Menu

TOG, MFW, SL - are there others with similar format?

I'm looking for a guide to high school courses that lays out the books to use and a schedule. I know about TOG, MFW, and SL - are there others that use a similar approach? Also, when I compare these, it seems TOG is very rigorous, while MFW and SL are less so. Is there anything in between?

I have to say, that I used TOG Rhetoric level with my older girls and am using MFW high school with the next one in line and although the format is different, I truly believe it is just as "rigorous" as TOG. It's just laid out for you.... less of the pick and choose, which makes it look easier!

Blessings

Sandra

I have to say, that I used TOG Rhetoric level with my older girls and am using MFW high school with the next one in line and although the format is different, I truly believe it is just as "rigorous" as TOG. It's just laid out for you.... less of the pick and choose, which makes it look easier!

Blessings

Sandra

Thanks for sharing this! We've got a few years to go until high school yet, but MFW is really calling to me for my son. The only other program I've even got a glimmer of interest in for those years is TOG and I just do not want to get into all the planning that goes with that.

Lisa

Thanks for sharing this! We've got a few years to go until high school yet, but MFW is really calling to me for my son. The only other program I've even got a glimmer of interest in for those years is TOG and I just do not want to get into all the planning that goes with that.

Lisa

Lisa,

I completely understand. TOG was great for us, I had the time to do the planning, ran a co-op and completely enjoyed it, then I had brain surgery.....things changed and I simply couldn't keep up anymore. That said, when we were doing TOG, there were many moms who simply didn't have time or just really didn't want to do the planning. I must admit, that had we continued with TOG, I think I would have burned out on all the planning by the second time through!

MFW was so laid out that I had to give it a try.... I expected it to be "lighter" than TOG but it wasn't. If anything, I feel it actually gives more depth because of the notes directly to the students...they are able to learn more on their own, yet you still have weekly discussions.

Lisa,

I completely understand. TOG was great for us, I had the time to do the planning, ran a co-op and completely enjoyed it, then I had brain surgery.....things changed and I simply couldn't keep up anymore. That said, when we were doing TOG, there were many moms who simply didn't have time or just really didn't want to do the planning. I must admit, that had we continued with TOG, I think I would have burned out on all the planning by the second time through!

MFW was so laid out that I had to give it a try.... I expected it to be "lighter" than TOG but it wasn't. If anything, I feel it actually gives more depth because of the notes directly to the students...they are able to learn more on their own, yet you still have weekly discussions.

What year of MFW are you using?

What year of MFW are you using?

He is doing AHL right now, and we just got our box with WHL for fall! YIPPEE!!

The WHL is really meaty..... quite a jump from AHL and AHL was great! My son, was a little wary of the size of some of the books in WHL, it was so funny to see his face as he was pulling them out of the box!

Sandra

Blessings

Sandra

That's really interesting because we were looking at MFW's reading list and we thought they were fairly far apart. Now you have my curiousity up. :D

That's really interesting because we were looking at MFW's reading list and we thought they were fairly far apart. Now you have my curiousity up. :D

One thing to remember with MFW is that there are "suggested" books for the student to pick from for each time period being studied.... these are books you would either purchase or obtain from the library.

In addition if your student is doing Stobaughs SAT prep book, there are more literature selections suggested and read during that book as well...

Some of the books my son has read this year from AHL suggestion and SAT prep are:

The Magician's nephew

Perelandra

Lost Horizons by James Hilton

Life with Father by Clarence Day

Kon-Tiki by Thor Heyerdahl

Mutiny on the Bounty by Charles Nordhoff

Silas Marner by George Eliot

There are more, but I'd have to go get his planner and he is using it....

Sandra

Would it be hard to do Winter Promise as a secular program? I would be doing the Middle Ages next year.

Thanks.

Amy

I was wondering that too but I don't think you'd be able to use The Mystery of History. Plus the other books in the package look rather juvenile. I checked a couple out of the library and they look more appropriate for the logic stage rather than the rhetoric one.

The WHL is really meaty..... quite a jump from AHL and AHL was great! My son, was a little wary of the size of some of the books in WHL, it was so funny to see his face as he was pulling them out of the box!

Sandra

Looking forward to that day for us! :D

I'm looking for a guide to high school courses that lays out the books to use and a schedule. I know about TOG, MFW, and SL - are there others that use a similar approach? Also, when I compare these, it seems TOG is very rigorous, while MFW and SL are less so. Is there anything in between?

www.TheGreatBooks.com has books to use, a schedule, exams, and discussion guides. We've used it for five years (all four years and Modern twice) and like it very much.

Blessings

Sandra

Hi Sandra,

We will be moving overseas have decided to continue homeschooling rather than enroll our children in the international school. I was looking for a curriculum that was similar to TOG, but less intensive and something that my ds could do on his own. It seems like MFW may fit the bill. I love the concept of TOG--great books, discussions, bible integration, world view etc-- but I was really overwhelmed with the curriculum. It also felt a little disjointed to me with readings from several different sources.

Would you say MFW is similar to TOG in content but a little easier to handle? Are the writing assignments laid out? How do you grade them? If I purchase the 9th grade package, does it include everything?

TIA

www.TheGreatBooks.com has books to use, a schedule, exams, and discussion guides. We've used it for five years (all four years and Modern twice) and like it very much.

Have you kept your children together in the same time period, or do you have them do the work in the specific years suggested? If together, have you found that the work gets harder in years 3-4, or is it approximately the same level as years 1 and 2?

Hi Sandra,

We will be moving overseas have decided to continue homeschooling rather than enroll our children in the international school. I was looking for a curriculum that was similar to TOG, but less intensive and something that my ds could do on his own. It seems like MFW may fit the bill. I love the concept of TOG--great books, discussions, bible integration, world view etc-- but I was really overwhelmed with the curriculum. It also felt a little disjointed to me with readings from several different sources.

Would you say MFW is similar to TOG in content but a little easier to handle? Are the writing assignments laid out? How do you grade them? If I purchase the 9th grade package, does it include everything?

TIA

This thread http://www.welltrainedmind.com/forums/showthread.php?t=252716 has a lot of really good info about MFW for high school. I'm pretty sure your answers would be here.

Looking forward to our high school with MFW!

Have you kept your children together in the same time period, or do you have them do the work in the specific years suggested? If together, have you found that the work gets harder in years 3-4, or is it approximately the same level as years 1 and 2?

No, I keep them together. This keeps my brain from exploding. And, the more dc you have in the discussion, the better the discussion goes. (ETA: My younger dc are in the same time period, too, using SOTW and other things recommended in WTM. The author of The Great Books course is a fan of WTM and is familiar with the four year cycle. While his divisions are slightly different, it still works out for us.)

Yes, I do think the work gets harder in the second two years. In a few cases I've adjusted, but generally it works out. One way it works out is to have a younger student who's not ready for the full load to read just the easier works. This eases them into it. For example, my 10th grader this year wasn't quite ready for Emerson or Shelley, but he's done fine with Rime of the Ancient Mariner and Narrative of the Life of Frederick Douglass. My twins, on the other hand, did the full Modernity course in 10th grade, and while it was challenging, they said nothing helped them more with reading comprehension than working through those pieces that were above their level. So, it depends on the child.

Greenleaf's high school literature guides have been useful for my kids who really weren't ready for the whole Great Books course. These give more guidance *during* the reading process, and several of the works studied overlap with works in the Great Books courses. So sometimes I'll have my younger kids use the Greenleaf guides and then join in on the Great Books discussions when they overlap. The Shearers have done an awesome job on these inexpensive guides. They are only available for Ancient and Medieval, but I am hoping they'll do more.

Edited by Luann in ID

Are you reading as it is scheduled? What do you do with some of the more obscure works? Of course I went to public school, but I've never heard of about 1/3 of the medieval selections. Were you pleased with these, or did you trade them in for more familiar works?

Are you reading as it is scheduled? What do you do with some of the more obscure works? Of course I went to public school, but I've never heard of about 1/3 of the medieval selections. Were you pleased with these, or did you trade them in for more familiar works?

Basically, yes, we stick to the schedule. There are years when life hits harder than others and some readings get dropped, or we get behind and go into the summer. And, I can think of a couple of instances when the cost of the book seemed too expensive considering the number of pages assigned, so we skipped those books altogether. But, generally we've been very happy with the selections and can see why he chose them.

One caveat: If I were Catholic, I would not enjoy this curriculum, and I do not recommend it to my Catholic friends.

Hi Sandra,

TIA

I would say it is similar in content, not exact, but similar, both are very good programs....

The writing assignments are laid out step by step, by step, by step....very clear and detailed instructions both for the parent and the child, I honestly don't see how they could have done it better!

As for everything you need, yes and no..... There are suggest books for reading.... and if you choose to do the optional, SAT prep book by stobaugh there are book suggestions in there.... If you plan to be overseas, will you have access to a library? Most of the ones from the SAT book are available at the library. Alot of the ones suggested in the AHL manual are also from the library. None are expensive and you could just get them from amazon used sellers or paperback swap to take with you. Feel free to pm me if you'd like more info on the specific books.

I think MFW would be MUCH, MUCH easier to use in an overseas setting than TOG simply because it is so complete and well put together. No surprises of pick this or this, then you need something else at the last minute.

Just my opinion

No, I keep them together. This keeps my brain from exploding. And, the more dc you have in the discussion, the better the discussion goes. (ETA: My younger dc are in the same time period, too, using SOTW and other things recommended in WTM. The author of The Great Books course is a fan of WTM and is familiar with the four year cycle. While his divisions are slightly different, it still works out for us.)

Yes, I do think the work gets harder in the second two years. In a few cases I've adjusted, but generally it works out. One way it works out is to have a younger student who's not ready for the full load to read just the easier works. This eases them into it. For example, my 10th grader this year wasn't quite ready for Emerson or Shelley, but he's done fine with Rime of the Ancient Mariner and Narrative of the Life of Frederick Douglass. My twins, on the other hand, did the full Modernity course in 10th grade, and while it was challenging, they said nothing helped them more with reading comprehension than working through those pieces that were above their level. So, it depends on the child.

Greenleaf's high school literature guides have been useful for my kids who really weren't ready for the whole Great Books course. These give more guidance *during* the reading process, and several of the works studied overlap with works in the Great Books courses. So sometimes I'll have my younger kids use the Greenleaf guides and then join in on the Great Books discussions when they overlap. The Shearers have done an awesome job on these inexpensive guides. They are only available for Ancient and Medieval, but I am hoping they'll do more.

Thank you for your detailed answer! You've given me a lot to think about. :001_smile:

Hi Luann,

After reading this thread, I checked out the link and am now seriously considering it. One question if you don't mind...do you use an additional history text alongside the Great Books and worldview selections?

Thank you,

Karen

The short answer to that is: I haven't thought it was necessary for us to assign an additional history text, but it would depend on your goals and the dynamics of your homeschool.

And now the long answer:

First, several of the readings on the lists *are* from history texts. (Off the top of my head: Turning Points, Roots of American Order, History of the American People.)

Second, I require them to do a context paper for each new reading. They follow the directions in the chapter of WTM "Great Books: History and Reading" under the section "Book Contexts". So, they are using history texts to do this sort of research, but they aren't reading straight through those texts. We begin our discussions by having them summarize what they learned.

Third, I have the kids take the Western Civ I & II CLEPs. After doing The Great Books, they don't have to study long and it fills in any of those dreaded "holes." Plus they get college credit for the tests.

Fourth, if you haven't read this article on The Great Books website, I highly recommend it no matter what curriculum you're using. #7 on his list is something we nearly always do and it has been very beneficial.

Next year, I plan to cut back a little on the readings on the schedule for some of the kids, so that we can read SWB's History of the Ancient World. 17yos loves history and Great Books and never wants to skip anything. He's planning to do the whole list in addition to rereading SWB's book, which he has already read. (He's my only kid like this. The other older kids get more excited about science, and unlike 17yos they don't stay up all night reading a history book because they "just couldn't put it down." I mention this because I didn't want you to get the impression that all my kids are like 17yos and that that's why I don't always feel the need to assign a history text.)

HTH.

Edited by Luann in ID
added

Thank you, Luann,

I had thought of doing the WTM rhetoric contexts along with TGB course reading. It would seem to tie everything together and, perhaps most importantly, make me feel like we had crossed that "t." But, like you, I would like for my current students to ready SWB's high school history text. However, combining that will all of Baldwin's list seems overwhelming. Lightening the literature load and using SWB's books appeals to me, too. My third son is like your 17 year old--there is no such thing as too much history and literature reading! The older are not like that, and are probably secretly glad that they were too far along for Susan's new books.

The short reply: many thanks for your long version. It helped immensely!

Warmly,

Karen

• 4 months later...

Luann, I know that this is an older thread but could you please tell me if there is quite a bit of worldview included in TGB? I was looking at the first year and recognized a few worldview books.

Also, is there some hand-holding in the course? I see that some books have guides and I saw the reading schedule but could you explain to me how the program works? Are there book end tests for each book or would I be more on my own? Would this type of socratic education work with just one child and myself (without the discussion group)?

All of your previous answers have been very helpful to me. Thank-you.:)

Luann, I know that this is an older thread but could you please tell me if there is quite a bit of worldview included in TGB? I was looking at the first year and recognized a few worldview books.

Also, is there some hand-holding in the course? I see that some books have guides and I saw the reading schedule but could you explain to me how the program works? Are there book end tests for each book or would I be more on my own? Would this type of socratic education work with just one child and myself (without the discussion group)?

All of your previous answers have been very helpful to me. Thank-you.:)

There is quite a bit of worldview. The program is the brainchild of a couple of the speakers/board members from Worldview Academy.

The hand holding comes in the form of the guides which have questions about the work being discussed and detailed answers to those questions, as well as an overview article at the end discussing some aspect of worldview which is related to the work. Jeff Baldwin has said that he wrote the guides with busy homeschool moms in mind. If I don't get around to reading the work (or if I read it 25 years ago in college) I can still hold a discussion. It's the right amount of hand holding for me. YMMV.

How the program works: Basically the students read the selections and write a context and an agree/disagree paper. (This is explained in one of the articles.) The context paper is usually just a list of notes explaining the background of the author and the times in which he wrote. This type of information is given at the beginning of the discussion guides, but I make my kids research it anyway. For the agree/disagree paper the student identifies one quote, idea, or theme he agreed with and one he disagreed with and gives biblical references and reasons backing up his choice. He's also asked to identify the worldview in the work.

Then, if there's a discussion guide, we have a discussion. If there's no discussion guide, I just ask them how the reading went (did you like it? what did you learn? etc.) I've done discussions with just one student. It works, but it goes better with more than one. I think it depends on your student. I have some quiet ones, and using the others to help them jump in is helpful. i.e. Usually one of the more loquacious ones will say something the quiet one disagrees with and the quiet one will finally speak up to counter. With my two quiet kids, one on one discussions are more painful (for me), but with my more talkative kids one on ones are fine.

At times I've added in having them use WEM or HTRB before we encounter a genre as is described in WTM. Sometimes I have the kids write a 45 minute essay immediately following the discussion using anything we discussed as their topic.

There are midterm and final exams on the website. No answers are given, but it's easy to tell if the kids "got it" because the questions come from the discussions. The discussion guides serve as book-end exams in a way. It's very easy to tell with the discussion if the kids read with understanding or not.

The easiest way to see if this program is a good fit for you is to use the free discussion guide on the website, or order a few and try them out. For some, it's a lot more worldview than they wanted. There's no harm in picking and choosing from the list and not using the whole schedule. That's what we'll be doing this year.

Sandra

I was under the impression that WHL was supposed to come first, then AHL, and the levels were supposed to get progressively "harder" per grade level. Am I mistaken?

Luann,

I have never looked at this site before. It looks great. How long do your children spend each day reading, etc for this? Also, can you start with any year, or does it get progressively harder?

Lora

When we've followed the schedule as written, my dc have needed about 2 hours a day/5 days a week for reading and context papers plus about 2 hours a week for the discussions. My faster readers needed a bit less than that and my slower readers a bit more.

It does get progressively harder. The Ancients year is the easiest, and so on. We did do them out of order. The first year we used the program, we did Modernity with two sophomores and one senior. It was the first year he published, and we happened to be on moderns that year in our 4-yr cycle, so it worked out perfectly for us.

Edited by Luann in ID

I was under the impression that WHL was supposed to come first, then AHL, and the levels were supposed to get progressively "harder" per grade level. Am I mistaken?

Blessedmom,

AHL is for the first year, then WHL, then the last two involve US History-along w/ some other subjects (Govt, Economics, etc).

You can check it out here:

http://www.mfwbooks.com/category/M50/50#curriculum 

HTH! :)

Blessedmom,

AHL is for the first year, then WHL, then the last two involve US History-along w/ some other subjects (Govt, Economics, etc).

You can check it out here:

http://www.mfwbooks.com/category/M50/50#curriculum 

HTH! :)

I mistakenly thought that AHL was American History and Literature :blush5: Whoops...I need to take a break!

• 2 weeks later...

This looks quite interesting. I went to their site, but I'm still not exactly sure how this works (or what the cost is). How does this compare to TOG Rhetoric as far as the teacher helps (background info, discussion helps and questions, etc.?)

This looks quite interesting. I went to their site, but I'm still not exactly sure how this works (or what the cost is). How does this compare to TOG Rhetoric as far as the teacher helps (background info, discussion helps and questions, etc.?)

I don't know if Luann in ID is following this thread, but I can tell you about our experience. The course if basically free. The only cost is for the study guides and the books, if you need them. There aren't any teacher helps except for the study guides (which are really, really good) and a few online quizzes. If you look at the list of required resources in the curriculum, you can see which books have an accompanying study guide - they are marked with an *. The rest is just reading/self education.

Oh, me too. Notgrass (who write the texts for MFW) recommends that you start with EWH (world history) then EAH (American history). I can see why this is confusing!

To clarify.... Notgrass doesn't "write the texts for MFW". Rather, MFW uses the Notgrass World History text as the history spine for years 1 and 2... Ancients/Old Testament in year 1, and everything from Christ forward (and New Testament) in year 2.

Notgrass World History is a two-volume set plus In Their Words... all of which MFW schedules and spreads out over two years, along with a complete reading of the Bible and many other resources.

MFW doesn't use the Exploring American History from Notgrass at all.

If someone wants to use Notgrass by itself (without MFW), here's their (Notgrass') response about which year to do which course: http://www.notgrass.com/faq.php

When should I do each course? Does the order matter?

We recommend Exploring World History anytime 9th-12th grade, and we recommend Exploring America for 10th-12th grade. Exploring Government and Exploring Economics are good for 11th or 12th grade. However, you do not have to do our courses in a particular order. Each course can be done during any high school year.

HTH someone. :)