Menu

If you want to watch an LDS service, without going to an LDS chapel...

Now's your chance! :tongue_smilie:

General Conference is this weekend. It won't be a typical service as no Sacrament will be offered, but it's a televised event. The Prophet and other members of the First Presidency, the Quorum of the 12 Apostles, and selected members of the Quorum of the 70 will address the general membership of the church in four meetings spread out over the weekend. Two on Saturday and two on Sunday at 10am MST and 2pm MST each day.

If you have KBYU on your cable they'll broadcast it, and also www.lds.org offers live streaming video.

I know I've found a lot of wonderful insights have come to me from watching YouTube clips of other faith tradition's services (like an Orthodox service that had beautiful chanting), so I thought I'd throw out this information to those who might be curious about the types of things LDS people hear on Sundays, but don't want to actually step into an LDS chapel.

Also, our wonderful choir will be singing. :D

You guys are lucky - down here in Aus we still have to go to the chapel to watch and that's not fun with 3 kids under 5.:glare:

I usually watch it via computer but we live in a poor area -not all the members have a computer so to the chapel they must go. No munchies or knitting for us while watching GC.:sad:

You guys are lucky - down here in Aus we still have to go to the chapel to watch and that's not fun with 3 kids under 5.:glare:

I usually watch it via computer but we live in a poor area -not all the members have a computer so to the chapel they must go. No munchies or knitting for us while watching GC.:sad:

I remember having to go to the Stake Center as a kid. I was SO thrilled when my grandparents got cable, and we would get together with them and all my cousins (on my mom's side) to watch General Conference. Especially if it was Easter weekend, as it sometimes is, because we would have an Easter Egg hunt inbetween the Saturday sessions.

And of course stuff ourselves silly with food. :lol:

In my family now, with no extended family around, we pull our LoveSac (giant bean bag) infront of the computer and eat the about-to-expire food from our 72-hour kits (which we replenish the weekend before). We call it the "Feast of the Perishables". :D

We don't even have a chapel to go to right now, nor is our internet connection fast enough to watch conference later. No one sends us videos or DVDs either because we don't have any sort of official branch. Maybe someday. We can at least read the talks later and print them for the other members here.

We did the chapel thing in the US when we our oldest children were little and it wasn't my favorite. I didn't have a problem with crocheting in the chapel though. :)

I'm a big fan too. And it's nice to live in a place where we can watch on our own couch in our jammies.

When we lived in Georgia in pre-internet streaming days we did that too. At the time we had a completely out of control (undiagnosed Aspie) toddler and lived in a ward with some cranky older people who would give me nasty glares in the chapel when he got too loud (it was one of those newly wed / nearly dead wards). Since dh was in the bishopric at the time I wheedled him into setting up a tv in the Relief Society room (they all said, "now why didn't we think of that before?") and I brought some toys and let him and a few other little kids in the ward play during conference while I worked on whatever handwork I had going at the time. The first time or two it was fabulous, but then the cranky old ladies realized the lights were on in there and you could work on a project while watching, and they thought that was a fabulous idea, so they joined us. Which would have been fine with me, except that they started giving me those poisonous "can't you control your child" looks again. So I had dh put up a sign on the door that said something about the room being for the convenience of families with small children and figured at least then the old ladies would know THEY were the ones being cranky in OUR space, rather than the other way around. Hee hee.... Some of them went back to the chapel where it was quiet, and the other ones turned out to be nice.

All of which is a rambly way to say maybe you could work out a similar arrangement for folks who like to knit or do jigsaw puzzles or whatever while watching conference. It really is a long time for kids to just sit. And their parents too.

We don't even have a chapel to go to right now, nor is our internet connection fast enough to watch conference later. No one sends us videos or DVDs either because we don't have any sort of official branch. Maybe someday. We can at least read the talks later and print them for the other members here.

We did the chapel thing in the US when we our oldest children were little and it wasn't my favorite. I didn't have a problem with crocheting in the chapel though. :)

Would you like me to send you DVDs? Or would that cause more problems than it would solve?

Would you like me to send you DVDs? Or would that cause more problems than it would solve?

It might not be a good idea right now, although it would probably be fine. We'll just need to remind the branch in Kazakhstan to not forget us.

Edited by Amira

It might not be a good idea right now, although it would probably be fine. We'll just need to remind the branch in Kazakhstan to not forget us.

Yeah....I thought it might be a good idea to ask first. I hope things get better soon out your way, as that sort of thing goes.

Amira: How many LDS are there In Kazakhstan? Are they natives, or mostly expats?

There's a small branch in the largest city. It's been there for about ten years and I think the official membership is 160. Very few are expats. There have never been very many LDS expats in any part of Central Asia.

That was a really good conference. It seems like they get better every year. Probably, though, it's more a matter of me getting better at really listening every year. I will definitely be adding all the sessions to my laundry-folding listening material. I'm impressed that they already have video and audio of yesterday's sessions on the archive page. At least, in English they do. They're getting speedy at that.

That was a really good conference. It seems like they get better every year. Probably, though, it's more a matter of me getting better at really listening every year. I will definitely be adding all the sessions to my laundry-folding listening material. I'm impressed that they already have video and audio of yesterday's sessions on the archive page. At least, in English they do. They're getting speedy at that.

Ha ha, I was thinking that I have a harder and harder time getting to listen every year. Probably something to do with the littles running around screaming:willy_nilly: I mean, those Conference packets only hold their attention for all of 10 seconds. My poor sister was like, "Can't they be quiet? Be quiet! GOSH! I'm never coming down here for conference again!" Which got a nice lecture from me on not having to come down here again, how life is not all about you once you have children and beware once she does, cuz she'll never even get to enjoy a church meeting again. I didn't even bring up the fact that she got to enjoy a session at the Conference center bc my husband got her tickets :glare: but I probably should have.

My favorite talk was by I can't really remember his name, Elder Gibbons?:001_huh: It was this afternoon about parenting. So absolutely what I needed to hear after yesterday's fiasco. I really felt like I needed some divine help to go on with this parenting thing, it's just so hard :crying: Of course, I also enjoyed Elder Holland's and Elder Scott's. Was anyone else crying over Elder Scott talking about his wife and children? I thought it was so sweet, all the wonderful things he said about her.

Are you guys talking about the "do" and "be" talk? Because I was sooooo nudging my hubby multiple times during that one. :lol: He's more of a "Go to your room!" type parent, and I'm more of a "Why did you do that? It wasn't nice of you to do that because ______. What can we do next time that might be better?" parent. It was nice to see my philosophy of teaching-heavy "discipline" put forth so eloquantly. :lol:

Ha ha, I was thinking that I have a harder and harder time getting to listen every year. Probably something to do with the littles running around screaming:willy_nilly: I mean, those Conference packets only hold their attention for all of 10 seconds. My poor sister was like, "Can't they be quiet? Be quiet! GOSH! I'm never coming down here for conference again!" Which got a nice lecture from me on not having to come down here again, how life is not all about you once you have children and beware once she does, cuz she'll never even get to enjoy a church meeting again. I didn't even bring up the fact that she got to enjoy a session at the Conference center bc my husband got her tickets :glare: but I probably should have.

My favorite talk was by I can't really remember his name, Elder Gibbons?:001_huh: It was this afternoon about parenting. So absolutely what I needed to hear after yesterday's fiasco. I really felt like I needed some divine help to go on with this parenting thing, it's just so hard :crying: Of course, I also enjoyed Elder Holland's and Elder Scott's. Was anyone else crying over Elder Scott talking about his wife and children? I thought it was so sweet, all the wonderful things he said about her.

You know....I think you may be on to something. Possibly the reason the sessions seem so much better now is that my youngest is eight and my autistic one is not nearly so out of control as once he was. I can not only hear what is being said, I have the mental space to think about it too...lol. They squabbled a little, but mostly they sat and listened. To ALL the sessions. :svengo:

One thing that helped us when the kids were smaller was to have a few special toys that we only got out during conference. Also, we have developed a tradition of "conference snacks". Instead of serving regular meals on conference days I serve fun finger foods and a few junky snacks they don't regularly get to have, and I serve them during conference sessions in front of the TV. I dole them out a few at a time throughout the session, and it keeps everyone's mouths busy doing something other than making noise. Now the noise isn't so much of an issue, but the tradition has stuck.

Also, there were a few years there when we just had the kids pick one session per day and then let them play in the other room during the other one. Mostly because Mom needed to be able to hear at least ONE session. The little imps.

Enjoy them when they're small, though. I know it's totally cliche' but you'll miss the littles a little when they're bigs.

I also identified with the one on parenting. After the past couple weeks with my son, it was a nice refresher. :D

There were a couple that touched pretty heavily on parenting. And they were all good. I totally giggled about the parenting 505 comment. Ds is definitely advanced graduate level stuff, I tell ya. And I was about to say his sister is more the 101 level, but I frequently suspect she's really the professor.

Are you guys talking about the "do" and "be" talk? Because I was sooooo nudging my hubby multiple times during that one. :lol: He's more of a "Go to your room!" type parent, and I'm more of a "Why did you do that? It wasn't nice of you to do that because ______. What can we do next time that might be better?" parent. It was nice to see my philosophy of teaching-heavy "discipline" put forth so eloquantly. :lol:

I loved the "do" and "be" talk. Who was that again? (I'll be glad when they label those things on the archive page. Then we can link to what we're talking about. I can never remember who said what without looking.) I thought he explained the faith/works issue beautifully.

You know....I think you may be on to something. Possibly the reason the sessions seem so much better now is that my youngest is eight and my autistic one is not nearly so out of control as once he was. I can not only hear what is being said, I have the mental space to think about it too...lol. They squabbled a little, but mostly they sat and listened. To ALL the sessions. :svengo:

One thing that helped us when the kids were smaller was to have a few special toys that we only got out during conference. Also, we have developed a tradition of "conference snacks". Instead of serving regular meals on conference days I serve fun finger foods and a few junky snacks they don't regularly get to have, and I serve them during conference sessions in front of the TV. I dole them out a few at a time throughout the session, and it keeps everyone's mouths busy doing something other than making noise. Now the noise isn't so much of an issue, but the tradition has stuck.

Also, there were a few years there when we just had the kids pick one session per day and then let them play in the other room during the other one. Mostly because Mom needed to be able to hear at least ONE session. The little imps.

Enjoy them when they're small, though. I know it's totally cliche' but you'll miss the littles a little when they're bigs.

Very good ideas. I will keep that in mind for the next one. My oldest is usually a 101 type kid and his little brother is the 505 kid. And they did so good yesterday, they probably just hit their limit. But it's so funny bc when my sister was whining about it, they were both actually sitting, but just making noise and talking and she was upset that she couldn't hear. I guess I'm used to it, I could actually hear over their noise, but was thinking, "Umm...hello, they're sitting still. What more do you want?":001_huh:

And as for your last sentence, I'd been seeing people say that on these boards so much, I figured I should stop wasting time complaining about all they do. I got a 3 subject notebook and put their names on each one and have been *trying* to write down all the cute things they do. And trying to enjoy hugs and make sweet memories and not worry that DS2 is literally :willy_nilly: (my mom calls him "busy" :D). But yesterday, I guess I was so tired and DS1 was whining so much, then I caught him kicking his brother and I just snapped. Yelled and sent him up to his room without dinner. More arguing, more yelling, lots and lots of tears. Once I was sure he got the message (I've never had that as discipline before, I usually send him up to his room until dinner's ready), he did come down and was as polite as could be. But after he went to bed, I just had so much guilt over being such a failure. DH came home from work and made me feel better and baby girl slept 9 hours last night :party: I'm feeling much more in control today. I just hate when I snap like that :crying: kwim?

That is the one that I was referring to. So amazing. And when Elder Holland was talking about the one talk that seems like it was meant for you, I just kept thinking about how good it was.

Very good ideas. I will keep that in mind for the next one. My oldest is usually a 101 type kid and his little brother is the 505 kid. And they did so good yesterday, they probably just hit their limit. But it's so funny bc when my sister was whining about it, they were both actually sitting, but just making noise and talking and she was upset that she couldn't hear. I guess I'm used to it, I could actually hear over their noise, but was thinking, "Umm...hello, they're sitting still. What more do you want?":001_huh:

And as for your last sentence, I'd been seeing people say that on these boards so much, I figured I should stop wasting time complaining about all they do. I got a 3 subject notebook and put their names on each one and have been *trying* to write down all the cute things they do. And trying to enjoy hugs and make sweet memories and not worry that DS2 is literally :willy_nilly: (my mom calls him "busy" :D). But yesterday, I guess I was so tired and DS1 was whining so much, then I caught him kicking his brother and I just snapped. Yelled and sent him up to his room without dinner. More arguing, more yelling, lots and lots of tears. Once I was sure he got the message (I've never had that as discipline before, I usually send him up to his room until dinner's ready), he did come down and was as polite as could be. But after he went to bed, I just had so much guilt over being such a failure. DH came home from work and made me feel better and baby girl slept 9 hours last night :party: I'm feeling much more in control today. I just hate when I snap like that :crying: kwim?

Oh yes, I K exactly W you M. I think we've all had those moments. :grouphug:

I'm glad you're feeling better today. What a great idea with the notebooks! I wish I'd written down more of dd's childhood. I go back now and look at the few things I did jot down and it just makes me giggle. She has SUCH an imaginagion.

I am kind of glad I didn't write down more of ds's time as a "little", though. The haze of time helps me put the bad bits in perspective better and focus on the periodic moments of brilliance that shine through the murk. Some things it's better to forget. When we get to the other side I want to have a sit-down with my academic advisor and figure out how we got signed up to defend a doctoral thesis when all we really wanted was Parenting 101. I mean, it would have at least been nice to know what the thesis was, going in. Or...on second thought...maybe it's better we didn't know what was coming down the pike. We might have been too scared to go through with it. It has been a wild ride in some ways, but so amazing and...there's not a word for what I mean...but it has made me grow in such unexpected, sometimes painful, but also wonderful ways. I wouldn't trade it. But when it's all over with I would like an exit interview...lol.

Edited by MamaSheep

Lynn G. Robbins is the one who gave the "Do/Be" talk.

And I think from now on I'm going to refer to my kids as Bedlamites. :lol:

3 Bedlamites here too. :lol: I thought that was funny and soooo true.

Parenting 505 here too. It is not for the faint of heart, that is for sure. :tongue_smilie: The Do vs. Be talk was amazing. There were so many great talks. I thought that the tone of conference was very uplifting and encouraging, even more than usual. It was just the lift I needed. :001_smile:

Ds burst into a fit of giggles when they announced the next speaker as "C. Scott Grow". I had to explain to dd why that was funny.

It's even better than that. His dad's name is Cecil Wood Grow and his mother's is Elsie May Grow. His father is tall and his mother is short, which adds to the joke. He was my husband's mission president and has a good time with his name.

I hope he has a grandchild someday with Will for a middle name.

I just love Conference...and always feel a bit sad when it is over!

We are also living with a bunch of Bedlamites! :D

I also laughed at the C. Scott Grow. (Then we launched into a conversation guessing what kind of C name he had that made him go by the middle name.)

I thought of this forum when Elder Uchtdorf (I think it was) spoke about using media outlets to share our testimonies.

Talking about writing down the cute things kids do...today dd3 (our youngest) was playing with the olders between sessions. They were playing dress up (and making a HUGE mess in the house...but they were getting along, miracle). It kept changing who they were being, but we had Little Red Riding Hood, a big bad wolf, then cops, then soldiers...you know how it is. And suddenly dd3 puts her arms up in the air and says in a really scary kind of voice (like BEWARE....I'm going to get you-type of thing) she yells, "I am the Holy Ghost!" Man...this girl CRACKS me up!

Ah...Amira, thanks for the background info on Elder Grow! Now methinks his first name is Cecil and he is called Scott so as not to be confused with his father...perhaps? That is funny about his parents' names! I love it!

Edited by cougarmom4

We watch Conference on our computer, but we move aside the office chair and lug our 5-person LoveSac infront of it, so we can all lounge together in semi-comfort.

My DD thought the open space under the desk would be a great hide-out, so she grabbed a paper and crayon, wrote "Raia's HideOut" on it, then stuck it to the desk using produce stickers because she couldn't find the tape. :lol: (and I felt a bit of homeschooling-mommy-pride that she spelled it correctly. :p ) Her younger brother had to get in on the act, so he draped a blanket down off the top bunk of the bunk bed he shares with his sister, and had me write a "hide out" sign for him as well, which he taped up with duct tape.

I'm thinking next General Conference might see us starting the "tents pitched towards the Temple" tradition. :lol:

I also laughed at the C. Scott Grow. (Then we launched into a conversation guessing what kind of C name he had that made him go by the middle name.)...

Ah...Amira, thanks for the background info on Elder Grow! Now methinks his first name is Cecil and he is called Scott so as not to be confused with his father...perhaps? That is funny about his parents' names! I love it!

Yes, his first name is Cecil. Not too exciting. I usually wonder the same thing.

It's even better than that. His dad's name is Cecil Wood Grow and his mother's is Elsie May Grow. His father is tall and his mother is short, which adds to the joke. He was my husband's mission president and has a good time with his name.

That is hilarious. I always giggle a little when they announce that C. Scott Grow is speaking.

I LOL at the parenting 505 comment. In fact my DH had stepped out, and I rewound it and played it back for him.

Still have yet to watch the Sat Afternoon session, but we caught the other three. So good. I really loved Elder Eyring's talk in the Sun Morning session and the parenting talk this afternoon was AMAZING and just what I needed to hear. I need to go back and re-read it as things were a little chaotic and I missed some pieces of it.

Oh that is even better. I'll have to pass that along. I'm so glad you shared!

I thought of you while I was watching and wondered if it would be helpful to post notes on each of the talks for you, or if you'll be able to access print versions soon enough that it wouldn't matter.

Talking about writing down the cute things kids do...today dd3 (our youngest) was playing with the olders between sessions. They were playing dress up (and making a HUGE mess in the house...but they were getting along, miracle). It kept changing who they were being, but we had Little Red Riding Hood, a big bad wolf, then cops, then soldiers...you know how it is. And suddenly dd3 puts her arms up in the air and says in a really scary kind of voice (like BEWARE....I'm going to get you-type of thing) she yells, "I am the Holy Ghost!" Man...this girl CRACKS me up!

BWAHAHAHAAAA! That is GREAT! :lol:

(My dh and I decided that our children's Bedlamite nature is genetic, since they are descended from a couple of Bedlamite parents. Poor souls, never had a chance.)

We watch Conference on our computer, but we move aside the office chair and lug our 5-person LoveSac infront of it, so we can all lounge together in semi-comfort.

My DD thought the open space under the desk would be a great hide-out, so she grabbed a paper and crayon, wrote "Raia's HideOut" on it, then stuck it to the desk using produce stickers because she couldn't find the tape. :lol: (and I felt a bit of homeschooling-mommy-pride that she spelled it correctly. :p ) Her younger brother had to get in on the act, so he draped a blanket down off the top bunk of the bunk bed he shares with his sister, and had me write a "hide out" sign for him as well, which he taped up with duct tape.

I'm thinking next General Conference might see us starting the "tents pitched towards the Temple" tradition. :lol:

:lol:...tents...:lol:

I love you ladies. You crack me up.

My technophile dh has been pining for a big flat-screen tv for the longest time. We recently got our tax refund back (which was bigger than anticipated, since our income was lower than expected last year) and I told him I thought it was only fair for him to get his tv, because he has had to put it off for so long and spend the money for other needed things. So we went out on Saturday between sessions and got the one he's had his eye on. We set it up last night, and got to watch conference larger than life and with digital in our little living room today. Way cool! I mentioned this on Facebook and one of my friends teased us about ignoring the Super Bowl and March Madness, but going out and buying a big-screen to watch the apostles...lol. I admit we're a little quirky, but nobody here is into sports. This evening dh and ds turned on Mythbusters so they could see the explosions on the big screen, though. Ka-BOOM!

Oh that is even better. I'll have to pass that along. I'm so glad you shared!

I thought of you while I was watching and wondered if it would be helpful to post notes on each of the talks for you, or if you'll be able to access print versions soon enough that it wouldn't matter.

They've done an amazing job with getting audio files up that aren't too huge, so we're slowly downloading everything. It'll take a while to get through all the sessions in two languages, but it's going okay. And there are lots of places online where I can read summaries of what happened.

They've done an amazing job with getting audio files up that aren't too huge, so we're slowly downloading everything. It'll take a while to get through all the sessions in two languages, but it's going okay. And there are lots of places online where I can read summaries of what happened.

They really are doing a great job of making it available, aren't they? Happy listening. :)

We actually got a different tv (granted, our old one was 16 years old) with HDMI plug-ins so that we could plug our laptop into the tv so that we weren't all huddled around a tiny screen. Our boys made some awesome lego creations.

Elder Eyring rocked every talk he gave---go check out the one he gave at the YW broadcast as well.

I love coming away from Conference after hearing 10 hours of people teach about Christ, testify about Christ, and show us how we can better serve others and lead our families.