Menu

Bible questions???

Mallory

To start with I am a very firm athiest. I feel very strongly about it.

The confusion comes in with my 8 year old. He is as christian as I am not. When he meets kids at the park it is a part of his introduction. " Hi, I'm L, I am christian." When he gets in trouble and gets sent to his room, he voluntarily reads the bible.

The boys and I did a big spring clean of their room today and I can not believe how far he has read in his small print, regular bible.

So I am contemplating at least getting him a bible with kid friendlier language and font, and maybe a bible study????

Any ideas about good bible versions, I would guess a kids bible, but I don't think just bible stories, although maybe both would be good. If I did get some sort of curriculm a basic nondenominational (sp?) version would probably be best.

Any other thoughts for us?

Guest Shanna

You might look into an English Standard Version. As for good curriculum we really like CLP's series. You can find it here...http://ebiz.netopia.com/clpress/bible/

It is the Studying Gods Word. There are fairly inexpensive.

Hmm. We have the Beginner's Bible which my 8yr old likes to read . I've heard good things about CLP's bible study series . I've been looking at the Bible Study from Memoria Press ( as its non denominational(from what I can see ) . And it really studies the Bible in depth and is for children in grades 3 and up .

Memoria Press recommends the Golden Children's Bible . I have no experience with it so I don't know how age appropriate it might be or not .

http://www.memoriapress.com/descriptions/ChristianStudies.html

Though some might debate, The New American Standard (NAS) or New King James (NKJ) are probably the more "accurate" translations for him to study by. The Explorers Bible Study Series http://www.explorerbiblestudy.org/ will give him basic tenents of the faith and a good outline of what the Bible is about. It is non-denominational. Kay Arthur of Precepts Ministries also offers inductive Bible Studies on a younger level. She pulls apart the Bible into bits and gives good historical overview. Very academic.

Also, Words of Delight, by Ryken (forget his first name) is a great analysis of the Bible as literature. Might be interesting for you to read on more of an intellectual level.

Hope that helps. Pam

I have a Bible called Easy to Read Version published by World Bible Translation Center in Fort Worth, TX. I understand scriptures much better in this, and so does DD.

I have to recommend "Learn from the Great Teacher". It is from Jehovah's Witnesses. www.watchtower.org It uses scriptures to teach lessons and answer questions. The Great Teacher is Jesus of course. Every child I know enjoys it. (Not so much the Bible stories)

I would also love to hear how your ds decided to be a Christian.

The Explorers Bible or the Adventureres Bible...my ds8 has one of those and ds10 the other (can't remember whose are whose!). I also just wanted to say how awesome I think it is that you are supporting his Christianity even though you don't believe yourself. That is remarkable...many parents would NOT support it and certainly wouldn't encourage it. You're a good Mom!

I also just wanted to say how awesome I think it is that you are supporting his Christianity even though you don't believe yourself. That is remarkable...many parents would NOT support it and certainly wouldn't encourage it. You're a good Mom!

:iagree:

Suggestions:

Finding Your Way Through the Bible

For the Layman: Survey of the Old Testament

rainbowresource.com has both these books :)

The Explorers Bible or the Adventureres Bible...my ds8 has one of those and ds10 the other (can't remember whose are whose!). I also just wanted to say how awesome I think it is that you are supporting his Christianity even though you don't believe yourself. That is remarkable...many parents would NOT support it and certainly wouldn't encourage it. You're a good Mom!

I completely agree! Kudos to you!

I also agree about either the Explorers Bible or the Adventurers Bible.

We also use CLP's Studying God's Word series for study. Book E starts with Genesis through the first half of the Old Testament. Book F is the second half, Book G covers the gospels (first four books of the New Testament - Matthew, Mark, Luke, and John), and Book H covers Acts (the fifth book of the NT).

Someone recommended to me Bible Study for All Ages. If he has not had ANY instruction at all, this may be the way to go. It integrates Old Testament with New Testament and is a fantastic overview. (FWIW: the OT was the Bible before Jesus was born, and the NT is about Jesus and the church after his life, death, and resurrection.)

Hi,

I'm still trying to figure out this yahoo group thing...however...there were two really helpful threads in recent weeks that I think would benefit you (wish I could link them here). If you search under Bible curriculum and evaluate Bible curriculum, you'll find both posts (I double-checked). There was lots of helpful evaluations.

Just to toss in what has benefitted us...Firm Foundations study from New Tribes Mission and Community Bible Study (check to see if there is one if your area).

Hope that helps!

Julie

THe New International Reader's Version is one I'm using with my 7 year old in our bible study, but my older son, 13, uses the New King James Version.

We start off with NIRV, then NIV, and graduate to NKJV. God's Story by Karyn Henley is also good. I believe it has been changed to a different title now called Day by Day Kids bible. You can see samples at Amazon. We also enjoyed this one and it is one I still read when I don't understand something or the language of my own bible. :)

HTH,

Dee in FL!

I also just wanted to say how awesome I think it is that you are supporting his Christianity even though you don't believe yourself. That is remarkable...many parents would NOT support it and certainly wouldn't encourage it. You're a good Mom!

:iagree: You are one cool lady!

Sylvia

I think the strongest influence in his life is my husbands grandmother. We used to live about 20 min. from her and the two of them were very close. My first husbands father is also a pastor so there is some influence there too.

I think that these family relationships are the biggest reason that I encourage his beliefs. I also think everyone should study the bible, wheather you believe it or not, it has had an influence in our culture. I also would like him to be able to defend and understand his own beliefs, whatever they are.

I appreciate all of your suggestions, but I don't feel any closer to an answer.

I think maybe Explorers, or Memoria Press, or Bible Study for All Ages. Then use whatever bible they recommend, but I don't know.

I would check out different Bible Translations yourself and see how easy they are to understand and then go from there. Scripture reading can be very difficult with a Bible that is hard to understand. The words might be read, but the overall meaning is lost.

Have you thought about asking your family members what Bible they would use? Since this tie is important to you that is another thought.

What you are looking for is a Bible aid that will illuminate what the Bible says without interpretation or bias. Inductive Bible Study like Precepts or Explorers are my favorites because of this fact. Precepts gets more to the root of the meaning of the language from the Greek and Hebrew (for adults) and goes into some of the history and customs of the times. I know there are versions of this for young people. Explorers Bible Studies for the younger group seem to be an exposure to the Bible, based literally on what it says (thus reading a passage and reiterating what it says for fact gathering purposes.) Those that read the Bible really have to be careful about translation. Of course, none of them are completely accurate, but some are better than others. When we try to make the Bible more "understandable" to our kids or ourselves, we run the risk of misinterpreting the message. Some of the translations out there are pretty off from the original intent of the language.

I would look for "inductive" studies where the student learns the facts of the Bible and then makes conclusions from them on his own. Or - a basic Bible study that just gives the fact and details of the content of the Bible. You can get samples of either of the studies I've mentioned free from the websites - or call the phone numbers and ask questions.

I'm trying to remember your son's age. If he is in elementary, basic fact gathering about the Bible, and memorizing of passages, and studying the history will be beneficial and on target for him. It will also give him a big boost in understanding ancient history on the secular level.

Another thought is to provide Bible study aids like *The Victor Journey Through the Bible* by V. Gilbert Beers or *What the Bible is All About* by Henrietta Mears, which comes in several editions and levels. This provides excellent information, background, maps, photos and such regarding the history of the Bible. So, when he reads about King Solomon, or the Egyptians, he can look at one of these handbooks and understand what was going on - what the customs of the day were or look at the map to see what areas are covered. It will give him help in the *whys* of what happened in the Bible.

Hope this gives some help. Feel free to keep asking questions. There's a lot of material out there these days that should provide meat for your son in this area.

Pam

I've been in and led many Bible Studies. I like the Grapevine books because they extensively use the Bible and are simplistic. The child or student reads 1 or 2 chapters then draws a stick figure.

It is simple and does not give you theology.

http://www.grapevinestudies.com/

Most of the Bible is Chronological till you get to the Wisdom Books like Esther, Job Psalms & Proverbs in the middle of the book.

I'll give you a brief out line.

Creation

Flood

Abraham

Jacob

12 Tribes of Isreal

Going to Egypt then leaving Egypt

Entering Promised Land

Judges Rule

Kings Rule

Country Split in Two

One split falls then goes into captivity

The other falls then goes into captivity

One group comes back and rebuilds

400 years of silence

Gospels - Jesus on Earth

Acts - Early Church

Missionary Trips of Paul

Letters to different churches

John's Letters to the Churches and Vision

What you are looking for is a Bible aid that will illuminate what the Bible says without interpretation or bias. Inductive Bible Study like Precepts or Explorers are my favorites because of this fact.

I would agree with this advice. I hope you find something that suits your needs.

Since your child is only 8.... I don't know how successful he will be doing a Bible study on his own. What we have found really useful as a companion to reading the Bible is "What the Bible is all about for young explorers"

I cannot recommend this book enough. It explains the different sections of the Bible both in the Old and New Testament, gives an overview of the major themes in the Bible and then gives a book by book/ chapter by chapter summary of book in the Bible. It includes maps, background, simple cartoons.... just fantastic for whetting the appetite but not too overwhelming for elementary aged children.

Even as an adult I find it extremely informative and not intimidating. You can see a sample here: http://www.christianbook.com/Christian/Books/product?item_no=23633&netp_id=114921&event=ESRCN&item_code=WW&view=details#curr

In terms of reading the Bible on his own, I remember struggling through a King James Version when I was 12 and without any help, I quickly abandoned the text due to lack of understanding.

If I were to give a Bible to an 8 year old, my top pick would be The Good News Bible. It takes big words like "sanctification" "propitiation" and explains them in a way that a new Christian would understand. I absolutely love this version! You can always use the NAS and other more "direct" translations for comparison but I would check out The Good News version to see how easy it is to understand.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/reader/1585161551/ref=sib_dp_pt#reader-link

That's what I found so amazing, his bible is little, probably 3x4 inches with tiny print, I believe a King James Version and his book mark is in Job. He is 8 now, probably 9 before we would start this.

I can't imagine he has been able to understand much of it, even though he can probably read most of the words, I am just so amazed that he keeps on.

I still don't feel any closer to knowing what to do, but I do feel that this is something he is strongly drawn to.

I did try to look at the Precepts site, but I couldn't figure out what I should be looking at.

There are two Bible versions out there that are written at about a 3rd grade reading level - the New International Reader's Version (NIrV) and the International Children's Bible. You will find these two versions with many different labels i.e. Discoverer's, Kids Quest, etc., but really what you are looking for is the version. My ds reads quite easily out of the ICB, and I think your son would really enjoy either one.

If you want a more adult translation, I would suggest looking at the Children's ESV. It has the whole text of the English Standard Version, but has the illustrations and color that appeal to children. This will be the next Bible we purchase for our ds. It is a very readable but accurate version.

One more idea - this is not really a Bible study, but CBH publishes a devotional for children called Keys for Kids. It consists of a daily Bible reading, then a very short story that applies the passage in such a way that a child can relate to it. Your son could probably do this on his own each day. You can see a sample at CBH Ministries. A subscription is free and is mailed bimonthly.

HTH

I agree with the Precepts site being hard to maneuver. Sometimes calling the 800 number will lead to helpful people giving quicker answers than trying to manage a poorly designed site. I checked out their site and found this page describing some of the studies offered to kids. It's here http://www.precept.org.au/bible_studies_childrens.html I don't know if that is what you are looking for but it is a reputable Bible study resource...

Pam

If he's happy reading a "real" Bible, I would let him continue. :001_smile: I do think he is understanding a lot and is probably quite pleased with himself that he's reading the whole thing.

A children's version (or even a different translation) is not going to "sound" like the Bible to him (The difference between the King James Bible and the Good News Bible is like rewriting Dickens in modern slang.)

Children's bibles are a fairly recent phenomenom. My dad learned to read on the KJB in 1935 (at age 3!). Children's bibles were unheard of then. Back then, no one felt the need to "dumb down" the Bible.

I'm not sure you want to elevate this to a "study." Some kids will happily read hard books on their own, only to balk at Dick and Jane when assigned. He's doing so well, I'd be hesitant to interfere. He has his whole life to understand the Bible and his understanding of it will change as he gets older anyway.

Okay, I am really starting to feel that what we really need is something like an Eyewitness Bible book. Do they make those?

Just some non-fiction books with pictures and maps maybe pages about certain people to help enrich and open his understanding of his bible and lead him in new directions. Things that he could look at on his own, that would add to his reading of the bible, not distract from it.

Any ideas there?

Okay, I am really starting to feel that what we really need is something like an Eyewitness Bible book. Do they make those?

Just some non-fiction books with pictures and maps maybe pages about certain people to help enrich and open his understanding of his bible and lead him in new directions. Things that he could look at on his own, that would add to his reading of the bible, not distract from it.

Any ideas there?

We used this for some pictures and information about the OT:

http://www.amazon.com/Eyewitness-Bible-Lands-Jonathan-Tubb/dp/0789457709/ref=pd_bbs_sr_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1210436996&sr=8-1

For the life of me, I can't find it right now, or I would take a look at it again and give a more detailed report. My son (7) seemed moderately interested in it. He does like his Adventure bible for young readers very much.

You have been given some great advice. I hope you are able to find what you are looking for!

Any ideas there?

Oh, I've got one: The Children's Illustrated Bible by DK! :)

Wow! It is so neat that you are encouraging your children in their interests. My mother is Christian and my father is Muslim. I learned about each belief but they allowed me to make my own decisions and not push me into any particular way. I could ramble about my journey but this is what my little ones use:

Max Lucado's Hermie and Friends Bible

It looks kiddiest at first glance but this is a REAL bible. It is written in International Children's Version which is basically plain english without the Thees and Thous of the King James Version. It has a few wonderful pictures scattered throughout of Hermie and His Friends with little notes on things like holding grudges, forgiveness, etc. My sons love this because it's a grown up Bible. I purchased ours from Lifeway but Christian Books.com carries this also. HTH.:)

Oh, I just ordered Kay Authur's How To Read The Bible (precept ministries). They are available at ChristianBooks.com also and listed under Discover 4 Yourself series here.

I guess I'd leave him be! Also, I'd beware of turning his Bible time into an academic exercise or bummer, KWIM?

Blue Letter Bible as a wonderful audio stream in the New Living Translation. It is truly wonderful! Many people like to begin in John and move forward from there through the entire New Testament. I think your son would really enjoy this.

I actually know many Christians who have non-religious parents. It happens quite often, actually! Kudos to you!

: )

Tami

I took someone's advice and asked my ex-father in law, and he said he would love to and he'll get a bible in the mail Monday. I'm not sure what bible it is, but at least the font will be bigger.

I am trying to help this the same way I would an intrest in snakes or woodworking. So I am leaning most towards the Eyewitness Bible Lands or Christianity or maybe the Children's Illustrated Bible by DK. I also think he would enjoy some audio of the bible, but my internet is sooo slow it is hard to listen to anything online. I wonder if my exFIL has any cd's or tapes of the bible, it seems like I've even heard something like that at his house, hmmm.

Yes, I have been thinking about a class he could go to. I know there is a pastor that lives a couple blocks away that would even come pick him up every Wenesday. I've been trying to remember what church it was, I been meaning to drive down those streets a couple times and see if the van (with the church's name on the side) is there. I have talked to him a couple of times (and he invited the boys to come), he used to pick up a girl that lived down our street (she has moved). It would be convienent if that worked out!

Now that I feel I have a better hold on what we want--something to help him understand the bible, with out being a formal study--I read back over the thread and see that some suggestions like that have already been made.

For ds these are the books for me to decide on now:

Eyewitness Bible Lands

Eyewitness Christianity

Children's Illustrated Bible by DK

What the Bible is all About

Finding Your Way Through the Bible

Victory Journey Through the Bible

And I am also thinking of something for myself:

Through the Bible in One Year

Discover the Bible for Yourself

Words of Delight

Thanks for putting up with all my thinking!

My son loves his Adventure Bible. There is also a Young Adventure bible for younger children. If he is a good reader, Don't buy the Young Adventure Bible, he'll outgrow it in a year. (by Zondervan) There are some illustrations, and color pages that list specific events or extra helps.

:iagree:Also, someone mentioned the Victor Journey through the Bible. Excellent, brief explanation of every book in the bible with on location photos and/or photos of ancient artifacts.

If you're interested in a bible study class that is interdenominational, there is a bible study called Bible Study Fellowship, www.bsfinternational.org. It is not affiliated with any specific church or denomination but is a parachurch organization. The evening classes have a school program for children grades 1-12. You can find more information about the children's program under BSF Classes in the web site.

My dd is 6 yo and attends the children's program while I attend the women's study. She uses the New International Version that is in large print. The children can only attend with a relative so that the relative can help the child with their lessons during the week. The women and children study the same study but the children's lessons are written to their age level. This is an excellent way for mothers to see what their children are learning as they participate in the study.

Hope this helps. All the best in helping your son learn more about the Bible and the Christian faith.

I vote against The Golden Children's Bible. As much as I love Memoria Press' date=' I can't get past the blonde Jesus. I sold mine.:glare:[/quote']

I have to giggle at this one....I didn't remember the blonde Jesus. So, when I picked one up for my kids, I was a little shocked! We don't use it much as a result. I just can't seem to get over the illustrations.:)

And I am also thinking of something for myself:

Through the Bible in One Year

Discover the Bible for Yourself

Words of Delight

You might want to check out this one:

The Narrated Bible by F. LaGard Smith http://www.amazon.com/Narrated-Bible-F-LaGard-Smith/dp/0736902392/ref=pd_bbs_sr_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1210552297&sr=8-1

I have had this on my wish list for some time. It looks quite interesting, and gets high marks from users. Perhaps it is something you and your son can read together? Of course if he is reading the regular KJV bible at age 8, he could very well read this on his own as well. I like the Chronological aspect of it, and from looking inside the book, the way it reads like a story as well.

Let me also say how encouraged I am by his love for his Lord. It actually brought tears to my eyes. No kidding. You will not find many 8 year olds reading their bibles just because they want too. To us Christians, his faith is definitely a "God-thing." What a wonderful blessing that God has touched his little heart in such a big way. And what an amazing mom you are to not only allow it, but encourage it!...especially when you yourself are in complete disagreement. ;)

I pray God touches your heart as well...whether you believe in Him or not. :D

• 3 weeks later...

In case anyone is still interested, here is an update!

The bible from my ex-father in law is a KJV Children's Study Bible, so the actual bible passages are the KJ text, but it has summaries and extra maps and things as well as plans for studing your bible and passages to remember. And the font is much bigger!

We also got Eyewitness Bible Lands, and What the Bible is All About for Young Explorers.

He has them all sitting on his bedside table.

We love the Jesus Storybook Bible and Egermeirers Bible. Can I ask how your ds became a Christian?

I would like to second these recommendations.

The Jesus Storybook Bible is unlike any I've seen. It tells the stories Bible readers are familiar with but keeps the reader connected to the big picture, to the purpose of God's plan. And it's written in a fresh, moving style. Check it out here: http://www.amazon.com/Jesus-Storybook-Bible-Every-Whispers/dp/0310708257

We read Egermeier's every day. Its illustrations are more old-fashioned, but the text reads well. Kids can understand it, but it's not dumbed down. We've really gotten attached to it.

Though some might debate, The New American Standard (NAS) or New King James (NKJ) are probably the more "accurate" translations for him to study by. The Explorers Bible Study Series http://www.explorerbiblestudy.org/ will give him basic tenents of the faith and a good outline of what the Bible is about. It is non-denominational. Kay Arthur of Precepts Ministries also offers inductive Bible Studies on a younger level. She pulls apart the Bible into bits and gives good historical overview. Very academic.

Also, Words of Delight, by Ryken (forget his first name) is a great analysis of the Bible as literature. Might be interesting for you to read on more of an intellectual level.

Hope that helps. Pam

:iagree::iagree::iagree: What she said.

In case anyone is still interested, here is an update!

The bible from my ex-father in law is a KJV Children's Study Bible, so the actual bible passages are the KJ text, but it has summaries and extra maps and things as well as plans for studing your bible and passages to remember. And the font is much bigger!

We also got Eyewitness Bible Lands, and What the Bible is All About for Young Explorers.

He has them all sitting on his bedside table.

How fun! Sounds like he'll have a blast reading through all this stuff! My ds was the same way a few years ago....started reading an adult Bible, on his own, around age 6 or 7. He knows it way better than I do. He has read it all, several times, just absorbing the stories. I'm currently trying to figure out what to do next, with some sort of Bible study for him next year....since he's getting more analytical about things.