Menu

I can do this, right?

I know no one here "knows" me or my family, but I need some words of encouragement. Friday is the first day of registration for the cyber school I want to put both kids in. They're in a regular public school now, but I've had enough.

My 6 y/o has not gotten more than 3 answers right on any math tests, and they're just now pulling him for one on one support. His speech teacher is sporadic and far from consistent. His reading progress went from nothing to almost a 1st grade level, but has stalled since. He's tired and cranky all the time. He just put on weight that was lost due to (I think) rushing lunch. ASL will be part of his curicculum at connections.

My 10 y/o plays the violin, but there's not orchestra in her school. She's reading way above level (currently reading The Painted Drum at home). She's pretty behind in math. She loves anything art related but only has art once per week. She is looking forward to taking french and moving forward with ASL.

Then of course there's the part that both kids have some type of autism and both are dumped in an over-stimulating regular class!

I hope connections will be a step towards homeschooling them, but would be fine if it worked well for them.

Of coarse you can do this! I'm not super experienced or knowledgeable about cyber schools but if it means having your dc home with you I'm all for it! How exciting to be embarking on a new path with your dc; you'll be fine! Just take it one day after the next.:grouphug:

Yes you an.

I have my kids at home now for 6th and 8th grade, older one is in his 2nd year at home. They are attending a cyber school. Just close your eyes and jump in with both feet!

Best thing I ever did for my Aspie was get him out of a regular classroom! He has shined at home.

There will be days you are sure you did the worst possible thing in the world...but not every day! :grouphug:

You can do it.

I agree that the best thing I ever did for my Autistic Spectrum kiddo was homeschool him. He loves it and excels. He hated public school and got by. I consider it the best single decision of my adult life. (Following Christ and marrying my husband actually beat it, maybe I should modify to say in the last 20 years.)

I have a friend whose 4 boys are in Connections Academy, and they're very happy with it. They're home, where their health issues can be met and they can be kept in a close family relationship that's very important to that family, they have more flexibility in their schedule than they'd get in brick and mortar school, and it gives them the structure and support my friend feels she needs and didn't have when they homeschooled on their own. For them it's been just the right balance. Good luck!

Remember to love on them a lot. Reconnecting and learning to know one another again is even more important than academics for the first semester or two. It's exhilarating but exhausting to have everyone home full time again.

Enjoy your new chapter!

I started the registration process online as soon as they left for school!!! :D:D

My father is here this weekend, so I can't have them do the placement tests yet, but I will get every other thing done TODAY!!!

Congrats!

We used Connections as a transition to independent homeschooling. You can do it!

If you ever want to try to plan a field trip, let me know! I'm on the Monroe/Carbon border!