Menu

Moving with packers advice?

This will be our first move with professional packers. I've gotten 2 estimates and they are both about the same cost. The number of boxes they have listed is different.

They said they will insure .60 to the pound and additional insurance is available to purchase.

Are there any other questions I should ask them before choosing which one?

(BTW, can just tell you how excited I am about not having to pack! This will be our 8th move in 7 years and the first time we will have professional movers!:party:)

You might want to read some reviews/ratings on the company if available on the net. Or ask people you know whom they've used and been happy with.

When we moved, the stuff we wanted to make absolutely sure was not broken, we took ourselves. (not sure how far you're moving!)

Also, some semi-valuable stuff turned up missing. So if you have particular items of value, make sure they are either explicit on an inventory sheet or take them yourselves.

If possible don't let them store it at one of their facilities. You will want the truck to stay packed. Movers stored our stuff for a few days and we ended up having stuff stolen. Also if you have tools in toolboxes make sure they are locked.

We had one good experience and one really bad experience. I'll send you a pm about who the bad company was.

Will it be a door to door move or will it go into storage for awhile? If it's a door to door, there is less of a chance to things getting stolen. We've had several professional moves and have never had a problem.

I second about making sure they don't pack the trash. Also, have a space for things you don't want them to pack. We usually put stuff in a closet.

We also did a video of all the house and contents before the packers come. If there ever is a accident, you have current content.

Take your valuables with you or things you can' replace.

Have a wonderful move.

Tell them that you don't want anything to be inventoried as Packed By Owner. Most companies won't insure anything that they list that way. We had some plastic storage totes that they just taped around the wrote PBO on the inventory. Of course those were the ones that missing and they wouldn't insure them.

The packers are not happy when you insist this so if you have a bunch of stuff in totes make sure that your estimates include packing those items and then be ready to stand over them to makes sure that those things get packed in their boxes.

We also only had stuff go missing when our stuff was put into storage. Our direct move only resulted in one piece going missing but it was found at the house they dropped off before ours and the moving company eventually got it to us. Our move into storage resulted in a lot more damage and 4 large storage totes going MIA (mainly DH's tools :( )

Don't assume you will have time to organize things when they are packing - they go quickly.

Do not assume the packers will pack in an organized way - their goal is to fill the boxes, not to fill them logically.

Take anything you aren't packing into one area, so you can clearly see what is going and what isn't.

As much as possible get them to label boxes with not just where they go ("kitchen"), but a hint of what is inside ("kitchen, utensils"). They will not have time for extensive labeling.

Label with where the items will go in the new space, not where they went in the old space. Consider having a "box room" for boxes you will not need immediately - this will provide much sanity later on when every room is covered in boxes.

Take out what you'll need before the stuff arrives, before the packers come. Consider that the stuff may arrive late, and be prepared for that. Things like your phone, important papers, a change of clothes for each person, basic toiletries, a can opener, etc.

Expect to oversee/manage your packers. This is a day to have the kids elsewhere if at all possible.

Do not expect your packers to be sober. Ask me how I know...

When the stuff arrives, do NOT sign that you've inspected everything and it's in good shape unless you HAVE and it IS. Again, this is a day to either have 2 adults home or to have someone else watch the kiddos.

Ask them to put the boxes in the room on the box label.

Try to have one room - the living room - where you can relax without seeing any boxes at the end of the first day.

Wow, thank you everyone for such great advice!

I would have never even thought about the trash. I also didn't think about the stuff we already have in totes. I love the idea of videotaping our stuff. We'll definitely do that. Didn't think about the tools either, will make sure to lock those.

We won't be storing anything, but they will have our stuff overnight as they are loading one day and unloading the next.

We were wavering on the insurance but agree that it would be worth it, even if just for the TV.

Thanks again you all are great!

You have received some great advice. I would add that you do not want to have any dirty dishes or wet towels when the packers arrive. We recently had a corporate move that took 2.5 days to pack plus 2 days to load. I arranged with our coordinator for the packers to start with the books, china, tools, etc. and save the kitchen and bedrooms for day 2; however, the packers refused to do that. Consequently, I was madly trying to do the dishes as the packer was packing my kitchen.

Make sure you keep one bathroom with soap, toilet paper, and paper towels and mark them as "do not pack". They will pack those unless they are marked otherwise.

Oversee the packing of the bedding. They were supposed to keep the bedding together; however, part of our bedding was in our daughter's bedroom in a box marked "toys". That is very frustrating when it is very late, and you are very tired.

it would be very helpful if your kids could be somewhere else!

Best of luck with your move!

Make sure they are not overbooked for the day you want them. Why? Becuase if you are thier 3rd move-and they are moving someone else, and you are the last on the list, they will be dropping YOUR boxes of china in exhaustion. They will not want to take stuff upstairs, and they will groan and moan throughout the whole thing.

Everything you will need first, put in a separate room and have them pack it last. Blankets, sheets, towels, dishes, etc. Label those boxes "unpack first." When they start taking apart your furniture, stick to them like glue. Follow them with a ziploc, you put the hardware in the ziploc, write on the ziploc the item the hardware belongs to and tape it to the item. If you can't tape it to the item, put it in a box and on the inventory sheet make a note what hardware is in that box.

Everything you will need first, put in a separate room and have them pack it last. Blankets, sheets, towels, dishes, etc. Label those boxes "unpack first." When they start taking apart your furniture, stick to them like glue. Follow them with a ziploc, you put the hardware in the ziploc, write on the ziploc the item the hardware belongs to and tape it to the item. If you can't tape it to the item, put it in a box and on the inventory sheet make a note what hardware is in that box.

Yes, or take a cardboard box marked "HARDWARE BOX" and put all your labeled ziploc baggies in there, and move it yourself.

The morning before they arrive, I go around to all the drawers (other than clothing) and put everything into gallon ziploc bags. It's faster for them to pack, little items don't get lost when you are unpacking, and the gallon size bags are a nice size for unpacking tasks, you can go through the contents one at a time and not have an entire opened box of little bits that might get scattered if you get interrupted before getting it fully unpacked.

Yes, they'll pack your trash and laundry, don't plan on doing any once they arrive.

They like to divide and conquer, so don't assume you can say "start here" and have them give you more time in a different room. Be sure you are ready for them. You *can* argue with them to get them to do it your way, but if they are uncooperative you lose, especially because they will have less respect for your stuff.

They are notorious for wanting to start with the kitchen. But you will also need to decide if you want to provide lunch. So, make a plan for that.

Overall, it's a real treat to have the job all done for you!

This is wonderful advice, thank you!!

Putting all my stuff from the computer desk and the junk drawer in ziplocks makes so much sense. I just assumed they would keep all the hardware with the furniture, but I'm glad you warned me otherwise. I have to find out how many moves they have for our move day.

I also didn't think about how they would pack randomly. It makes sense that they wouldn't be going around the house and collecting all the towels or bedding from the different areas like I would. I just never would have thought about that.

We only have just slightly over 2 weeks and dh will be gone for about 4-5 days of that for a business trip. I finally started buckling down and began decluttering today. I've got 3 big bags of clothes and a big box of toys for the Goodwill so far.

They will fill every box. This means that if they are packing toys and have room in the box, they will fill in with a towel, clothes, pillow or whatever else is within reach and will fit. When you are unpacking, don't be surprised if you find odd, unrelated objects in your boxes.

If there is something you want to pack for yourself because it is valuable or you just want it close by for convenience, pack it the day before and put it into your car. We did this with things we didn't want the movers to pack.

I don't know the ages of your dc, but you may want them to each pack a backpack or something similar with their special items so they have those close by. Put them into your car. This way your dc have those things close. If they are young, it can get overwhelming to see their entire home world in boxes and the new house is unfamiliar. Having their special things with them can help, especially if you want to keep them busy for some time while you are unpacking in your new home.

I must say, I'm surprised at the number of people that have had trouble! We've had professional movers 3 times. We lost nothing and nothing was broken. The movers were awesome! They were very friendly. Each time, we had multiple people so they spread throughout the house and began packing. As others have said, be prepared for unrelated items boxed together for the sake of filling a box. it may be a pain while you are unpacking, but remember that they charge per box and they could have closed up 2 boxes unfilled. Our items were stored overnight twice, I believe, and nothing was stolen. I did provide a pizza and soda lunch for the workers. They were very surprised and appreciative.

We used United Van Lines, but I think they are franchises. Each move was different as far as estimates and communication.

It was a good experience for us.

BTW, I took our furniture apart ahead of time, bagged the hardware and taped it to the furniture.

Two tips: The packers will usually pack together either things that stand together in a room or things that are safest packed together. This can make for some odd combinations. Our packers always marked the room on the carton, plus a serial number. I used to run around with a marker writing rough contents on each box, which helped a lot with the unpacking.

Secondly, the first time I moved with movers, I asked them to unpack everything at the other end. I ended up with the kitchen piled with dishes, the sitting room piled with books and the bedrooms piled with clothes. I couldn't move. The kitchen stuff couldn't be put away until it was washed - even a clean move will make things dusty - and we didn't have enough book/hanging space when we arrived. Thereafter I asked for the large things to be unpacked and placed, but unpacked the small things myself. They came back a few weeks later to pick up the boxes.

Good luck!

Laura