Menu

Has anybody else's "get up and go" got up and went?

I functionally stopped school about five weeks ago -- about the time dd2 was diagnosed with diabetes. Well, life is pretty much back to "normal" (whatever "normal" is), but school isn't......

The garden is planted....

The Stanford testing group is organized and ready to go for next week.....

The house is sort of clean.....

Ds1 is working through his AP exams.....

Meals are happening, with only one take-out pizza night.....

But school isn't. I have a PILE of 8th grade writing assignments to go through, and they just sit there. I wave "hi" to them occasionally when I go by.

So what do I do when my "get up and go" has got up and went? Declare it summer and head to the pool?

Same here-

All motivation to do anything formally school has just fled...

It's nice outside and the kids want to play..

I really can't say that I blame them after being cooped up all winter!

When I am in the car I have my son do his phonics reading and math workbook. On his own he has developed an interst in waterfalls so we have been researching that!

I figure that when it rains I will do some catch up. I plan on doing that throughout the entire summer. I am thinking that this will balance out the missed time now:D

With extreme winter and summer weather, why not split the summer break and take half of it during spring and half of it during fall? That way you can plant the garden and harvest it both without interrupting school!

Truly, spring and fall are the best times for bug catching, meteor watching, gardening, hiking, picnics....so on the hot swealtering summer days, swim, read, and do "summer school" stuff (leftovers from winter and previews for fall!).

Schooling "year round" really helps go with the rhythm of real life!

Cathy

I've got one finished up and off to France (I hope - still waiting to hear if he's arrived safely), the oldest has finished his refresher math, we've managed to get the boat launched, and now we're sort of recovering. I have plans for school for the youngest, but we're pretty limp at the moment. The whole college-applying thing is pretty tiring, even the unusual way we did it.

With all you've been doing and facing this year, I'm surprised you've managed the house and garden, even. I'd declare summer arrived and take a bit to recover. Or if that worries you too much, then I'd try for a half schedule, done first thing in the morning. I've had luck talking myself into doing something by telling myself that something is better than nothing, cutting our schedule down to the bare essentials, and doing them all in a row first thing. If we all know that we have only about 3 hours of work, we can get through them pretty well, and it does at least get the math book finished. Or we go for just doing math and then reading all the rest of the morning and get a good bit of the literature and history list out of the way. Then when we have more energy, we go back to doing the things that are harder to do. I have funally, finally learned that schedules are a tool to help me do what I'm supposed to do, and if I'm not doing the schedule, then I need to try a new schedule. If I remember correctly, you don't have an hourly school schedule, but more of a what-we-need-to-get-done-this-day sort of schedule. Sometimes, when I'm deeply tired, I find that I need to pick a daily routine and cling to it. It keeps me from spending precious energy on deciding what to do and when to do it each day. I don't do a clock schedule, but I pick an order to do what we need to do and try to do that before I run out of energy. If I have extra energy at the end of the day, then I can do extras, but having the basics decided on keeps me from spending energy on feeling guilty, too. Vitamins and a daily nap aren't a bad idea, either. But you probably know all this already; your family manages to get through so much more than we do GRIN.

Hang in there and try to get some sun.

-Nan

We start school in the heat of the cummer so when "spring Fever catches us I do not feel so bad about ditching for the day and working in the yard together - that is learning as well :) for the last couple of weeks I have given each child their IOWA test and then worked in the yard the rest of the day.

The testing is done, the garden is planted ..... so tomorrow it is back to a "normal: if not shortened school day.

I must say I do feel great when we reach "the end" of each book. DS finished World geography, history for the most part - except for some "extra" reading.

we have changed our schedule to a list of the assignments left with a check box next to each. We have an agreement to work on each subject for an hour a day until it is done. Right now that is about 5 hours for each boy - less for the first grader... each week it should be less until all subjects are complete.....

I was so hoping to be completely done by mid May; but I was hospitalized for a week in October with a blood clot in my lung. It took a few months to get back to normal - and we had the holodays in there. So we really did not get back on track until Jan. - and then changed our track a bit.

Tomorrow is supposed to be stormy maybe we will get some stuff sone with out the beautiful weather pulling us outside........

With extreme winter and summer weather, why not split the summer break and take half of it during spring and half of it during fall? That way you can plant the garden and harvest it both without interrupting school!

Truly, spring and fall are the best times for bug catching, meteor watching, gardening, hiking, picnics....so on the hot swealtering summer days, swim, read, and do "summer school" stuff (leftovers from winter and previews for fall!).

Schooling "year round" really helps go with the rhythm of real life!

Cathy

Yeah, after our winter (last snow gone on May 1) I've been thinking that too. We're testing and playing outside. When it get's really sticky-hot, we'll do some more inside!

We have had a weird year with oldest ds badly breaking his left arm in travel soccer back in the fall. Both bones in forearm resulting in two - 6 inch plates and 14 screws.... yes, he is a leftie and his 2nd time breaking the same bones. Hard to have the writing intense year I planned so well with that situation. But actually, we had a wonderful year of learning after that mishap.

Well, last year we had a job loss and moved states (NC to TN which is home), and this year the arm...what high school years we are having.... I am feeling weary and "pushing" myself and both boys toward next Friday when we are heading to DESTIN FLA for a much needed vacation.

Feeling like the little train that could here......:auto: I think I can!

Looks like you are still holding everything together very well, from where I'm sitting. :grouphug: The extra long winter seems to have drained much of my usual spring energy, but I'm doing the must be done(s). Today is beautiful and there are 4 baby foxes behind our fence. We keep stopping to watch.:blush:

I functionally stopped school about five weeks ago -- about the time dd2 was diagnosed with diabetes. Well, life is pretty much back to "normal" (whatever "normal" is), but school isn't......

The garden is planted....

The Stanford testing group is organized and ready to go for next week.....

The house is sort of clean.....

Ds1 is working through his AP exams.....

Meals are happening, with only one take-out pizza night.....

But school isn't. I have a PILE of 8th grade writing assignments to go through, and they just sit there. I wave "hi" to them occasionally when I go by.

So what do I do when my "get up and go" has got up and went? Declare it summer and head to the pool?

With all the changes you've been dealing with maybe it's time to take a break. However, if you're like me you might enjoy it more if you get at those papers first. During the weeks just before and after ds was diagnosed, my grading and record-keeping wasn't exactly impressive.

My suggestion is to tackle that pile of papers if it's seriously bothering you, and either take a break or do school lite for a few weeks before easing back into your usual plan.

It sounds like you're getting a lot of good things accomplished!

Debate was over a month ago. Co-op classes ended last month. The younger dc are done with math and most of their core. We're hanging on with our fingernails until ds-16 finished his first ever AP exams next week. I'm *trying* to keep some semblance of routine for his sake! Once he's done . . .:party:

Blessings!

Lisa

Some of us have been ignoring this thread because we are pretending that we still have lots of "get up and go". Lots.

There are still some hoops to jump through after the AP Biology exam, but I do see the light at the end of the tunnel.

Jane

Some of us have been ignoring this thread because we are pretending that we still have lots of "get up and go". Lots.

Jane

This is me, definitely. Ds still has several weeks to go in a couple of on-line classes, so I feel that I have to keep up the good front for his sake. The weather is finally nice, though, and younger ds is nearly done, so it's hard.

Brenda

I've heard it said that one must beware the light at the end of the tunnel -- make sure it's not the headlight of an oncoming train!

Regards,

Kareni

Snort! I am not even the one taking the AP Bio exam, yet I feel like I have indeed been involved in a train wreck as my son prepares.

Sigh... But it is almost over.

Jane (who just hopes that the next one will not be this intimidating!)

Snort! I am not even the one taking the AP Bio exam, yet I feel like I have indeed been involved in a train wreck as my son prepares.

Sigh... But it is almost over.

Jane (who just hopes that the next one will not be this intimidating!)

:lol:

I'm already thinking of next year's AP exams. I'm hoping that the trauma/anxiety of preparing for the AP Bio exam this year (dd's first AP exam) is because the test and format are new to her. Otherwise, next year with two AP exams on the horizon....:willy_nilly:

Two days 'til the AP Bio exam. Yea! Then it's downhill from there (I hope).

Yep! My get up and go got up and went a couple of weeks ago. Not just mine, either, my ds's get up and go is gone, which is making these last couple of weeks harder and harder.