Menu

Near Death Experience, anyone?

My MSN homepage popped up with this news story, and it got me thinking about NDEs.

I've always been fascinated by them and have met a couple of people who swear they've had one.

What's interesting to me is that, of the cases I've read and people I've met, whatever their beliefs about heaven before the NDE, seem to be *confirmed* by their experience.

Personally, though I'm a Bible reading Christian, I think NDEs are caused by natural defense mechanisms the brain employs in the process of shut-down.

I wonder if I'd feel differently if it happened to me, though. It seems that in nearly every case I've encountered, the experience was, thereafter, life altering.

http://today.msnbc.msn.com/id/42191453/ns/today-today_people/?gt1=43001

Clarifying, do you mean that in the NDE's you've learned about, there was no revelation of anything new? The event just perhaps aligned with/enhanced the person's current beliefs?

What, then, made them "life altering" experiences? Renewed commitment?

Just curious.

Watching my Grandfather pass (he was not a Christian as many would call it) and my own NDE experience on Christmas Eve, made me question my present belifes and exchange them for ones that allow for more Mystery on the other side of the curtain ;).

Clarifying, do you mean that in the NDE's you've learned about, there was no revelation of anything new? The event just perhaps aligned with/enhanced the person's current beliefs?

What, then, made them "life altering" experiences? Renewed commitment?

Just curious.

Well, I guess no revelation of anything really new, but rather a confirmation of what was already believed. And life-altering because this confirmation changed their "faith" to "sight," so to speak. Many who came back, felt they came back to fulfill some purpose...that renewed sense of commitment can be life-changing.

A guy I used to work with was Buddhist and his NDE further confirmed, for him, his belief in reincarnation. He also had an out-of-body experience in Egypt during which he had the revelation that he had been one of King Tut's Consorts. (I did ask him if he could help archaeologists settle once and for all how King Tut died, but...that bit of history hadn't been part of his experience...:D ) His life-change was one of inner peace.

The kid in this story linked in my OP says his grandfather appeared to him with "wings." Well...where does the idea that people die and become angels come from? It's certainly not in the bible, but is part of some children's stories. Could the boy really have seen his grandfather with wings? That "truth" would rock my belief system.

I read of a very vocal atheist who had a NDE in which he claims to have met God. Although the guy didn't openly convert, he did finish out his natural life kind of shaken by the experience and unsure about how sure he could really be about atheism.

Just some rambling examples... :)

Edited by Gooblink

Watching my Grandfather pass (he was not a Christian as many would call it) and my own NDE experience on Christmas Eve, made me question my present belifes and exchange them for ones that allow for more Mystery on the other side of the curtain ;).

:grouphug: Was your experience recent? I think allowing for more Mystery is part of realizing how BIG God really is and how small we are in comparison. Who can fathom?

My friend shares an experience she and her then 3 year-old daughter had as they watched her 2 month-old pass away (she had been born with a severe brain defect and not expected to survive beyond a few months). It is not a NDE, but a very powerful, faith confirming story. She is, I think, working on a book about it so I won't divulge details here.

Well, for what it's worth. . .

My daughter nearly drowned. She was pulled down by the weight of the water-filled healys she was wearing and overwhelmed by the waves. She couldn't get to the top.

As she hit bottom, a mermaid grasped her and lifted her to the top where a (stranger) man and I were racing toward her. She broke surface but I can tell you that I didn't see a mermaid. My daughter says that everything had gone dark so she couldn't see many features but KNOWS it was a mermaid by the way its body moved.

We both believe it was her guardian angel but she absolute insists that her angel came in the form of a mermaid. This has not changed our beliefs at all b/c we have always believed in the intervention of our guardians.

I am aware that this will sound ridiculous to many if not most but it's what we believe.

As far as dying and seeing the light or whatever, nope.

Well, for what it's worth. . .

I am aware that this will sound ridiculous to many if not most but it's what we believe.

As far as dying and seeing the light or whatever, nope.

Not ridiculous to me. :)

This reminds me of another story out of the Dallas area. A woman jogging was hit by a truck. The guy was trying to knock her down to abduct her, but she was pretty badly injured by the impact. As the driver was trying to pull her into his truck, she was fighting as well as she could, but her legs were broken, if I remember correctly, and was unable to struggle much.

She insists that there were people running from all over to assist her, and the driver finally dropped her and fled.

When someone finally did come to her assistance...he said there was nobody else at the scene. Certainly, not the crowds she had seen.

Amazing stuff.

But what makes a near death experience, exactly that, near death?

Obviously the fact that the person doesn't die when they should have, but I mean spiritually/religiously/etc. what makes that person worth saving?

I mean, if someone is shot and they died a few minutes from the hospital and couldn't be resuscitated, what makes the person down the street who got hit full on by a truck survive?

I know some people believe it is just their fate or in their God's hands or whatever, but if they both believed in the same thing, what made one person worth saving and not the other?

Don't they both have families, friends, and people who depend on them? (Assuming they both have this.)

I'm not trying to start a debate but this is what I struggle with when looking at any religion.

Disclaimer: I'm not saying anyones' experience is bogus. I've just always wondered about that.

Edited by BeatleMania

Obviously the fact that the person doesn't die when they should have, but I mean spiritually/religiously/etc. what makes that person worth saving?

I mean, if someone is shot and they died a few minutes from the hospital and couldn't be resuscitated, what makes the person down the street who got hit full on by a truck survive?

I know some people believe it is just their fate or in their God's hands or whatever, but if they both believed in the same thing, what made one person worth saving and not the other?

Don't they both have families, friends, and people who depend on them? (Assuming they both have this.)

I'm not trying to start a debate but this is what I struggle with when looking at any religion.

Disclaimer: I'm not saying anyones' experience is bogus. I've just always wondered about that.

That's a good question. :)

In most of the NDEs I've read, the near-dead, or dead, person doesn't want to come back. So, I guess the question, "Who is worth saving?" could hinge on "What is considered 'saved'?"

I don't think that one is worth saving and the other one not; I think perhaps one of them has unfinished business to do...part of why they were put here on earth in the first place.

I'm not sure I completely understand what a NDE experience means to other people here, but I think I've had one.

After I had DD3, my 4th and last child, I lost a lot of blood - approaching 2 litres (we have about 4 to start with). After it was all over (I was pretty woozy when it was happening!), I was told that my blood pressure had gone down to 54 over 27 - and possibly lower - and the doctors really thought they were going to lose me. Still here to tell the tale though..

It makes me feel like I am living on borrowed time, in a way. It is odd knowing that just a few decades ago, I probably would have died. I think these experiences can change your perspective.. but it's easy to become blase when it loses it's impact with the passing of time.

I had one where I was sure I was drowning. I had fallen out of a raft going over a small waterfall in a section of rapids. We weren't wearing life jackets - I now see how stupid that was. I was caught in an eddy and was tumbling over and over like I was in a dryer. I realized that, no matter how strong a swimmer I was, I couldn't fight this. I made my peace with God- asking his forgiveness for my sins and asking him to comfort my family. I was starting to black out and, as my body relaxed, I was pushed out of the eddy and surfaced about 20 yards downstream. I was very shaken by the experience, but didn't think at the time that it was life-changing. However, I did fall into a difficult period in my life - depression - anxiety over a lack of purpose in my life - a realization that the relationships in my life were so superficial. I thought the depression was about lack of success in my career and finding my "soulmate" but it was bigger than that. I spent about a year sinking deeper and deeper into that hole. However, I did come out on the other side - engaged to dh, returning to church attendance, starting a family, being more connected to my parents. I don't think it was an immediate turn around, but I do believe that it was a more subtle bend in the road - one only visible from a bird's eye view.

I've had a number of experiences that have confirmed my belief and faith, that I'm not sure are 'near-death' but I thought I was going to die.

First was a car accident I had in my early 20's...I was driving on a road I drove daily, going around a very sharp turn, at a speed above the speed limit, but a speed I was comfortable from traveling the road daily - the steering wheel locked and I headed straight into a stone wall head-on....as I hit the wall, it felt like I had someone - hands - hold me back in my seat to prevent me from crushing my chest on the steering wheel.

About ten years ago, as a passenger in the front seat, I was turned to the back and had undone my seat belt to talk to the rear passenger (stupid, I know)....we hit a deer, a full highway speed, totaling the car....I didn't see it coming, my airbag didn't deploy and I had no seatbelt on - again, it felt as if I had hands holding me in my seat. I was the only one in the car without any injury (driver had airbag burns on arms, two broken ribs from hitting the steering wheel even with the airbag deploying....rear passenger had both knees injured by being thrown forward at the moment of the crash). The EMT's and police said they had no idea how I wasn't hurt....I told them it was the hand of God.

The last one was during DS's (my first child) c-section....my epidural failed, so I fully felt the surgery - the anesthesiologist couldn't get me out, no matter what he tried......it was agony - I made myself move, my feet, my hands - I had to keep moving and the nurses kept holding me down. At one point, near the end of the surgery, I had an odd peace come over me.....the room seemed to disappear, noises and voices into a vacuum. I was told if I just let go and stopped fighting it, the pain would cease. I was not a comforting voice. It was hard to explain, but it felt, through all the pain, tempting me....to just let go, but not for anything more than my own comfort. I couldn't, I knew I couldn't....so I started fighting harder, with everything I could muster.....and then, the pain.just.stopped. i wondered if I had died, but I was still awake, the surgeon was still closing me, when I talked, those around me answered, so I was alive - but the fire-hot poker in my belly pain just stopped.....despite still having no anesthesia. I had a really comforting peace come over me....a voice in my head told me I was okay, I was a fighter, it wasn't time, relax. That voice was comforting. It was different. I didn't tell anyone about it for weeks - not even DH - because I thought they'd think I was nuts.....I finally told DH and he said he wondered why I had suddenly gotten what he saw was "peace" in the middle of the chaos because he also had a wave of peace he couldn't explain - that in his own terror thinking I was going to die right there, he also had this calming he couldn't explain, he knew, somehow, I was going to fight to stay, that he didn't need to fear I was dying. It was truly weird - but we both feel it was something way beyond us ... that confirms what we already believe.

Edited by RahRah

Not something I usually talk about but with my last pregnancy I slowly abrupted at 20 wks, long story short I died on the table for almost 5 minutes. I do not remember anything, no light, no warm, no family waiting for me, nothing. Not that I do not believe in the Hereafter because I do, but there was nothing like I have heard about. I think it might have been because I was under sedation of the surgery but not sure if that is me just wanting to believe there is something more after this life.

Sorry my answer isnt' very helpful.

Wow, thank for sharing your stories.

I've only had experiences similar to Dirty Ethel (I can't type that without laughing...love it!) and RahRah...where I'd felt like there was a force guiding me to safety. Both were car accidents, in both cases I was sure I was going to crash, and in both cases my car just glided to a gentle stop. It was very strange and I was an atheist at the time, so I didn't attribute it to anything more than "just lucky," but...in later years when I became a believer and looked back over my life and the path that brought me there, I saw those episodes as divine intervention.

RahRah, I've heard horror stories of epidurals failing during C-section... I was terrified for my two. Wow. I'm glad you kept fighting.

I've not read Heaven is for Real, though I did read 90 Minutes in Heaven. 90 minutes was really more about a long journey to healing, though, than any revelations about heaven.

I've also read cases of people who claim to experience hell in a NDE - at least what they describe as hell. And others who, like mysticamethyst, experience nothing.

Thank you, again. :grouphug:

I died when I was four. I went to the swimming pool with my step-father, who decided to take a nap :eek: I remember seeing this guy jump in the deep end, and he made it look so easy and effortless. I was getting sick of getting in and going up and down the pool holding on to the wall, so when the guy left I jumped in, I remember not wanting to get into trouble. Another swimmer came in and saw me at the bottom of the pool. There is no real way of telling how long I had been under, but the estimate was 10 minutes :confused: How I survived I don't know. When they pulled me out, and EMT's got there, I was pronounced dead- clinically dead is the term I heard later on in my life. They then used the paddles, and managed to shock me enough to bring me back to life. Honestly, all I remember was a bright light- yes, I know soooooo cliche`... LOL But it's true. Eventually, though, I remember turning from that light into another?? That light ended up being those bright lights from the overhead surgical type arm lights at the hospital.

I don't remember anything else. To me it's incredible I am alive. The only injury I received from my drowning accident was a unilateral hearing loss. I blew the ear drum in my left ear, and have never been able to hear out of it, that I remember. Sometimes that's an inconvenience, sometimes it's nice to roll over when I want more sleep... LOL I do have to be careful though, because I only have one ear and we don't when or if I will ever lose my hearing I can't attend concerts, air shows, etc... That's why my need to have my children learn sign as their foreign language is strong.

For years, especially in my teen years, and as I have weaved the hard road I have, I have wondered why he sent me back?? I mean why, if my life was going to be so hard- mom gave me up when I was 4, ended up in foster care at 14, abusive husbands, etc.... But really, I think my definition... my answer comes from my kids. There was more I was meant to do...

I just read that story you linked too, and I never thought... it never occurred to me- I miscarried between my 2nd and 3rd children. I always felt she was a girl, but no one could ever tell me. I carried a lot of guilt from that event in my life. I wasn't really happy about being pregnant- I was newly married, and had a 10m old. It was also the start of the end of my new marriage :( But if what this boy is saying is true, then 'Brianna' is up there waiting for me. If what he is saying is true, I have had 7 kids, and not just the 6 I originally thought I had... that idea alone is enough to dumbfound me. I never felt like that before, and it feels like I've done a great disservice to her :(

Wow, Lisa! How scary for you and your family. :grouphug:

A few years ago, a dear friend of mine who had had an abortion that she spent the rest of her life regretting had brought up the idea of God saving the unborn in heaven. I've had 2 miscarriages...every once in a while I wonder.... I also grieved over what lifestyle changes I could have made before becoming pregnant that might have changed the outcome of my pregnancies. I have to say, though, that I find the thought of meeting them one day reassuring, rather than upsetting. God has numbered all of our days, why not those of the unborn, as well? :grouphug:

Before I knew I was pregnant the first time, a co-worker stopped me in the hallway and said, "Cindy, God wanted me to tell you that you are pregnant. Don't worry, you are going to have a boy and everything will be fine."

I laughed, then found out I was pregnant. I miscarried and shrugged off my friend's "message from God." However, my next pregnancy was ds1, followed by another miscarry, followed by ds2. So...when I picture my unborn babies in heaven, I picture them boys! :)

I don't think it's even remotely close to being about one being worth saving and the other not. I think it's more of each person having a purpose to serve on earth and when it's accomplished, it's their time. From what I have heard of NDEs, those who have them most often have no desire to come back. Heaven is a wonderful place, not a punishment. For those left behind though, it certainly doesn't feel that way.

God has given us free will to do, be and believe whatever we want. Along with that freedom comes the struggles of life, and death is very much a part of that. It's just much easier to accept death when one is of a ripe, old age, than it is when one is young or dies in a tragic way and so on.

God doesn't take people because they aren't worth saving. He has a passionate love for each one of us. We just don't always understand his ways. Just like your children don't always understand your ways, but you are looking out for their best interest every day in all ways.

Just my thoughts. :)

I've had a number of experiences that have confirmed my belief and faith, that I'm not sure are 'near-death' but I thought I was going to die.

First was a car accident I had in my early 20's...I was driving on a road I drove daily, going around a very sharp turn, at a speed above the speed limit, but a speed I was comfortable from traveling the road daily - the steering wheel locked and I headed straight into a stone wall head-on....as I hit the wall, it felt like I had someone - hands - hold me back in my seat to prevent me from crushing my chest on the steering wheel.

About ten years ago, as a passenger in the front seat, I was turned to the back and had undone my seat belt to talk to the rear passenger (stupid, I know)....we hit a deer, a full highway speed, totaling the car....I didn't see it coming, my airbag didn't deploy and I had no seatbelt on - again, it felt as if I had hands holding me in my seat. I was the only one in the car without any injury (driver had airbag burns on arms, two broken ribs from hitting the steering wheel even with the airbag deploying....rear passenger had both knees injured by being thrown forward at the moment of the crash). The EMT's and police said they had no idea how I wasn't hurt....I told them it was the hand of God.

The last one was during DS's (my first child) c-section....my epidural failed, so I fully felt the surgery - the anesthesiologist couldn't get me out, no matter what he tried......it was agony - I made myself move, my feet, my hands - I had to keep moving and the nurses kept holding me down. At one point, near the end of the surgery, I had an odd peace come over me.....the room seemed to disappear, noises and voices into a vacuum. I was told if I just let go and stopped fighting it, the pain would cease. I was not a comforting voice. It was hard to explain, but it felt, through all the pain, tempting me....to just let go, but not for anything more than my own comfort. I couldn't, I knew I couldn't....so I started fighting harder, with everything I could muster.....and then, the pain.just.stopped. i wondered if I had died, but I was still awake, the surgeon was still closing me, when I talked, those around me answered, so I was alive - but the fire-hot poker in my belly pain just stopped.....despite still having no anesthesia. I had a really comforting peace come over me....a voice in my head told me I was okay, I was a fighter, it wasn't time, relax. That voice was comforting. It was different. I didn't tell anyone about it for weeks - not even DH - because I thought they'd think I was nuts.....I finally told DH and he said he wondered why I had suddenly gotten what he saw was "peace" in the middle of the chaos because he also had a wave of peace he couldn't explain - that in his own terror thinking I was going to die right there, he also had this calming he couldn't explain, he knew, somehow, I was going to fight to stay, that he didn't need to fear I was dying. It was truly weird - but we both feel it was something way beyond us ... that confirms what we already believe.

Wow! Your stories gave me goosebumps! :grouphug:

I died when I was four. I went to the swimming pool with my step-father, who decided to take a nap I remember seeing this guy jump in the deep end, and he made it look so easy and effortless. I was getting sick of getting in and going up and down the pool holding on to the wall, so when the guy left I jumped in, I remember not wanting to get into trouble. Another swimmer came in and saw me at the bottom of the pool. There is no real way of telling how long I had been under, but the estimate was 10 minutes How I survived I don't know. When they pulled me out, and EMT's got there, I was pronounced dead- clinically dead is the term I heard later on in my life. They then used the paddles, and managed to shock me enough to bring me back to life. Honestly, all I remember was a bright light- yes, I know soooooo cliche`... LOL But it's true. Eventually, though, I remember turning from that light into another?? That light ended up being those bright lights from the overhead surgical type arm lights at the hospital.

I don't remember anything else. To me it's incredible I am alive. The only injury I received from my drowning accident was a unilateral hearing loss. I blew the ear drum in my left ear, and have never been able to hear out of it, that I remember. Sometimes that's an inconvenience, sometimes it's nice to roll over when I want more sleep... LOL I do have to be careful though, because I only have one ear and we don't when or if I will ever lose my hearing I can't attend concerts, air shows, etc... That's why my need to have my children learn sign as their foreign language is strong.

For years, especially in my teen years, and as I have weaved the hard road I have, I have wondered why he sent me back?? I mean why, if my life was going to be so hard- mom gave me up when I was 4, ended up in foster care at 14, abusive husbands, etc.... But really, I think my definition... my answer comes from my kids. There was more I was meant to do...

Oh sweetie. I'm so glad you're here. :grouphug:

Wow, Lisa! How scary for you and your family. :grouphug:

A few years ago, a dear friend of mine who had had an abortion that she spent the rest of her life regretting had brought up the idea of God saving the unborn in heaven. I've had 2 miscarriages...every once in a while I wonder.... I also grieved over what lifestyle changes I could have made before becoming pregnant that might have changed the outcome of my pregnancies. I have to say, though, that I find the thought of meeting them one day reassuring, rather than upsetting. God has numbered all of our days, why not those of the unborn, as well? :grouphug:

Before I knew I was pregnant the first time, a co-worker stopped me in the hallway and said, "Cindy, God wanted me to tell you that you are pregnant. Don't worry, you are going to have a boy and everything will be fine."

I laughed, then found out I was pregnant. I miscarried and shrugged off my friend's "message from God." However, my next pregnancy was ds1, followed by another miscarry, followed by ds2. So...when I picture my unborn babies in heaven, I picture them boys! :)

:grouphug::grouphug::grouphug:

Such amazing experiences. Thank you all for being so willing and open to share.

My husband has had one and it changed his life- but it wasn't in the sense that he died and then came back- which I have read many cases of as well- but in the sense that he was facing his death for many hours, and it changed his life.

He was a wealthy entrepreneur living the high life. His now ex wife and he were going out in a boat to meet up with friends out at some islands. He didn't check the weather and the islands being low lying, he went past them and then got caught in bad weather. The swell went to something ridiculously high and the boat started to sink. They had to bail out the boat constantly, and were suffering from hypothermia, and constant vomiting from sea sickness, for 12 hours straight. He was on the radio trying to get help but they couldn't find him- this was before GPS- eventually an oil tanker picked up his signal and they were rescued.

Within weeks of that incident, which was in the newspapers, he had sold his businesses and his whole life direction changed towards service.

My husband went into a coma as a child and died. He was braindead when he got to the hospital, and they said if he had been a minute or so later getting to the hospital, he would have been gone forever. I asked him once if he saw Jesus, or lights at the end of the tunnel or anything. He said no, he didn't see anything at all. Nothing.

Could the boy really have seen his grandfather with wings? That "truth" would rock my belief system.

But the really astounding part of Colton Burpo's story is that he did not know his grandfather. However he supplied the "wings" aspect of his vision or experience, the extremely startling element is that he asked his dad about "Pop," said he saw him and told stories about his father's life with Pop that he could not possibly know.

I am reading Heaven if For Real right now and will most likely finish reading it today.

My SIL's mother had a NDE when she clinically died after the birth of her second child. She does not describe images, but just a feeling of profound love, like a physical warmth of amazing love. She is not afraid of death because of that memory. She "spoke to God" about needing to return to take care of her children, including the new baby, who was in the NICU. This was the reason she gave for returning from death. I think her story is very inspiring and I am pretty skeptical on the whole.

My husband went into a coma as a child and died. He was braindead when he got to the hospital, and they said if he had been a minute or so later getting to the hospital, he would have been gone forever. I asked him once if he saw Jesus, or lights at the end of the tunnel or anything. He said no, he didn't see anything at all. Nothing.

This is how one of my experiences was as well.

I have had two NDE. One also included an out of body experience but no lights, tunnels or loved ones. The other was nothing at all, complete darkness with no awareness of anything at all. Once I realized that I was dying, I knew that I had to return and it felt like I was coming out of the best sleep I had every had. It was then that I realized that I had felt warm, comfortable and at peace. I did not want to come back.

Edited by KidsHappen

I have had two NDE. One also included an out of body experience but no lights, tunnels or loved ones. The other was nothing at all, complete darkness with no awareness of anything at all. Once I realized that I was dying, I knew that I had to return and it felt like I was coming out of the best sleep I had every had. It was then that I realized that are had felt warm, comfortable and at peace. I did not want to come back.

Wow. Has either experience change the way you live?

Even though I believe our physical death isn't the end of the story, I still can't help but think that, when it comes right down to it, I don't want to die...not just yet. :)

Wow. Has either experience change the way you live?

Even though I believe our physical death isn't the end of the story, I still can't help but think that, when it comes right down to it, I don't want to die...not just yet. :)

The first one, not so much because it happened under general anesthesia and I am willing to consider the possibility that it may have affected my perception of events. If so, I would have to say that general doesn't sedate a person as well as medical science says it does because I was aware of something that happened while I was out that I had no way of knowing and I had physical proof of it after the fact.

The second time is less easy to explain away and has really left me with more questions than answers. It has definitely affected the way I live my life and my beliefs but in ways that I find very difficult to communicate. It is a complex issue that I am really at a loss for words to explain. Sometimes I am more able to grapple with it than others and tonight does not seem to be one of those nights. I will say that it makes me less afraid of death and left me feeling more responsible for my life.

I had 3 NDEs as a teenager. A genetic blood disorder made me fall for a few minutes into dreams.

The first time was all black...nothingness, ignorance, void, space.

The second time was all red...passion, desire, suffering, war, hellish.

The third time was all white...goodness, comforting, motherly, safe and cozy feeling, heavenly.

After that, I knew I had to take better care of my body, which I did and didn’t have any more of these episodes for a long time. I later learned that these three colors represent the three modes of material nature: white-goodness, red-passion, black-ignorance. The ‘white light’ is considered the bright shining effulgence of God.

Then I had a miscarriage recently and lost a lot of blood and started loosing consciousness and leaving my body. Having young children to care for kept me in a constant prayer to keep my soul in this body for their well being. I was begging the Lord to let me stay here to help them. Then He guided me through my heart and told me to go drink coconuts. After doing this, all bleeding stopped and the miscarriage came to an end. I’m sure that I would have died if I hadn’t gotten a blood transfusion (which I really didn’t want to do) or drank a coconut (it’s similar to plasma). I’m amazed at how much the responsibility of having children has made me more attached to this body in order to serve them, fulfilling my duty as a mother.

Ever since then, I have been devoting a designated amount of time everyday to praying and giving thanks for this blessing of life, aspiring to be a servant of the Lord and staying forever engaged in God’s service and guided to know what that is. There’s nothing like a near death experience to help a soul appreciate the blessing of a conscious, human life.

Edited by Devotional Soul

The first one, not so much because it happened under general anesthesia and I am willing to consider the possibility that it may have affected my perception of events. If so, I would have to say that general doesn't sedate a person as well as medical science says it does because I was aware of something that happened while I was out that I had no way of knowing and I had physical proof of it after the fact.

The second time is less easy to explain away and has really left me with more questions than answers. It has definitely affected the way I live my life and my beliefs but in ways that I find very difficult to communicate. It is a complex issue that I am really at a loss for words to explain. Sometimes I am more able to grapple with it than others and tonight does not seem to be one of those nights. I will say that it makes me less afraid of death and left me feeling more responsible for my life.

Thank you for sharing. I didn't mean to put you on-the-spot. I imagine the experience would be difficult to explain. :grouphug:

I had 3 NDEs as a teenager. A genetic blood disorder made me fall for a few minutes into dreams.

The first time was all black...nothingness, ignorance, void, space.

The second time was all red...passion, desire, suffering, war, hellish.

The third time was all white...goodness, comforting, motherly, safe and cozy feeling, heavenly.

After that, I knew I had to take better care of my body, which I did and didn’t have any more of these episodes for a long time. I later learned that these three colors represent the three modes of material nature: white-goodness, red-passion, black-ignorance. The ‘white light’ is considered the bright shining effulgence of God.

Then I had a miscarriage recently and lost a lot of blood and started loosing consciousness and leaving my body. Having young children to care for kept me in a constant prayer to keep my soul in this body for their well being. I was begging the Lord to let me stay here to help them. Then He guided me through my heart and told me to go drink coconuts. After doing this, all bleeding stopped and the miscarriage came to an end. I’m sure that I would have died if I hadn’t gotten a blood transfusion (which I really didn’t want to do) or drank a coconut (it’s similar to plasma). I’m amazed at how much the responsibility of having children has made me more attached to this body in order to serve them, fulfilling my duty as a mother.

Ever since then, I have been devoting a designated amount of time everyday to praying and giving thanks for this blessing of life, aspiring to be a servant of the Lord and staying forever engaged in God’s service and guided to know what that is. There’s nothing like a near death experience to help a soul appreciate the blessing of a conscious, human life.

Very interesting; I've been hearing a lot, lately, about the health benefits of coconut. I'd also never heard (not that I recall) learning about the symbolism of the colors. Sounds like yours was a deeply spiritual experience. Thanks for sharing! :001_smile:

Thank you for sharing. I didn't mean to put you on-the-spot. I imagine the experience would be difficult to explain. :grouphug:

Oh no problem. I don't mind the questions, it's just that sometimes it is hard to articulate the answers. I did post a thread about this once but I don't remember what I said. Maybe you can finding it by doing a search. :)