Menu

Poll: Will you be attending the RFWP Philadelphia Conference?

Will you be attending the RFWP Philadelphia mini-conference?  

1. 1. Will you be attending the RFWP Philadelphia mini-conference?

• Yes, I will be attending.
    • Undecided, I may be attending.

• Replies 209
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

No one is asking the really important question: if this is a Bible college, is it a dry campus? What about the wine?!?!

:crying: From the college website:

Q: What items should I Not bring to college or leave at home?

A:
The following Items are Prohibited:

• Cooking Items: BBQ Grills, George Foreman Grills,

Microwaves, Hotplates, Ovens and Toaster Ovens

• Candles and Incense

• Tobacco, Alcohol, or Illegal Drug Products

• Fireworks, Firearms, Weapons or Soft Air Guns

• Sexually Suggestive Materials/Posters

• Rated “R†Movies

• Video Games with Inappropriate Content

• Music with Explicit Lyrics

• Stolen Property (including street signs)

• Pets

Maybe we're exempt since we're not students...:o

A:

• Candles and Incense

• Rated “R†Movies

• Pets

Leaving my street signs at home will drastically reduce my luggage!

People flying in, which airport? Philadelphia? And how will you get to the college, rent a car?

Just thinking logistics here!!

The college site has directions. I think it's a little nw of Philly. Maybe if you posted this as it's own thread you'll find someone else flying in. We are still working on details here. I hope you can make it!

Darn. I guess I have to leave my stolen X-rated beer drinking cat at home.

:D My college had three rules for living in the dorms: "No pets, no firearms, no walking on the roof." I knew someone who had his yearbook picture taken posing on the roof of a dorm, holding a cat and a handgun.

A:

• Candles and Incense

• Rated “R†Movies

• Pets

We're surely exempt from some of those things (I don't think they'll be checking iPods for inappropriate music) and we are surely not exempt from others (no grills in the dorms seems like a no-brainer). Alcohol is a grey area. I go to a church summer camp that's held on a college campus, and I know the board has turned down a lot of otherwise perfect locations because they were strictly dry campuses - no exceptions for outside groups not meeting during the school year.

Ok, I'm registered. I took the room for Thursday and Friday. And the Friday meal plan.

Since I will need to leave around noon on Sat, I didn't get the meal plan for that day. I'm sorta counting on someone slipping me a croissant in the morning or something like that. I don't tend to eat breakfast much anyway.

The rooms are single, but the bathrooms are shared for 2 rooms

I'm also hoping the 10$ shipping fee will be refunded.

While I am very grateful for the efforts of RFP and others, now that I've seen the logistics for the mini-conference, I am unfortunately unable to attend. A single bed, presumably thin-walled dorm room with a shared bathroom doesn't work for families with young kids/babies. And if I were still able to convince dh to attend, where would he go with the kids all day now that it's 25 miles away from Philly--shops, tourist sites, hotel pool etc? And a $55 registration fee, plus $96 dorm room fee per night, plus $75/day for food is regrettably out of my league.

I'm terribly sorry, because I was going to be first in line, even if it meant wearing a toga. And now I'm going to go eat some chocolate and cry.

:crying:

Everybody else have a blast, please! I look forward to hearing about it. Thanks again to the organizing crew.

What is the policy on young children and babies? Is there one? After all the talk on here about the issues, one would think it would not be a problem with the conscientious WTM posters. But, I'm curious. I kind of assumed there would not be a lot of young children at the sessions.

While I am very grateful for the efforts of RFP and others, now that I've seen the logistics for the mini-conference, I am unfortunately unable to attend. A single bed, presumably thin-walled dorm room with a shared bathroom doesn't work for families with young kids/babies. And if I were still able to convince dh to attend, where would he go with the kids all day now that it's 25 miles away from Philly--shops, tourist sites, hotel pool etc? And a $55 registration fee, plus $96 dorm room fee per night, plus $75/day for food is regrettably out of my league.

I'm terribly sorry, because I was going to be first in line, even if it meant wearing a toga. And now I'm going to go eat some chocolate and cry.

:crying:

Everybody else have a blast, please! I look forward to hearing about it. Thanks again to the organizing crew.

If you have AAA, you can book a room at a Marriott 5 miles away for $98 per night, bring some food of your own (cereal for breakfast? deli meat and bread for lunches?--you could pack sandwiches for yourself too), and your DH could drop you off and pick you up each day. There's a pool at the Marriott, and it's the Valley Forge area, so I bet there's plenty of historical sightseeing to do.

I found this link for things to do in Phoenixville:

http://attractions.uptake.com/pennsylvania/phoenixville/family/682162393.html

Looks like there's a farmer's market with live music and such on Saturday, and a mini water park/public pool that's shockingly cheap!

http://www.waterworldrec.com/daily.htm

C'mon, you know you want to!!! :D

I just registered and had a lovely conversation with Dr. K. He said the rooms are air conditioned! And we don't have to decide about food today. :) I just registered the family. Everyone who attends a session, including children have to register due to limited seating and having enough money to make it work. We are thinking about food and rooms.

Edited by Starr

What is the policy on young children and babies? Is there one? After all the talk on here about the issues, one would think it would not be a problem with the conscientious WTM posters. But, I'm curious. I kind of assumed there would not be a lot of young children at the sessions.

I have not heard of an official policy but I will mention it to Dr. K. Certainly, after the discussion anyone w/ a crying, fussy, verbal child should take him/her out of the conference room.

This is a nice weekend where we can actually sit and talk w/ SWB and MCT - I for one, am not bringing my kids. I don't want any distractions. :001_smile:

I'm not bringing my kids. Not no way not no how. Dh is taking some leave days. I'd leave them tied to the stove if I needed to though. :D

:lol::lol::lol:

No kids for me either, though that would probably be different if I had a baby or very young toddler. Like Capt_Uhura said, I want to hear every word.

:lol::lol::lol:

No kids for me either, though that would probably be different if I had a baby or very young toddler. Like Capt_Uhura said, I want to hear every word.

Good point! I should probably add that I'm not advocating tying babies to the stove and running off to the conference regardless of how badly you need a weekend away. :gnorsi: lol!

Good point! I should probably add that I'm not advocating tying babies to the stove and running off to the conference regardless of how badly you need a weekend away. :gnorsi: lol!

So you're only advocating tying young children to the stove when you need to go out of town? :confused:

:lol:

So you're only advocating tying young children to the stove when you need to go out of town? :confused:

:lol:

Only if your husband isn't available and if you reeeeeeeally need the getaway. Hey, they are always telling us that moms put others ahead of ourselves and that we need to take time for us once in awhile. I do try to follow directions sometimes. :tongue_smilie:

Are there still plans for a Curriculum Show & Tell - not necessarily organized by RFWP, but by the folks here?

I hope so! I have some serious decisions to make! I was thinking we could maybe make a list of what we're hoping to see, and then someone who had it and was willing to bring it could.

(And maybe those of us who aren't flying could bring stuff to give/swap? I know I have a bunch of things that aren't worth selling and that I'd rather see go to actual HSers rather than the library book sale. Or not!)

Only if your husband isn't available and if you reeeeeeeally need the getaway. Hey, they are always telling us that moms put others ahead of ourselves and that we need to take time for us once in awhile. I do try to follow directions sometimes. :tongue_smilie:

True! The whole "put on your own oxygen mask first" thing, right? :D

Are there still plans for a Curriculum Show & Tell - not necessarily organized by RFWP, but by the folks here?

I hope so! I have some serious decisions to make! I was thinking we could maybe make a list of what we're hoping to see, and then someone who had it and was willing to bring it could.

(And maybe those of us who aren't flying could bring stuff to give/swap? I know I have a bunch of things that aren't worth selling and that I'd rather see go to actual HSers rather than the library book sale. Or not!)

I was just thinking about starting a thread on this topic :001_smile: I think I will---hold on a minute! OK, here it is http://www.welltrainedmind.com/forums/showthread.php?t=263427

Edited by Luckymama

Don't want to hijack this thread but could use some feedback...I get to choose my own six sessions! Could I get some input on what you'd like to hear?

FYI, here are the session descriptions I currently use (not including keynotes). Could customize/branch out too if there's enough organized agreement.

WORKSHOPS

New for 2011!

Homeschooling the Real (Distractable, Impatient, Argumentative, Unenthusiastic, Non-Book-Loving, Inattentive, Poky, Vague) Child

High academic achievement (and particular the book-centered kind of achievement recommended by classical educators) often seems designed for one kind of student: the mature, self-directed, disciplined child who loves to read. In this workshop, learn how to deal with the other 90% of students. Includes practical strategies for dealing with roadblocks in the way of academic achievement, as well as time-tested advice for teaching to your child’s strengths while still addressing weaknesses. Susan Wise Bauer, classical educator, college instructor, and author, was home schooled herself and has homeschooled her own four real children, now aged 10-19 (the oldest is now at university).

The Well-Prepared Student (Middle School/Logic Stage): How to Get Ready for the High School Years

In this session, learn what and how to teach your child in grades 5-8--before that ninth-grade year begins. How can you be sure that you’re handling the transition from elementary learning to more complicated studies properly? What do you do when your child resists? What should you do in the seventh and eighth-grade years to make sure that your student is ready for high school? Includes suggested milestones for each year and subject, as well as practical suggestions for catching up and covering material that may have been missed.

The Well-Prepared Student (High School): How to Get Ready for College

In this session, learn what and how to teach your child in grades 9-12--before they fill out those applications and head off for the freshman year. What expections should you have for high school? How can you teach those subjects that stump you? How should you personalize the high school curriculum for your student, while still making sure that the basics are covered? What skills will your student need to develop in order to thrive in college? As a college instructor, Susan Wise Bauer has taught scores of college freshmen and knows what they should have learned before the freshman year; as a home educating parent, she has graduated one high school student (now at UVA) and is in the thicket of high school with two more.

Note: Susan’s “Preparing for College” workshop covers the technical aspects of record-keeping, testing, and college applications; this workshop focuses on academics and skills.

Other Workshops

The Well-Trained Mind: Academic Excellence through Classical Education,

Grades K-4

A practical, specific workshop covering the how-tos of classical education

for grades K-4. The place of memorization in the early years; foundations

for good reading and writing; using narration; placing history at the core

of the curriculum; relating literature to history; introducing Latin early;

mastering the facts of mathematics; the place of science in the classical

curriculum. Includes recommendations of curricula and books.

Grades 5-8

for grades 5-8. Introducing critical thinking and logic for middle-school

students; the chronological study of history as the center of the

curriculum; relating literature to history; developing skills in outlining

and in critical essay writing; foreign language study; moving into more

abstract mathematics; experiment-based science for home schoolers. Includes

recommendations of curricula and books.

Grades 9-12

for grades 9- 12. Using the Great Books as a combined history and

literature course; how to teach the classics at home (for intimidated

parents!); the study of rhetoric (written and spoken expression); advanced

writing and mathematics for home schoolers; how to do high school science at

home; foreign language study. Also covers use of tutors, online tutorials,

and other resources; preparing the high school transcript; preparing for

college admissions; and completing junior and senior "honors projects."

Includes recommendations of curricula and books.

A Plan for Teaching Writing: Focus on the Elementary Grades

An overall plan for producing good writers at home. This workshop explains

how to guide your student through a simple progression (copying, dictation, narration,

summarizing, outlining, short critical essays, long critical essays,

research paper) that will develop both writing and thinking skills in a

systematic, stepwise manner. Special focus on the groundwork needed in grades K-4 and on remedial work in grades 5-6. Includes suggestions on how to use these

writing and thinking skills in every area of the curriculum. Recommended for those teaching all K-6 students, as well as for those teaching older students who are reluctant writers.

A Plan for Teaching Writing: Focus on the Middle Grades

Expanding on the principles presented in “A Plan for Teaching Writing,” this workshop offers very specific guidance in how to teach middle grade (logic-stage) students the skills of constructing an argument, outlining and writing from an outline. Includes training in outlining, writing from an outline, basic Socratic dialogue, and evaluation and grading. Essential for those teaching all 5-8 students; since written argumentation is the basis of high school writing, this seminar is also highly recommended for those teaching high school students. Students in grades 5-12 are encouraged to attend.

A Plan for Teaching Writing: Focus on the High School Years

Expanding on the principles presented in “A Plan for Teaching Writing,” this seminar covers all of the types of writing that high school students should learn before entering the freshmen year of college: response papers, summaries, and critical essays across the curriculum Attendance at “Focus on the Middle Grades” seminar is highly recommended. Students in grades 8-12 are encouraged to attend.

Teaching Students to Work Independently

A plan for helping middle and high school (logic and rhetoric-stage) students move towards independent learning. Offers step-by-step guidance for parents and students as well as troubleshooting. Students in grades 7-12 are encouraged to attend.

What is Literary Analysis? When, Why, and How Should I Teach It?

You know that your children should read—but what else should you be doing to teach them skills in literature? After teaching literature at the college levelfor over a decade, Susan has seen the results of many different methods. This seminar will guide you towards the most effective way to teach literature. Offers a foundational explanation of what literary analysis is, a list of skills that need to be covered, guidance in how to teach them, and resource recommendations.

How To Read a Book (With Apologies to Adler)

Offers specific training in the three levels of reading, explaining how they are applied in different genres and how they lead to the development of skills in literary criticism. For high school students and self-educators. [Overlaps with “What Is Literary Analysis”; please choose only one]

Preparing for College Admissions

Start thinking about college in seventh grade! But even if your child is

older, all is not lost. This workshop surveys both proper academic

preparation for college (necessary background in liberal arts and sciences, SAT preparation and testing, etc.) and the technicalities of keeping high school records that

will impress college admissions officers. We will discuss portfolios,

writing samples, transcripts, diplomas, and extra-curricular activities as

well as choosing a school, filling out an application, and writing

admissions essays.

PRACTICUMS

A Hands-On Seminar: Basic Literary Criticism

Susan will lead a selected group of students in discussion of a literary work and the construction of a response paper. All are welcome to observe. Students must register ahead of time and complete assigned reading before the seminar begins. Intended for students in grades 7-12.

A Hands-On Seminar: Constructing an Argument

Susan will lead a selected group of students in the construction of several types of written argumentation; covers thesis statements, outlines, and the writing of effective prose. All are welcome to observe. Students must register ahead of time and complete assigned reading before the seminar begins. Intended for students in grades 7-12.

ALL-DAY SEMINARS (4 consecutive sessions of at least 60 minutes each)

A Walk Through Ancient History

Take a chronological guided tour through the ancient world before 300 AD. This introduction to ancient times, first developed for and presented at the Smithsonian, moves through the “high points” of history—those events which shaped the future. This seminar prepares high school students and parents for the study of ancient history and literature.

A Walk Through Medieval History

Take a chronological guided tour through the medieval world, from Constantine’s vision at the Milvian Bridge in 312 and the First Crusade. This introduction to the medieval world offers four unifying themes around which to structure our understanding of the history and literature of the Middle Ages.

OK, people, thoughts?

SWB

Here's what I'd be happy to sit in on:

Homeschooling the Real (Distractable, Impatient, Argumentative, Unenthusiastic, Non-Book-Loving, Inattentive, Poky, Vague) Child

The Well-Prepared Student (Middle School/Logic Stage): How to Get Ready for the High School Years

Grades K-4

Grades 5-8

A Plan for Teaching Writing: Focus on the Elementary Grades

A Plan for Teaching Writing: Focus on the Middle Grades

Teaching Students to Work Independently

What is Literary Analysis? When, Why, and How Should I Teach It?

How To Read a Book (With Apologies to Adler)

A Hands-On Seminar: Basic Literary Criticism

I'm not sure that narrowed it down too much for you :lol: I'd really love to have one session geared toward those of us who self-educate (or have aspirations to do so one day!).

Don't want to hijack this thread but could use some feedback...I get to choose my own six sessions! Could I get some input on what you'd like to hear?

OK, people, thoughts?

SWB

5 more days and lots of throat lozenges? :lol:

I would LOVE to hear both of the "Well-Prepared" sessions.