian together. I have her read slowly (she is beginning to read too quickly) and with expression. After a paragraph or two I then have her read (again slowly and with excitement in her head) the next two paragraphs and then narrate to me what she just read. I think her confidence has slipped a bit and I hope to build that up again. I don't know what else to do.

Also, she reads aloud beautifully and also narrates beautifully. I have always been more confident of her than she has.

I am sorry this is sooo long. Thank you, anyone, who reads and offers advice. I am really trying to settle this with her so that we can move on.

Thanks again.

I'm not an expert ;) but from reading your post it doesn't sound like she struggles with the actual reading but rather motivation and enjoying what she is reading.

You mentioned that you gave her a list and let her pick. I think that is very fair. Is it possible that she is just trying to get her way with you? I don't mean that harshly towards you or her. :001_smile:

I guess if it were me I would:

1. make sure she understood that she must read and it isn't an option but that I am willing to work with her on what she reads. I would treat it like any other school work that doesn't get finished. There would be a specific consequence.

2. If she likes to read outloud could she do that to herself maybe in her room? Perhaps reading it and hearing it helps with her comprehension? I know that my son will read outloud to himself sometimes. Would she read outloud into a tape recorder and then listen to it later (kind of like making her own book on tape).

3. Could you both read the book on your own and then meet each day or once a week and just the two of you discuss what you have read? She might find it more interesting if she knows you are interested.

4. My son is also an auditory learner and loves to have me read outloud or listen to books on cd. We do alot of this and I have seen it help with his independent reading.

hth

Hopefully others will post and give you some ideas as well.

Kerri

Dd(11) is similar although I haven't pushed her as far. She is also very auditory. She rarely reads a book I give her. I read aloud a lot still and will break off in the middle of a very interesting part, so she wants to read more of it. Dh reads with her before bed and they usually take turns reading a page. She has a hard time "getting into" a book. We frequently get up to half way before she's interested.

Yet she can read the old Nancy Drews and Famous Fives perfectly. In fact, she has practically memorized them. I think she's interested from the beginning because it is a series she likes and knows what to expect. They're dependable.

When we took her out of school, in January of last year (4th), she hated reading. It was hard and no fun. She didn't want to read anything.

I know she can read, so that is not the issue. It is more important to me that she grow up loving reading, than that she read a particular book now. Eventually, she'll read it on her own. For now, if I want the material covered, I'll read it to her. She's still willing to snuggle on the couch and, since she's my youngest, I'm getting the most of that while I still can.

Hmm. That's a hard one . I have a 10 year old daughter too . I have found that she really is more an auditory learner . She really is . I have found reading out loud solves this problem for us at the moment .

BUT I've done it in a way that she also has to read to me too . I'll read a chapter , then she reads one to me of my chosing . But most of the book I do read. I don't think at all its a matter of being spoiled. She just may pick books that she think she may like but gets to reading them and finds she really didn't like them after all .

How about letting her chose a few books of her own chosing for the year and not just pick out ones that you've suggested . I know my 10yr old is really into the Magic Tree House books . Not great literature of course but it keeps her interest and keeps her reading at the moment . The stories I think are great and interesting aren't always on the top 10 of my daughter's list . Children are much different now a days that's for sure .

I figure it this way . They are still young . I believe they will pick up some interest eventually . And if they don't as a child I'm sure one day they will be at a book store or library and find that same book they thought that was boring at the age of 10 and reread it again . I know I have done this and I'm 32 :>) So to me its not the end of the world if they don't read this particular story to themselves and really get into it . They still have the rest of their lives to enjoy these great stories . At this stage exposure is the main goal :>)

Guest macmomma7

Hi

You are doing a great job!!!!!! That you are even asking for help shows how much you love your daughter.

I have the same kind of daughter. She is a bit younger but the same struggles that you stated above.

I have seen that she NEEDS to read aloud. It is just how she is made. I also had problems with not reading assigned books and lying about reading etc . . . . While praying about this, It came to me that she is a people person. If I am just sitting next to her, or even doing something in the same room, saying I am listening, she does much better. I think, for my daughter, the attention and immediate praise helps in the confidence factor.

Books on tape help greatly. Then my daughter already knows the story line and it is easier for her to "get" the story.

I struggle with the balance between independent work and me always there. But someone reminded me that she will not alway want me there and the goal is to love learning and reading. That helped me find her nich.

Good luck

Is there a way she can choose substitutes for her assigned reading? Are you using a box curriculum or set list? Since she has no problem with free time reading, maybe this is a control issue? Maybe having her become more involved in what she is reading might help.

she choose 4 times from a list of 12 books and each time gave up on them. I had an assortment of classics, historical fiction, fantasy and adventure books. She read 2 of the royal diary books-Elizabeth I and Anastasia, the Penderwicks, 2 of the Emily Windsnap books and many of the American Mysteries. She also likes to read fairy tales and has read much of Grimm's and Anderson's fairy tales. I tried to get her to read Little house books, Chronicles of Narnia, Edith Nesbit books, and some historical fiction to go along with our history. She has a bad habit of reading part of a book and not finishing it. All the books I listed above she did finish. (The ones I listed that she read on her own). I would like her to take on some of her own literature and history reading over time as she moves into middle school.

I don't know...should I let it go for awhile or should I require more from her. I have tried to lower the reading level for her. I wanted her to read a Florence Nightingale biography that was just barely 5th grade (plenty of 4th graders could read it) and she was bored and would not without great drama! LOL! We have plenty of that.

Thanks for all the advice from everyone so far.

Maybe try and mix in some audio bks? I have a friend whose daughter just does not like to read (reads slowly). She has made sure that the listen to lots of great bks on audio. Recently she has begun to read more, she's 14. Not sure it was a direct result but I doubt it hurt. :grouphug:

I'm not an expert ;) but from reading your post it doesn't sound like she struggles with the actual reading but rather motivation and enjoying what she is reading.

I guess if it were me I would:

1. make sure she understood that she must read and it isn't an option but that I am willing to work with her on what she reads. I would treat it like any other school work that doesn't get finished. There would be a specific consequence.

Kerri

One thing I liked about Sonlight was that there was a specific amount that needed to be read each day, and questions to answer (so you could be sure it *was* read!).

We haven't done Sonlight this year, but I still assign a specified amount to be read each day, and I pre-read and jot down a few questions for each section in the back of the book. Yes, sometimes I assign too much, and sometimes too little. Thankfully all my plans are in pencil!

But, having a specific amount gives my ds a goal, and lets him know I have a definite expectation. I do *not* expect him to enjoy it, but I do expect "this much" to be done. And, because I know I have really tried my best to not be a complete ogre in my expectations, I am less likely to cave in when life seems to be deteriorating rapidly and we both become a bit emotional. :tongue_smilie:

I have also found that sometimes my ds doesn't quite "get" everything. But even so, he still gets the gist of it. So, I try to use my questions simply as discussion starters and not phrase them as right-or-wrong remembering details questions. If he can discuss ANYTHING about the book, then I can tell that, yes, he's done it.

So, my ds chooses to sulk and complain about reading sometimes, so what? He's 10. It's the same as sulking and complaining about anything else - the more I pay attention to it, the worse he sulks and complains. If I can just detach myself from what is truly his problem and say, "Well, it has to be done before xyz," without letting it affect *my* emotional well-being, then that usually solves it. (note the *if* - this is an area of myself I constantly have to monitor!)

Best wishes!

Rhonda

My dd reads a lot, but she will not read any Little House on the Prarie books. She started the Chronicles of Narnia and stopped. She is not interested in books that seem like a must read. But she loves reading about the Salem Witch Trials. She loves reading about communism and real ideas. Maybe she would prefer more non-fiction.

However, if you've tried and tried all of these suggestions and she still complains, I'd assign a certain number of pages and just not worry about it.

Good Luck :)

Sometimes people just react with resistance because they feel pressured. My 3rd grader is not an enthusiastic reader of chapter books, either. I assign a section from a classroom reader, similar to the http://www.lcbcbooks.com/elson_readers.htm Elson books, that he reads every day, but not chapter books right now. I give him plenty of down time to read or draw or play. He collects Calvin and Hobbes books and reads these at bedtime, when eating his breakfast, or just hanging around the house.

In your shoes, I think I would find some straighforward reading program and allow her to pick her own free reading. After a year, or so, try again with directed chapter book reading.

Just wanted to add, I would take her to the library or bookstore and let her pick her own reading. As long as it wasn't really, really inappropriate I'd let her choose. I wouldn't pressure her to choose anything, just give her the chance once in a while.

You know . I forgot to mention . We just started lapbooking . And let me tell you this has really motivated my 10 year old even more . I know there is a free lapbook that you can create on Little House in the Big Woods .

I am finding that lapbooking is a great way to motivate my 10yr old to read more too . She gets excited because she's reading the material then she can use it to do the creative stuff with lapbooking . I know that I never gave lapbooking a thought in my years of homeschooling . Decided to finally give it a try and found that I LOVE it , its relaxing and my daughters are learning a ton and not even realizing it either . Maybe if you assign a chapter then give her a project to do that pertains to the book she may be more motiviated to read the whole book :>)

This is another thought too :>)

It's pretty hard to force someone to like something, but it's not hard to make them hate it. Is the problem that you want her to have knowledge of the classics or is it that she won't do as she's told? I see no value in making someone read novels they don't like. I don't even see how it matters whether she finishes a book or not. If she was getting something useful out of it, she'd finish. If she's getting nothing out of it, it's a waste of her time.

It's certainly good when kids do as they're told, but I don't think her reading is a good battleground for you. If you want her to be exposed to the classics, continue with read-alouds or audio books. My hubby and I have enjoyed listening to some audio books through Project Gutenberg of things that bored us silly when we tried the hard copy, and I am not a fussy reader! You don't need to force her to read things in order to see if she can read, you know she can already. I would make a rule that if she gives up on a book, she must tell you why it was boring and what she would make the author do to make it interesting if she had been the editor. Don't make her re-write it. That would be a punishment. She doesn't deserve to be punished for having an opinion.

:)

Rosie

I second the audio books. I have my ds (4th grade) follow along while listening to the audio book. At any given time, he is reading / listening to one audio book and reading one other book independently. We have been doing this all year and he is starting to enjoy reading (yeah!!!)

Another strategy that has helped eliminate the complaining is to schedule the reading and make it consistent. For example. right now he is reading Prince Caspian independently and is scheduled to read 1 chapter a day. He knows what to expect and I really believe the "routine" helps. We used to have him read for "20 minutes" -- and sometimes nothing got done. If I assign 1 chapter and it takes an hour ... because he is not focused or because he is complaining ... well, who's fault is that??

HTH!!

I have a list of acceptable books and my childrwen pick from them. Frankly, as much as I am a HUGE Little House fan..the books tend to be rather boring for a child to read. If you really want her to get the content, have her listen to them on tape. If it is just about the reading practice, then let her pick the book. Once I started this method of letting DD pick the books, her reading score on the ITBS went up over 20 percentile points in 1 year.

I want to add that the list of acceptable books is very loose. I basically bought a lot of books from reading lists such as Sonlight that I thought looked good and put them on the shelves. She has lots to chose from as well as a bunch from the library. It is just important that she reads quality books (most really are good books) and not twaddle (like Junie B Jones and such).

I just wanted to add my experience, in case it applies here. My ds, age 9, doesn't like to read either. He didn't have any problem learning to read. When I assign him some reading he can do it and seems to comprehend well. I finally decided to get a vision evaluation - more than just an eyesight test. I found a developmental optometrist in our area and found out that he had convergence and binocularity issues. We are doing vision therapy and his reading has gotten easier for him. He never had the 'classic' symptoms that would show a vision issue. So, I would encourage you to get a vision evaluation. It is more expensive and not covered by (our) insurance, but if your child has a problem it is better to get it fixed now.

I agree with Rosie. I would evaluate exactly what you want her to learn from reading the books you've chosen. I've never "learned to love" something just because I was forced to do it. As a matter of fact, the opposite is true. I hated the novels picked for me when I was in school. Do you want her to read the books so that she'll be a better person? Or, is it because someone said that all kids should read these books? They're novels, and there are millions of good novels, and she'll have a lifetime to read them if they appeal to her.

I do assign non-fiction books to my kids, and I evaluate their understanding of the material. I have placed lots of good literature on the shelves, and I encourage my kids to read them. But, I don't force them to read fiction. My 11yodd reads voraciously, but she's not the least bit interested in the Little House books. She was devouring Little Women recently, until the girls "grew up". Meg got married, and Jo was older, and my dd just didn't "relate to them anymore" (dd's words). That's fine. I told her to write herself a note, and place it in the book. Later, when she picks it up again, she'll remember why she stopped reading it. She'll probably relate to the "older girls" when she gets older herself.

If you simply want her to be exposed to the stories, I agree with the audiobook suggestion, or read to her. I would really foster her love of reading, and let her choose the books she wants to read (even if it's just Junie B.). She'll tire of them sooner or later on her own.

Incidentally, my 10yods's reading improved vastly when I encouraged him to read Junie B. books outloud. He loved them! Now, he reads everything with the same exuberance and inflection that he learned by listening to, and reading Junie B. Jones books. I love many of the stories. I even told one as a children's story in church, and had everyone (including all the kids) on the edge of their seats. It taught a great lesson.

I believe that you want your dd to love reading. I don't believe that forcing her to read books that don't interest her will foster that love. :)

I am in the same boat. My DD doesn't enjoy reading books that I require her to read. What I started doing was shared reeding. I'll read a page and then she'll read a page. I've noticed she'll want to read more this way too. She actually enjoys the story this way too. If I make her read it on her own she is so uninterested in the book and story line and like your DD says it's boring (she's 10 btw). But the very same book she will love when we share the reading. My aime is to associate the books and stories with the good memories of us snuggled in bed reading together and hope that that will make her love reading and that eventually she will read on her own. We might read together (like at the same time) but her with her book and me with mine.

HTH!:grouphug:

I've noticed that we are all trying to guess what will motivate your child. There are things that will motivate her, but I suspect they are not the things we are guessing. I would try to find out the core of what motivates her, what she really loves, and then PAIR it with reading.

Example:

If your child loves attention from you, you could simply sit by her and rub her back while she reads. Or,

If your child loves toosie pops, or any other kind of food, offer it only while she reads.

We all love certain things only because they were paired with other pleasant events in childhood. Example: One may love bayberry candles because it reminds them of Christmas. The effect of pairing a loved thing with another somewhat unloved thing is that eventuallly the unloved thing becomes rewarding in and of itself. As a child one may not have cared what so ever about bayberry candles or the smell of a Christmas tree. But after pairing it is loved on its own.

The key to making this work is consistency, but more importantly, finding what your child loves.

3. She says she likes to read out loud better--particularily when she finds the book boring (which seems to be the case with all books on my list). She is a highly auditory learner and even relies on memory too much. This shows up in piano. She truly is not a hard worker and does not have good internal motivation in things she finds difficult, tedious and/or boring. Interestingly, she can read silently to herself if she is highly motivated or interested.

This is definitely me. If I'm reading something that I find boring or complicated, I must read it aloud, sometimes 2 and 3 times, to really understand and absorb it. This is how I studied in high school and in college. I'm no worse for the wear, so this might be something you need to let her do.

she could be using dramatics at this point to get out of the hard work of this.

Does she act that dramatic with any other schoolwork? To be honest, I'd carry on like a nut if someone forced me to read the Little House books. I hated them when I was younger and I still hate them. Blech! :tongue_smilie:

Also, she reads aloud beautifully and also narrates beautifully. I have always been more confident of her than she has.

I am proud to say that reading aloud is one of my best talents. My kids and even my DH absolutely love when I read aloud because they say I sound like a story teller. I honestly believe I've learned that skill from all the reading aloud I've done.

This is not me trying to make dd read Little House books. On the Banks of Plum Creek was our first attempt. I didn't mention that she read the first two out loud to me and LOVED them. So that is why I thought Plum Creek would be a good first independent read. I have long since let those books go. The books I mentioned are only examples. The point to this questions is how can I encourage her to read books for school. I think at the 6th grade level she should be able to read books on her own for school. Although teachers don't often choose books we don't like at some point we MUST read things we find boring simply to meet the requirements of the world. Often books we find boring are what we need to read in order to become educated. I cannot imagine my dd obtaining much of an education at all if I simply said "Well, dear, I realize this is boring so you don't have to read this." Her list of what she finds boring is rather tall these days. LOL! I simply wanted my daughter to take on some of her own reading for lessons. I never had any problem with any book she choose for pure pleasure reading. Just wanted to settle that. Thank you everyone for taking the time to offer advice and support. I do appreciate it.

The point to this questions is how can I encourage her to read books for school. I think at the 6th grade level she should be able to read books on her own for school.

I read through most posts, and skimmed some, so this may have been put out there. I have a very voracious reader who will sit all day to read, as long as he gets to pick out the book. He has two genres he absolutely loves, adventure and scie/fi. But, I want him to read in other genres too. I have introduced many many books I thought are worthy to read such as Treasure Island, Little Men, The Last of the Mohicans, etc. Surely, books a boy would love! Not! He is not a self motivator and NEEDS something to motivate him. You know what works? Money! Normally, he will not get paid for books that are "school work." He is working through the SL7 readers and doesn't get money for those. But, in his free reading time, if I pick a book for him to read that is a classic or one I think is worthy, he gets a penny a page. He has read quite a few books this way! And, at the end of many of the books he'll say "Oh, that was actually interesting!"

I also try to have discussions with him about these books too. He likes to talk, so if I can inadverdently get him talking about the book and get him excited about the story, that usually helps.

Another thought, if your daughter likes to read aloud, why doesn't she just read aloud, whether you are sitting down listening or not?

If she isn't a self motivator, you may want to try and give her a motivation, something that she enjoys, to motivate her with. Although I wish my son would read the books I want him to read on his own, sometimes it just isn't going to happen without outside motivation!

This is also the kid who reads Tales of Ancient Egypt, The Iilliad, Beowulf, and Canterbury Tales on his own. Since he is a voracious reader, I try to throw in other works for their literary value instead of him reading twaddle. We do allow twaddle, but he doesn't get paid for those choices.

Just another thought! Good luck! :)

When one of my DD's were that age and through junior high she never seemed to finish a book. This frustrated me many times. It also extended to her own writing. She would start off really strong and then the ending would seem rushed. Well, everything turned out fine. She is now 21 and an avid reader with a strong command of the the written language. Even by the time she was in high school she seemed to do well and would get A's in English and history. I think one reason was that she had the ability and when she found the interest she could ably her abilities.

Try not to worry too much :).

I have 3 other DD's and they each are very different.

My DD10 sounds very much like your daughter and I've tried many of the same things. My daughter seems receptive to reward systems so next year I'm going to try a poster. There will be mini goals set up along the way to a larger one. Credit will be given for assigned reading as well as "free" reading. (Equal credit but with a min. # of assigned needed to be completed before final goal is reached). Mini goals will be praise and stickers showing publicly that she has earned them while the final goal will be something more material such as a toy, or activity).

Take care, Lisa

Although teachers don't often choose books we don't like at some point we MUST read things we find boring simply to meet the requirements of the world. Often books we find boring are what we need to read in order to become educated.

I really don't see it that way at all. Yes, I've read through books I would have preferred putting down. But before I had a special needs child, every single instance was because it was a requirement in a class. There was an end goal. I must read the book to take the test and make a good grade for the class.

I know I read books in school but the only one I truly remember is The Outsiders. I lost my copy and had to get another one and endured an embarrassing moment in class because of it. As for the book, it had something to do with bad boys, I think. I couldn't even tell you the titles of any other books I read. Yet at some time, those books were placed into the curriculum plans because someone thought they had value. I must have done my work though because I made mostly B's in my classes. The C's were reserved for P.E. and Science. Yuck to both of those!

As an adult, I've worked through books that were boring or complicated because there was some value in doing so. The books on Asperger's Syndrome, for example, make my toes curl. I have to read those paragraphs again and again to make sense of them. Sometimes I've put the books aside because I need a break. (think months) But my desire to help my child with Asperger's Syndrome drives me to research more. That's true education because it has relevant meaning in my life.

If you really need her to read books as part of her schoolwork, you simply plan them out and make her read them. But you can't expect her to enjoy or retain information that she doesn't find meaningful or interesting. No matter how much you think she needs to know something, only she can determine what will really stick and what won't. I just feel like you're setting yourself up for unhappiness because it seems like you're expecting her to enjoy all books. That may never happen, and I don't personally think that's reasonable to expect.

I'll have to add in . I've noticed alot of 10 year old girls seem to be this way ( maybe the boys too ) but I've had to stop and think and I've noticed too that those preteen hormones are just gearing up . My 10yr old can be the sweetest little girl you would ever meet and the next second in tears or stamping off to her room .

I say if its a book that you want her to read. Then have her read it to you . This is the only way that I've gotten my daughter to go through a book that she has very little interest in . I second the you read one page and have her read one page. Sometimes to them it just seems that boring book is going to take forever to them . I've done this many a time and it works out well for us too .

Let her read her own stories in her free time . They mean more to her anyways . My daughter likes the Magic Tree House books . She can read those in her own time and she does :>)

One thing I've noticed is some children are voracious readers and some just aren't . I know I was in school . But I didn't have gameboys , and t.v was still pretty boring in those days ,, we were lucky to have Saturday morning cartoons and that's it . I think that has some to do with it too .

Unless you plan on sending her to brick and mortar school anytime soon then what does it matter at this point what they do in a regular school ? You are homeschooling her. Take the time to adjust your homeschool to her needs , isn't that what homeschooling is all about anyways ? Personalized education . If getting through an assigned book is a drag then make it fun . Get the audio tapes to the books . Can't get that ? Read out loud to her . She is still young . Want her to read the whole book then have her read it to you , like someone mentioned wether your listening or not ( be prepared to hear though , " mom are you listening to me ? "

As avid a reader that I am . If the book is boring to me I just can't get through it . I may put it down and pick it up again later on . Or just sell it if its too much :>) LOL.

The point is at this age still is about exposure . Wether its listening to you read it , you listening to her read it , or even if she has a younger sibling and having her read it to them .

I know on Nightline a few weeks ago there is a guy in England who has started a company . If your traveling and are staying in a hotel he will come and read to you . His company has proven no matter what age you are .. people love to be read to .

I know books that I found boring in high school and I barely remember I've picked up now at the age of 32 and have found more interest in . So just because she isn't enjoying it now , doesn't mean she won't later on .

Also we read Robinson Crusoe and my daughter loved this story . So we bought Treasure Island another big hit . We are finishing The Swiss Family Robinson ( see the theme here , all people stranded on islands ?) and this book wasn't as good as the first two . So its possible just because she liked that one book doesn't mean she'll like the rest . Sometimes sequels aren't as good as the first book .

I still say , if you assign it , then have her do the things I mentioned because really at this point is it worth the unhappiness ?

When I am not reading for pleasure, I find I concentrate on and move through work much better if I have a list of questions I am trying to answer. I have to study to keep up my license, and the "pretest" I take helps me focus and ferret out details. I find I remember the whole page better. Could you pre-read and make up a list or get a unit study type thing on the work and have her read with the idea she is going to be a detective?

Best of luck.