Menu

Do you use MM as a supplement or a standalone?

JESSICAinMD

How do you use Math Mammoth?  

1 member has voted

1. 1. How do you use Math Mammoth?

• By itself as a stand alone curriculum
    • As a supplement to another curriculum
    • As the main curriculum with a supplement
    • Other

We use it as a standalone curriculum. I am planning to add a couple other things for fun on the side (like Zaccaro's Primary Challenge Math), since DS is "mathy" and enjoys word problems, but MM has plenty in it to provide a good math education. I don't see him "missing anything", so I'm not planning to supplement to fill in gaps or anything like that.

Our main is RS. My 2nd grader also does CWP 1, a few per day. We've used MM on and off, but are starting back up, trying to get all of my kiddos to do half-1.5 pages per day. I only teach 2 RS lessons a day, so on those days one child doesn't have a lesson they can do 2 pages. I figure, they will finish in a timely fashion and we can just do 1 CWP per day. So:

RS lesson

MM page

1 CWP per day

Ds actually has learned math better from MM as a standalone than when we were using RS & occasionally supplementing with MM or MEP (I think this is because he is so visual). The puzzle aspect of MM now has him breaking down numbers for fun into number bonds & seeing all kinds of patterns he didn't before with RS's re-grouping strategy. I've seen more jumps in math abilities in the last few weeks than I have in the last 2 years with RS.

I had my serious doubts that a worksheet program would be as effective as a curriculum with all the manipulative bells and whistles, but MM has really blown me away with its simplicity and quality.

(The newer version with more writing space also really helped with the original issues we had of the pages being too cluttered & close together.)

We use MM to supplement Horizons just for a more mental math side of things. My dd however is starting to HATE when I pull out a MM worksheet to do. She really loves Horizons and is very mathy, but I think that MM has too many problems on it compared to Horizons for her. I'm going to only make her do just a few of the problems next time and see if that helps. :001_smile:

WE use MM as our standalone. I add in some supplements form the blue series Maria wrote and some other Math I pick up. I will probably add in Horizons for my 4th grader who needs the drill and kill.

I can't rave about MM enough. My 2nd grader has just grown by leaps and bounds in her mental math skills. I regret I did not have my 4th grader use MM sooner.

We use some of the MM single-topic "blue" worktexts to introduce certain tricky concepts in a more gradual fashion than Singapore (our "spine"). For those topics, Singapore becomes the review. So far it's been 1 chapter in 3A, 1 chapter in 3B, 2 chapters in 4A, and I don't anticipate the need to supplement at all in 4B. 5A I've only glanced at briefly, but I do anticipate we'll be supplementing with MM.

MM is the stand alone for two of my dc right now and we supplement with lots of games, games, oh and more games.

Next year one of my dc will move back to MUS (she was using MM to shore up some issues\problem areas) but will continue MM as her supplement. The other dc will continue with MM and supplement with ... yep you guessed it, more games.:tongue_smilie:

We supplement MUS with the blue series. I'm 'tempted' to ditch MUS, but I love the instruction methodology too much! BUT I like the various points of view MM provides, so we do 1 page MUS, 1 page MM. We do MM after we've already covered the concepts in MUS, making our math a bit more spirally than MUS alone.

I think I answered that we use it standalone, but that isn't really true. We supplement with things that are not-MM, but we don't use one specific curriculum to supplement. We're working on facts practice and improving speed using pages from random workbooks or worksheet sites, online math games (if that even counts as supplementing, since MM suggests doing that!), and things like that.