Menu

DD needs a tankini that will stay put!

I suppose she could get a one-piece suit, but she is very short, and in order to get coverage on her (ample) bottom without the suisagging or my having to alter the top to shorten the straps, we were hoping to find a tankini. She has never worn one but has tried one on. The one she tried on pulled showed her belly button - she didn't like that at all (and neither did her daddy!).

What we do is buy suits plus rash guards which are longer and eliminate much of the sunblock needs. My dd wanted the swim shorts from Lands End and the tankini top with the rash guard. The swim shorts have nice coverage below, and the rash guard assures sun protection up top. You can call and talk to them, too; their reps are usually very helpful.

Last year we found a REALLY cute swim dress at Target. It comes above the breast tissue, cover the bum entirely and has a cute little ruffle. Here are some pics:

Sideandbackofsuit.jpgfrontofsuit.jpg

I am hoping to find another this year :)

I think this would be great for her. I will check Target, although I know styles change from one year to the next. Thanks!

My daughter is 11 and is getting to the very modest age. She does not want her tummy to show, even when she raises her arms. Can anyone recommend a tankini that doesn't show the midrift? I would be grateful! Thanks.:)

Look at the Land's End suits. We've had them for years and they've even lasted well enough to be handed down. They have some styles with longer bodies this year that are really cute.

Last year when my dd was 12, she picked out pieces from Lands End--a tankini top and a full coverage bottom. She was very happy with the choice. If your dd is up to small womens sizing you might want to check them out.

:iagree:

We've never gone wrong with Lands' End Tankinis. Dd wears hers to swim class and during the summer. We have to purchase the slims because she is so long and slim, but her abdomen never shows. I would take advantage of the online help for sizing because I have read that they messed up the sizing this year. We have never had a problem in the past with their suits.

I also highly recommend Land's End. I've been buying my tankinis there for years and I've started buying my daughter's there, too. They are a bit more expensive than what you'll find locally, but the quality is excellent (my suits last for several summers, but my daughter outgrows hers faster than that). You can find a fit that is modest and comfortable. Check their overstock section to see if there's something from last season on sale - I've gotten some GREAT deals this way, like $50 bottoms for $20 and $60 tops for $25. Last summer I bought my daughter's suit from overstock, and I think I paid $15 for both pieces.

Edited by HLDoll
added info

We've never gone wrong with Lands' End Tankinis. Dd wears hers to swim class and during the summer. We have to purchase the slims because she is so long and slim, but her abdomen never shows. I would take advantage of the online help for sizing because I have read that they messed up the sizing this year. We have never had a problem in the past with their suits.

I second double checking the sizing. We've always gotten kid suits from LE, but the reviews seem less-than-stellar this year when it comes to sizing.

Last year we found a REALLY cute swim dress at Target. It comes above the breast tissue, cover the bum entirely and has a cute little ruffle. Here are some pics:

Sideandbackofsuit.jpgfrontofsuit.jpg

I am hoping to find another this year :)

Lisa, is that a Woman's size? My dd is only 10 but is outgrowing 14/16 in kids sizing, mostly due to length. But junior sizing is usually too slim or too sexy. I thought about looking in women's dept, but then the patterns are more mature it seems, and there are these big cups that she doesn't need! UGH! And she doesn't like tankini's because whenever she jumps in the pool they ride up. She prefers a one piece. Just curious where you found this one. It's super cute with good coverage! Here's a link to one I thought was cute, although I do wish it was in a lighter color or cuter pattern or something.

I would also recommend Lands End. I would suggest signing up for their emails, they are constantly sending out coupons/sales.

I find the sizing to be a bit difficult. I think their suits run pretty small (I always order bigger than the height/weight range charts). If you get a coupon for free shipping, order several suits and sizes then you can return what doesn't work to Sears.

We do long sleeved rash guards (sun protection) and either a tankini bottom or swim mini (I think the waist is higher on the skirts than the tankini bottoms).

I would also recommend Lands End. I would suggest signing up for their emails, they are constantly sending out coupons/sales.

I find the sizing to be a bit difficult. I think their suits run pretty small (I always order bigger than the height/weight range charts). If you get a coupon for free shipping, order several suits and sizes then you can return what doesn't work to Sears.

We do long sleeved rash guards (sun protection) and either a tankini bottom or swim mini (I think the waist is higher on the skirts than the tankini bottoms).

Do you just order one size larger than normal? My daughter takes size 10-12 clothing. Should I go up to 14-16? That seems so big!

Do you just order one size larger than normal? My daughter takes size 10-12 clothing. Should I go up to 14-16? That seems so big!

We ordered the size 14 for my dd who normally wears a 14, but she was swimming in it! Lol. Anyway, it was WAY too big; we are going to return to sears and re-buy in a smaller size for her. Note, though, that my dd is very slim, in all dimensions, so ymmv, and all that.:001_smile:

It sounds to me like she has a shorter torso for her size, if I'm reading the problem description correctly. I'd try Lands End Plus in a smaller size. You might want to order several sizes to try and return the ones that don't work to Sears.

Edited by abacus2

My 11yod is a size XS or 0. We searched and searched and found Lime Ricki online. She bought XS (very snug), but next time will get S. Tankini top and boy shorts - very long and modest.

http://www.limericki.com/

I second Lime Ricki! I just bought suits from them for my 13 & 14yo girls who are sorta in between little girl and women's sizes. Their suits are just as good quality as Lands End. The tankini tops are nice and long but the bottoms do run very small. My girls wear size 12 girls jeans and the lime Ricki shorts size XS were very snug... it fit my skinnier daughter and my other daughter had to order a small.

Lisa, is that a Woman's size? My dd is only 10 but is outgrowing 14/16 in kids sizing, mostly due to length. But junior sizing is usually too slim or too sexy. I thought about looking in women's dept, but then the patterns are more mature it seems, and there are these big cups that she doesn't need! UGH! And she doesn't like tankini's because whenever she jumps in the pool they ride up. She prefers a one piece. Just curious where you found this one. It's super cute with good coverage! Here's a link to one I thought was cute, although I do wish it was in a lighter color or cuter pattern or something.

It was in the Target Juniors section. I never even knew they had one!! LOL She was too long for Girls, yet not big enough for Women's. I found the Juniors section *right* next to the Women's, so you have to be careful not to miss it. Hers is an XS, but she can still fit 12's in the waist. Juniors she wears a 0, or 0/1. She is only 95lbs, and 5'4" at 15. It is a 2 pc, which I like because it makes using the restroom easier. But you can't even see the bikini bottoms because the suit covers it all- which of course makes mama happy :D My DD is extremely shy, so this was the perfect suit for her!! She loves it, and got comments on it all the time.

I just went and looked at the suit, and it is VERY cute, modest. It even has the neck thing. Then I searched swimdress, and everything that came up was Women's :confused: I just checked and hers is Xhiliration, though I am pretty sure we had to pr it with bottoms from Mossimo. We wanted something *plain* black which was impossible to find. And since she is so small, we had to get string bikini bottoms, but since the top part is shirred in the sides, you can't tell she has strings.

Edited by missesd