Menu

Early US History for a 1st Grader

WIS0320

I have read and enjoyed and agreed with a lot in the WTM. I still think my kids will benefit from starting "close to home" and beginning with US history and geography.

What is your choice for an open and go type curriculum for early US history for a young lower grammar child? I would like to get through Christopher Columbus - American Revolution in one school year if it I can.

What would you recommend? I've looked at Beautiful Feet, modifying SOTW, and ToG and a SL Core. I'm stuck and need advice!

I have read and enjoyed and agreed with a lot in the WTM. I still think my kids will benefit from starting "close to home" and beginning with US history and geography.

What is your choice for an open and go type curriculum for early US history for a young lower grammar child? I would like to get through Christopher Columbus - American Revolution in one school year if it I can.

What would you recommend? I've looked at Beautiful Feet, modifying SOTW, and ToG and a SL Core. I'm stuck and need advice!

Have you looked at TruthQuest History? American History for Young Students I would cover Columbus to the Revolution I believe. You have to make it open and go yourself by picking your books and scheduling them out yourself. I did that this year with the Middle Ages guide. It took about 2 hours to pick my books and schedule them out. I like to plan so that was fun for me and it was 100% customized to my kids, their interests, reading levels, and library availability.

We are learning US History in 1st grade using a combination of resources. First we learned the geography - states, capitals, shapes, locations and nicknames.

Next we'll read the Betsy Maestro history picture book series. We may use the Complete Book of US History (many folks here recommended this). My dd6 still loves coloring, so I've gathered a bunch of Dover coloring books. To round it all off, we'll be reading various other books and watching videos we can find.

Have you looked at Heart of Dakota's Beyond Little Hearts for His Glory?

I second the Truthquest suggestion, although you do need to do some planning. It isn't open-and-go. I would scratch Sonlight off your list for that age. We loved the two year US history cores, but it is better for older children.

What about Time Travelers? That looks intriquing to me, but I haven't seen many people using it here. I think I may check it out more closely for the next go-round.

If you want just history, don't buy the entire HOD program. Just get the history books and read through them. They are by CLP and are:

American Pioneers and Patriots

Stories of the Pilgrims

Boys and Girls of Colonial Days

You can find the first two at CBD and Rainbow. The last one BFbooks now has the rights to and they revamped it. It is now called Pilgrim Stories. HOD may still have the older version (which is quite lovely).

I love the reprint of Edward Eggleston's book written in the 1890's called A First Book in American History. I read one chapter per day, and there are questions at the end of each chapter for a narration-type discussion to solidify the information. Also, Eggleston's book called Stories of Great Americans for Little Americans is wonderful! These two books would be a great addition or stand alone well for 1st grade history, though the comprehension level of the first book may be a little high for some kids.

We used A Living History of Our World by Angela O'dell from Queen's History or you can order it at Rainbow Resource now. Book 1 covers that time period...there is a student journal that corresponds. We added in books when we wanted to cover something further. We REALLY enjoyed it. Just bought Book 2 at the Cincy convention and can't WAIT to get started!

We just began using the above-mentioned Living History book by Angela O'Dell and it is VERY appropriate for younger ones. I'm doing it w/ a 5 yo and 7.5 yo, plus supplementing with books from SL Core 3 for the older child.

History pockets might be a good supplement as well. Enjoy!

I also recommend Truth Quest History. We started using it 3 years ago with my son who was in first grade. You can dig as deep as you want or just skim the surface, it's up to you. We spent two years on that guide, but we covered things intensely. It covers Exploration to the 1800. It does require a good library. We love the curriculum! When we got to the Boston Tea Party we also watched Liberty's Kids. If your library doesn't have it, you can get it on iTunes.

Edited by Nathansmommy

I've pulled from many sources for my youngers. We do have TruthQuest, however I've found the books difficult to find. We end up substituting most of them. We have mostly read library books, but once you get to Boston Tea Party I would highly suggest watching Liberty's Kids! My kids are loving it! I choose books for the week based on who they meet in the show. My kids are learning a lot and they are VERY engaged! :001_smile:

I'm doing American History I this year with my K5er. The "spine" I'm using is I Love America! It is secular unlike many of the programs mentioned (we're Christian but prefer to avoid "providential" history programs). We're also using History Pockets, Time Travelers, Dover coloring books, and lots of library resources.

I'm doing American History I this year with my K5er. The "spine" I'm using is I Love America! It is secular unlike many of the programs mentioned (we're Christian but prefer to avoid "providential" history programs). We're also using History Pockets, Time Travelers, Dover coloring books, and lots of library resources.

I haven't heard of I Love America!, could you post a link? I'm always looking for good secular history books. Thanks!

We used A Living History of Our World by Angela O'dell from Queen's History or you can order it at Rainbow Resource now. Book 1 covers that time period...there is a student journal that corresponds. We added in books when we wanted to cover something further. We REALLY enjoyed it. Just bought Book 2 at the Cincy convention and can't WAIT to get started!

We are using this book as well and LOVE IT!!!! We supplement with books suggested in Turning Back the Pages of Time and Beautiful Feet.

This is basically what we did for history last year (minus the History pockets) and we had a great year!

We are just starting Winter Promise's American Story 1. It looks so good! I'm excited to do it. We just finished SL Core 1 for part of 1st and wasn't pleased at all. I think the core 3 would be WAY too hard. I did look at it for us and ruled it out immediately (a friend had it).

I also picked up the Beautiful Feet IG and really liked it for a simple, easy study. I probably would have gone with that one if I didn't already have everything for American Story 1!

Joy and Flo, tell me a little more about Angela O'Dell's books. Are they really most appropriate for younger kids, or would they work for my 4th/5th graders?

I think it would be wonderful for that age group. You can add on more if you feel like you need to. The student journal is REALLY nice. You can see samples on her blog.

http://alivinghistoryofourworld.blogspot.com/p/volume-1-samples.html

I did Volume I with my 2nd grade daughter this year and she fell in love with the journal part of it (who knew??) I also realized that when I was working with my older daughter or younger son about something in history, she could add to it if we had studied it in A Living History. She REALLY knew the information. And for this child....that's amazing! So as I looked to this year and really wanted everyone back on the same page of history (we had been doing HOD), I decided A Living History was the way to go. It was the one thing I felt we always got done and that she had TRULY learned something from.

So I picked up Volume II at the Cincinnati conference. It was MORE amazing than Volume I...I will be using it with a 1st, 3rd, and 5th grader next year. So really, yes I think it is enough for your 4/5 grader. In Volume II there are pages in back for written narrations for each chapter (you could just add this for Volume I). I also plan on adding a bit of research for each chapter that she is responsible, as well as some extra books. There are planned review weeks as well where Angela gives ideas of fun ways to review. Again, this is a place where I can have my older daughter go just a little deeper.

You can make the journals fit your need bc it is so open ended. So if I had my older daughter doing Volume I...I just have asked her to be more "thoughtful" in what she was writing....which she tends to do anyway bc she loves history. Volume I covers a great amount of time so Angela doesn't go far into each topic, I would probably have gone farther with my older child or if I wasn't trying to pull off 3 different history periods :banghead:

I hope this helps, if you have more specific questions, I have Volume I and II sitting right here....;)

Three different history periods? Did you miss the memo about COMBINING? :lol:

If you're using SOTW w/ Activity Guides, I can totally understand why you'd do that, but you're a better woman than I am.

Thank you for the info on the journals! I think my girls would really get into that. They've been writing in their journals a lot - Voltron fan fiction - so I think I would like them to harness that energy for good. :D

I will go look at the samples again. I think for what we're using - LBC - I would want Level 2. I love LBC, but for some reason, they do not have a spine for American history like they do for World. It drives me a little nuts. I think this would be a good addition. I really try not to add stuff, because it's crazy-making, but I think I will in this case.

I think it would be wonderful for that age group. You can add on more if you feel like you need to. The student journal is REALLY nice. You can see samples on her blog.

http://alivinghistoryofourworld.blogspot.com/p/volume-1-samples.html

I'm wondering about the journaling. My kiddo is 5 currently and we're still working on the mechanics of writing so I'm not sure journaling would be a great idea in addition to the work she will continue to do with PR next year?

Also, I did order Truth Quest but A Living History looks so good too! Would it be overkill to do both with a first grader, using A Living History as the spine for TQ? And I did order the Book Binder, Notebooking, Timeline et al. package from TQ, the notebooking pages are similar to what the ALH journal would be, yes?

Thanks! This thread has been super helpful to me, I really appreciate everyone taking the time to reply.

I'm wondering about the journaling. My kiddo is 5 currently and we're still working on the mechanics of writing so I'm not sure journaling would be a great idea in addition to the work she will continue to do with PR next year?

Journalling would be a lot at that age, IMO. You could have your 5yo draw after you read aloud. Also, narrate back smaller sections.