Menu

A question for someone who is Roman Catholic??

1. I grew up on New Mexico, went to a Roman Catholic church, where I was confirmed into the church at 13. The mass was taught in Latin, and 1 service was english...Nothing like what I see in the Catholic churches today. People were not as relaxed, and it was definitely like the masses at the Vatican (yes, I've been there)

2. When I went thru my confirmation, I was to be given a name of one of the Saints, so my God-mother chose "Theresa" for me. It was required for my confirmation, and suppossedly something one was to do, if their parents were not confirmed into the catholic church..instituted my the Pope, at that time...It was the 70's :)

3. My question:

Does everyone receive the name of a Catholic Saint when going through confirmation? ...if so....Why?

When I went to :)Italy,Rome, Germany, etc...last year I met a man and we discussed Catholicism at great lengths. He said he'd never heard of that.

A little confused:confused: ....Lacy

I am no longer Catholic as I am a divorced Catholic and remarried a Lutheran and now attend a Lutheran church. But I was raised Catholic and attended Catholic school from 1st grade through 12th.

When I was confirmed it was encouraged that we research a Saint and pick one to emulate as it were . . . someone who could be our patron and role model. I think most of my confirmation class chose a Saint and adopted the name. I chose St. Margaret of Scotland as both my parents are from Glasgow and I read about her good works. I tend to use my maiden name as my middle name now, but I still consider "Margaret" as part of my full name. Don't know if this is helpful or not.

A saint is chosen at Confirmation to be your patron for life - to be like a guardian angel in a way. Mine is Theresa as well! Theresa, The Little Flower who led an amazing life. Once you start reading about these saints it is life changing. If you ever have the occasion to read "The Story of a Soul" by St. Theresa, try it.

The history behind selecting a new name at Confirmation is, I think, linked to the Bible when God would give a new name to a person after a life changing event like Saul becoming St. Paul.

Today, kids in most states do research their Confirmation 'saint' and often submit a report to the Bishop. NOt quite sure why this is so important, myself, but it makes sense to study your saint - saints are amazing friends!

In my diocese it isn't done anymore. But I did want dd to have a saint so we looked a bit prior to her confirmation and she chose St. Mary Magdalene. My saint is St. Bridget of Ireland. And just to fill in the rest of us, dh's saint is St. Florian.

Neither of these were given to us by another. It was something we decided on our own.

The reason for it is to have someone to try to emulate and to have a specific saint to intercede for the person.

My husband was raised RC. He chose (or had chosen... not sure) St. Joseph when he was confirmed. He never uses it, though, unless he's in big trouble with me... then he hears "P---- D---- Joseph K----!! What did you DO???" :D That was in the 90's, in New York, where he was confirmed.

We were required to choose a saint's name for confirmation. I chose Theresa as well, although at the time I wasn't really sure which one I meant -- Teresa of Avila or Theresé of Liseux. On reading more about them years later, both were awesome women and I'd be proud to have either one as a patron.

I guess some places are phasing that out now. I was also surprised to learn my kids weren't required to have a saint's name at baptism.

As far as Latin Mass goes, it is still offered if you are interested. Check with your local church or diocese for "Extraordinary form Masses".

I'm really surprised! I thought this was done at baptism for those that were raised RC and at chrismation (or confirmation, whatnot) for those that weren't?

A friend of mine in the St Louis area had to choose one. In the EO it's chosen at baptism (or birth due to using the name) or at chrismation (for those not born into the EO).

Mommaduck, Catholics are typically baptized with a saint's name, but it's different from the "confirmation name." The latter is an informal tradition that seems to vary by region. I think it's only done in the Latin Rite, because the point seems to be that the child gets to choose his or her own favorite saint's name.

(We were at an Eastern Catholic baptism last weekend. The baby received all three sacraments of initiation, and the priest just used the baptismal name for all of them.)

1. I grew up on New Mexico, went to a Roman Catholic church, where I was confirmed into the church at 13. The mass was taught in Latin, and 1 service was english...Nothing like what I see in the Catholic churches today. People were not as relaxed, and it was definitely like the masses at the Vatican (yes, I've been there)

2. When I went thru my confirmation, I was to be given a name of one of the Saints, so my God-mother chose "Theresa" for me. It was required for my confirmation, and suppossedly something one was to do, if their parents were not confirmed into the catholic church..instituted my the Pope, at that time...It was the 70's :)

3. My question:

Does everyone receive the name of a Catholic Saint when going through confirmation? ...if so....Why?

When I went to :)Italy,Rome, Germany, etc...last year I met a man and we discussed Catholicism at great lengths. He said he'd never heard of that.

A little confused:confused: ....Lacy

Wikipedia claims that it's a tradition limited to English- and German-speaking countries. It doesn't, however, actually seem to be done in Germany these days (I'm open to correction here). My oldest daughter was confirmed in Scotland, and the priest asked what her confirmation name would be; so I assume it's done in the UK as well as the US. I'd love to know the historical reasons for it. Maybe what with children being baptized as Gunther, Morag, or Hrothgar, they needed to make sure a saint got added in eventually.

(We were at an Eastern Catholic baptism last weekend. The baby received all three sacraments of initiation, and the priest just used the baptismal name for all of them.)

Just out of curiosity -- do infants receive the Eucharist in the Eastern Catholic tradition? (If you know!)

Just out of curiosity -- do infants receive the Eucharist in the Eastern Catholic tradition? (If you know!)

Yes, they do. This is the normal practice for members of the Eastern Catholic Churches.

Eastern Catholic infants are supposed to be able to receive the Eucharist at Western Catholic parishes, too, but it would be prudent for the parents to discuss this with the pastor before Mass. If they just present a baby in the communion line, it might cause a bit of a kerfuffle. ;)

Yes, they do. This is the normal practice for members of the Eastern Catholic Churches.

Eastern Catholic infants are supposed to be able to receive the Eucharist at Western Catholic parishes, too, but it would be prudent for the parents to discuss this with the pastor before Mass. If they just present a baby in the communion line, it might cause a bit of a kerfuffle. ;)

Thank you!

Wikipedia claims that it's a tradition limited to English- and German-speaking countries. It doesn't, however, actually seem to be done in Germany these days (I'm open to correction here). My oldest daughter was confirmed in Scotland, and the priest asked what her confirmation name would be; so I assume it's done in the UK as well as the US. I'd love to know the historical reasons for it. Maybe what with children being baptized as Gunther, Morag, or Hrothgar, they needed to make sure a saint got added in eventually.

Well, my dad is first gen Italian-American and he has a confirmation name. He picked his dad's confirmation name- his parents are from Calabria.

My sister and I are from the Chicagoland area and both have confirmation names, but they didn't specify that the name had to be a saint. It had to be important to us.

It's still done here too.

When I went thru my confirmation, I was to be given a name of one of the Saints, so my God-mother chose "Theresa" for me.

I've never heard of anyone else choosing the name for the confirmand though - you get to pick your own.

Today, kids in most states do research their Confirmation 'saint' and often submit a report to the Bishop. NOt quite sure why this is so important, myself, but it makes sense to study your saint - saints are amazing friends!

More of the non-canonical kerfuffle many dioceses have added to confirmation classes in a futile effort to make them "relevant."

Written in a statement form, from the pope,
:lol:

I don't think he has quite that much time on his hands. :)

Phone your diocese's chancery (that's the office that handles the bureaucracy--you can Google for the number) and ask for a copy of the diocesan policy regarding Confirmation. If it's written down anywhere, it's written down there.

However ... this is just a custom, and it may well not be written down anywhere or be any sort of formal "rule." Sometimes, we just do what we do.

I'm so surprised to hear that it's not done in some dioceses. Back in the 70's we were asked to choose the Saint ourselves. I don't think we put a lot of thought into it, and didn't really understand the reason. My dd is growing up much differently and knows how powerful the Saints can be in our lives. I look forward to knowing who she'll choose. :)

If you enjoyed the Latin mass, you can still find Churches which have these available - some every Sunday and others once a month. You may have to travel a bit to find one.

Here's a site which may help: http://www.masstimes.org/

I was confirmed at 21, and two siblings were confirms a few years afterward; we were all confirmed in different dioceses and we all chose saints for our confirmation names.

Choosing a saint is choosing a patron, or a spiritual guide. It is part of the finding yourself and your faith aspect of confirmation. While I think it is often overlooked, I was an adult when I confirmed and found it to be a very important faith and spiritually fulfilling discovery. This saint is supposed to be a spiritual mentor, someone to pray to for answers, and look at their life for answers.

For me it was a name that I chose for myself, and it has become part of who I am. I chose Saint Agnes, and I am humbled by her life.

As I have moved to nearly 22 different parishes over the years and the country, I would be very surprised to be a member of parish that did not perform this part of Catholic tradition.

In regards to baptism, saints names are not required by canon law. The only requirement is that the name honors God and Christian virtues (i.e. you can not name your child Diablo...)

You would be surprised how things vary. I grew up in the US, but live n Mexico. My children did their First Communion here. There cousins were confirmed that same year, and did not choose Saint names. They looked at me funny when I asked about it. Also, there is no age requirement here for Confirmation. One of my nieces was about 10 or 11. I recall, in San Diego, every child had to be about 13 when beginning the classes. You usually finished at age 15.

Danielle