Menu

s/o Possible Impact of Government Shutdown

My dh just walked in and said that they were briefed before leaving for the day. Apparently Navy Federal, Marine Federal, and USAA are all three covering direct deposit customers in the same way, so that they will receive a full paycheck on the 15th of April. Pass the news ladies!

Thanks, see that's great information... I'm sending it off to my FRG gal - we usually have great relay of information through the FRG especially during deployment, but not a thing on this. This is the kind of information the guys over there need to hear . . they really don't need to be worrying about this stuff right now.

• Replies 113
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

My dh just walked in and said that they were briefed before leaving for the day. Apparently Navy Federal, Marine Federal, and USAA are all three covering direct deposit customers in the same way, so that they will receive a full paycheck on the 15th of April. Pass the news ladies!

:confused: I don't see anything like that on the sites of USAA or the federal savings banks? I see they are offering deferred payments, fee waivers, etc. But not offering anybody their full paycheck.

http://www.fortbraggfcu.org/asp/products/product_5_2.asp

https://www.usaa.com/inet/ent_blogs/Blogs?action=blogpost&blogkey=newsroom&postkey=usaa_government_shutdown

:confused: I don't see anything like that on the sites of USAA or the federal savings banks? I see they are offering deferred payments, fee waivers, etc. But not offering anybody their full paycheck.

http://www.fortbraggfcu.org/asp/products/product_5_2.asp

https://www.usaa.com/inet/ent_blogs/Blogs?action=blogpost&blogkey=newsroom&postkey=usaa_government_shutdown

Yeah, can't find anything either at least not at USAA..

Just as an FYI, if you are caught without pay -- contact your creditors, mortgage company, etc. and talk to them about the situation. Most *are* willing and able to give you a defered payment date (waiving the late payment fees), or a forebearance period (interest still acrues during the period).

This isn't an isolated incident. Millions will be affected... and it will "trickle down."

My dad will essentially "have the week off" -- most likely without back-pay. Thankfully, my dh is paid out of a different pool (separate account not part of USFG, although he works for the Navy). We won't be missing any pay.

Does anyone know how this will effect civilian government Dept. Of Defense employees? I'll go search around a little and see if I can find anything out... DH said so many rumors are flying around at his work that he's not sure what's really going to happen.

ETA: Also, can any of you confirm this: I heard that they never did pass a budget for '09 or for last year either, but moved forward all along with temporary measures. What's different this time that makes a shutdown so imminent?

Does anyone know how this will effect civilian government Dept. Of Defense employees? I'll go search around a little and see if I can find anything out... DH said so many rumors are flying around at his work that he's not sure what's really going to happen.

http://www.dfas.mil/

If a funding bill is not passed, resulting in a government shutdown, the Department of Defense will have no legal authority to pay military members or civilian employees for the days during which the government is shut down. The current Continuing Resolution Act (CRA) expires at midnight on April 8. Active and Reserve military members will be paid on time for pay earned prior to the expiration of the CRA -- approximately half of their normal mid-month payment. Civilians will be paid for each day worked through Friday, April 8. Because the normal pay period ends Saturday, April 9, this will usually equate to a full paycheck. The shutdown will not affect payments to retirees or annuitants because they are not paid from CRA appropriations.

Once another CRA or an appropriations act is signed into law, normal disbursement of pay will resume for pay earned after employees return to work. Excepted employees who perform duty during the shutdown will be entitled to retroactive payments, as will servicemembers. For furloughed employees, Congress will have to provide authority for retroactive payments to be made.

I understand that the closings and things will be hugely inconvenient, but not getting paid is what will hurt us the most. And what really crawls up my butt and dies is that Pres. Obama and Congress will go right on getting their paycheck no matter that the gov. has been shut down. But not our servicemen. That is just backward to me. *grrrrrr*

My dd's boyfriend is in Ranger school and told her that they will not be paid for four months. Guys were booking flights to go see family because there will be nothing to do. How does that work? I do mean that sincerely, not the way it sounds. :tongue_smilie:

My dd's boyfriend is in Ranger school and told her that they will not be paid for four months. Guys were booking flights to go see family because there will be nothing to do. How does that work? I do mean that sincerely, not the way it sounds. :tongue_smilie:

What? As in Army Ranger school? He's getting some bad barracks grapevine info.

I actually talked to USAA and asked if this was true and I was told as of right now they have no plans of supplementing the rest of the pay.

Right, so - if they get it figured out in a week - would the check still be the same??? How are we supposed to plan? I am going to avoid any political comments, SWB really doesn't need another thread to deal with :), but it is hard.

They have until midnight tonight to figure out the budget. If it gets resolved by then, we will receive full pay. If not then we will get paid for one week. After that it all depends on when they are done with the budget.

My sister is a civilian working for the DOD, she is pregnant and was due yesterday...she was told if she and her husband take time off next week for the birth they will be put on indefinite leave without pay until this whole thing is figured out. So it is effecting the civilian side too.

I was venting about something along these lines last night and dh started explaining the thrashing at his command over determining who is essential and who isn't. You would think that it is pretty straight forward, but it got murky quickly. So I think that some of the lack of information is that they really haven't decided who will be working - and thus which functions will be maintained.

Another quirk is that this shutdown isn't just like the last one, because when the last one occured, some parts of the budget had already been passed, so those functions continued.

I also think some commands (and other agencies) were hesitant to put anything in writing, for fear of being the boy that called wolf. We were within a few days of a shutdown about a month ago, then the CR was passed to avert it.

We're at a big DC command, where there isn't really any kind of an FRG. So I pretty much stay hooked up with my fellow military spouses via Facebook.

There were a lot of people at the commissary stocking up! All I really needed was taro, so we got in and out quick, we went through the self serve line. I thought I was doomed when I walked in the store, but everyone else was getting a ton of stuff, we actually had a shorter wait than normal.

There were a lot of people at the commissary stocking up! All I really needed was taro, so we got in and out quick, we went through the self serve line. I thought I was doomed when I walked in the store, but everyone else was getting a ton of stuff, we actually had a shorter wait than normal.

I was one of those getting a ton of stuff. But they must have had a ton of extra cashiers on, because I didn't wait at all.

I was one of those getting a ton of stuff. But they must have had a ton of extra cashiers on, because I didn't wait at all.

This was me as well. I just bought the things that are significantly higher in town though - meat and dairy are the big two. If this turns out to be not a big deal then I'll have enough meat to last for a long while.

This was me as well. I just bought the things that are significantly higher in town though - meat and dairy are the big two. If this turns out to be not a big deal then I'll have enough meat to last for a long while.

Yes. This is making me very happy that our freezer is full of meat...

I don't think that USAA is doing this. Their facebook wall comments make it sound like they are getting both flak and kudos for not covering the payroll. Some see it as helpful; others see it as a loan they didn't ask for.

What? As in Army Ranger school? He's getting some bad barracks grapevine info.

He is a delightful young man who does occasionally have his info wrong.:D We were trying to figure out how guys could just up and leave.:001_huh:

He may not be thinking too clearly as he was the "victim" in the field yesterday and there was some incident with a decompression needle that the officer in charge stopped just in time.:tongue_smilie: One of these days, Mrs. M, I will need to ask you about "accidents." It is all rather disconcerting. I pay close attention to the military threads as there is a good possibility dd will marry military and oldest son will join. It is an alien animal to me, but it is my sincere hope that all of you weather the government crisis with a minimum of disruption for your families. Thank you for all you do.

Don't back down, no need to feel like a dweeb. My reaction was exactly the same when I read those posts. We are in that specified bracket, yet we still managed to be responsible adults and save up past our 6 mos. of expenses for situations like this and we too have access to credit cards, although we will not need to rely on them. I can easily see why you responded the way you did. The truth is there will be E's and O's who will be hurting badly by this and there will E's and O's who will merely be experiencing more annoyance than anxiety. I'm glad your family is also in the latter catergory ;)

Thanks. :grouphug: We've worked very hard over the years to manage our finances well in spite of a small income and we've been fortunate to do it without no WIC, no subsidies, no help and dangit I'm really proud of that! I hate to be condescended to like we are the poor little peasants of the military. I'm positive that that wasn't what the OP was trying to say but that's automatically where my mind went. It wasn't her fault though, it's the fact that we've experienced that attitude so much over the years. Drives me batty.

To all of you who are active duty ... has your spouse been briefed on any of this at work or have any of the FRG type groups been briefing families on what will be happening if this shutdown comes about and what kind of relief contingencies there might be (like for instance what you guys mentioned about Navy Federal and Navy/Marine Corps Relief, etc.)?

I just talked to DH and even though most people are taking this thing in stride, he was concerned that the chain of command isn't passing any information down the line to the guys. They all just saw that their LES was already changed, and they have to find out all of their information from the internet ... just seems like there should be some kind of briefing for the soldiers on this stuff (especially when they are deployed!).

I know they chain of command doesn't know everything about what is going on, but they could be relaying information so that people don't start getting upset - and the FRGs could be letting the families at home know about services on post, etc as they find out information.

Just seems like a lot of stress could be eliminated if only there was some kind of dialogue going on - is anyone else's command relaying any kind of information down the line?

Wow. My husband's XO has been great all day about briefing us and keeping us in the loop.

And highly recommending we contact our Congressmen to let them know how we feel. :tongue_smilie:

Wow. My husband's XO has been great all day about briefing us and keeping us in the loop.

And highly recommending we contact our Congressmen to let them know how we feel. :tongue_smilie:

Yes, still... not.a.word. Infuriating.

Plus, I just saw this on the news - but can't find it in writing anywhere, apparently, there will be no "death" benefits paid out to any soldier's family if someone dies during this shutdown... can anyone verify this anywhere?? Because I really can't see any of the guys wanting to participate in their dangerous missions in the next few days if that is looming over their heads... how awful.

He is a delightful young man who does occasionally have his info wrong.:D We were trying to figure out how guys could just up and leave.:001_huh:

This is the kind of junior enlisted soldier I was talking about. The clueless kind. This is who we worry about, some of them are married. ;)

He may not be thinking too clearly as he was the "victim" in the field yesterday and there was some incident with a decompression needle that the officer in charge stopped just in time.:tongue_smilie:

Woah, as in the guys were going to stab him with it?!?! Yikes.

One of these days, Mrs. M, I will need to ask you about "accidents." It is all rather disconcerting.

There are accidents in the military. There are a lot of dangerous situations, even when they are not at war, and a lot of the people involved are young soldiers. The worst thing my dh has had happen was when he reached into an unmarked bag in a storeroom and shot himself in the thumb with an epi pen. But, considering the large number of people in the military (especially very young men, no offense moms of young men), the accidents are relatively few and far between.

I pay close attention to the military threads as there is a good possibility dd will marry military and oldest son will join.

There are plenty of us here if you have any questions.

Plus, I just saw this on the news - but can't find it in writing anywhere, apparently, there will be no "death" benefits paid out to any soldier's family if someone dies during this shutdown... can anyone verify this anywhere?? Because I really can't see any of the guys wanting to participate in their dangerous missions in the next few days if that is looming over their heads... how awful.

I saw that in the news, but I haven't seen or heard anything official about that. So, I wouldn't take the word of an anonymous defense official. No telling who they talked to.

:iagree:

I understand that the closings and things will be hugely inconvenient, but not getting paid is what will hurt us the most. And what really crawls up my butt and dies is that Pres. Obama and Congress will go right on getting their paycheck no matter that the gov. has been shut down. But not our servicemen. That is just backward to me. *grrrrrr*

Right, so - if they get it figured out in a week - would the check still be the same??? How are we supposed to plan? I am going to avoid any political comments, SWB really doesn't need another thread to deal with :), but it is hard.

I didn't know we only got paid for 1 wk?

Yikes. Guess that is why we need to save! But still that is NOT right.:confused:

It puts on the stress and yes the guys are already feeling it with the added deployments AND being gone.

We need the Gov. to fix this mess. It seems like the military family feels the pain acutely.:patriot:

:lurk5:

Well, I can't do anything to make money appear in my account if they aren't paying us. I can make sure that I'm stocked up on food and gas and that I don't head downtown, assuming that something is will be open that isn't.

And I do have a similar reaction to Congress collecting their pay, while others do not. To my way of thinking, as soon as the fiscal year rolled over, all of Congress and their staffs should have had their pay cut until a budget was passed. It is a Constitutional duty that they've fallen short on.

Yeah, I just saw that. Is this just precautionary or do they already know that this bill isn't going to get passed? I'm guessing that even if there is a deal struck, the LES isn't going to change, we are just going to get that extra week tacked onto the next paycheck - does that sound right?

That doesn't sound right? They don't normally do that!:001_huh:

Yes, still... not.a.word. Infuriating.

FWIW, I don't think that there is an issue that the death benefit would not ever be paid. Rather, if there was a shut down, it might be delayed.

SGLI is something that service members pay into. So the benefit isn't in doubt, but the timeline might be.

On the other hand, I saw someone claiming that this had been announced because it was so emotionally charged. I think there are definitely people who are looking to score political points right now.

I've been trying to find out if this is true or not, as the only place I've heard it is on FB and on here. Are you sure their paychecks won't be delayed too? Trying to find a verifiable source on this one. It seems like they would have the same type of delays as the the essential govt. workers, military, contractors, etc.

I am trying to remember what happened when this happened to us before.

We did get payed but it was delayed.

My hubby is deployed but I will have to contact him.

I wouldn't worry. They did an emergency pay for the military. At least that is what I remember from the last time.

FWIW, I don't think that there is an issue that the death benefit would not ever be paid. Rather, if there was a shut down, it might be delayed.

SGLI is something that service members pay into. So the benefit isn't in doubt, but the timeline might be.

On the other hand, I saw someone claiming that this had been announced because it was so emotionally charged. I think there are definitely people who are looking to score political points right now.

Yes, I am sure that what you are saying is true. There is no way that they could deny something like that, especially since it is something they have paid in to.

And yes, I'm sure they are just saying it for political impact at this point. I just wish I could figure out where they got that little tidbit of information from. I still can't find it in writing anywhere, so I just wish they'd get their facts straight...

Yes, I am sure that what you are saying is true. There is no way that they could deny something like that, especially since it is something they have paid in to.

And yes, I'm sure they are just saying it for political impact at this point. I just wish I could figure out where they got that little tidbit of information from. I still can't find it in writing anywhere, so I just wish they'd get their facts straight...

There is mention of it in this CNN article. If you read way down the article, there is a distinction being drawn between a death benefit from the government and the SGLI payment. SGLI would still get processed, but not the other. [Though the article does seem written to keep the gloom and doom at the top of the article.:001_huh:]

Have I ever mentioned how fatigued I get with anonymous sources who are senior officials?

I actually didn't realize that there were two different death benefits. I am blessed to be as unfamiliar with that part of the system as I am.

My friend is quoting a DECA rep saying the commissaries would be open. I'm still looking for a concrete link.

Definitely post when you get it. Navy Times said they are closing and everyone working at the commissary tonight says they will close if the shut down happens. I really hope that doesn't happen. Not just for our sakes but all that wasted food....ughhh.

:grouphug:

Just a total non sequitor, but one that I think I can safely put here.

I will not start a Facebook war with people that I like other than with regards to politics.

I will not view every Facebook post as a call to arms or a failure in judgement that is my duty to correct.

I can walk away from the computer without having to have the last word.

Whew, I feel better. Thank you. Continue about your business.

Just a total non sequitor, but one that I think I can safely put here.

I will not start a Facebook war with people that I like other than with regards to politics.

I will not view every Facebook post as a call to arms or a failure in judgement that is my duty to correct.

I can walk away from the computer without having to have the last word.

Whew, I feel better. Thank you. Continue about your business.

Be brave my friend!

:) Thanks!

:iagree:I just skyped with my dh and I am going to e-mail him back this info.

Thanks, see that's great information... I'm sending it off to my FRG gal - we usually have great relay of information through the FRG especially during deployment, but not a thing on this. This is the kind of information the guys over there need to hear . . they really don't need to be worrying about this stuff right now.